PDA

View Full Version : What if the Tea Party was Black?

KramerDSP
11-26-2010, 07:58 PM
A friend tweeted this article, which I am pasting below. It made me angry. The context is on "White Privilege" and the Tea Party is used as an example. I wanted to share this with you all in an attempt to discuss the content and examples used within the Article.

Let me be clear. I am someone who believes that while quite a significant number of Americans have "woken up" and realized how overreaching our Federal Governemnt is, just as many "Tea Party Activists" would be doing absolutely nothing if Rudy McRomney was President instead of Obama. So there IS a tinge of hypocrisy and racism within elements of the Tea Party, just as there are tinges of hypocrisy and racism within left-wingers.

At the same time, articles like this upset me because we keep forgetting MLK's core message of "Judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin". I was hoping this thread would help create counter-arguments that are more effective than mine. Any thoughts/rants?

http://www.speakoutnow.org/article.php?id=341&preview=1&cache=0

Imagine if the Tea Party Was Black?

Imagine that hundreds of black protesters descended on DC armed with AK-47s. Would they be defended as patriotic Americans?

By Tim Wise
April 25, 2010

Let’s play a game, shall we? The name of the game is called “Imagine.” The way it’s played is simple: we’ll envision recent happenings in the news, but then change them up a bit. Instead of envisioning white people as the main actors in the scenes we’ll conjure - the ones who are driving the action - we’ll envision black folks or other people of color instead. The object of the game is to imagine the public reaction to the events or incidents, if the main actors were of color, rather than white. Whoever gains the most insight into the workings of race in America, at the end of the game, wins.

So let’s begin.

Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters —the black protesters — spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government? Would these protesters — these black protesters with guns — be seen as brave defenders of the Second Amendment, or would they be viewed by most whites as a danger to the republic? What if they were Arab-Americans? Because, after all, that’s what happened recently when white gun enthusiasts descended upon the nation’s capital, arms in hand, and verbally announced their readiness to make war on the country’s political leaders if the need arose.

Imagine that white members of Congress, while walking to work, were surrounded by thousands of angry black people, one of whom proceeded to spit on one of those congressmen for not voting the way the black demonstrators desired. Would the protesters be seen as merely patriotic Americans voicing their opinions, or as an angry, potentially violent, and even insurrectionary mob? After all, this is what white Tea Party protesters did recently in Washington.

Imagine that a rap artist were to say, in reference to a white president: “He’s a piece of shit and I told him to suck on my machine gun.” Because that’s what rocker Ted Nugent said recently about President Obama.

Imagine that a prominent mainstream black political commentator had long employed an overt bigot as Executive Director of his organization, and that this bigot regularly participated in black separatist conferences, and once assaulted a white person while calling them by a racial slur. When that prominent black commentator and his sister — who also works for the organization — defended the bigot as a good guy who was misunderstood and “going through a tough time in his life” would anyone accept their excuse-making? Would that commentator still have a place on a mainstream network? Because that’s what happened in the real world, when Pat Buchanan employed as Executive Director of his group, America’s Cause, a blatant racist who did all these things, or at least their white equivalents: attending white separatist conferences and attacking a black woman while calling her the n-word.

Imagine that a black radio host were to suggest that the only way to get promoted in the administration of a white president is by “hating black people,” or that a prominent white person had only endorsed a white presidential candidate as an act of racial bonding, or blamed a white president for a fight on a school bus in which a black kid was jumped by two white kids, or said that he wouldn’t want to kill all conservatives, but rather, would like to leave just enough—“living fossils” as he called them—“so we will never forget what these people stood for.” After all, these are things that Rush Limbaugh has said, about Barack Obama’s administration, Colin Powell’s endorsement of Barack Obama, a fight on a school bus in Belleville, Illinois in which two black kids beat up a white kid, and about liberals, generally.

Imagine that a black pastor, formerly a member of the U.S. military, were to declare, as part of his opposition to a white president’s policies, that he was ready to “suit up, get my gun, go to Washington, and do what they trained me to do.” This is, after all, what Pastor Stan Craig said recently at a Tea Party rally in Greenville, South Carolina.

Imagine a black radio talk show host gleefully predicting a revolution by people of color if the government continues to be dominated by the rich white men who have been “destroying” the country, or if said radio personality were to call Christians or Jews non-humans, or say that when it came to conservatives, the best solution would be to “hang ‘em high.” And what would happen to any congressional representative who praised that commentator for “speaking common sense” and likened his hate talk to “American values?” After all, those are among the things said by radio host and best-selling author Michael Savage, predicting white revolution in the face of multiculturalism, or said by Savage about Muslims and liberals, respectively. And it was Congressman Culbertson, from Texas, who praised Savage in that way, despite his hateful rhetoric.

Imagine a black political commentator suggesting that the only thing the guy who flew his plane into the Austin, Texas IRS building did wrong was not blowing up Fox News instead. This is, after all, what Anne Coulter said about Tim McVeigh, when she noted that his only mistake was not blowing up the New York Times.

Imagine that a popular black liberal website posted comments about the daughter of a white president, calling her “typical redneck trash,” or a “whore” whose mother entertains her by “making monkey sounds.” After all that’s comparable to what conservatives posted about Malia Obama on freerepublic.com last year, when they referred to her as “ghetto trash.”

Imagine that black protesters at a large political rally were walking around with signs calling for the lynching of their congressional enemies. Because that’s what white conservatives did last year, in reference to Democratic party leaders in Congress.

In other words, imagine that even one-third of the anger and vitriol currently being hurled at President Obama, by folks who are almost exclusively white, were being aimed, instead, at a white president, by people of color. How many whites viewing the anger, the hatred, the contempt for that white president would then wax eloquent about free speech, and the glories of democracy? And how many would be calling for further crackdowns on thuggish behavior, and investigations into the radical agendas of those same people of color?

To ask any of these questions is to answer them. Protest is only seen as fundamentally American when those who have long had the luxury of seeing themselves as prototypically American engage in it. When the dangerous and dark “other” does so, however, it isn’t viewed as normal or natural, let alone patriotic. Which is why Rush Limbaugh could say, this past week, that the Tea Parties are the first time since the Civil War that ordinary, common Americans stood up for their rights: a statement that erases the normalcy and “Americanness” of blacks in the civil rights struggle, not to mention women in the fight for suffrage and equality, working people in the fight for better working conditions, and LGBT folks as they struggle to be treated as full and equal human beings.

And this, my friends, is what white privilege is all about. The ability to threaten others, to engage in violent and incendiary rhetoric without consequence, to be viewed as patriotic and normal no matter what you do, and never to be feared and despised as people of color would be, if they tried to get away with half the shit we do, on a daily basis.

Game Over.

awake
11-26-2010, 07:59 PM
No cream, no sugar?

RM918
11-26-2010, 08:05 PM
A bunch of black people with AK-47s marching for the 2nd amendment and the rest of the Constitution, denouncing the big government policies of Mitt Romney?

I wish.

Southron
11-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Written by a white guy no doubt.

What is it with white people and collective guilt?

pcosmar
11-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Tim Wise
Research = a real piece of work. Extreme leftist. Ties to SPLC and People's Institute for Survival and Beyond.
Not liked by the white supremacist bunch either, but I won't post their crap either.

Prolific Anti-White writer.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-26-2010, 08:33 PM
I hate them teabaggers. Always supporting wars, wanting us all to be taxed more, and hating black people.

Anti Federalist
11-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Written by a white guy no doubt.

What is it with white people and collective guilt?

Tim Wise wrote this.

It's not even collective guilt, he's found a happy niche market.

pcosmar
11-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Tim Wise wrote this.

It's not even collective guilt, he's found a happy niche market.

I won't post any of the many links to it, But Google
An Open Letter to the White Right

Consider the source.
;)

ForeverAlone
11-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Kinda reminds me of that one girl on Olbermann.

What's her name? Jineene Girafalo?

KramerDSP
11-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Tim Wise
Research = a real piece of work. Extreme leftist. Ties to SPLC and People's Institute for Survival and Beyond.
Not liked by the white supremacist bunch either, but I won't post their crap either.

Prolific Anti-White writer.

Makes much more sense now. Thanks.

BlackTerrel
11-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Whether people like to say it or not race plays an integral role in almost everything in America.

To this guy's point - notice the difference between an NBA player brawl and a baseball brawl. When it's baseball players "oh that's just baseball" and "guys being guys" but when it's NBA "these thugs are out of control"

Why do you think that is?

Theocrat
11-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Tim Wise overlooks the fact that there are Blacks involved with the Tea Party Movement already. In any case, why does skin color always have to be a factor when liberals disagree with their opponents? It's getting tiring, and most of all, it is racist.

KramerDSP
11-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Whether people like to say it or not race plays an integral role in almost everything in America.

To this guy's point - notice the difference between an NBA player brawl and a baseball brawl. When it's baseball players "oh that's just baseball" and "guys being guys" but when it's NBA "these thugs are out of control"

Why do you think that is?

No disagreement here with that analogy.

But I'm tired of being lumped in with "racist teabaggers who spit on congressmen".

If MLK were alive today, he would be disgusted that as a country, we are still obsessed with race.

RedBloodConservative
11-26-2010, 09:09 PM
I hate them teabaggers. Always supporting wars, wanting us all to be taxed more, and hating black people.

Dont know what Tea Party you have seen, but that sure as hell isnt the tea party movment I am a member of..

Tea Party Patriots. We marched in DC, guess what, there were tons of Black People! I personally know a tea party group that has 250 members, and more than half are black, and most of them are hoping ron paul runs for President.
Also remember that a large part of the Tea Party Patriots groups support Ron Paul!

Ron is credited with starting the Tea Party Movment. Also a great Majority of Us are ANTI-WAR!!!!!!!And we do not want taxed more, are you serious???

Also there are many Black Causus Conservative groups around that work very closely with the Tea Party Patriots.

Tinnuhana
11-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Good response for tea partiers of European origin: if they were protesting for constitutional government, we'd be there with them or cheering them on.
Of course, the author does see hypocrisy, but he's seeing people as groups and not as individuals. In that way, he's a racist himself.
I wonder how many racists of all ethnicities are so because of a genuine feeling that they're superior or are so because they feel they are not given the same"goodies", usually by the government. I think there's quite a difference. I have an acquaintance who once ranted about all the money in education "wasted" on the mentally handicapped till he was asked if he would be saying any of that if gifted kids were given the same benefits. He said, "No." So it was not so much a prejudice against the one group as it was anger that the other group wasn't getting "theirs".

Jordan
11-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Imagine if this white guy went to protest with them.

KramerDSP
11-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Dont know what Tea Party you have seen, but that sure as hell isnt the tea party movment I am a member of..

Tea Party Patriots. We marched in DC, guess what, there were tons of Black People! I personally know a tea party group that has 250 members, and more than half are black, and most of them are hoping ron paul runs for President.
Also remember that a large part of the Tea Party Patriots groups support Ron Paul!

Ron is credited with starting the Tea Party Movment. Also a great Majority of Us are ANTI-WAR!!!!!!!And we do not want taxed more, are you serious???

Also there are many Black Causus Conservative groups around that work very closely with the Tea Party Patriots.

I wish I was as optimistic as you, but I see the Tea Party as being fractured in two, with an unknown percentage being Pro-War Social Conservatives and the other group being Ron Paul-style Tea Partiers.

There's a guy by the name of Juddson Phillips, CEO of Tea Party Nation who runs @TeaPartyNation on Twitter, and he's bashing anyone who even sounds Paulian.

tropicangela
11-26-2010, 09:31 PM
YouTube - Runaway Slave Movie Teaser (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55aujTwuJY8)

YouTube - 4409 -- Brother carries AR-15 Rifle at Obama Rally (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63GiXzpfGhA)

Humanae Libertas
11-26-2010, 09:42 PM
After reading it, I've felt it was more of a rant on blacks carrying guns. Which I will agree with him to some extent. I believe there is a racial double standard when minorities legally carry guns out in the open, it is portrayed by the media as wrong, evil, and so on (you get the picture) but a group that is heavily white carry guns out in the open is called a Second Amendment rally etc., but rarely will it be seen as evil and most likely they will not be hassled much by the cops.

On the other hand, if it was a 2nd amendment rally held by minorities and other non-whites, you think they wouldn't be hassled by the cops or any arrest for carrying legally?

I'm not a person that usually gets into race, but the reality is, there is a small double standard when it comes to firearms and minorities (i.e. Black Panthers carrying guns in Texas back 2000).

Anti Federalist
11-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm not a person that usually gets into race, but the reality is, there is a small double standard when it comes to firearms and minorities (i.e. Black Panthers carrying guns in Texas back 2000).

Twenty years ago, I would have said you were right.

Now, not so much so.

The cops will light your ass up, black or white, in a heartbeat.

RedBloodConservative
11-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I wish I was as optimistic as you, but I see the Tea Party as being fractured in two, with an unknown percentage being Pro-War Social Conservatives and the other group being Ron Paul-style Tea Partiers.

There's a guy by the name of Juddson Phillips, CEO of Tea Party Nation who runs @TeaPartyNation on Twitter, and he's bashing anyone who even sounds Paulian.

I cannot stand Tea Party Nation and Juddson Phillips..I was talking about the Tea Party Patriots...

The Tea Party patriots along with Freedomworks are who planned and did the 9-12 march on washington, Tea Party Nation nor Tea Party Express had any deal in the matter.

IMO the only true Tea Party groups belong to Tea Party Patriots..

i agree there are some splits in the Tea Parties, I am a Coordinator for the Tea Parties in SC..We are split on mainly

War- Of course, but the majority in Tea Party Patriots seem to be either Anti-War or End this conflict and only go to war if absolutly necessary

Endorsing: Some of us want to, some of us dont. this is the biggest split.

KramerDSP
11-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I cannot stand Tea Party Nation and Juddson Phillips..I was talking about the Tea Party Patriots...

The Tea Party patriots along with Freedomworks are who planned and did the 9-12 march on washington, Tea Party Nation nor Tea Party Express had any deal in the matter.

IMO the only true Tea Party groups belong to Tea Party Patriots..

i agree there are some splits in the Tea Parties, I am a Coordinator for the Tea Parties in SC..We are split on mainly

War- Of course, but the majority in Tea Party Patriots seem to be either Anti-War or End this conflict and only go to war if absolutly necessary

Endorsing: Some of us want to, some of us dont. this is the biggest split.

Thanks for clarifying. Those on the Left like to define the image of the average Tea Partier as being someone from Tea Party Nation, and it frustrates me to no end. I wish there was some type of P.R. campaign to distinguish between astroturfers and the real thing.

nate895
11-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Umm...When did thousands of Tea Partiers gather with AK-47's or other firearms in area surrounding DC? I'm pretty sure anybody doing that, whether they be white, black, or green, would have been slaughtered by the US Military.

crazyfacedjenkins
11-26-2010, 10:49 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__qcFdrpAjc8/SrU8cSIQdeI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/9BYAQsB8muE/s400/Racist_Baby_Redux.jpg