PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul was elected 87 years ago...

RileyE104
11-25-2010, 03:53 AM
YouTube - Calvin Coolidge on Republican Principles, 1924 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skEkhdQJFYE&feature=related)

Here's to him being elected in 2012... :D

wormyguy
11-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Calvin Coolidge was our best president. All downhill from there.

RileyE104
11-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Calvin Coolidge was our best president. All downhill from there.

I assume the reason we never learn about him in school is because the Globalists hate him? I also assume they laid the blame of the Great Depression on him and our beliefs instead of the Federal Reserve?

Brett
11-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I assume the reason we never learn about him in school is because the Globalists hate him? I also assume they laid the blame of the Great Depression on him and our beliefs instead of the Federal Reserve?

They blame his up cycle as causing the bust and the down cycle. Except his up cycle included making government smaller and balancing the budget :rolleyes:

Fozz
11-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Coolidge was so good, I'd love for government to be the size that it was in the 1920's, a time when capitalism thrived, there was no welfare state, and the US avoided an interventionist foreign policy, not to mention balancing the budget and slashing the debt. Those were the days when America was not only the world's greatest nation, but also the greatest creditor with a system of sound money and very low taxes, and of course lots of freedom. Women and blacks enjoyed more freedom and prosperity than ever before.

Legend1104
11-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I always thought of Cleveland as being our best president.

dannno
11-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice

Churchill2004
11-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Coolidge was so good, I'd love for government to be the size that it was in the 1920's, a time when capitalism thrived, there was no welfare state, and the US avoided an interventionist foreign policy, not to mention balancing the budget and slashing the debt. Those were the days when America was not only the world's greatest nation, but also the greatest creditor with a system of sound money and very low taxes, and of course lots of freedom. Women and blacks enjoyed more freedom and prosperity than ever before.

I understand the impulse to identify some period in the past as a "golden age" for liberty, but it's dangerously misleading. Such arguments are going to always be horribly repulsive to non-white males and anyone who appreciates the history of their oppression.

The 1920s did see woman's suffrage, but it was a nadir of American race relations. The idea that it was a golden age for women and blacks is an absurdity- this is the height of the Klan revival we're talking about, the peak of angry mob lynchings in the South, and women got the vote but not much more. And the tone-deaf pining for the past is going to alienate all those many Americans- including most white males- who rightfully regard now as the free-est time in American history. For every one complaint you have against the Feds today, and they are many and weighty and deserve to prevail, I could provide many more serious and violent attacks on human liberty in whatever decade past you wish to select- the 1770s, the 1890s, the 1920s, the 1950s, etc.

Also the "no welfare state" thing, in addition to being not entirely true, plays directly into the hands of the narrative of pre-progressive America as a robber-baron-enslaved hellscape.

There's a lot to be good said about Coolidge, no doubt about it. Rescuing his reputation is a great idea. But the liberty movement shoots itself in the foot with a retrograde attitude of"why can't we just got back to [insert mythical golden age here]?" Few things could appear more abhorrent to the uninitiated.

BlackTerrel
11-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Didn't Van Wider go to Coolidge College?

SamuraisWisdom
11-27-2010, 01:04 PM

:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

I understand the impulse to identify some period in the past as a "golden age" for liberty, but it's dangerously misleading. Such arguments are going to always be horribly repulsive to non-white males and anyone who appreciates the history of their oppression.

The 1920s did see woman's suffrage, but it was a nadir of American race relations. The idea that it was a golden age for women and blacks is an absurdity- this is the height of the Klan revival we're talking about, the peak of angry mob lynchings in the South, and women got the vote but not much more. And the tone-deaf pining for the past is going to alienate all those many Americans- including most white males- who rightfully regard now as the free-est time in American history. For every one complaint you have against the Feds today, and they are many and weighty and deserve to prevail, I could provide many more serious and violent attacks on human liberty in whatever decade past you wish to select- the 1770s, the 1890s, the 1920s, the 1950s, etc.

Also the "no welfare state" thing, in addition to being not entirely true, plays directly into the hands of the narrative of pre-progressive America as a robber-baron-enslaved hellscape.

There's a lot to be good said about Coolidge, no doubt about it. Rescuing his reputation is a great idea. But the liberty movement shoots itself in the foot with a retrograde attitude of"why can't we just got back to [insert mythical golden age here]?" Few things could appear more abhorrent to the uninitiated.

Agreed 100%