PDA

View Full Version : CNN Breaking news: North Korea deploys SAMs

cindy25
11-27-2010, 08:17 PM
with the number of passenger flights that have layovers in South Korea this is very dangerous.

BlackTerrel
11-27-2010, 08:19 PM
I really hope this is the North just talking shit as usual... it does seem a bit different this time though. I hope I am wrong.

speciallyblend
11-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I really hope this is the North just talking shit as usual... it does seem a bit different this time though. I hope I am wrong.

To me North Korea has no choice but to start war to survive and prosper!! They are just using techniques we taught them;) They have 2 options,lose power as a country or fight! They just have not figured out how to occupy 130 plus countries like we have to secure power! NK is just another proxy country to wage battles with china!! NK is a buffer country for china!!

AMERICA LOVES Undeclared PROXY WARS;)

cindy25
11-27-2010, 08:33 PM
the difference is South Korean public opinion wants a war, and Obama needs a war to win in 2012

Reason
11-27-2010, 08:33 PM
what's scary is that you can't put anything past the neoconish powers that be that are behind the scenes that would love to instigate a war....

oh look NK blew up a commercial airliner!

50 years later...

Turns out NK wasn't responsible but no one cares now!

pcosmar
11-27-2010, 08:36 PM
South Korea should install scanners and gropers. That'll make them safe.
:p

sluggo
11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
South Korea should install scanners and gropers. That'll make them safe.
:p

No, you're wrong!

They need to go after torrenters and pot smoking country music legends!

Promontorium
11-27-2010, 09:18 PM
I am getting annoyed at all the people here who think "neocon" is synonymous with "pro-war". Neo conservatism isn't just "Christianity with tanks".

In case you haven't noticed, the agressor is North Korea. If the North starts a true assault, I will applaud the ROK defending itself.

speciallyblend
11-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I am getting annoyed at all the people here who think "neocon" is synonymous with "pro-war". Neo conservatism isn't just "Christianity with tanks".

In case you haven't noticed, the agressor is North Korea. If the North starts a true assault, I will applaud the ROK defending itself.

nope your right it is mormons with tanks to;) i hear what you are saying but many neo-cons and the right-wingers are one in the same not all but many;) NK will not start a war but we will. We are experts at proxy and undeclared wars!!NK is just trying to learn from the masters;)

every neo-con i have ever met is pro-war!!

LatinsforPaul
11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Korea is none of our business. Here is a good article that states we should be cautious and skeptical during the first days of a foreign confrontation.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2010/112410.html

RCA
11-27-2010, 09:30 PM
In case anyone besides myself was wondering what a SAM was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-to-air_missile

Liberty Rebellion
11-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Korea is none of our business. Here is a good article that states we should be cautious and skeptical during the first days of a foreign confrontation.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2010/112410.html

Man, haven't visited that site in a loooong time. I loved Robert's books, especially Lost History.

tangent4ronpaul
11-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Cue war #4 - the military industrial complex will be totally THRILLED! :rolleyes:

-t

Matt Collins
11-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I am hoping this will fizzle out in the next few days and weeks.

speciallyblend
11-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Cue war #4 - the military industrial complex will be totally THRILLED! :rolleyes:

-t

save the economy start another undeclared war Korea part Deux!!:rolleyes:

Zippyjuan
11-27-2010, 10:46 PM
North Korea has had SAMs deployed since the 1980's. Nothing new.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/dprk/airforce.htm

The bulk of North Korean radars are older Soviet and Chinese models with vacuum-tube technology, which limits continuous operations. The overall early warning and ground controlled intercept system is susceptible to saturation and jamming by a sophisticated foe with state-of-the-art electronic warfare capabilities. Nevertheless, the multilayered, coordinated, mutually supporting air defense structure is a formidable deterrent to air attack. Overlapping coverage and redundancy make penetration of North Korean air defenses a challenge.

The transport fleet has some 1950s- and 1960s-vintage former Soviet transports, including more than 270 An-2/COLT light transports and 10 An-24/COKEs. The COLT's ability to land on short, rough strips, makes it especially suited for the task of transporting SOF units. It can hold 10 combat troops and cruise at 160 kilometers (km) an hour. The NKAF has at least six COLT regiments and at least six regiments of attack and transport helicopters.

The DPRK, with over 8,800 AA guns, combined with SA-2, SA-3, and SA-5, and handheld SA-7 and SA-16 surface-to-air missiles, has constructed one of the world's most dense air defense networks. In the mid- 1980s, the former Soviet Union supplied SA-3/GOA surface-to-air missiles to the DPRK. The SA-3 provides short-range defense against low- flying aircraft. In 1987, the former Soviet Union provided SA-5/GAMMON surface-to-air missiles that gave Pyongyang a long-range, highaltitude, surface-to-air missile capability. The SA-2 GUIDELINE system provides medium-range, medium-altitude point defense for cities and military airfields, as well as a barrier defense along the DMZ.

SA-2 and SA-3 battalions are concentrated along the coastal corridors, while most SA-5 GAMMON battalions are located near the DMZ and are extended north to cover Pyongyang

axiomata
11-27-2010, 11:05 PM

No kidding. NK is a military police state. The parallel is the most militarized zone in the world. They've had elaborate bunkers and enough firepower to destroy Seoul for years in a single volley. The question is not how but if and why.

wildfirepower
11-27-2010, 11:06 PM
When North Korea shoots down 10 or 20 USA figther planes, it will be something new.

pcosmar
11-27-2010, 11:16 PM

True.
But why report what isn't news.

Oh and I can't find it on CNN. But I did find this.
http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/latest-news/133953-north-korea-readies-missiles-as-military-drill-begins.html
North Korea readies missiles as military drill begins

YEONPYEONG, South Korea – North Korea has placed surface-to-surface missiles on launch pads in the Yellow Sea, Yonhap news agency reported on Sunday, as the United States and South Korea began joint military exercises that have upset neighbor China.

The agency also said North Korea had moved surface-to-air missiles to frontline areas, days after it shelled a tiny South Korean island killing four people. The North's official KCNA news agency warned of retaliatory action if its territory is violated.

edit
Also on Reuters
http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFTOE6AR00L20101128

lx43
11-27-2010, 11:19 PM
We should withdraw our forces from SK IMO or at the very least get SK to start paying us for all our expenses associated with bein their protector.

legion
11-27-2010, 11:24 PM
When North Korea shoots down 10 or 20 USA figther planes, it will be something new.

you have a very wild imagination

YouTube - Baghdad SHOCK and AWE 21.03.2003 21h Lokal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Smjn9wou8)

I think they mean they have turned on active radar on their equipment. They have very good signals intelligence on being able to tell what has been turned on and where it is.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Nothing is going to happen. This is just Kim Jong-Il teaching his son successor how to blackmail the U.S. We'll be giving them food and money as a bribe to knock it off soon enough.

specsaregood
11-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Nothing is going to happen. This is just Kim Jong-Il teaching his son successor how to blackmail the U.S. We'll be giving them food and money as a bribe to knock it off soon enough.

^there is much wisdom in these words.

wildfirepower
11-27-2010, 11:40 PM
I agree. Nothing is going to happen.

Everybody will live for 10,000 years.

axiomata
11-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Serious question. Could these cold war and older era
SAMs even lock onto the signatures of stealth jets?

low preference guy
11-27-2010, 11:53 PM

and when the government does that, the korean dictator will laugh at the idiots who run the government.

how great it would be if a well-known politician gives his take on the situation saying the exact same words you posted. all media nationwide will be shocked by hearing just that amount of common sense.

pcosmar
11-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Serious question. Could these cold war and older era
SAMs even lock onto the signatures of stealth jets?

That would depend on what if any alterations or upgrades were done.
I don't know if NK has anti-stealth technology.

Likely they are the old radar guided type.

sratiug
11-27-2010, 11:57 PM
That would depend on what if any alterations or upgrades were done.
I don't know if NK has anti-stealth technology.

Likely they are the old radar guided type.

There's another kind????

pcosmar
11-28-2010, 12:00 AM
There's another kind????

Yup.
Heat seeking
Laser guided
Human guided

And even low tech "Hail Mary".
;)

Tinnuhana
11-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Wonder if this will have any impact on family housing planned for Camp Casey?

angelatc
11-28-2010, 12:14 AM

In case you haven't noticed, the agressor is North Korea.

That's only true if you don't consider devastating economic sanctions an act of war.

Pericles
11-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Wonder if this will have any impact on family housing planned for Camp Casey?

Ever heard of Noncombatant Evacuation Operation?

wildfirepower
11-28-2010, 07:12 AM
you have a very wild imagination
The North Korea also has something like 90 submarines. They may not be the latest and greatest, but it only takes one to sink a carrier. It's plainly obvious that any war with Nth Korea would be a bloodbath compared to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just for a start, the north has a huge amount of heavy artillery in range of Seoul and could cause devastating damage.

The Korean People's Army operates a very large amount of equipment, including 4,060 tanks, 2,500 APCs, 17,900 artillery pieces (incl. mortars), 11,000 air defence guns in the Ground force; at least 915 vessels in the Navy and 1,748 aircraft in the Air Force, of which 388 are fighters [85] as well as some 10,000 MANPADS and anti-tank guided missiles.[86] The equipment is a mixture of World War II vintage vehicles and small arms, widely proliferated Cold War technology, and more modern Soviet weapons. According to official North Korean media, planned military expenditures for 2010 are 15.8% of GDP.

North Korea has nuclear and ballistic missile weapons programs and has been subject to United Nations Security Council resolutions 1695 of July 2006, 1718 of October 2006, and 1874 of June 2009, for carrying out both missile and nuclear tests. North Korea probably has fissile material for up to 9 nuclear weapons,[88] and has the capability to deploy nuclear warheads on intermediate-range ballistic missiles.[

Thomas
11-28-2010, 09:17 AM
the moment the war starts, Seoul will be completely destroyed by artillery

Dreamofunity
11-28-2010, 09:22 AM
My sister wanted to go teach in South Korea for a bit, I'm glad she decided against it now.

BlackTerrel
11-28-2010, 01:21 PM
My sister wanted to go teach in South Korea for a bit, I'm glad she decided against it now.

There's conflict everywhere. I would still say Seoul is safer than most US cities - even with the latest news.

chudrockz
11-28-2010, 02:42 PM
There's conflict everywhere. I would still say Seoul is safer than most US cities - even with the latest news.

I wouldn't, and it makes me glad to exist in rural Minnesota. :)

charrob
11-28-2010, 02:53 PM
i agree with Ron Paul that what happened a few days ago really is a minor border skirmish-- South Korea actually admitted firing the first shots in some military exercise that apparently slightly went over into North Korean waters. Granted-- the North Koreans are paranoid and their response was overblown. But compared to the stuff going on in the middle east, this seems minor imho.