PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Works Directly with White House in Wikileaks Release

Jordan
11-29-2010, 10:08 AM
I've pulled a Collins today after posting this in two threads, but I think it's important enough that it gets its own thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/world/29editornote.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

The Times’s redactions were shared with other news organizations and communicated to WikiLeaks, in the hope that they would similarly edit the documents they planned to post online.

After its own redactions, The Times sent Obama administration officials the cables it planned to post and invited them to challenge publication of any information that, in the official view, would harm the national interest. After reviewing the cables, the officials — while making clear they condemn the publication of secret material — suggested additional redactions. The Times agreed to some, but not all. The Times is forwarding the administration’s concerns to other news organizations and, at the suggestion of the State Department, to WikiLeaks itself. In all, The Times plans to post on its Web site the text of about 100 cables — some edited, some in full — that illuminate aspects of American foreign policy.

Jordan
11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
If I were editor-in-chief at the NY Times I would, for the next 100 days, dedicate several column inches to the best of the wikileaks material. Maybe a half page every day.

The media is pathetic. Blow the doors off this thing, people will buy your papers.