PDA

View Full Version : Holder considering going after Assange

Agorism
11-29-2010, 05:45 PM
US says it may go after WikiLeaks chief

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/wikileaks-chief

The United States on Monday said it was carrying out a criminal investigation into WikiLeaks and would pursue the whistle-blower website's chief if he were found to have broken the law.

"We have an active, ongoing criminal investigation with regard to this matter," Attorney General Eric Holder told a press conference the day after the website began releasing some 250,000 confidential State Department memos.

"We are not in the position, as yet, to announce the result of that investigation," he said, adding that the justice and defense departments were both probing the website.

"This is not saber-rattling," Holder said when pressed by reporters over what action the United States could take against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, 39, a shadowy Australian hacker believed to be based in Europe.

"To the extent that we can find anybody who was involved in the breaking of American law... they will be held responsible," Holder said.

"To the extent there are gaps in our laws, we will move to close those gaps. It is not the case that anybody at this point, because of their citizenship or their residency, is not a target or the subject of an investigation."

The US diplomatic cables, most from the last three years, reveal a wide array of shocking diplomatic episodes, as well as candid assessments of world leaders and controversial closed-door remarks.

The White House has strongly condemned the release of the documents, saying it places lives at risk and threatens national security.

US Republican congressman Peter King, the ranking member of the House of Representatives' Homeland Security Committee, has urged the attorney general to prosecute Assange for espionage.

He has also said the State Department should designate WikiLeaks a "Foreign Terrorist Organization," saying it "posed a clear and present danger to the national security of the United States," in a statement on Sunday.

WikiLeaks has defended the release of the documents, saying they serve the public by exposing "the contradictions between the US's public persona and what it says behind closed doors."

It has also defended earlier document dumps of nearly 500,000 US military incident reports from 2004 to 2009, saying they shed light on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Assange has denied that any individuals have been harmed because of the disclosures.

US officials have not confirmed the source of the leaks, but suspicion has fallen on Bradley Manning, a former army intelligence agent arrested after the release of a video showing air strikes that killed reporters in Iraq.

amy31416
11-29-2010, 05:53 PM
He'll go after Assange for exposing government "secrets," but not Cheney and Bush after publicly admitting that they authorized torture.

Seems reasonable.

fuzzybekool
11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Julian Assange is a tool for the NWO. I hope everyone is enjoying the performance. It all looks so real and confrontational. Doesn't it ? The 22 year old leaker states that he dreams of world-wide anarchy. Julian Assange's attorney does pro-bono work for George Soros' front organizations, and we are all supposed to believe this WikiLeaks CableGate scandal was all an accident of fate. BRB - I am getting some more popcorn.

Monarchist
11-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Julian Assange is a tool for the NWO. I hope everyone is enjoying the performance. It all looks so real and confrontational. Doesn't it ? The 22 year old leaker states that he dreams of world-wide anarchy. Julian Assange's attorney does pro-bono work for George Soros' front organizations, and we are all supposed to believe this WikiLeaks CableGate scandal was all an accident of fate. BRB - I am getting some more popcorn.

http://occam.co.uk/images/WilliamOfOccam.jpg

Maximus
11-29-2010, 07:01 PM

You realize this makes no sense right?

mczerone
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM

So Assange's attorney has ties to Soros (and, can you prove this?). What does that mean at all as to whether Assange is being controlled?

"Accident of Fate"? Was Ron Paul's presidential run just an "Accident of Fate", or was it some NWO conspiracy? Is there no middle ground to you?

Even if this guy is a plant - how are you ever going to convince boobus of that fact? And what difference will it make ex post, for you claim that "you knew"?