PDA

View Full Version : Right to travel but privilige of transit?

GunnyFreedom
11-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Is that not an outright denial to entry into modern society without State licensure? "You hereby have our permission to enter into modern society." To me, that sounds like a denial of the liberty our Founders fought for - to pursue your own destiny.

Can I amend the Declaration of Independence to read "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of their own Destinies." ? :D

TSA transit:

Suppose: "No government employee whether at the State or the Federal level may detain transit users except on probable cause, and detainees may only be held for 45 minutes until release if detention not upheld by a Judicial warrant. North Carolina directs the President of the United States to spend our share of the TSA budget on the local airports and airlines towards each procuring their own security setup as their own marketplaces demand."

Government has gone where only the private market can go, and chaos has resulted. It's time for Uncle Sam to back out of my boxers. Please don't let them turn Uncle Sam into that "creepy" Uncle!

So I propose the North Carolina Right to Travel Act. Citizens have a right to cross counties, townships, and cities unmolested, and we have a right to select transit where we don't get molested by our own governments. The Right To Travel Act draws a line around this primary natural right, defines transit and transit stations, and the rights emanating from being citizen of this State and an American.

Each airport can do a better job for themselves, for less money than the TSA spends now, and the privatized model spreads the spending out into hundreds of smaller businesses instead of just a few government-favored monopolies the way it is now.

Privatize North Carolina Airport Security over 4 years as Uncle Sam backs out the spending and local markets stabilize. Less money wasted, money stays in the private market, and a grassroots industry is energized - local security. In the end, the best sort of all. That's why our Founders highly valued an elected Sheriff.

Our transit will become the safest, most traveler efficient, and most cost efficient in the nation, and North Carolina will become a magnet for new business. Federal cost for TSA in NC should then be deducted from NC's bill afterward.

We will demonstrate to America that Freedom really does work best - even in the face of actual terrorism - and become the model for an American revival that will enrich us all and make us safer at the same time.

Pericles
11-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Ultimately, I think the following is the public policy issue:

An individual has the right to travel - but this right applies to public thoroughfares, i. e. rivers, roads built at public expense, etc., but transit via private entity is a privilege.

Airports are where it gets really interesting - in that practically all are built with public funds, but the air carriers are private entities.

In deconflicting rights, the airport may require air carriers to extend right of travel to the aircraft as a condition of the airport lease.

Privately owned transportation entities would retain the right not to serve anyone for any reason, in a libertarian world.

Reality is that governments restrict the rights of those "serving the public" to refuse service to people for any reason.

If the private road owner refuses to let you pass, just build your own road, is thinking that is divorced from reality.

Brother Jonathan
11-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Good proposal Gunny.

Two Cents:

Having the support of county sheriffs and district attorneys if possible.
Word the Act in such a way that laypersons clearly understand NC is not granting travel rights, but rather the Act restricts government from infringing on their inherent rights.