PDA

View Full Version : USPS Opening packages?

aravoth
11-29-2010, 01:54 PM
So for the second time in two weeks the Post Office has opened packages sent to my house.

The packages just contain pictures. My wife is a photographer and she orders prints for clients of hers, and the prints are very expensive. The packages are always opened, and never taped back up. The latest one had the invoice removed from the box!

Then the stupid asshat that delivered it left it on the porch WHILE IT WAS RAINING. Pictures... in the rain... what the !@#$

Obviously We are never using USPS again, but I want to know if anyone else is having this issue? And what gives these shitbags the right to inspect my wifes property?

Vessol
11-29-2010, 01:56 PM
The American Letter Mail Company would never open your mail or leave it where it is damaged :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Letter_Mail_Company

phx420
11-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I get that alot lately, other than TSA losing 2 of my bags out of my last 4 flights, I've recieved multiple packages through USPS with holes big enough to pull the items in and out. I could complain, but who'd listen.

Bern
11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Pics of supposed wife or GTFO.

j/k
YMMV: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1154065/posts

Bonus: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/03/post-office-app/

devil21
11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
USPS needs a federal search warrant to open mail. They violated your civil rights as well as damaged your property without cause.

Are you sure you aren't on a list somewhere, avaroth?

dannno
11-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure I've had my shit opened before too, but I can't tell you if it was USPS or UPS or both. Pretty sure both.

I remember one time I ordered a big bottle of calcium chloride and it looked like it had been opened.. I opened the box and the bottle had been opened and the salts were all over the box.. I was so f'in pissed.

Thomas
11-29-2010, 02:32 PM
maybe try getting a po box

aravoth
11-29-2010, 02:34 PM
My wife just got off the phone with the post office, they said that the post office does open packages and inspect the content to ensure that "it is what the sender says it is", whatever that means.

Interestingly, the person said that packages are protected by the 4th amendment (no shit), and that if the Post Office inspects it, it has to put a letter in there stating why.

How does a letter make it OK to violate the 4th amendment?

pcosmar
11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
I can understand post cards, birthday and Christmas cards, but why would you trust the government with anything important or valuable?

aravoth
11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I can understand post cards, birthday and Christmas cards, but why would you trust the government with anything important or valuable?

I guess she just figured, "it's just mail, what could possibly go wrong"

:D

squarepusher
11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
if you read that link post above, its for Media Mail only (on which you get special subsidized rates)

aravoth
11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Are you sure you aren't on a list somewhere, avaroth?

Oh I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere..

Everyone on this forum is probably on a list somewhere dude.

squarepusher
11-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Oh I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere..

Everyone on this forum is probably on a list somewhere dude.

or you sent media mail ...

oyarde
11-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Pretty sure this has been going on at least since the 80's .