PDA

View Full Version : Poll-Majority oppose or are unsure of military action to help S. Korea

Brett85
11-24-2010, 09:49 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/north_korea/many_voters_want_to_help_south_korea_militarily_bu t_not_with_more_troops

Additionally, the poll shows that a majority of Americans are willing to defend only 5 countries around the world. In my opinion that's a rejection of the neocon philosophy that the U.S should defend the entire world.

MRK
11-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Give a little more time for the war drums to beat and unfortunately I think a majority would support military action against North Korea. 46% is pretty high to begin with.

BlackTerrel
11-25-2010, 05:40 PM
This actually sounds like the majority support military action - 46 to 29. 25% have no opinion.

Forty-six percent (46%) of voters believe the United States should provide military assistance to South Korea if it is attacked by North Korea. Twenty-nine percent (29%) disagree and say military assistance should not be provided, while another 25% are not sure.

Brett85
11-25-2010, 06:06 PM
This actually sounds like the majority support military action - 46 to 29. 25% have no opinion.

A plurality supports military action, but I just thought the percentage would be higher than that. Before we went into Iraq about 75% of the American people supported it, and that was a war that was much more unjustified than a war on behalf on an ally would be. I think that people are becoming more non interventionist overall.

BlackTerrel
11-25-2010, 06:45 PM
A plurality supports military action, but I just thought the percentage would be higher than that. Before we went into Iraq about 75% of the American people supported it, and that was a war that was much more unjustified than a war on behalf on an ally would be. I think that people are becoming more non interventionist overall.

I think we're friggin broke and spread very thin - and the last thing we need to do is waste our money and our lives in an area we don't belong. Especially against a country that has nuclear weapons.

That said - I do sympathize with the South and greatly respect their nation - I was there a couple years ago and loved it.

tangent4ronpaul
11-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Fox had a special on 12 probably republican candidates earlier. As expected, u know who wasn't mentioned... :rolleyes:

The good news is that some of the opposition are using our platform positions. Huck's lead was that we needed to stop being the worlds policeman.

Sounds like we might get a partial win, even if we loose.

IT'S WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

-t

lester1/2jr
11-25-2010, 07:01 PM
absolutely 100% unqualified NO

Brett85
11-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Fox had a special on 12 probably republican candidates earlier. As expected, u know who wasn't mentioned... :rolleyes:

The good news is that some of the opposition are using our platform positions. Huck's lead was that we needed to stop being the worlds policeman.

Sounds like we might get a partial win, even if we loose.

IT'S WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

-t

Yep, I pointed that out in a separate thread, and people continued to attack Huckabee anyway. I think that we need to give credit to people when they start moving in the right direction.

jmdrake
11-25-2010, 07:11 PM
I think we're friggin broke and spread very thin - and the last thing we need to do is waste our money and our lives in an area we don't belong. Especially against a country that has nuclear weapons.

That said - I do sympathize with the South and greatly respect their nation - I was there a couple years ago and loved it.

So do I, but as you said we're broke. I haven't listened to neocon radio since the shelling, but I'm sure there all saying "this shows the weakness of Obama" and ignoring the fact that this shows the weakness of America at this point and the strength of China. Ultimately South Korea should become 100% responsible for their own defense. They have enough money. And we should get over our WW II anti Japanese prejudice and let them re-militarize too to balance off China. It's silly for Obama to send subs halfway around the world as a show of force against China when Japan could serve as a counterbalance if given half a chance.

BlackTerrel
11-25-2010, 08:05 PM
So do I, but as you said we're broke. I haven't listened to neocon radio since the shelling, but I'm sure there all saying "this shows the weakness of Obama" and ignoring the fact that this shows the weakness of America at this point and the strength of China. Ultimately South Korea should become 100% responsible for their own defense. They have enough money. And we should get over our WW II anti Japanese prejudice and let them re-militarize too to balance off China. It's silly for Obama to send subs halfway around the world as a show of force against China when Japan could serve as a counterbalance if given half a chance.

South Korea has many more people than North Korea, much richer and much more technologically advanced.

If we got out of their way they should be able to protect themselves.

NYgs23
11-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Of course, "military assistance" could mean a lot of things short of actually entering into a war with them.

Brett85
11-25-2010, 08:31 PM
South Korea has many more people than North Korea, much richer and much more technologically advanced.

If we got out of their way they should be able to protect themselves.

Exactly. All of these countries would be stronger and safer if they weren't so dependent on us. If conservatives want individuals to be less reliant on the government, then we should also want foreign countries to be less reliant on the United States.