PDA

View Full Version : Can Wikileaks be trusted?

osan
11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
ALl this talk of wikileaks and the big fuss over the documents they have been releasing has me wondering whether they can in any way be trusted.

I don't know much of anything about how the site came to exist or the history of Mr. Assange.

Some of the questions that arise in my thoughts include:

who is Julian Assange and what is he about?
if the released documents are in fact so sensitive, why is Assange still alive? If his acts posed a true threat to US security, I hold zero doubt that a small team of well trained operators would arrange for his untimely demise. I cannot buy this whole line of outrage issuing forth from all the official US pie holes.
how are these documents making their ways to the wikileaks site? Is US government security so sadly lacking that insiders can ship off hundreds of thousands of documents undetected? I've worked in places where not only could one not squeak so much as a single bit past their security, they would know who tried, when, where, and whether their sphincters were itching at the time. We are being asked to believe that this highly sensitive diplomatic information was not more tightly guarded? Something here has a stink upon it.
could this latest release be a propaganda booster for hawks? I find it VERY suspicious that many of these supposedly highly sensitive memos focus on Iran and how they pose such a threat to us and the world. Seems a mite too convenient - too good to be true, so to speak.
could these "leaks" be serving as some pretext for yet another power grab? "Oy... oh look... our national security is threatened... we need more power and control to save the nation from terrorists!"

Anyone have any information or other clued-in opinions about this? Something here just doesn't feel right.

sevin
11-29-2010, 05:17 PM
uh oh.

Cue the folks who will say, "Why are you so paranoid" "Assange is a hero!" etc., etc.

Depressed Liberator
11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
oh lord...

Kludge
11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
His alleged old blog's archived copy was posted on RPFs a short while ago: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=270682

awake
11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
I am reserving judgment until all docs are out...

FrankRep
11-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Lets see what the United States / the World does with the information (that is what's important).

osan, your speculations have little value without any type of proof.

pcosmar
11-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Can the MSM be trusted?
Can the Government be trusted?
Can this forum be trusted?

Can any web site be trusted?

Can your own eyes be trusted?

http://www.newopticalillusions.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/face-black-and-white-optical-illusion.jpg

oyarde
11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
ALl this talk of wikileaks and the big fuss over the documents they have been releasing has me wondering whether they can in any way be trusted.

I don't know much of anything about how the site came to exist or the history of Mr. Assange.

Some of the questions that arise in my thoughts include:

who is Julian Assange and what is he about?
if the released documents are in fact so sensitive, why is Assange still alive? If his acts posed a true threat to US security, I hold zero doubt that a small team of well trained operators would arrange for his untimely demise. I cannot buy this whole line of outrage issuing forth from all the official US pie holes.
how are these documents making their ways to the wikileaks site? Is US government security so sadly lacking that insiders can ship off hundreds of thousands of documents undetected? I've worked in places where not only could one not squeak so much as a single bit past their security, they would know who tried, when, where, and whether their sphincters were itching at the time. We are being asked to believe that this highly sensitive diplomatic information was not more tightly guarded? Something here has a stink upon it.
could this latest release be a propaganda booster for hawks? I find it VERY suspicious that many of these supposedly highly sensitive memos focus on Iran and how they pose such a threat to us and the world. Seems a mite too convenient - too good to be true, so to speak.
could these "leaks" be serving as some pretext for yet another power grab? "Oy... oh look... our national security is threatened... we need more power and control to save the nation from terrorists!"

Anyone have any information or other clued-in opinions about this? Something here just doesn't feel right.

I suppose all of this information could have been sent to them at once and they are breaking it up . The pretext that the govt. would use this for further control does not make sense because they could shut this site down if they made that decision. Iran is not really an offensive threat . You are correct that it smells .

awake
11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Can the MSM be trusted?
Can the Government be trusted?
Can this forum be trusted?

Can any web site be trusted?

Can your own eyes be trusted?

http://www.newopticalillusions.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/face-black-and-white-optical-illusion.jpg

ha ha!... I see the face...

Kludge
11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
I am reserving judgment until all docs are out...

I'll be doing the same, but the content released so far paints most governments of the world in a very bad light. Assange doesn't seem to be attacking the world so much as exposing it, and the US Government is looking particularly corrupt.

I wonder what Assange wants us to do with the information... Or maybe this is just something he's good at and likes doing.

nobody's_hero
11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't know if it is a matter of being trustworthy or not.

Take me for example.

I already know the government is bad, and has done bad things. I don't really need proof. The things the folks in Washington do in broad daylight are enough to piss me off. I'm sure there are some things they have done in the darkness that would horrify folks, if they witnessed them.

Wikileaks is mostly for the people who would like to know just how badly they badly despise the government. I've reached my minimum, enough to start voting out people who have been detrimental to our Constitution and our freedoms. Anything further would just be a validation of my feelings, and not something that would win me over to a cause that I'm already committed to.

I've never even visited wikileaks, and frankly, I don't have to.

osan
11-29-2010, 05:43 PM
//

osan
11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
osan, your speculations have little value without any type of proof.

I'm just asking questions, hoping that someone knowing something more than I do may chime in. As I mentioned, some of this seems too coincidental to be coincidental. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but the combination of timbre and timing seems off.

Dissident
11-29-2010, 06:50 PM
What exactly has been released that could result in "a new world, where global history is redefined?" Time will tell, but their work thus far is underwhelming and their marketing ploys seem disingenuous.

HOLLYWOOD
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.mostdangerousman.org/

YouTube - Woody Harrelson discusses "The Most Dangerous Man in America" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G1SaatIp0w)