PDA

View Full Version : PRIORITY #2: Dr Paul Cannot Win Without Delegates!

sunny
10-21-2007, 05:47 AM
I don't get why you all in the forum do NOT get this........it makes no sense to me!

Dr. Paul needs delgates to win - become a delegate - that's what gets the nomination!

who here is becoming a delegate - anyone???

ADMIN EDIT: BEST ONE STOP SHOP FOR DELEGATE INFORMATION: http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/

To find out how to become a delegate, Google your State's GOP website or Google your State Elections office and seek the info out!!

When you find it, please share it here with us and post it in the delegate section of your state in the delegate forum. Thanks!

Lois
10-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Sunny,

I totally agree with you about the Delegate Situation. The only way he can win is with Delegates, yet I never see the word "DELEGATE" mentioned on here, and nobody seems to care or even understand or be aware that we have got to become Delegates or Ron Paul cannot win. I don't know why it's not a huge announcement on every page, like the Closed Primary Situation is !!! :confused::confused::confused:

steph3n
10-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Lois

There is an entire Delegate organization section.

Lois
10-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Yes, but I didn't even know it existed, and when I finally happened to read that there was one, I had an extremely hard time finding it. It's hidden, and nobody ever goes anyplace but here on this "Ron Paul Grassroots Central" forum, and maybe some on the "Other Topics", so most people have no clue.

wgadget
10-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Is there a deadline to becoming a delegate as there is a deadline for registering to vote? Seems like there would be..?

Lois
10-21-2007, 06:10 AM
And as far as I can find after searching for a long time, the Delegate information is under the forum --

Caucus & Primary Information & Discussion - NEW FORUMS!

And I don't see the word "DELEGATE" in the name of that forum at all. So like I said -- it's totally hidden. We need a forum just for "BECOME A DELEGATE".

And if you go to that Caucus & Primary Information forum, and read the posts for the individual states, the situation is dire as far as getting Ron Paul on the ballots and becoming Delegates, yet everyone on here just ignores it or has no clue.

So everyone can work their asses off getting his name out and post all they want, but without becoming Delegates, it's useless.

sunny
10-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Sunny,

I totally agree with you about the Delegate Situation. The only way he can win is with Delegates, yet I never see the word "DELEGATE" mentioned on here, and nobody seems to care or even understand or be aware that we have got to become Delegates or Ron Paul cannot win. I don't know why it's not a huge announcement on every page, like the Closed Primary Situation is !!! :confused::confused::confused:

lois, thank you, thank you! ! finally - someone understands what it's gonna take to get dr. paul in the white house!

i've posted this before and hardly get any response! it's incredible!!!

so where is the DELEGATE section??? i CANNOT find it....

the DELEGATE issue needs to be a sticky in big letters. i've requested that and NOTHING happens!

Josh, Foo Bradley - come on - why don't you???

steph3n
10-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Is there a deadline to becoming a delegate as there is a deadline for registering to vote? Seems like there would be..?

yes, I for one know IL limit is Nov 5!

murph
10-21-2007, 06:13 AM
I agree ... none of this matters until we are fully engaged with the GOP whether we like it or not. I've recently joined the county GOP organization and have been to meetings to get the lay of the land. If you haven't done this yet, then I strongly urge you to get started NOW!

sunny
10-21-2007, 06:14 AM
And as far as I can find after searching for a long time, the Delegate information is under the forum --

Caucus & Primary Information & Discussion - NEW FORUMS!

And I don't see the word "DELEGATE" in the name of that forum at all. So like I said -- it's totally hidden. We need a forum just for "BECOME A DELEGATE".

And if you go to that Caucus & Primary Information forum, and read the posts for the individual states, the situation is dire as far as getting Ron Paul on the ballots and becoming Delegates, yet everyone on here just ignores it or has no clue.

So everyone can work their asses off getting his name out and post all they want, but without becoming Delegates, it's useless.

great i'm going there now!
way to go lois!
yippee!!!

Lois
10-21-2007, 06:14 AM
I know Bradley posted about the Dire Delegate situation a day or so ago on one of the hidden forums, and that's what alerted me to it, so I'm going to try to find where it was. And I've gotten a couple emails from various Ron Paul Groups or Meetup Members, so I'm going to try to dig those up, too. It's complicated, of course.

sunny
10-21-2007, 06:18 AM
I know Bradley posted about the Dire Delegate situation a day or so ago on one of the hidden forums, and that's what alerted me to it, so I'm going to try to find where it was. And I've gotten a couple emails from various Ron Paul Groups or Meetup Members, so I'm going to try to dig those up, too. It's complicated, of course.

lois all i see is a list of states - that what you're talking about?

i have been posting about this for a while and the post doesn't get responses and sits on the back burner.

i'm gonna do a advanced delegate search here...

anyway tho the bottom line is for EVERYONE to get the info from their town or city, county and state and start the process!

Lois
10-21-2007, 06:20 AM
November 5th -- OMG!

Here's a search of various posts about becoming Delegates --

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?searchid=340872

But we need a separate forum and announcement at the top of the page.

Trassin
10-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Illinois has its delegate positions filled out. Now it is just a matter of the 19th district getting 2680 signatures in 25 days...

Lois
10-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Sunny, if you click on each state individually, there may be something posted about becoming a delegate, but usually not. I don't know of any other place on this board that is devoted to the Delegate situation.

I did just read this post by Bradley. He's the expert. I'm going to PM him and ask him to post on this main forum to explain and tell us how to become delegates, etc.

First, get the lingo down:

Voters choose the "delegates."

Before you can put yourself forward to the voters, you'll have to get the official Ron Paul campaign to select you as a part of their slate (or team) of "delegate candidates" to represent Dr. Paul in your state.

Given the nature of this campaign, I'd approach the local Meetup groups first. If there is a state or regional official campaign staffer, contact them.

Go to your local board of elections and ask them about the process in your specific state and learn the ins and outs of the rules there for that process.

Anyway, it looks like it varies state-by-state, so we need to treat it like we did the Closed Primary in Various States situation.

scrosnoe
10-21-2007, 06:36 AM
see Mirroring the Republican Party (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25858)which is a sticky in this thread that I wrote
it is phase I if you want to become a delegate in states that have a convention process to select delegates:)

Lois
10-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks, acainfonet -- that is great information and thanks for making it a Sticky.

But -- I would still like to see a Sticky with the word "DELEGATE" in it, so we all know what to do -- it's so mysterious and complicated.

sunny
10-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Sunny, if you click on each state individually, there may be something posted about becoming a delegate, but usually not. I don't know of any other place on this board that is devoted to the Delegate situation.

I did just read this post by Bradley. He's the expert. I'm going to PM him and ask him to post on this main forum to explain and tell us how to become delegates, etc.

Anyway, it looks like it varies state-by-state, so we need to treat it like we did the Closed Primary in Various States situation.

ok lois, i think i'm getting somewhere........the bottom line tho is to know the process in YOUR state.....they are ALL different.

here's info for us all:
Nationally, it's 2405 delegates total. We need a majority of 1203 to win the nomination. that's 51%.

Elections for the delegates in the primaries/caucuses vary from state to state, so you should look up how they work specifically. Get in touch with your local GOP to find out.

alicegardener
10-21-2007, 07:40 AM
I just went to Caucus and Primary Information forum for my state (Wisconsin) and found not one posting. NOT ONE

Lois
10-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Wow - now I get it !!!

If you scroll to the bottom of the Caucus & Primary forum, after the list of states -- that's where the posts are and information about the Delegates !!

Bradley just answered my PM and told me that. It sure is hidden.

scrosnoe
10-21-2007, 07:47 AM
You must know the rules of the Republican Pparty for your state. Most states do not post them on their web sites. I have Oklahoma's and am on the Rules Committee also.

I suggest that you start with your state party's website and if not there call the hq and ask until you get a copy. VERY IMPORTANT to know the rules (not that we always follow them :rolleyes:. . .), but you must know them as a starting point. Get a copy of Robert's Rules of Order while you are at it. I will be posting more on this soon . . .

sunny
10-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Wow - now I get it !!!

If you scroll to the bottom of the Caucus & Primary forum, after the list of states -- that's where the posts are and information about the Delegates !!

Bradley just answered my PM and told me that. It sure is hidden.

lois, i don't see it - where exactly?
a link please?

scrosnoe
10-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks, acainfonet -- that is great information and thanks for making it a Sticky.

But -- I would still like to see a Sticky with the word "DELEGATE" in it, so we all know what to do -- it's so mysterious and complicated.

I am going to write a followup piece to Mirroring and I'll put Delegate in the title, but it is not possible to do much detail except by state. People are really going to have to do some homework and get their own state rules under their belt quickly. The Mirroring piece is to get them close enough to the process to do that! Get to know the Republican party leadership in your county and state asap.

Get a copy of the rules and read the section on the convention process and delegate selection. In many cases it will be as confusing as can be so then you have an excuse to start a dialogue with the state party officials about what it really means and how it will happen and get to know them in the process.

Lois
10-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Okay, now I really get it --

Here's the way to find the Delegate Information --

Go to "Caucus & Primary Forum" and then click on 'GENERAL INFORMATION', and scroll to the bottom of the list of states and there it is !! The posts with information.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132

I rest my case that the Delegate Information is hidden on this Board :(

sunny
10-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Okay, now I really get it --

Here's the way to find the Delegate Information --

Go to "Caucus & Primary Forum" and then click on 'GENERAL INFORMATION', and scroll to the bottom of the list of states and there it is !! The posts with information.

I rest my case that the Delegate Information is hidden on this Board :(

ok, how do we make your post a sticky??? does a mod have to do that?

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Here is the sticky post on delegates:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=1708

Since I've been called out by name here, and pestered about it ;), I'll jump in.

One, the sticky thread provides a basic outline. I'd like to caution that the rules vary greatly by state so that it's difficult to write a general explanation. That said, a few points to clarify some confusion.

One, if everyone would please stop saying just "delegate" without a modifier, it would help (especially people in caucus states).

There are, at the beginning of the process in caucus states, "state convention delegates" (names change wildly among different states). Follow specific rules in your state on how to become a "delegate to your state caucus" or something like that (again, rules and names vary widely). At the end of that state process, the state caucus delegates will choose among competing slates of "delegate candidates" chosen by the respective presidential campaigns to elect "delegates to the national nominating convention" who will chose, eg, Dr. Paul as the Republican Party presidential nominee. (Caucus states' rules tend to be more involved and difficult and reward those who have experience with them and understand the rules.)

Most states are primary states where "delegates to the national nominating convention" are chosen by the voters in a process similar to the general election with no caucus or convention. In most primary states, the Ron Paul campaign will solicit volunteers to be "Ron Paul delegate candidates" and "Ron Paul alternate delegate candidates" who will sign a "statement of acceptance" to join his slate. That slate is filed with the state board of elections (there is no stealth approach as urged on other sites). In most primary states, the campaign will need volunteers (usually just registered voters of that state) to help circulate ballot petitions to get the required minimum number of valid signatures--but are strongly urged to get the maximum (or at least three times the minimum). What is a "valid" singature varies by state but will generally be someone who is eligible to vote in the primary (just Republicans in a closed primary; Republicans and independents in an open primary), with an address matching the one on record with the board of elections, dated, witnessed, and the petition must signed and dated by the circulator as a legal affidavit that they witnessed the signature.

In all states, the respective campaigns will choose their own slate of "delegate candidates" and "alternate delegate candidates" to the national nominating convention from among their supporters and file them with the state board of elections which become public record (there is period for public review to view the "delegate candidate" petitions to look for fraud, etc.).

When we vote in the primaries and caucuses (a few states have "conventions" or "meetings"--Texas has a weird hybrid of three: primary, caucus and convention), we are NOT voting directly for Dr. Paul for president but instead for his slate of "delegate candidates" to the Republican presidential nominating convention. The candidate who wins according to various state laws sees its "delegate candidates" chosen as "delegates" to the national convention. Think of the voting for "Ron Paul delegate candidates" to the national convention as a practice for choosing presidential electors to the electoral college in the general election (where again, we are not voting directly for a person for president but his slate of electors).

There is a LOT of misinformation out there. One popular site ("Become a delegate or Dr. Paul will not be president") urges fraud and other illegal behavior--the campaign DOES NOT CONDONE FRAUD AND ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR. One can become a "delegate candidate" for Dr. Paul only by signing a legal "statement of acceptance" filed with the state board of elections and most states then legally bind them (at least for the first, or first several votes) unless released by the candidate.

In addition to all of the various state rules, there is a second set of rules governing this whole process (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4). Everyone must comply with both sets of rules. The Republican National Committee runs the national nominating convention and posts a set of by-laws with rules. Some of those rules affect the selection of delegate candidates. The most irksome one is Rule 14(d) requiring campaigns "to endeavor" to have gender parity in their slates of delegate candidates.

According to RNC by-laws, every Congressional District (CD) is given three delegates to the national nominating convention with others allocated statewide "At Large" (AL) according to set formulae. Generally, when putting together your team or "slate" of delegate candidates in your state, here is the custom to folllow: In odd numbered CDs, select two men and one woman for "delegate candidates" and two women and one man for "alternate delegate candidates" and reverse the ratios for the even numbered CDs. "Endeavor" to have half men and half women for the AL slate of "delegate candidates" and "alternate delegate candidates."

Brennon
10-21-2007, 08:11 AM
I actually had the headquarters call me on friday to see if I could be a backup for the delegate in my district. Anyone else get a call?

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 08:15 AM
In addition to the "elected" delegates to the national nominating convention, there are unelected "bonus" or "superdelegates" to the national nominating convention.

For example, every state gets three "party official" superdelegates: RNC National Committeeman, RNC National Committeewoman and the state party leader. I am going to be on the ballot as both a "delegate candidate" for Dr. Paul and simultaneously as a candidate for RNC National Committeeman (some states allow this, others don't). IF we elect enough RNC National Committeemen and women, we take over the party.

In addition to the "party official" superdelegates, there are other "bonus" delegates by set RNC formulae such as for Republican Senators and Members of Congress, Governors, if your state voted Republican in the last election, etc. For example, Louisiana just got awarded an additional delegate to the convention by replacing their Democratic governor with a Republican one (big shout out to Bobby Jindal).

Yes, the superdelegates get votes at the national nominating convention.

Lois
10-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Bradley!

:)

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 08:29 AM
You must know the rules of the Republican Pparty for your state. Most states do not post them on their web sites. I have Oklahoma's and am on the Rules Committee also.

I suggest that you start with your state party's website and if not there call the hq and ask until you get a copy. VERY IMPORTANT to know the rules (not that we always follow them :rolleyes:. . .), but you must know them as a starting point. Get a copy of Robert's Rules of Order while you are at it. I will be posting more on this soon . . .

I suggest everyone go directly to the state Secretary of State or local Board of Elections. (Unless you live in SC where the Republican Party runs its states' primary directly.)

sunny
10-21-2007, 08:36 AM
boy o boy bradley when you say jump in you really mean it! lol

thank you thank you for all the great info!!!

torchbearer
10-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Ron Paul can't win Louisiana unless its party leadership annoints him, which they are not going to do.. the reason?
We have 41 delegates total. 25 of those are super-delegate which are reserved for party leadership in the State GOP. That leaves 16 delegate to be apportioned among congressional districts. (minimum 10% vote over all to get any portion)

torchbearer
10-21-2007, 08:59 AM
But- paul could pull a few delegates if he does very well in one or two of our congressional districts... but that looks highly unlikely in one of the most uneducated states in the union.

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 02:23 PM
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16

RULE NO. 13
Membership in Convention
Subject to the provisions of Rule No. 16, the membership of the next national convention shall consist of:

(a) Delegates.

(1) Ten (10) delegates at large from each of the fifty (50) states.

(2) The national committeeman, the national committeewoman and the chairman of the state Republican Party of, each state and American Samoa, the District of Columbia, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

(3) Three (3) district delegates for each Representative in the United States House of Representatives from each state.

(4) Six (6) delegates at large from American Samoa, sixteen (16) delegates at large from the District of Columbia, six (6) delegates at large from Guam, six (6) delegates at large from the Northern Mariana Islands, twenty (20) delegates at large from Puerto Rico, and six (6) delegates at large from the Virgin Islands; provided, however, that if Puerto Rico shall become a state prior to the next national convention, the number of delegates from Puerto Rico shall be calculated in accordance with the same formula used for the other states. [EDIT: n.b., Josh and Bryan, not all of these have subfora in the caucus and primary section! I did add some delegate selection information for them where I had it in the general sectin.]

(5) From each state having cast its electoral votes, or a majority thereof, for the Republican nominee for President of the United States in the last preceding election: four and one-half (4 1/2) delegates at large plus a number of the delegates at large equal to sixty percent (60%) of the number of electoral votes of that state; provided, however, that if Puerto Rico shall become a state prior to the next national convention, it shall be presumed that it would have cast its electoral votes, or a majority thereof, for the Republican nominee in the last preceding election. (In the computation of the number of delegates at large, any sum of the four and one half (4 1/2) plus the sixty percent (60%) representing a fraction shall be increased to the next whole number.) In addition, one (1) delegate at large shall be awarded to a state for any and each of the following public officials elected by such state in the year of the last preceding presidential election or at any subsequent election held prior to January 1 of the year in which the next national convention is held:

(i) A Republican governor, provided that no such additional delegate at large award to any state shall exceed one (1);

(ii) Membership in the Republican Party of at least one-half (1/2) of the Representatives representing a state in the United States House of Representatives; provided that no such additional delegate at large award to any state shall exceed one (1);

(iii) Membership in the Republican Party of a majority of the members of any chamber of a state legislature, if such chamber has been organized, and is presided over (if the presiding officer is elected by the chamber), by Republicans; provided that no such additional delegate at large award to any state shall exceed one (1).

(iv) Membership in the Republican Party of a majority of all chambers of a state legislature, if all such chambers are presided over (if the presiding officer is elected by the chamber), by a Republican; provided that no such additional delegate at large award to any state shall exceed one (1).

(6) In addition, one (1) delegate at large shall be awarded to a state for any and each Republican United States Senator elected by such state in the six (6) year period prior to January 1 of the year in which the next national convention is held; provided that no such additional delegate at large award to any state shall exceed two (2).

(7) In addition, if the District of Columbia shall have cast its electoral votes, or a majority thereof, for the Republican nominee for President of the United States in the last preceding presidential election: four and one half (4 1/2) delegates at large plus the number of delegates at large equal to thirty percent (30%) of the sixteen (16) delegates at large allotted to the District of Columbia. In the computation of the number of delegates at large, any sum of the four and one half (4 1/2) plus the thirty percent (30%) representing a fraction shall be increased to the next whole number.

(b) Alternate Delegates. One (1) alternate delegate for each delegate to the national convention, except that no alternates shall be selected for Republican National Committee members.

(c) Any state party may set the date for any primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention. To the extent a state party’s rules are in conflict with its state’s laws with respect to this rule, the provisions of this rule and the state party’s rules shall control. To the extent the provisions of the rule are inconsistent with the provisions of Rule No. 15, the provisions of this rule shall be controlling for all purposes.

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 02:24 PM

RULE NO. 14
Participation
(a) The Republican National Committee shall assist the states in their efforts to inform all citizens as to how they may participate in delegate selection procedures. The states, in cooperation with the Republican National Committee, shall prepare instructive material on delegate selection methods and make it available for distribution.

(b) Participation in a Republican primary, caucus, or any meeting or convention held for the purpose of selecting delegates and alternate delegates to a county, district, state, or national convention shall in no way be abridged for reasons of sex, race, religion, color, age, or national origin. The Republican National Committee and the Republican state committee or governing committee of each state shall take positive action to achieve the broadest possible participation by men and women, young people, minority and heritage groups, senior citizens, and all other citizens in the delegate selection process.

(c) Unless otherwise provided by the laws of the state in which the election occurs, in those states where delegates and alternate delegates are elected through the convention system or a combination of convention and primary systems, the precinct, ward, township, or county meetings shall be open meetings and all citizens who are qualified shall be urged to participate.

(d) Each state shall endeavor to have equal representation of men and women in its delegation to the Republican National Convention.

(e) The provisions of these rules are not intended to be the basis of any kind of quota system.

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 02:25 PM

RULE NO. 15
Election of Delegates and Alternate Delegates
(a) Order of Precedence.

Delegates at large and their alternate delegates and delegates from congressional districts and their alternate delegates to the national convention shall be elected in the following manner:

(1) In accordance with any applicable Republican Party rules of a state, insofar as the same are not inconsistent with these rules; or,

(2) To the extent not provided for in the applicable Republican Party rules of a state, in accordance with any applicable laws of a state, insofar as the same are not inconsistent with these rules; or,

(3) By a combination of the methods set forth in paragraphs (a)(1) or (a)(2) of this rule; or,

(4) To the extent not provided by state law or party rules, as set forth in paragraph (c) of this rule.

(b) Timing

(1) Except with respect to delegates and alternate delegates elected under paragraph (c)(1)(ii) of this rule and if consistent with paragraph (d)(4) of this rule:

(i) No presidential primary, caucus, convention, or other meeting may be held for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention, prior to the first Tuesday of February in the year in which the national convention is held; and,

(ii) The selection process of choosing those who will select delegates or alternate delegates shall not begin before September 1 of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held.

(c) General.

In all elections of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention, the following rules shall apply:

(1) Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention may be elected only in one of the following manners:

(i) by primary election;

(ii) by the Republican state committee, where specifically provided by state law;

(iii) by state and congressional district conventions;

(iv) by any method consistent with these rules by which delegates and alternate delegates were selected to the most recent Republican National Convention from that state;

(v) by Rule No. 13 (a)(2) of these rules.

(2) Only persons eligible to vote who are deemed as a matter of public record to be Republicans pursuant to state law or, if voters are not enrolled by party, by Republican party rules of a state, shall participate in any primary election held for the purpose of electing delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention or in any Republican caucus, mass meeting, or mass convention held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the county, district, or state conventions, and only such legal and qualified voters shall be elected as delegates to county, district, and state conventions; provided, however, that in addition to the qualifications provided herein, the applicable Republican party rules of a state may prescribe additional qualifications not inconsistent with law, which additional qualifications shall be adopted before the first Tuesday in September in the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held and published in at least one (1) newspaper having a general circulation throughout the state, such publication to be at least ninety (90) days before such qualifications become effective.

(3) No state law shall be observed which permits any person to participate in a primary delegate and alternate delegate selection process that also permits that person at the same primary to participate in the choosing of nominees of any other party for other elective office. Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention shall in that event be selected pursuant to state party rules that are not inconsistent with the Rules of the Republican Party; provided, however, that the selection process established by the state party rules shall provide that only persons eligible to vote who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or state party rules shall participate in such delegate selection process.

(4) In any jurisdiction in which Republican representation upon the board of judges or inspectors of elections for primary elections is denied by law, delegates and alternate delegates shall be elected as provided in paragraph (a)(1) or (a)(4) of this rule.

(5) In selecting delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention, no state law shall be observed which hinders, abridges, or denies to any citizen of the United States, eligible under the Constitution of the United States to hold the office of President of the United States or Vice President of the United States, the right or privilege of being a candidate under such state law for the nomination for President of the United States or Vice President of the United States or which authorizes the election of a number of delegates or alternate delegates from any state to the national convention different from that fixed in these rules.

(6) Alternate delegates shall be elected to the national convention for each unit of representation equal in number to the number of delegates elected therein and shall be chosen in the same manner and at the same time as the delegates and under the same rules; provided, however, that if the law of any state shall prescribe another method of choosing alternate delegates, they may be chosen in accordance with the provisions of the law of the state in which the election occurs, except that no alternates shall be selected for Republican National Committee members.

(7) Delegates and alternate delegates at large to the national convention when serving as delegates and alternate delegates shall be residents of and duly qualified voters in their respective states. All delegates and alternate delegates allocated as delegates and alternate delegates at large shall be elected at large in the several states; provided, however, that such allocation and method of election may be varied in any state to the extent, and only to the extent, necessary to avoid conflict with state law applicable to the selection of national convention delegates if such varying allocation and method of election were those pursuant to which delegates at large and alternate delegates at large were elected to the 1988 Republican National Convention from that state.

(8) Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention representing congressional districts shall be residents of and qualified voters in said districts respectively when elected and when serving as delegates and alternate delegates. There shall be three (3) delegates and three (3) alternate delegates allocated to represent each congressional district of the several states, who shall be elected by each such congressional district; provided, however, that such number of delegates and alternate delegates allocated to represent, and elected by, any congressional district of a state may be reduced or increased to the extent, and only to the extent, necessary to avoid conflict with state law applicable to the selection of national convention delegates if such varying allocation was that pursuant to which district delegates and alternate district delegates were elected to the 1988 Republican National Convention from the state.

(9) No delegate or alternate delegate to the national convention shall be required to pay an assessment or fee in excess of that provided by the law of the state in which his or her election occurs as a condition of serving as a delegate or alternate delegate to the national convention.

(10) There shall be no automatic delegates to the national convention who serve by virtue of party position or elective office, except as provided for in Rule No. 13 (a)(2).

(11) No delegates or alternate delegates shall be selected pursuant to any Republican Party rule of a state or state law which materially changes the manner of selecting delegates or alternate delegates or the date upon which such state party holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention if such changes were adopted or made effective after the first Tuesday in September of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held. Where it is not possible for a state party to certify the manner and the date upon which it holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention in effect in that state on the date and in the manner provided in paragraph (e) of this rule, the process for holding the presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention shall be conducted in the same manner and held upon the same date as was used for the immediately preceding national convention. If it is not possible to hold a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention upon the same date as was used for the immediately preceding national convention, then delegates or alternate delegates shall be selected by congressional district or state conventions pursuant to paragraph (d) of this rule.

(d) Conventions.

Wherever state law permits or the Republican Party rules of a state require the election of delegates and alternate delegates by convention or there is no applicable state law or Republican Party rule, delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention shall be elected by congressional district or state conventions pursuant to the following rules:

(1) Congressional district or state conventions shall be called by the Republican state committee.

(2) Delegates to congressional district conventions may be elected in precinct caucuses, mass meetings, mass conventions, or county conventions in which only eligible voters in such precinct, county, or district, as the case may be, shall vote.

(3) Notices of the call for any such caucus, meeting, or convention shall be published in a newspaper or newspapers of general circulation in the county, district, or state, as the case may be, not less than fifteen (l5) days prior to the date of such caucus, meeting, or convention.

(4) No delegates shall be deemed eligible to participate in any congressional district or state convention the purpose of which is to elect delegates to the national convention who are elected prior to the date of the issuance of the call of such national convention.

(5) Congressional district conventions shall be composed of delegates who are persons eligible to vote and who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or party rules. State conventions shall be composed of delegates who are persons eligible to vote and who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or party rules in the respective districts which they represent in said state conventions. Such delegates shall be apportioned by the state Republican Party among counties, parishes, and cities of the state or district having regard to the Republican vote or the population therein.

(6) There shall be no proxies at any district or state convention (which shall not include meetings of a Republican state committee) held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the national convention. If alternate delegates to such selection convention are selected, the alternate delegate and no other shall vote in the absence of the delegate.

(e) Certification and filing by state committees.

(1) On or before the first Tuesday in September of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held, each Republican state committee shall adopt rules, procedures, policies, and instructive materials (prepared pursuant to Rule No. 14(a)) governing the selection of delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention to convene during the following year and shall certify and file with the secretary of the Republican National Committee true copies of the same and of all statutes governing the selection of such delegates and alternate delegates.

(2) The Republican National Committee may grant a waiver to a state party from certain provisions of this rule in the following instance:

(i) Where it is not possible for a state party to comply with the first Tuesday in September deadline delineated in paragraph (e)(1) of this rule and not possible for a state party to hold its presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention as was used for the immediately preceding national convention or to select delegates or alternate delegates by congressional district or state conventions pursuant to paragraph (d) of this rule, and the Republican National Committee determines that granting such waiver is in the best interests of the Republican Party.

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 02:26 PM

RULE NO. 16
Enforcement of Rules
(a) If any state or state party violates the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing of the selection process resulting in the election of delegates or alternate delegates to the next national convention, such state shall suffer a loss of its delegates and alternate delegates to that national convention as follows:

(1) If a state or state party violates the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing of the selection process resulting in the election of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention before the call to the national convention is issued, then the number of delegates to the national convention from that state shall be reduced by fifty percent (50%), and the corresponding alternated delegates shall also be reduced.

(2) If a state or state party violates the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing of the selection process resulting in the election of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention after the call to the national convention is issued, then the number of delegates to the national convention from that state shall be reduced by ninety percent (90%), and the corresponding alternate delegates shall also be reduced.

(3) Any sum representing a fraction shall be increased to the nearest whole number, so long as such rounding does not prevent a state from having at least one (1) delegate or alternate delegate to the national convention.

(b) If a violation has occurred before the issuance of the call to the national convention, the chairman of the Republican National Committee shall notify the offending state of the violation and shall inform the state of the number of delegates and alternate delegates it will lose. This reduced number of delegates and alternate delegates will be reflected in the call to the national convention, and will be reported to the secretary of state or responsible election official of the offending state and to the chairman of every state party. Said reduced number will be the only number recognized as the official delegation of the state to the national convention.

(c) If a violation has occurred after the issuance of the call to the national convention, the chairman of the Republican National Committee shall notify the state of the violation and shall inform the state of the number of delegates and alternate delegates it will lose. This reduced number of delegates and alternate delegates will be reported to the secretary of state or responsible election official of the offending state and to the chairman of every state party, and such reduced number will be the only number recognized as the official delegation of the state to the national convention.

(d) If the chairman of the Republican National Committee does not act upon a violation of the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the selection and/or allocation of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention, then a statement may be filed against a state or state party by any three (3) members of the Republican National Committee Standing Committee on Rules who feel that a violation has occurred.

(1) A statement filed against a state or state party by any three (3) members of the Standing Committee on Rules shall be written and shall specify the reasons why the members believe the state or state party is in violation. The statement shall be signed and dated by each Rules member filing the statement, and shall be filed with the secretary of the Republican National Committee. The secretary of the Republican National Committee shall, within twenty (20) days of receipt, distribute such statement to all members of the Republican National Committee.

(2) The Standing Committee on Rules shall meet upon the call of the chairman of the Rules Committee, and shall vote upon whether a state or state party is in violation. If by majority vote the Standing Committee on Rules finds a violation, then such state or state party shall suffer the penalties described in paragraph (a) of this rule.

(e) If a state or state party is determined to be in violation:

(1) No member of the Republican National Committee from the offending state shall be permitted to serve as a delegate or alternate delegate to the national convention.

(2) After the Republican National Committee members are excluded from being part of the offending state’s delegation to the national convention, the state party shall determine which of the state’s remaining delegates (and corresponding alternate delegates) are entitled to serve as part of the state’s reduced delegation to the national convention.

(3) In addition to the penalties provided for in paragraphs (e)(1) and (2) of this rule, the Republican National Committee Standing Committee on Rules may impose additional sanctions relating to the offending state’s hotel location at the national convention, guest privileges and VIP passes at the national convention, and seating location in the national convention hall.

(f) A state or state party shall have no appeal from either a finding of a violation against it or a penalty imposed upon it under this rule.

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 02:27 PM

RULE NO. 17
Vacancies in a State Delegation
(a) Where the rules adopted by a state Republican Party provide a method for filling vacancies in its national convention delegation, they shall be filled pursuant to such method.

(b) Where the rules adopted by a state Republican Party do not provide a method for filling vacancies in its national convention delegation, and where the state laws do provide such a method of replacement, they shall be filled pursuant to such method provided by state laws.

(c) Where neither the rules adopted by a state Republican Party nor state laws provide a method for filling vacancies in its national convention delegation, the state party should make every effort to elect those individuals filling the vacancies in the delegation in the same manner as the delegates were originally elected or by vote of the state Republican Party executive committee or if the state executive committee has not filled the vacancy by ten (10) days prior to the convention, by vote of the state delegation. This section shall not apply to the delegates allocated to the state in Rule 13(a)(2).

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 02:28 PM

RULE NO. 18
Excess Delegates and Alternate Delegates
(a) No state shall elect a greater number of persons to act as delegates and alternate delegates than the actual number of delegates and alternate delegates respectively to which it is entitled under the call for the national convention. Provided, however, that if a state is found in violation of the delegate selection rules under Rule No. 16, then that state shall not elect a greater number of persons to act as delegates and alternate delegates than the actual number of delegates and alternate delegates respectively to which it is entitled under Rule No. 16. No unit of representation may elect any delegate or alternate delegate with permission to cast a fractional vote.

(b) Where more than the authorized number of delegates from any state is certified and forwarded to the secretary of the Republican National Committee in the manner provided in Rule No. 19, a contest shall be deemed to exist and the secretary shall notify the several claimants so reported and shall submit all such credentials and claims to the whole Republican National Committee for decision as to which claimants reported shall be placed upon the temporary roll of the national convention.

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 02:29 PM

RULE NO. 19
Certification of Election
(a) All delegates and alternate delegates shall be elected not later than thirty-five (35) days before the date of the meeting of the national convention, unless otherwise provided by the laws of the state in which the election occurs.

(b) Election of delegates and alternate delegates shall be certified:

(1) In every case where they are elected by convention, by the chairman and secretary of such convention or by the chairman and secretary of the Republican state committee, and forwarded to the secretary of the Republican National Committee;

(2) In every case where they are elected by primary, by the canvassing board or officer created or designated by the law of the state in which the election occurs, to canvass the returns and issue certificates of election to delegates or alternate delegates to national conventions of political parties, and all certificates shall be forwarded by said duly elected delegates and alternate delegates in the manner herein provided; and,

(3) In every case where they are elected by the Republican state committee, by the chairman and secretary of the Republican state committee, and forwarded to the secretary of the Republican National Committee.

(c) No later than thirty (30) days before the time set for the meeting of the national convention, the credentials of each delegate and alternate delegate shall be filed with the secretary of the Republican National Committee for use by the secretary in making up the temporary roll of the national convention, except in the case of delegates or alternate delegates elected at a time or times in accordance with the laws of the state in which the election occurs rendering impossible the filing of credentials within the time above specified.

Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 02:29 PM

RULE NO. 20
Contests: Resolution by States
All contests arising in any state electing district delegates by district conventions shall be decided by its state convention or, if the state convention shall not meet prior to the national convention, then by its state committee. Only contests affecting delegates elected at large shall be presented to the Republican National Committee; provided, however, if the contest regarding a district delegate arises out of the irregular or unlawful action of the state committee or state convention, the Republican National Committee may take jurisdiction thereof and hear and determine the same under the procedures provided in Rules No. 22 and No. 23.

scrosnoe
10-21-2007, 04:13 PM
super delegates and RNC slots should be a priority for us on many levels - would love to see people announced as candidates for State Committeemen and Women and National Committeemen and Women as we work to gain control of the Republican party across our land . . .

I sincerely hope the ones who have changed their registration for this cycle will want to stay and help us do that internally permanently

it really isn't a distraction from our goal to elect Ron Paul either - it is finding enough people in our own area to elect him and people of principle up and down the ladder (building the base - so we can truly implement his agenda in his administration).

much work to do . . .

:D

thanks Bradley for the wonderful info/posts!
are you in DC or Iowa or back and forth?

Akus
10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Lois

There is an entire Delegate organization section.

alien
10-21-2007, 05:44 PM
How many delegates does Dr. Paul have now? Anyone know?

I may have missed this but,

anyone know Texas deadline to become one? Or is it a national deadline?

DianeDL
10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
How many delegates does Dr. Paul have now? Anyone know?

I may have missed this but,

anyone know Texas deadline to become one? Or is it a national deadline?

go to GOP.com and click on your state for some local information.

Thanks to Bradley in DC for the info on this.....BIG HELP!!!!....you da man!!!

Bradley in DC
10-24-2007, 11:55 AM

In the state specific subfora, I posted the national nominating convention delegate rules from 2004. We need someone from each state to get the updated version (LA is going to have to wait until after the elections, probably).

RULE NO. 14
Participation
(a) The Republican National Committee shall assist the states in their efforts to inform all citizens as to how they may participate in delegate selection procedures. The states, in cooperation with the Republican National Committee, shall prepare instructive material on delegate selection methods and make it available for distribution.

Send the state party this rule and link and the info from 2004 I posted and ask them for the updated version they had to send to the RNC for the "state delegate summary" last month.

We need someone to do it in every state. Then post the updated 2008 version in your state's section. Thanks!

The RNC is not releasing the summary until the final elections this year to finalize delegate counts, etc.

Primbs
10-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Looks like the link doesn't work.

Bradley in DC
10-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Looks like the link doesn't work.

I think it's fixed now. At any rate go here (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16) on the gop.com site.

libertarian4321
10-25-2007, 09:39 AM
If only "delegates" matter, why bother having the vote?

scubasteve01
10-25-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't understand this fully, but I went to the website and my State Chairman is a guy that works at my company, just a few offices down. Hmmm.... not sure what to do about that.

alien
10-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Erased

Bradley in DC
10-25-2007, 03:16 PM
If only "delegates" matter, why bother having the vote?

Voters choose the delegates. You aren't voting for Dr. Paul directly but for his slate of delegate candidates to the convention.

Bradley in DC
10-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't understand this fully, but I went to the website and my State Chairman is a guy that works at my company, just a few offices down. Hmmm.... not sure what to do about that.

Excellent. Please go to the state subforum under the primaries section here, copy it and email it to him and ask him for the updated version they sent to the RNC last month. When you have the updated information, please post it in you state's section the way the others have.

libertarian4321
10-26-2007, 04:04 AM
Voters choose the delegates. You aren't voting for Dr. Paul directly but for his slate of delegate candidates to the convention.

Okay.

However, if Ron Paul has the support of 55% of the voters, are you saying he also needs enough delegates to make up 55% of the delegate population? In other words, if Ron Paul wins the election, but doesn't have a pile of delegates, that they'll hand the state to Rudy Giuliani or Tom Tancredo, even though they didn't win?

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Bradley in DC
10-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Okay.

However, if Ron Paul has the support of 55% of the voters, are you saying he also needs enough delegates to make up 55% of the delegate population? In other words, if Ron Paul wins the election, but doesn't have a pile of delegates, that they'll hand the state to Rudy Giuliani or Tom Tancredo, even though they didn't win?

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Grrr. Trying to be patient, but have you really read my posts and threads on this? Have you read the state sections that explain, in painstaking detail, the actual rules, state-by-state. Believing that sweeping generalizations are helpful is your first mistake. The only votes that count to getting the nomination are those of the delegates.

Read my posts in this thread above.

Check out links here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7567

alien
10-26-2007, 01:46 PM
So I can not be a delegate since I did not vote in the primaries last time? That is what the section for Texas says. So then what can we do to help? Merely vote for the delegate?

Bradley in DC
10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
So I can not be a delegate since I did not vote in the primaries last time? That is what the section for Texas says. So then what can we do to help? Merely vote for the delegate?

Texas, from what I understand, has the most confused process of any state--on purpose to keep the decision-making more limited to outsiders. Please don't ever just say "delegate" to get the right, clear response, especially in caucus states.

Contact the Texas coordinator for the campaign and let him know you want to be involved and ask how best to do that. Mark is a good guy. Yes, as I understand it, there will be limits (for lack of previous involvement) on how high in the state process you can go. I don't think that would preclude you from being a "delegate candidate" to the national nominating convention.

alien
10-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks, I will contact Mark.

Nefertiti
10-27-2007, 02:25 PM
You don't have to become a delegate to help. In some states you can help by collecting signatures to get Ron Paul's delegates on the ballot. There were 4 of us out today in my neighborhood collecting signatures for delegates in two congressional districts (we live in a very gerrymandered neighborhood). One of them is an alternate delegate but the rest of us were just simply registered voters helping out.

James R
10-28-2007, 06:24 AM
I didn't know much about delegates, but learned a lot from this source:
http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm

Bradley in DC
10-28-2007, 07:00 AM
I didn't know much about delegates, but learned a lot from this source:
http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm

That site and this one
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/

are very good and recommended in the delegate sticky thread here:

Thunderbolt
10-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Do not call your state representatives to ask them any information. They don't know. Call your state's GOP office. They can give you answers. In some states, like mine, they voted in their delegates over a year ago and no one will give me a straight answer. I became a Precinct Committeeman but have no idea how this works. Something about I might get to vote for who becomes a delegate.

We all have to attend the local district meeting of the Republican party. Become whatever level you can. At some point you will might be in a position to help Ron Paul. Depends on the state.

Bradley, you know no one on these forums wants to do any real work. They won't even read your post to get the answer to their questions.

Each state is totally different. I would try to put together a compendium on all the states and their rules, but I can't even figure out the rules in my state and I have joined the party already, so there is no way I could do it. I have asked 15 people how the voting here works and received 15 different answers.

But, I did do one thing that I think will help a lot and I suggest everyone do the same. In places like mine, where the individual members of the party vote on who are the delegates and they are not just assigned to the candidates, make as many copies as you can of the Man of All Seasons Video. I made 150 and brought them with me to my last meeting. I tried to give one to everyone.

In lots of places delegates are beholden to a certain candidate for the first round of voting, but then they can vote for whomever they want. We want all of the delegates at that bloody convention to vote for Ron Paul - then it won't matter who the people vote for.

So, somehow, I suggest we figure out how to get that video into the hands of every delegate we can find. If we have to do it with Chip-ins, that is fine. But this is vital, at least I think so. I could be wrong.

The Wolf Star
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't get why you all in the forum do NOT get this........it makes no sense to me!

Dr. Paul needs delgates to win - become a delegate - that's what gets the nomination!

who here is becoming a delegate - anyone???

This is gonna sound extremely dumb, I'm sure, but I have stayed out of politics most of my life. Can you be a delegate if you're not a registered Republican? :confused:

I will most likely be a delegate if I can. I did not get in on time to change my registration to Republican. :( And just to let you know, I am not a registered Democrap.

Bradley in DC
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
This is gonna sound extremely dumb, I'm sure, but I have stayed out of politics most of my life. Can you be a delegate if you're not a registered Republican? :confused:

I will most likely be a delegate if I can. I did not get in on time to change my registration to Republican. :( And just to let you know, I am not a registered Democrap.

Hi Wolf, there, usually, is no single answer for everyone as rules vary considerably by state (some states don't have formal party registration at all).

Look for information on your state here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121

Bradley in DC
10-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Do not call your state representatives to ask them any information. They don't know. Call your state's GOP office. They can give you answers. In some states, like mine, they voted in their delegates over a year ago and no one will give me a straight answer. I became a Precinct Committeeman but have no idea how this works. Something about I might get to vote for who becomes a delegate.

We all have to attend the local district meeting of the Republican party. Become whatever level you can. At some point you will might be in a position to help Ron Paul. Depends on the state.

Bradley, you know no one on these forums wants to do any real work. They won't even read your post to get the answer to their questions.

Each state is totally different. I would try to put together a compendium on all the states and their rules, but I can't even figure out the rules in my state and I have joined the party already, so there is no way I could do it. I have asked 15 people how the voting here works and received 15 different answers.

But, I did do one thing that I think will help a lot and I suggest everyone do the same. In places like mine, where the individual members of the party vote on who are the delegates and they are not just assigned to the candidates, make as many copies as you can of the Man of All Seasons Video. I made 150 and brought them with me to my last meeting. I tried to give one to everyone.

In lots of places delegates are beholden to a certain candidate for the first round of voting, but then they can vote for whomever they want. We want all of the delegates at that bloody convention to vote for Ron Paul - then it won't matter who the people vote for.

So, somehow, I suggest we figure out how to get that video into the hands of every delegate we can find. If we have to do it with Chip-ins, that is fine. But this is vital, at least I think so. I could be wrong.

One, please never just say "delegates" which causes more confusion than it helps.

Please go here:
If your information from 2004 has not been updated here, please copy the 2004 information, send it to your state GOP or state board of elections and ask them for the updated version they sent to the RNC last month. You can remind them of RNC by-law Rule 14 (a) (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16):

RULE NO. 14
Participation

The Wolf Star
10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
One, please never just say "delegates" which causes more confusion than it helps.

Please go here:
If your information from 2004 has not been updated here, please copy the 2004 information, send it to your state GOP or state board of elections and ask them for the updated version they sent to the RNC last month. You can remind them of RNC by-law Rule 14 (a) (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16):

RULE NO. 14
Participation

Hey, thanks for the info, but I'm still pretty confused. One thing that I got is that I need to call New York state's GOP office. I found the number: 518-462-2601

I found out that delegates need to be elected -- 3 from each Congressional District -- 87 total in NY state.

I'm searching for it, but still don't know what a delegate actually does. Can someone explain exactly what a delegate does?

Thanks muchly

Bradley in DC
10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey, thanks for the info, but I'm still pretty confused. One thing that I got is that I need to call New York state's GOP office. I found the number: 518-462-2601

I found out that delegates need to be elected -- 3 from each Congressional District -- 87 total in NY state.

I'm searching for it, but still don't know what a delegate actually does. Can someone explain exactly what a delegate does?

Thanks muchly

Under RNC by-laws, explained in my posts above, EVERY CD get 3 delegates to the national nominating convention. Every state (& DC and Territories) get others AL + unelected ones. Please read through this very general outline first, then my posts in this thread.

The following is an overview, check below for additional specific information for each state:

Delegates to the Republican National Convention on September 1-4, 2008 will formally elect the next Republican presidential nominee (with great fanfare, funny hats, and state-saluting speeches).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...nal_Convention

There will be two kinds of delegates at the convention. The unelected "superdelegates" or "bonus" delegates are chosen ex officio by nature of being an incumbent Republican Governor or other Federal official (Congressman or Senator) or high party official (state party chairman). The voters choose the elected delegates to the convention (by way of state party primaries, caucuses, conventions or meetings) from among the delegate candidate slates chosen by the presidential aspirants. Under NRC by-laws, the primary election calendar must be finalized by September, 2007.
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4

The Wolf Star
10-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Bradley in DC Bradley,

I appreciate your well-articulated responses to my questions and I am getting some of this

a little at a time. I did click on your links, now, and am reading the stuff.

However, I am still confused. Maybe partly on account of I'm so dumb. Partly, also, though,

because when I read this stuff it seems to run me around in circles.

I guess I don't even understand the primaries. I thought that was when one runner from

each party got the spot as party candidate. Like if Hillary Clinton gets the Democratic primary

nomination, she goes on the ballot as the Democratic nominee.

The primaries are in Feb. 2008 (in NY state), I believe.

But then you say this "Delegates to the Republican National Convention on September 1-4, 2008 will formally elect the next Republican presidential nominee (with great fanfare, funny hats, and state-saluting speeches)."

So, please be patient with me. Yes, I am a numbskill with little political experience. No, I still don't get it and am getting more and more confused.

Thanks. :):confused:

The Wolf Star
10-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Bradley in DC Bradley,

I appreciate your well-articulated responses to my questions and I am getting some of this a little at a time. I did click on your links, now, and am reading the stuff.

However, I am still confused. Maybe partly on account of I'm so dumb. Partly, also, though, because when I read this stuff it seems to run me around in circles.

I guess I don't even understand the primaries. I thought that was when one runner from each party got the spot as party candidate. Like if Hillary Clinton gets the Democratic primary nomination, she goes on the ballot as the Democratic nominee.

The primaries are in Feb. 2008 (in NY state), I believe. But then you say this "Delegates to the Republican National Convention on September 1-4, 2008 will formally elect the next Republican presidential nominee (with great fanfare, funny hats, and state-saluting speeches)."

So, please be patient with me. Yes, I am a numbskill with little political experience. No, I still don't get it and am getting more and more confused.

Bradley in DC
10-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I guess I don't even understand the primaries. I thought that was when one runner from each party got the spot as party candidate. Like if Hillary gets the Democratic primary nomination, she goes on the ballot as the Dem nominee.

Please don't denegrate the other candidates and their supporters--we need more converts. WWRPD?

The purpose of the primaries is for each party to choose whom they want to represent them as their respective parties' standardbearers.

Because those processes are state-by-state with great variances among the states, it might make more sense for state-specific question to be discussed in the state-specific primary subforum. ;)

Oh, one other thing. When we vote in the primaries, we are NOT voting for Dr. Paul but for his slate of delegates to the national nominating convention. Think of the primary voting and conventions as practice for the general election and electoral college voting.

The Wolf Star
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Thank you, Bradley in DC. Now I get it. Sorry about saying something "denigrating" about H.C.

What is WWRPD? :o

me3
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
What would Ron Paul do?

http://www.wwrpd.org

Bradley in DC
10-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Thank you, Bradley in DC. Now I get it. Sorry about saying something "denigrating" about H.C.

What is WWRPD? :o

Sure. Do you know you can edit your posts? Go to the edit button on the bottom right. ;)

The Wolf Star
10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Okay, I edited them. I thought of that, but now I did it. Thank you kindly, everyone for your help. :)

Bradley in DC
10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Okay, I edited them. I thought of that, but now I did it. Thank you kindly, everyone for your help. :)

You're welcome. Now do your part for your state. Go the the state primary sub-forum, copy the 2004 rules for NY I posted there, paste them into an email to the state GOP and state board of elections with the notation from the RNC by-law 14(a) and ask them for the updated version for 2008. When you get it back, please post that response in your state's section.

me3
11-06-2007, 07:45 PM
We need more information, in a clear and easy to understand manner posted.

The campaign updated us tonight, delegates and precinct captains are the MOST important thing we can do for the campaign.

Tyler19
11-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know if I can still become a delegate in Michigan?

LJHudd
11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
My Husband and I will become Delegates - we are in TX, hb will try to become Precinct Chair - will see what happens.

CJP
11-07-2007, 02:55 PM
The campaign updated us tonight, delegates and precinct captains are the MOST important thing we can do for the campaign.

Big Bump! Listen up everybody:

The campaign told us last night that this is the most important thing we need to be working on.

There needs to be an organized effort to navigate the rules of all 50 states (+territories) so people can easily find out what to do. Then we need to publicise the effort big time. A new website just for this, perhaps?

Thanks for all your work on this Bradley. I think we have to organize/summarize better, though. Is anybody else in the grassroots taking charge of this one? Where do we stand? If not, I may have to draft myself. Who's with me?

Dorfsmith
11-07-2007, 03:17 PM

The campaign told us last night that this is the most important thing we need to be working on.

There needs to be an organized effort to navigate the rules of all 50 states (+territories) so people can easily find out what to do. Then we need to publicise the effort big time. A new website just for this, perhaps?

Thanks for all your work on this Bradley. I think we have to organize/summarize better, though. Is anybody else in the grassroots taking charge of this one? Where do we stand? If not, I may have to draft myself. Who's with me?

I don't know much about how it all works but if you build a site I will spread the word like crazy. This is probably our toughest challenge yet but we can do it.

Bradley in DC
11-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know if I can still become a delegate in Michigan?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Bradley in DC
11-07-2007, 05:28 PM

I've been on this for MONTHS!

So has primarilypaul:
http://www.primarilypaul.com/

aspiringconstitutionalist
11-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Just finished applying to be a delegate for Ohio.

livinitup
11-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Someone start a Became a Delegate Forum please.

Austin
11-07-2007, 08:38 PM
I second the notion.

CJP
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
I've been on this for MONTHS!

So has primarilypaul:
http://www.primarilypaul.com/

Again, thanks! But what do you think of organizing delegate information (& related party information) by state in a new web site, and/or adding this to a prominent position in primarilypaul.com?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems difficult for the average person who want to be a delegate/etc to figure out what to do.

I think we also need a way to recruit volunteers in every state to do the research, find the appropriate contacts, etc.

Thoughts?

ValidusCustodiae
11-07-2007, 11:03 PM

I second the notion.

I third it, and make sure it's private because this is sort of an incognito thing. It will help if regular trolls can't just browse the forums.

austin356
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
GOOD NEWS:

Alabama is 100% good with Delegates, as of now. We have a very large number of delegates relative to population, almost twice the national average.

Dorfsmith
11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
GOOD NEWS:

Alabama is 100% good with Delegates, as of now. We have a very large number of delegates relative to population, almost twice the national average.

Wow! Does anybody know how Arizona is doing?

OURPLAN
11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm a delegate:)

austin356
11-08-2007, 08:16 PM

x2

Alabama delegation

http://www.algop.org/images/AL/QD1108b.xls

Bradley in DC
11-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Please do not say just "delegate" without a qualifier if you want anyone else to know what you mean (especially if you're from a caucus state). Rather than confuse everyone, please take state-specific discussions to you state-specific subforum in the primary and caucus section.

Madison
11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
In my home county in Michigan, new delegates are not elected until next Summer...am I out of luck?

Bradley in DC
11-08-2007, 08:29 PM
The primaries are in Feb. 2008 (in NY state), I believe. But then you say this "Delegates to the Republican National Convention on September 1-4, 2008 will formally elect the next Republican presidential nominee (with great fanfare, funny hats, and state-saluting speeches)."

Sorry if my counter-chronological approach confused you. The delegates to the national nominating convention are chosen by the states generally between January and the spring. Those delegates chose then will convene in MN in September to formally choose the presidential nominee. In effect, at the primaries we choose whom we want to choose the nominee. It's as direct as that! ;)

Bradley in DC
11-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Congrats! Where in Ohio? Native Buckeye here. Also, please get the lingo down: you applied to be a "delegate candidate" for Ohio. :D

Bradley in DC
11-08-2007, 08:34 PM

Or you could just go the established subforum on it...;)

Bradley in DC
11-08-2007, 08:36 PM

"Delegates" are chosen by the voters. I'm guessing you're a "delegate candidate" -- think of it as you are a candidate to be Ron Paul delegate at the national nominating convention competing against the delegate candidates for the other presidential candidates.

Bradley in DC
11-08-2007, 08:37 PM
In my home county in Michigan, new delegates are not elected until next Summer...am I out of luck?

One, please don't just say "delegate" which is completely unhelpful.

Two, for state specific discussions, it's best to direct them in your appropriate state subforum, please. :)

me3
11-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Bump, this is so important people!

weatherbill
11-10-2007, 08:18 PM
I thought that if a state has a popular vote for a certain candidate, that it forced the deligates to vote for that person and not just vote for who they want....am I wrong???

Jobarra
11-10-2007, 09:24 PM
x2

Alabama delegation

http://www.algop.org/images/AL/QD1108b.xls

Another one in the Alabama delegation. We had so many that I'm an alternate ;) Wish I hadn't waited so long to sign up :( Just barely beat the Nov 7th deadline by FedExing on the 5th.

wealeat
11-11-2007, 03:50 AM

My understanding is that if you vote in the 2008 Texan primary then you are eligible to become a delegate. You have to attend your precinct convention, which is held after polls close on the day of the primary.

hellah10
11-11-2007, 09:04 AM

im trying to apply... seems like everywhere i go, its a dead end. Where did you start your process?

Maumee, Ohio (suburb of Toledo) 43537 zip code

Sandra
11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Recently the GOP banned half the delegates from all states that had pushed their primaries up to an earlier date. How is this affectiong us?

vroomery
11-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I thought that if a state has a popular vote for a certain candidate, that it forced the deligates to vote for that person and not just vote for who they want....am I wrong???

this is what I thought too...this who delegates business confuses me

Austin
11-11-2007, 07:32 PM
this is what I thought too...this who delegates business confuses me
There two major types of delegates: bound and unbound. Bound delegates must cast their vote to the person who wins the popular vote in the primary. The unbound delegates are left to vote for whoever they want. The thing is, the unbound typically outnumber the bound by at least 2.

For instance, Indiana has 27 bound and 29 unbound delegates. Therefor, even if Dr. Paul wins the popular vote, the system can be used so that he gets absolutely no delegate votes. This is because getting 51% actually gets you 100%, at least in most states.

alien
11-11-2007, 08:15 PM
There two major types of delegates: bound and unbound. Bound delegates must cast their vote to the person who wins the popular vote in the primary. The unbound delegates are left to vote for whoever they want. The thing is, the unbound typically outnumber the bound by at least 2.

For instance, Indiana has 27 bound and 29 unbound delegates. Therefor, even if Dr. Paul wins the popular vote, the system can be used so that he gets absolutely no delegate votes. This is because getting 51% actually gets you 100%, at least in most states.

So I wonder if we can put together a list here of each state and the current status of delagates bound and unbound for that state so we can track where we need help?

constitutional
11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
So I wonder if we can put together a list here of each state and the current status of delagates bound and unbound for that state so we can track where we need help?

We need to be careful that we don't make this list public. If you make one, let it be vague.

alien
11-11-2007, 09:18 PM
We need to be careful that we don't make this list public. If you make one, let it be vague.

Understood. So would that be a bad thing to just put a state and how many are still needed? I'm not talking about listing delagate names.

constitutional
11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Understood. So would that be a bad thing to just put a state and how many are still needed? I'm not talking about listing delagate names.
Sounds fair enough to me...

Sandra
11-11-2007, 11:23 PM
How would one go about becoming an unbound delegate?

Furis
11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Bound and unbound depends on the state I believe.

Edit>>> Iowa has unbound delegates, thank the Lord.

mstrmac1
11-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Let me get this straight... if Mr.Paul wins in the primary(s) then the delegates wont give him the nod?

stewie3128
11-13-2007, 12:29 AM
He needs to have people lined up to vote for him in September, in the event that he gets the opportunity to send them to the national convention, in September. Those delegates need to be declared and registered at latest by the day of the state primary, and often far earlier.

stewie3128
11-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Looks like I'm in as a delegate for CA - don't think my state's a crisis yet, though. :)

mstrmac1
11-13-2007, 12:48 AM
So he needs his own delegates?

stewie3128
11-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Yes, every candidate needs their own delegates, unless your state has their primary set up to send uncommitted delegates to the convention.

mstrmac1
11-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Got it, thanks! How can we find out if we are covered with the proper amount of delegates? Sorry with all the questions.

mstrmac1
11-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Just found this... it might help.

http://www3.webng.com/ronpaul/becomedelegate.html

foofighter20x
11-14-2007, 12:56 AM
edited first post... check it out!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27066

MadOdorMachine
11-14-2007, 04:28 AM
For someone that is a newbie and has never participated in a Straw Poll, Primary or anything other than the main election and knows very little about how this election stuff works; Can you please explain to me what a delegate is and why it is so important. Thanks.

foofighter20x
11-14-2007, 06:33 AM
For someone that is a newbie and has never participated in a Straw Poll, Primary or anything other than the main election and knows very little about how this election stuff works; Can you please explain to me what a delegate is and why it is so important. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_nominating_convention#Participat ion

Hook
11-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Bradley, could you let me know if Dr. Paul's delegate candidates have to be selected from a pool of elected delegates at the state convention?

newmedia4ron
11-15-2007, 12:21 AM
from old forum

How national convention delegates are chosen

It should go without saying to ignore websites and posts urging Dr. Paul supporters to hide their support for Dr. Paul.

Delegates to the Republican National Convention on September 1-4, 2008 will formally elect the next Republican presidential nominee (with great fanfare, funny hats, and state-saluting speeches).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...nal_Convention

There will be two kinds of delegates at the convention. The unelected "superdelegates" or "bonus" delegates are chosen ex officio by nature of being an incumbent Republican Governor or other Federal official (Congressman or Senator) or high party official (state party chairman). The voters choose the elected delegates to the convention (by way of state party primaries, caucuses, conventions or meetings) from among the delegate candidate slates chosen by the presidential aspirants. Under RNC by-laws, the primary election calendar must be finalized by September, 2007.
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4

The Green Papers site is a good source for up-to-date information and the breakdown of the total number of delegates each state gets, the totals for each type of delegates, how the delegates are allocated by state law, and the form of voting:
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/paag.phtml

The purpose of the primaries, caucuses, etc., is to choose the elected delegates to the presidential nominating convention. Voters indirectly pick their presidential nominee by directly picking their nominee's slate (or team) of delegates. We vote to choose among the competing slates of "delegate candidates" (and alternate delegate candidates) representing their respective presidential candidates. The winner of the vote is selected as the delegate.

The presidential campaigns themselves choose the "delegate candidate" slates to represent them. Here is a description for selecting Republican nominating convention delegate candidates for New Hampshire (all other states are similar):
"Prior to the primary, each Presidential campaign submits a list of delegate candidates to the NH Secretary of State. After certifying the results of the primary, the Secretary of State informs each Presidential candidate how many delegates they have been awarded."
http://www.republicansource.com/states/newhampshire.htm

Dr. Paul's campaign will file its slate of delegate candidates (and alternates) to represent him at the convention with each state's Secretary of State before the deadline to appear on the ballot. It is the competing delegate candidate slates (representing their respective presidential nominee hopefuls) that voters are choosing at the polls. Think of the party nominating conventions as practice Electoral Colleges (where the real vote for President happens).

Sandra
11-20-2007, 10:35 AM
The Louisiana Republican Party website offers absolutely NO info for the delegation process. As a matter of fact the website content has been dumped except for a front page.

alien
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Is there a maximum number of delagates electees for each state before the elections or the more the better? And then are all elected or just a certain number?

alien
11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Is there a safety measure in place for people who might say that they are Ron Paul delagates and then get bought off or actually be another candidates supporter? Do you have to say you are a delagate for a candidate and sign official papers so that you can not change your mind once elected?

noztnac
11-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Why not send the info here?

mail@ronpaul2008.com, ca@ronpaul2008.com, nv@ronpaul2008.com,
az@ronpaul2008.com, nh@ronpaul2008.com, oh@ronpaul2008.com,
sc@ronpaul2008.com, tn@ronpaul2008.com, tx@ronpaul2008.com,
fl@ronpaul2008.com, al@ronpaul2008.com

Naraku
11-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Here's something, Those uncommitted delegates are actually members of the government, meaning Republican Congressmen and Governors sooo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_endorsements_for_the_2008_United_Sta tes_presidential_election

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Governors_Association

Drop a few calls to your congressmen and see if you can convince them to endorse Ron Paul. He currently has no endorsements. It would be great to get Chuck Hagel. :D

sharedvoice
11-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Delegate Assement Website

I am not sure if one exists already. However, I think that it would be a wonderful idea to have ONE website specifically dedicated to the Ron Paul delegation. A grassroots movement to get typical voters more involved in the political process. Possible features could include graphs, maps and charts, for analytical purposes. Also such a site could include registration information, requirements, deadlines etc.

Any thoughts, does such a project exist, or is one in the making?

Time is of the essence. We must move quickly.

I had an opportunity to visit RonPaulFriendsUSA, while very informative, not exactly what I had in mind.

I was envisioning something similar to this, with a bit more more functionality.
http://ronpaulgraphs.com/primaries.html

Example:

1) When you click on a state you bring up general info, registration, deadlines, .pdf documents, etc.
2) You make a PLEDGE to become a Ron Paul delegate -- IN GOOD FAITH.

Which means that YOU have satisfied the all the preliminary requirements and personally filed a Certificate of Candidacy in person at the State Board of Elections.
That way we can see how many people are REALLY serious about this and gauge where we are in that effort.

Bradley in DC
11-25-2007, 06:05 PM
How to become a delegate step by step read this!

http://www3.webng.com/r...

That site has FALSE information, lies about the official support (Jeff Greenspan himself told me he never endorsed it nor directed people there), and until Joe Becker recently intervened urged fraud and violations of state election law. The guy is bad news who does not understand the specific legal terms nor how these processes work.

Bradley in DC
11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Just found this... it might help.

http://www3.webng.com/rl

That site has FALSE information, lies about the official support (Jeff Greenspan himself told me he never endorsed it nor directed people there), and until Joe Becker recently intervened urged fraud and violations of state election law. The guy is bad news who does not understand the specific legal terms nor how these processes work.

tremendoustie
12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
We need a map, on the main login page, with the delegate status for all states color coded, and state-specific details and instructions available. Can we make this happen?

skyorbit
12-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Need Help with South Dakota

Apparently. Deligates have to be ellected at local county republican conventions to go to the State Convention. The the State convention ellects the Delegates that go to National. The State Convention is sometime in March. But every individual county has a different date for their County Conventions. It's like digging for a needle in a haystack to find this information. Only I don't have a Magnet. I'm finally in (somewhat) communication with the Minnihaha County Republican Party, but that's just 1 out of -- um 30.
South Dakota's a very closed system. We almost need professional help to figure out how to sort everything out. The Delegates in this State are important, because the Delegates aren't required to vote for who the vote is for after the 1st round of voting.

Tracy

MadOdorMachine
12-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Hello fellow Paulites,

I have become a delegate to report to Sarpy County in Nebraska. All I had to do was fill out a form. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. Can someone tell me what to do next?

MadOdorMachine
12-04-2007, 09:38 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_nominating_convention#Participat ion

I have visited the wikipedia sites for delegates and the presidential nominating convention, but I still don't understand the role of a delegate in the primaries and why Ron Paul cannot win without them. Can someone please explain this to me?

Bradley in DC
12-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I have visited the wikipedia sites for delegates and the presidential nominating convention, but I still don't understand the role of a delegate in the primaries and why Ron Paul cannot win without them. Can someone please explain this to me?

Please read my posts in this thread and then posts state-specific questions in your state's subforum.

MadOdorMachine
12-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Please read my posts in this thread and then posts state-specific questions in your state's subforum.

No one from my state (Nebraska) is posting in the subforums. I want to know what the general purpose of a delegate is in relation to the primaries. It doesn't need to be state specific, just tell me why I need to be a delegate. I don't get it. I thought I did, but apparently, I was wrong. Why is it so important for Ron Paul supporters to become delegates?

Bradley in DC
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
No one from my state (Nebraska) is posting in the subforums. I want to know what the general purpose of a delegate is in relation to the primaries. It doesn't need to be state specific, just tell me why I need to be a delegate. I don't get it. I thought I did, but apparently, I was wrong. Why is it so important for Ron Paul supporters to become delegates?

Post this in your state's forum. It would be a disservice to people from every other state to add to the general confusion by answering here. I have answered your general questions in this thread and the link I posted for you of another thread. Please do NOT just say "delegate" anymore as I have explained. Delegate for what exactly? TAKE IT TO YOUR STATE SUBFORUM.

MadOdorMachine
12-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Post this in your state's forum. It would be a disservice to people from every other state to add to the general confusion by answering here. I have answered your general questions in this thread and the link I posted for you of another thread. Please do NOT just say "delegate" anymore as I have explained. Delegate for what exactly? TAKE IT TO YOUR STATE SUBFORUM.

If it's a disservice to the people then why is this forum making such a big deal about it saying that Ron Paul won't win unless he has delegates? That is addressed to everyone, yet when I bring it up, it's causing a disservice to everyone. If it's addressed to everyone that we need delegates, is it not fair to give a general summary of what the role and reponsibility of a delegate is? Isn't the role of a delegate the same in every state? The only difference between states would be the process of becoming the delegate, not the role itself. So far I have not seen a single explanation on what the role of a delegate is. The only thing I've seen is that people need to become one and then explanations of how to go about doing that. There has been no explanation for the role that I can see. People have been asked to be delegates, yet you state above, "Delegate for what exactly?" I thought I knew but apparently I was wrong. Does anyone know what the role is or is it different for each state? It's a very simple question, I'm not trying to make this complicated although I probably didn't explain it very well.

I don't feel my question has been answered or else, I wouldn't keep asking it. I'm trying to help, but I'm getting really discouraged lately. I replied to your comments in my states sub-forum. I'm being sincere, I really want to help and don't want to cause anymore confusion. In any case, don't take my above comment personally, I know you are trying to help. I thank you for your help.

MadOdorMachine
12-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I called my local election office for clarification and I was told that the role of delegates in the state of Nebraska is to have the opportunity to vote on issues and for people to represent them. It has nothing to do with the primaries or Ron Paul. Delegates have absolutely no role in that in my state.

I called Ron Paul's campaign as was told that delegates from the state could be elected nationally to endorse Ron Paul from your state. I was unable to verify what impact this had on his nomination, but ideally a nomination is determined by the primary elections.

I hope this helps. If someone has anymore information to add or detract from what I have stated, please let me know.

Jason726
12-05-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't even know what a delegate exactly does and is responsible for. This is my first presidential election, and in the senate elections I was registered as an independent. (PA)

My girlfriend and I just switched to republican. I am trying to get all our friends into the primary. I honestly feel that if everyone knew about Dr. Paul's ideas, he would be the next president. We have to get what ever we need done, done. He is our only chance for a brighter future.

I'll check out this delegate web site to see what I can do. Does anyone have any general info about delegates?

Bradley in DC
12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I don't even know what a delegate exactly does and is responsible for. This is my first presidential election, and in the senate elections I was registered as an independent. (PA)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170

MadOdorMachine
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170

Seriously man, you need to either stop posting or re-read the questions. WE ARE NOT ASKING HOW TO BECOME DELGATES! There has already been countless threads on that and they are very effective.

What we want to know is why Ron Paul needs delegates to win. We know how to become delegates, but we don't know why. Do you understand the difference in what we are asking?

hawks4ronpaul
12-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Madodormachine,

Hello.

States with unbound delegates are the most critical.

Possible rules:

Voters vote for X but "faithless" unbound delegate votes for Y.

X gets more votes than any other single candidate but Y releases/unbinds his delegates to support anyone or maybe to support Z (in hopes of getting the VP slot on Z's ticket) and the new Z (Y+Z) beats X.

Faithless electors could occur in the electoral college so also consider becoming an elector.

Rules vary from state to state.

Trusted, senior forum members posting verified state rules would help.

Beware the old trick of disinformation.

Students researching a class project might get good treatment when seeking rules from officials.

I hope that helps.

Thank you.
http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

kutibah
12-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Is there anyway this post can be updated with every delegate information we have about Ron Paul from the 50 states? It would be nice to know where we need to target our efforts to recruit delegates =)

crazyfacedjenkins
12-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Is there anyway this post can be updated with every delegate information we have about Ron Paul from the 50 states? It would be nice to know where we need to target our efforts to recruit delegates =)

I second that.

alien
12-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I mentioned that some time ago. Nothing ever became of it though.

nc4rp
12-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutibah

I second that.

i third that.

it would be nice to have a subforum that gets constantly udated/improved information. It ought to be an "announcment sticky", and actually have a lead poster for each state that will edit the top post to reflect understanding as it develops in the discussion in that State's thread. Maybe a moderator of ronpaulforums could select 50 volunteer moderators for their State's thread in the Subforum.

My understanding of the delegate/elector process improves on a daily basis. Its a very complicated and obscure issue for most people, including myself.

nc4rp
12-21-2007, 06:54 PM
IMO they should just be an announcement in each state subforum that already exists here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132

The Main forum page should have an announcement that just links to the above page also.

phoenixrising
01-06-2008, 06:38 AM
YIKES !! bradley...this needs to come front & center ASAP ;)

here i am looking for info so we can *organize* the caucus/delegates & you have a WEALTH of info here!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after seeing what happened in iowa & wyoming...{lack of protocol}}} we REALLY need to bring this to grassroots.....people hardly venture out of their nook -- ya know? ((especially w/so many newbies here to boot)!

GREAT JOB w/the info!!

phoenixrising
01-06-2008, 06:41 AM
btw: the only reason i found this ...is cuz i floowed a link from october in nat'l conventions...this needs to be front & center now....

especially:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/R-Alloc.phtml

SolusSLX
01-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I tried to compile some info about Precinct Conventions that might be relevant:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=78839

phoenixrising
01-06-2008, 11:44 PM
I tried to compile some info about Precinct Conventions that might be relevant:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=78839
aloha everyone.....

K ...i was up till 3AM scouring these msg boards looking for info that would help define the caucus/primary/convention process that is **unique** for each state. this way everyone is informed in advance.

we learned a lot from iowa & wyoming....let's not forget it!

...then i found all this incredible work bradley did months ago!!!

with this in mind i was also looking for info on the delegate portion...(sorry bradley--i now get why you don't like the blanket word...yet i have to do it this time)

it may be time to go to the *lower portion* of the forum screen:

imho....this area ought to be swarming right now w/people from all over this entire forum to their respective states....to date there are only a little over 3000 posts & that's for all the states & territories!

we ae in crunch mode right now people ...time to use the tools here

in this area you will find a wealth of info by state...what to expect at your caucus/primary/convention process; *uniques* RULES for your state; delegate & alt process, dates, stages etc...etc...

i'm also including a link here RODO helped me locate...+ a quote from him:
http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf

"...You can see that it is really complicated. Sometimes it is pure primary but sometimes is a combination. So we have situation where some states may think they are just a primary but actually they have to caucus as well or part of the delegates are bound by primary results and part bound by caucus and convention results."

also another important link:
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/R-Alloc.phtml

this important doc was last update 1/3/2008 & states:
50% Penalty: 5 jurisdictions: Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Wyoming.

this means there are 50% less delegate positions for these states...& all the harder we need to work & be organized to capture the max for RP!!!

one last thing: 9 states are coming up against time constraints VERY quickly to be registered republican to vote...1 as early as today & 2 tomorrow!

AK - TODAY! AZ- jan7; CA- jan 22; HI- jan 15; LA -jan 9; ME- jan 17; MA- jan 16; OK- jan 11; UT- jan 7

see: http://www.primarilypaul.com/ron-paul-in-the-primaries/

we need those assisting us in acquiring our delegate positions to be registered republican!

bradley/rodo...if i've missed stated anything --please feel free to correct me & mahalo for your help!

Bradley in DC
01-07-2008, 12:40 AM
i'm also including a link here RODO helped me locate...+ a quote from him:
http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf

Excellent find--I'd been waiting for them to post this! :)

You may want to check out this subforum:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=239

and this post:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=47114

And now you understand my frustration here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=62664

phoenixrising
01-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Excellent find--I'd been waiting for them to post this! :)

You may want to check out this subforum:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=239

and this post:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=47114

And now you understand my frustration here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=62664
u did GREAT work brah...u & RODO r a dynomite combo! :) !!

--now we only need to keep this from being buried so it it utilized!! :)

StarCrossed06
01-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I need people in Rogers, AR!!! I have the materials, a great game plan, and a few VERY motivated people but we need more bodies. Anyone know people in North West Arkansas send them my way.
We have the University of Arkansas(WOOOO PIG SOOOIE!!!!) in Fayetteville, Northwest Ar community College, Springdale, Wal-mart World Headquaters offices in Bentonville, and the New World Trade center about 6 miles from my home in Rogers. All in about a 40 mile radius. Our Primaries are Feb. 5th. There are SOOOO many votes we could win! BUT I NEED PEOPLE! We are canvassing, we are at meet-ups, and tons of plans and ideas but we want to do more. We could be a hot spot! Please help us......

infojunkie
01-13-2008, 02:10 AM
See the posting I made in this thread about the delegate slate ordeal in NY:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=942360#post942360

Much thanks to everyone who helped. (I was busy in NH, don't thank me!)