PDA

View Full Version : US warns of likely harm from WikiLeaks release

charrob
11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
US warns of likely harm from WikiLeaks release:

By The Associated Press
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 -- 1:46 pm

Administration warns Congress pending WikiLeaks release will damage foreign relations

The Obama administration said Wednesday it has alerted Congress and begun notifying foreign governments that the WikiLeaks website is preparing to release sensitive U.S. diplomatic files that could damage U.S. relations with friends and allies across the globe.

"These revelations are harmful to the United States and our interests," State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said. "They are going to create tension in relationships between our diplomats and our friends around the world."

In anticipation of the posting of the leaked diplomatic cables by the self-styled whistle-blower website, U.S. diplomatic outposts around the world have begun notifying other governments that it may happen within days, Crowley told reporters.

The release is expected this weekend, although WikiLeaks has not been specific about the timing.

Crowley said the State Department "has known all along" that WikiLeaks possesses classified State Department documents. He said it was not possible, however, to predict with precision the impact of their release because the State Department does not know which files will be released.

"We wish this would not happen, but we are obviously prepared for the possibility that it will," he added.

In two previous releases of leaked secret U.S. government documents, in July and October, WikiLeaks provided them in advance to the New York Times, the Guardian newspaper in London and the German magazine Der Spiegel on condition that they publish their stories simultaneously.

The first leak contained thousands of military field reports on the war in Afghanistan; the second was a similar but larger file on the Iraq war.

No one has been charged with providing the documents to WikiLeaks, but a person of interest in the Pentagon's investigation is Army Pfc. Bradley Manning, who was an intelligence analyst in Iraq when he was arrested by U.S. authorities in early June and jailed in Kuwait. On July 29 he was transferred to a brig at Quantico Marine Corps Base in Virginia.

Diplomatic cables are internal documents that would include a range of secret communications between U.S. diplomatic outposts and State Department headquarters in Washington.

The revelations they contain are likely to range from the mundane, in the case of routine reporting on meetings between U.S. and foreign government officials, to the explosive, in the case of candid assessments of foreign officials or the exposure of pressure tactics used by U.S. diplomats.

One concern, for example, is that the documents may reveal the kinds of pressure the Obama administration has put on various countries to accept the transfer of Guantanamo Bay detainees who have been cleared for release but are unwelcome in their home countries.

State Department officials said privately there was concern, too, that details about certain sensitive programs could be exposed. These might include details about surveillance at U.S. diplomatic compounds abroad.

A Pentagon spokesman, Marine Col. David Lapan, said the Pentagon also has notified congressional committees of an expected WikiLeaks release. He said the files are believed to be State Department documents, but they could contain information about military tactics or reveal the identities of sources.

A statement on WikiLeaks Twitter site Wednesday said "the Pentagon is hyperventilating again over fears of being held to account."

The group bills itself as a website devoted to reforming governments worldwide by exposing their secrets, and its motto on its Twitter site is "We open governments."

Another recent posting said: "The coming months will see a new world, where global history is redefined."___

Associated Press writers Lolita C. Baldor and Matthew Lee contributed to this report.

Source: AP News

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/warns-harm-wikileaks-release/

oyarde
11-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Which foeign govt.'s ?

Bruno
11-24-2010, 05:04 PM
This will create more tension than killing thousands of civilians in multiple countries? wow.

oyarde
11-24-2010, 05:04 PM
I can understand any military wanting to protect sources . People being cleared for release from Gitmo , but home countries not accepting them , would not suprise too many , I think .

pcosmar
11-24-2010, 07:56 PM
US warns of likely harm from WikiLeaks release

This tells me once again that they Know what is about to be released.
1. So they have been contacted.
2. It will piss off "friends".
3. It is knowledge that they have had for some time and not been honest about.

Seems to me this is more extremely bad foreign policy. Further proof of dishonesty in our government. Failed Diplomacy.

But they will blame the messenger and not their own actions.
:mad:

oyarde
11-24-2010, 07:58 PM
This tells me once again that they Know what is about to be released.
1. So they have been contacted.
2. It will piss off "friends".
3. It is knowledge that they have had for some time and not been honest about.

Seems to me this is more extremely bad foreign policy. Further proof of dishonesty in our government. Failed Diplomacy.

But they will blame the messenger and not their own actions.
:mad:

Most likely , because if they wanted to stop it , I think they could . Makes sense .

pcosmar
11-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Most likely , because if they wanted to stop it , I think they could . Makes sense .

I disagree, They are trying to silence it. And the propaganda machine is in full swing to minimize the damage.

I don't give our government or the CIA that much credit. They are pretty damn stupid most of the time.
;)

oyarde
11-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I disagree, They are trying to silence it. And the propaganda machine is in full swing to minimize the damage.

I don't give our government or the CIA that much credit. They are pretty damn stupid most of the time.
;)

One thing for sure . The propaganda machine is in full swing .

awake
11-24-2010, 09:02 PM
U.S. to Ottawa: WikiLeaks release may hurt relations (http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20101124/wikileaks-canada-101124/)

Sunshine... scatter!

oyarde
11-24-2010, 09:09 PM
U.S. to Ottawa: WikiLeaks release may hurt relations (http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20101124/wikileaks-canada-101124/)

Sunshine... scatter!

If this is just diplomats trying to put pressure on for gitmo detainees , I do not think it amounts to anything . Replace your diplomats .

pcosmar
11-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Replace your diplomats .

:confused:
How about . Obey he Law. Tell The Truth.

Not likely though.
:(

oyarde
11-24-2010, 09:21 PM

Not likely though.

Those sound good . I do not know if there would be any laws broken in trying to get countries to take citizens back that belong to them ?

oyarde
11-24-2010, 09:22 PM

Not likely though.

Then on the other hand you have the CIA that has never followed any remote rule of law . Abolish that .