PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Drew is a libertarian

Fredom101
11-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Just listened to the latest Adam Carolla show with Dr Drew. Drew goes off about the government and said he's becoming a libertarian...I agree with these guys except for when they say "Well we do need SOME regulation".

http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2010/11/25/dr-drew-4/

Slutter McGee
11-26-2010, 10:50 AM
When most people say "SOME regulation" they are usually talking about preventing fraud and abuse of the consumer. Which in my opinion is one of the few legitimate functions of government.

Unfortunately it is this legitimate function that is abused by Congress as they push through bills that are really about control under the false name of fraud prevention.

Slutter McGee

Stary Hickory
11-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Libertarianish...

I suspect. That is way better than Neoconish or Fabian Socailistish.

akforme
11-26-2010, 11:19 AM
The fact that they bring up Enron means they don't really understand the issue. You can't deregulate price, and liability in a government created monopoly, That's just restarted and proves why government doesn't work.

However, the understanding of private property is hard because we are never taught about it, and most don't understand the power it has.

Fredom101
11-26-2010, 12:34 PM
The fact that they bring up Enron means they don't really understand the issue. You can't deregulate price, and liability in a government created monopoly, That's just restarted and proves why government doesn't work.

However, the understanding of private property is hard because we are never taught about it, and most don't understand the power it has.

Yeah, what's amazing is that Drew seems just shocked at how everything is now, as if the government were once this great benevolent organization and now suddenly some bad people got a hold of the power and are going crazy with it!

TCE
11-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I have listened to him many times, he is no libertarian. He is wealthy, so he probably supports a more free-market system, but especially when it comes to health care, he loves the current system. I am almost positive he loves the drug war as well.

Fredom101
11-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I have listened to him many times, he is no libertarian. He is wealthy, so he probably supports a more free-market system, but especially when it comes to health care, he loves the current system. I am almost positive he loves the drug war as well.

You're right he is pretty inline with the mainstream, but listen to this recent show, he is definitely progressing in his thinking even if he's not all the way on our side yet.

RonPaulwillWin
11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Well, we do need SOME regulation.

Fredom101
11-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Well, we do need SOME regulation.

No, "we" don't. Name one area where government regulation has helped business. And then you run into the problem of, who regulates the regulators?

Government regulation fails in each and every case.

TCE
11-26-2010, 01:54 PM
http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/members/vertigo+paris/albums/misc+pics-36/thread-derail-1953.jpg

Rael
11-26-2010, 02:24 PM
When most people say "SOME regulation" they are usually talking about preventing fraud and abuse of the consumer. Which in my opinion is one of the few legitimate functions of government.

Unfortunately it is this legitimate function that is abused by Congress as they push through bills that are really about control under the false name of fraud prevention.

Slutter McGee

which really just says, you need common law courts

RonPaulwillWin
11-26-2010, 02:44 PM
No, "we" don't. Name one area where government regulation has helped business. And then you run into the problem of, who regulates the regulators?

Government regulation fails in each and every case.

I was partly joking, but the USDA maybe?

Fredom101
11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I was partly joking, but the USDA maybe?

It's actually worse to have a USDA or a regulatory agency than not- 1) these agencies inevitably become corrupt (again who watches the watchers), and there is the ILLUSION of safety because everyone assumes it's all taken care of by the government, when it is not. In a free market, you better believe that these food companies would not risk tainted food for the sake of a few extra dollars, because they know it would kill their business (much like airlines would not be allowing planes to fall out of the sky if not for the gov't!).

ronaldo23
12-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Actually, he thinks the health-care system is a disaster. He talks about how it makes him sad every day that such a wonderful profession has been destroyed by government regulations and how he encourages his kids to avoid the profession because of this. He spoke out after ObamaCare came out that he expects doctors to leave to the profession. Remember, his income is 99% from tv/radio, so it's not like the healthcare system somehow benefits him now.

Also, in regards to drugs, his views are mixed.He has said that the threat of legal consequences can sometimes be a powerful tool to help his recovering addicts from relapsing (like court-ordered rehabs for example). But, he has also said how prohibition has arguably made things much worse than they would be if drugs were legal.

Drew really is somewhat a libertarian- in addition to his podcasts, he even told Howard Stern last week that he considers himself a libertarian more and more every day, and his books are all about how families need to assume personal responsibility for raising their children instead relying on the government to try and do everything.