PDA

View Full Version : Poll finds 61% oppose new airport security measures

Bruno
11-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Suck it, CBS!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2010/11/new-poll-says-61-oppose-new-airport-security-measures.html

On the eve of one of the nation's busiest travel days, a poll has found that 61% of likely voters oppose the newly enhanced security measures at the country's airports.

The poll by Zogby International of 2,032 likely voters also found that 48% said they would probably seek alternatives to flying because of the new measures.

Airport security has become a topic of heated debate, particularly since Nov. 1, when the Transportation Security Administration implemented a more aggressive pat-down search technique at security checkpoints.

Since an attempted bombing on Dec. 25, 2009, the TSA has expanded the use of full-body image scanners that use low levels of radiation to create what looks like a nude image of the screened passenger to detect hidden weapons or contraband.

A TSA official said the agency was adding about 60 scanners a month at the nation's airports, with a goal of installing 500 machines by the end of 2010.

TSA officials said the scanners and the new pat-down technique were used on only a small percentage of passengers. Most travelers will be screened using traditional metal detectors and X-ray machines.

But privacy rights groups, including the ACLU, have objected to the new measures, comparing the pat-down procedures to a "groping."

The Zogby poll, taken online Nov. 19-22, seems to indicate a change in public opinion over the last few weeks. A CBS News telephone poll taken Nov. 7-10 found that 81% of Americans questioned said they approved of the use of the full-body scanners at airports. The CBS poll did not ask about the new pat-down search techniques.

Of those polled by Zogby, 52% said the enhanced security measures would not prevent terrorist activities and nearly half (48%) said the measures violated passenger privacy rights. Another 32% said they considered the full-body scans and pat-down search procedures to be sexual harassment.

"It's clear the majority of Americans are not happy with TSA and the enhanced security measures recently enacted," pollster John Zogby said in a statement.

-- Hugo Martin

Krugerrand
11-24-2010, 11:04 AM
It's really sad that it's not much higher.

nate895
11-24-2010, 11:07 AM
It's Zogby, so it's probably +/- 15%, no matter what the official margin of error is. Zogby is that bad at polling in recent years.

tangent4ronpaul
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
48% is probably enough to to bankrupt a few airlines...

-t

nate895
11-24-2010, 11:11 AM

-t

And then we can get Amair.

jrskblx125
11-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Lol. + - 15 % is pretty horrible. Even still. Proving half the population is against the actions is enough to actually take action over

NYgs23
11-24-2010, 11:19 AM
First, there was a poll showing 80% for it. Then a poll showed two-thirds for the scanners and half were for the gropes. Now 60% are against it in this poll. I suspect the more people actually learn about it, the more they're against it.

jmdrake
11-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Sad, but not surprising. It roughly tracks the number of people who still trust Obama. And if Bush was still in power and was doing this, 39% would match the number of hardcore republicans that would go along with anything he did also.

jmdrake
11-24-2010, 11:23 AM
First, there was a poll showing 80% for it. Then a poll showed two-thirds for the scanners and half were for the gropes. Now 60% are against it in this poll. I suspect the more people actually learn about it, the more they're against it.

Interesting. I'd love to see this as a tracking poll. Something else to consider. As we got closer to the holidays more and more people either had to go through this idiocy or had to face going through it. It's really easy for the sheeple of society to bleat "You don't have to fly if you don't like the screwturity measures" when that's just some abstract possibility off in the distance.

UtahApocalypse
11-24-2010, 11:23 AM

-t

watched a show the other night on CNBC "week in the life of American Airlines." The show was about 3 years old but had a few items of interest. The airline literally can be made or broke on many flight over ONE seat. 5% could cripple most of these airlines.

libertyjam
11-24-2010, 11:29 AM

I expect CBS runs a poll, throws out 50-90% of the responses they don't like, then touts the results. Eventually they don't have to throw out so many responses because the only people that watch their sorry slanted reporting are brain dead, statist loving soccer moms.
Case in point, last night the story I posted from CBS has exactly 1 comment posted total, that in favor of the TSA, when I know for a fact more comments have been sent. That shows they are screening comments and only those they approve of are posted, it is not a far step from there to screening polls as well.

GunnyFreedom
11-24-2010, 11:32 AM

all branches of the M$M propaganda department, to include the false-paradigm left and the false-paradigm right and the false-paradigm moderate, have gone into overdrive to dispell any opposition to TSA as "crazy" and "extremism," which will have an effect on some respondents to accept the measures. On the other hand, I am also now encountering old-skool conservatives nursing a growing distrust of FoxNoise behind their selling of the nuke-or-grope as a good thing. So from the glass is half full perspective, I am pleased to see Fox-worshipers becoming disillusioned.

ChaosControl
11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
The number who "oppose" it is irrelevant, unless those people do something about it.

Pathetic brainwashed morons who allow the government's use of fear to control them.

Anti Federalist
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
///