PDA

View Full Version : Silver As Money, truly

forsmant
11-27-2010, 11:18 AM
If we truly want to use silver or gold as money again, the government must revalue it to a higher price than the metal content. Silver eagles should be a 50$ coin and so on. That is the only way in the near future that silver would be used as money on a massive scale.

erowe1
11-27-2010, 11:34 AM
If we truly want to use silver or gold as money again, the government must revalue it to a higher price than the metal content. Silver eagles should be a 50$ coin and so on. That is the only way in the near future that silver would be used as money on a massive scale.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

I mean, that's exactly what the government does with the coins we use as money now, only with Zinc and other cheaper metals.

Bern
11-27-2010, 11:51 AM

The market will be revaluing it to $50 or more once the yoke of JPM is broken.

Travlyr
11-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Huh? So exactly "who" in the government is genius enough to place an arbitrary value on metal? Treasury Secretary, Tim Geithner? Hasn't government meddling in the markets screwed up enough stuff already?

The ONLY honest way to value any commodity is to let laissez-faire free-market capitalism work its magic.

erowe1
11-27-2010, 11:55 AM
The market will be revaluing it to $50 or more once the yoke of JPM is broken.

I think his concern was that their nominal value as legal tender would still only be $1, so they would be hoarded instead of circulated as currency.

forsmant
11-27-2010, 11:56 AM
There will be no usage of silver as money so long as there is other money arbitrarily over valued.

Travlyr
11-27-2010, 11:57 AM
The black market already values silver as money.

forsmant
11-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

I mean, that's exactly what the government does with the coins we use as money now, only with Zinc and other cheaper metals.

We still use those coins though.

forsmant
11-27-2010, 11:58 AM
The black market already values silver as money.

No it doesn't. I have never traded my silver on the black market.

Travlyr
11-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Maybe you should consider it. It works tax free.

forsmant
11-27-2010, 12:00 PM
All black market is tax free. So why would I unload undervalued money as opposed to overvalued paper?

Travlyr
11-27-2010, 12:03 PM
The black market is value for value. Apmex will pay about $30 for an ounce of silver. So trade an ounce of silver for a couple hours of labor. Seems about right to me.

erowe1
11-27-2010, 12:03 PM
We still use those coins though.

Yes, because the government tells us we have to. That's a bad thing.

forsmant
11-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes, because the government tells us we have to. That's a bad thing.

I use them because they are artificially overvalued and legally mandated.:P

I know that its bad but you either have to eliminate legal tender laws and the federal reserve. Both of which are way out of reach as of yet. SO maybe a revaluation of silver would put it in circulation thus getting people used to the idea of silver as money again.

forsmant
11-27-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=270503

erowe1
11-27-2010, 12:17 PM
I use them because they are artificially overvalued and legally mandated.:P

I know that its bad but you either have to eliminate legal tender laws and the federal reserve. Both of which are way out of reach as of yet. SO maybe a revaluation of silver would put it in circulation thus getting people used to the idea of silver as money again.

But why is fiat money made of silver any better than fiat money made of zinc or paper? Is it just that you see a symbolic victory in people thinking silver=money?

forsmant
11-27-2010, 12:19 PM
yes. If people are using silver they should be more apt to think it a good idea to take the fiat away.

Travlyr
11-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Nobody can say what silver is worth. It is worth whatever someone will pay for it not some mandated value at the point of a gun. The Internet is the free-market in action and that is why Rothschild descendant Senator Jay Rockefeller wants to control the Internet. Competition is bad, mandated control by smart elite is good in his feeble mind.

When I want to know what silver is selling for today, I look to the coin dealer, and Internet sites to find the going rate. Then I pay for services accordingly.

When I need a plumber, I don't care if he has a professional license, a business license, pays his helper some mandated wage, or beats his dog a night (I don't even ask). What I care about is whither or not he can do the job. I pay him silver according to the agreement when he is done, and he doesn't have to share it with anybody... no taxes, no health care mandate, no license fees, no unemployment insurance, no social security, on and on, etc. It's not my deal. I get my plumbing done, and he is paid in full.

forsmant
11-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Nobody can say what silver is worth. It is worth whatever someone will pay for it not some mandated value at the point of a gun. The Internet is the free-market in action and that is why Rothschild descendant Senator Jay Rockefeller wants to control the Internet. Competition is bad, mandated control by smart elite is good in his feeble mind.

When I want to know what silver is selling for today, I look to the coin dealer, and Internet sites to find the going rate. Then I pay for services accordingly.

When I need a plumber, I don't care if he has a professional license, a business license, pays his helper some mandated wage, or beats his dog a night (I don't even ask). What I care about is whither or not he can do the job. I pay him silver according to the agreement when he is done, and he doesn't have to share it with anybody... no taxes, no health care mandate, no license fees, no unemployment insurance, no social security, on and on, etc. It's not my deal. I get my plumbing done, and he is paid in full.

I don't know what your talking about. That plumber would be liable for taxes if he was caught. Not that I care. More power to the both of you.

Travlyr
11-27-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't know what your talking about. That plumber would be liable for taxes if he was caught. Not that I care. More power to the both of you.
That's right, he can be thrown in jail for fixing a leak, and I could be thrown in jail for getting a leak fixed. And this is in the "freest country the world has ever known?" It doesn't really sound like a free country at all. I call bullshit.

The ONLY reason that I don't, in real life, pay my plumber in silver (under the table) is so that I don't end up behind bars. It's just as much bullshit as Willie Nelson having to pay bribery charges to the authorities for having dried plants in his possession. It's bullshit.

forsmant
11-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Ok OK The world sucks. THis thread is not about freedom. Its about trying to get silver used as money again.

Travlyr
11-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Ok OK The world sucks. THis thread is not about freedom. Its about trying to get silver used as money again.
wtf dude? I just gave you a clear example of how silver used as money works in the real world, and you claim derail?

Edit for clarification - The world doesn't suck for me. I point out violations of liberty and those violations come from the fact that it is illegal to use silver as money.

Icymudpuppy
11-27-2010, 03:17 PM
I accept silver at my business. Currently, I quote my prices in dollars, and I will give you $20 of labor for an ounce of silver. Considering the difficulty of liquidating silver because of the limited number of vendors who accept it, the lower than metal value I give for it is fair for labor exchange.

Travlyr
11-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I accept silver at my business. Currently, I quote my prices in dollars, and I will give you $20 of labor for an ounce of silver. Considering the difficulty of liquidating silver because of the limited number of vendors who accept it, the lower than metal value I give for it is fair for labor exchange.

Good post. I will give you $25 of labor for an ounce of silver.