PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Last chance to halt s.510, the proposed "food tyranny act"""

libertygrl
11-29-2010, 11:16 AM
This is it -- it's our last chance to halt S.510, the proposed "Food Tyranny Act" that would hand over new powers to the FDA to regulate and criminalize raw milk, food farming and seed saving.

S 510 is to the U.S. food supply what the Patriot Act is to the Bill of Rights.

Watch my urgent call-to-action video (5 minutes) right here:

http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=4DE6C8796B51029DD574A1EEB930D610

Read my call-to-action article at:
http://www.naturalnews.com/030561_Senate_Bill_510_Food_Safety.html

Share these with your friends so they may join our grassroots opposition to food tyranny by calling our U.S. Senators today, before 5PM Eastern time.

The U.S. Capitol switchboard phone number is 202-224-3121. Call that number and ask for the office of each of your Senators. Then voice your opinion to your Senators to oppose S.510.

Every call counts! Senators know that each call represents about 50,000 people. So call them now right now and join our grassroots opposition to this food tyranny bill that would put the FDA in charge of our farms!

NaturalNews Insider Alert ( www.NaturalNews.com )

Lucille
11-29-2010, 11:18 AM
It will pass.

CONgress does what it wants, represents only the megacorps that fill its coffers, and its only desire is to have more control over an alleged free people.

tnvoter
11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
food bump

BuddyRey
11-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I still think there's no way they'll pass this thing. There'll be riots in the freakin' streets. I know Congress is stupid, selfish, and out-of-touch, but are they occupationally suicidal as well?

Thomas
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
bump!!!

ctiger2
11-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I want to see them put my parents in prison for growing tomatoes. That would be funny cause my dad would get a bit upset. He loves his tomatoes.

pacelli
11-29-2010, 12:06 PM
There is a lot of bullshit propaganda being peddled about this bill. Lets get one thing straight- more laws aren't the solution. But I've personally read the whole damned thing (including the first 120 some pages that are all crossed out), and the words "seed" and "garden" do not appear in the entirety of the text.

KCIndy
11-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Here's a link to the text of the bill, if anyone is interested:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:s510rs.txt.pdf

It's in PDF format. The first 119 pages are strikeouts, as Pacelli mentioned earlier.

I'll call in my opposition for what good it will do. Unfortunately, it seems that the trend for the government lately is to do what it wants, law or no law, and the Constitution be damned. :mad::mad:

libertygrl
11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
LATEST UPDATE FROM: dr.laibow@gmail.com

Noon: The latest Word from DC: the Senate schedule, which showed the Monday session starting at 9:30 AM and taking up S.510 after "morning business" now shows the morning session starting at 2 PM -- this means lots of "back-room" wheeling and dealing as the Bigs try to rescue their fake "food safety" bill from our growing Push Back!

Keep on pushing back! Call, email, call, email, call...

Another two hours for push back...

Watch the action here: http://www.c-span.org/Watch/C-SPAN2.aspx

libertygrl
11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Easy way to contact your Senators From CFL:

Dear Friend of Liberty,

The FDA is craving the power to shut down small food businesses on a whim, and their allies in the Senate are pushing TODAY to make that happen.

Take action now by contacting your senators! Tell them to vote AGAINST S. 510, the War on Food bill, on every vote – including cloture:

http://senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Say no to faceless, international elites dictating what you and your family can and can't eat.

Tell your representative that the FDA needs to be held accountable for its failures, not rewarded for them.

Remind them that Big Ag is aiming to destroy competing food producers like the independent family farm, where the free market works every day to provide the public with safe, affordable food.

Please take action and contact both of your senators today! Tell them to vote AGAINST S. 510.

In Liberty,

John Tate

pacelli
11-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Just a couple points from the bill itself, linked above thanks to KCIndy:

First, this bill is another attempt actually written years ago:

FOOD SAFETY CAPACITY BUILDING GRANTS.—Section 317R(b) of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 247b–20(b)) is amended—
(1) by striking ‘‘2002’’ and inserting ‘‘2010’’;
and
(2) by striking ‘‘2003 through 2006’’ and inserting ‘‘2011 through 2014’’.

The FUNDING:

(1) $825,000,000 for fiscal year 2010; and
(2) such sums as may be necessary for fiscal years 2011 through 2014.

And this has to do with schools and the establishment of "voluntary" guidelines regarding food allergies:

develop guidelines to be used on a voluntary basis to develop plans for individuals to manage the risk of food allergy and anaphylaxis in schools and early childhood education programs; and

(ii) make such guidelines available to local educational agencies, schools, early
childhood education programs, and other interested entities and individuals to be implemented on a voluntary basis only.

Lucille
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Fighting tyranny is so exhausting.

We Better Act Fast--The Food Terrorism and Sedition Act Comes Up Monday (http://www.thecompletepatient.com/journal/2010/11/28/we-better-act-fast-the-food-terrorism-and-sedition-act-comes.html)

Bigger picture, S 510 has been used to pile a bunch of repressive measures affecting control of our food, and eventually, control of our health--authority to quarantine parts of the country, do warrantless searches of food producers, establish "Good Agricultural Practices", implement "scientific standards" of its choice, and gain more control of intrastate food commerce. Amazingly, some high-profile foodies trust the FDA with all this added authority, even writers Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser, as they state in a new op-ed.

Yes, the Tester-Hagan amendment will provide some protection for some producers, but as Dave Milano put it aptly, "The hidden reality here is that rules such as these are a form of death by a thousand cuts. Undoubtedly it will be incumbent upon producers, for example, in classic bureaucratic guilty-until-proven-innocent manner, to demonstrate that they have not strayed off the prison yard by documenting that they have not sold their wares beyond a 275-mile limit, that half or more of their sales are “direct” (a term which simply cries for a thoughtful definition), and that they have not exceeded a certain dollar amount of sales. (Just wait, by the way, until the fed is finished inflating our currency.) And when those rules have been met there will surely be, as history instructs, even more daggers invented to jab into us."

And if you have thoughts of resisting the new law, like Violet Willis expressed following my previous post? Not so simple. Violations carry prison sentences of up to ten years in prison. Yes, that's ten years in prison for something that, in most cases under current state law, might be worth a citation, punishable by a $50 fine. And don't think the FDA wouldn't mind exercising its authority, just to make sure very few hold onto the idea of resisting.

As I suggested in my heading, food producers will be treated as potential terrorists, and violators as if they were guilty of sedition. You may want to call your senator tomorrow, and push him or her to vote against cloture. 

pacelli
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Senate is back in session. They resume debating this bill at 4pm ET today. Reid is talking about football right now.

Melissa
11-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I called both of mine here is Indiana's numbers

Bayh, Evan(202) 224-5623 Lugar, Richard G. (202) 224-4814

libertythor
11-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I called both Senators in Missouri.

Lucille
11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Open Congress:

Food Safety Bill Scheduled For Big Votes in the Senate Tonight (and It's Expected to Pass) (http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/2114-Food-Safety-Bill-Scheduled-For-Big-Votes-in-the-Senate-Tonight-and-It-s-Expected-to-Pass-)

It’s looking like the food safety overhaul might be the Democrats’ last big legislative victory before handing half off the Congress back to the Republicans.

Here’s a quick look at how tonight’s voting on the food safety bill will go down. At 6:30 p.m. ET, the Senate will take a vote on invoking cloture (a.k.a. breaking a filibuster) of the manager’s amendment, which is basically a substitute text for the bill that makes several minor tweaks and includes the Tester local foods amendment. Cloture votes require a 3/5ths majority, or 60 votes, to pass, and this one is expected to pass with a handful of votes to spare (the last cloture vote on moving forward with the bill passed 74-25).

After that, there will be four votes on amendments, mostly on stuff unrelated to the food safety bill. The first two votes will be on competing versions of repealing the 1099 reporting requirement from the new health care law. Everyone seems to be in general agreement on this — small businesses argue that it would be too much paperwork for them and D’s, R’s and Obama seem to agree — but the question is how to make up for the loss in revenue that would result from the repeal (about $17 billion over ten years). The Republican amendment would pay for it with unidentified appropriations cuts (to be fleshed out by the OMB at a later) and, so far, the pay-for in the Democratic amendment is unclear. The chances of either of these passing is unclear at the moment.

The next two votes will be on amendments from Sen. Tom Coburn [R, OK], one on banning earmarks for the 112th session of the Senate and one an alternate version of the food safety bill. The earmark amendment would essentially take the already-approved internal Republican earmark ban and make it a Senate-wide statute that the Democrats would have to follow as well. The alternate food safety bill would use private food inspectors instead of the FDA, require the FDA and USDA to streamline their activities, and provide the FDA with “limited new authorities” that Coburn says are “designed to better leverage the free market and focus resources on preventing food borne illness.” A section-by-section summary of the Coburn substitute can be found here (PDF). Both Coburn amendments are expected to fail.

Once these four amendments are voted on, the Senate will vote on final passage of the bill. Since final passage only requires a simple majority of 51 votes and the Senate will have already overcome a 60-vote hurdle on the bill earlier in the evening, the final vote should be a slam dunk. After that it either goes to conference committee or gets sent to the House of Representatives for a vote on the bill as passed by the Senate. Since time is quickly running out of for the Democrats this year, I expect the conference committee will be skipped over and the House will simply vote on the Senate bill. The House has already voted 283-142 in favor of their own food safety bill (H.R.2749).

devil21
11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
I emailed my Sens. I doubt they care what I think but I did it.

ctiger2
11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I actually would want them to pass this bill so people would wake up in this country. Not like anyone's going to obey this nonsense.

Original_Intent
11-29-2010, 03:03 PM
I actually would want them to pass this bill so people would wake up in this country. Not like anyone's going to obey this nonsense.

That's my feeling. They pass this law and people will ignore it. If they try to enforce it, there will be blood.

Pericles
11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
That's my feeling. They pass this law and people will ignore it. If they try to enforce it, there will be blood.
How to veto crappy laws courtesy of Niccolo Machiavelli: "Good arms and good laws go together, where the people have recourse to good arms, no Prince dare make a bad law."

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/M16evolve.jpg

Noob
11-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Senate postpones food-safety bill vote

Senate leaders have agreed to postpone a vote on two amendments and final passage of food-safety legislation until Tuesday morning, congressional sources tell The Hill.

The move would give Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) time to debate the merits of his two amendments to the legislation. One amendment is a stripped-down substitute to the bill — the other is a moratorium on congressionally directed appropriations.

"A morning vote is the right move," a spokesman for Coburn told The Hill. "Reid would be sending the wrong message to have a late night vote on keeping the lights on at the earmark favor factory."

Votes on two other amendments to repeal the healthcare reform law's 1099 tax reporting requirements are still scheduled for Monday evening.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/food-safety/130961-senate-postpones-food-safety-bill-vote

Thomas
11-29-2010, 04:05 PM
bumppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmdrake
11-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Alexander's line was busy. I left a message with Corker's secretary. I will email both.

UtahApocalypse
11-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Wish this kid could speak on the floor rather then these suits.....

YouTube - TEDxNextGenerationAsheville - Birke Baehr - "What's Wrong With Our Food System" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Id9caYw-Y)

jmdrake
11-29-2010, 04:17 PM
My email to both:

Please oppose S.510, the so called "Food safety modernization act". This is just another unconstitutional expansion of federal power at a time when the size of the federal government is already overburdening our entire economy. S.510 is actually unconstitutional because it covers food that is not part of interstate commerce. The Wickard v. Filburn case is bad precedence and it is time to stop passing laws that depend on it.

Brett85
11-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping that the Republicans can just defund everything when they get the majority in the house, which will hopefully prevent a lot of these bills from being enforced.

devil21
11-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Senate postpones food-safety bill vote

Too much opposition from us! They need more time to wheel and deal in the back rooms for votes. Let me guess which Republicans will vote for this to get it passed. Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe. Amiright?