PDA

View Full Version : I don't like sarcasm or just kidding

Man from La Mancha
10-21-2007, 07:20 AM
I need to trust the people I deal with. Like 200 yr ago living in a harsh winter environment. One's word was his gold. If a person said I can find food at a certain location and I found it I lived. But if I didn't and I survived, and when I saw him and he said I just was kidding ha ha, I would shot him. Same with sarcasm. I only respect people who I trust their word. Just my rant.

Dustancostine
10-21-2007, 07:27 AM
What brought this about?

nexalacer
10-21-2007, 08:07 AM
I agree, especially on the internet, sarcasm is infuriating. How are you supposed to read sarcasm in text when it's understood through vocal cues like intonation?!

I find people who resort to these constantly are typically trying to compensate for a lack of some sort of cognitive ability.

Man from La Mancha
10-21-2007, 08:24 AM
I can't find the post now but it was recently stating it was sarcasm. I just need people I can depend on and the the poor attempt at humor that questions one ability to rely truth is a detriment to me. IMO

LizF
10-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Emoticons can help eliminate such misunderstandings :) ;)

Kregener
10-21-2007, 08:50 AM
You were not alive 200 years ago.

Man from La Mancha
10-21-2007, 08:51 AM
You were not alive 200 years ago.It's worse.

Meatwasp
10-21-2007, 09:13 AM
I agree with Man from Mancha. It was someone saying Rush Limbaugh endored Ron Paul.
I was so disappointed that it was not true.

Ron Paul Fan
10-21-2007, 09:20 AM
What are you talking about? Sarcasm is the lifeblood of this forum. I believe very strongly in the ability to boost morale which I quickly mastered. If morale is good, people are happier. If people are happier, they will donate more and they will bring that cheer when they go out and spread the message. Our founding fathers believed very strongly in the freedom of speech and so do I. To limit that would be a travesty. Thank you Josh and Bryan for allowing us the freedom of expression that some on here seem to be so willing to supress. Thank God that our founding fathers didn't listen to these people or we'd all be thrown in jail or possibly killed for speaking up against the government.

freedominnumbers
10-21-2007, 09:23 AM
On the other hand the limbaugh poster could say he hates gullibility.:D

Meatwasp
10-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't think he meant he wanted to stop sarcasm. He just didn't like it

Original_Intent
10-21-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't mind the sarcasm etc so much as long as they include emoticons or j/k in the text to avoid misunderstandings.

I don't appreciate the misleading subject lines that get you to click and then they are like ha ha well now that I have your attention blah blah...

If what you want to say in worthy of attention, summarize it in the subject line. The bait and switch bullcrap is extremely annoying. I also don't mind tha occasional bump but it is annoying when someone posts and gets no response so they keep bumping it or even worse, post another thread on the exact same topic.

Guess what? If no one is posting in your thread, WE DON'T CARE! Like I said a single bump for something you posted during the night so the day paople see it is fair enough, but repetitively rebumping or reposting = annoying.

McDermit
10-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't appreciate the misleading subject lines that get you to click and then they are like ha ha well now that I have your attention blah blah...

If what you want to say in worthy of attention, summarize it in the subject line. The bait and switch bullcrap is extremely annoying. I also don't mind tha occasional bump but it is annoying when someone posts and gets no response so they keep bumping it or even worse, post another thread on the exact same topic.

Guess what? If no one is posting in your thread, WE DON'T CARE! Like I said a single bump for something you posted during the night so the day paople see it is fair enough, but repetitively rebumping or reposting = annoying.

Thank you! Not to mention that both things you pointed out are AGAINST the rules of this forum.

Meatwasp
10-21-2007, 10:15 AM
To the Ron Paul Fran
I am for moral boosting but when you read a false statement your moral goes way down. Don't you think?

jacmicwag
10-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Sarcasm must be outlawed - along with freedom.

Ron Paul Fan
10-21-2007, 10:32 AM
To the Ron Paul Fran
I am for moral boosting but when you read a false statement your moral goes way down. Don't you think?

Yes. That isn't the sarcasm I'm refering to. That's just a stupid joke that should be frowned upon. The Rick Rolls and misleading thread titles are criminal! You're right, morale does go down when people pull that shit because it divides the forum. But morale is boosted when we're having fun and making people laugh. And my name is Ron Paul Fan, not Ron Paul Fran. I am not a nanny and I don't play one on tv. That's for sure.

Kregener
10-21-2007, 10:46 AM
You know what I don't like?

Liver.

And Brussel Sprouts. Yeah, liver and Brussel Sprouts.

And NAMBLA. Definately NAMBLA too.

These are things I don't like.

Am I being sarcastic?

You decide...

Man from La Mancha
10-21-2007, 10:54 AM
I just want to some way to trust people with out any mind games. If I was to die for a just cause. I don't want to tihnk it was just a joke. Is that possible?

Dartan
10-21-2007, 11:28 AM
You know what I don't like?

And NAMBLA. Definately NAMBLA too.

Am I being sarcastic?

You decide...

Must be sarcasm, what could you possibly have against Marlon Brando Look A likes?

McDermit
10-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Melodramatic, much?

lucius
10-21-2007, 12:48 PM
I just want to some way to trust people with out any mind games. If I was to die for a just cause. I don't want to tihnk it was just a joke. Is that possible?

Individuals may fail you, ideas can be sterling:

[IF]

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

--Rudyard Kipling