PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: The Economy Is Set To Starve

sevin
11-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Just imagine runaway inflation and a shortage of energy both driving up prices at the same time. We've been experiencing the beginning of the end for a couple years now. I think that part is almost over.

Part I: It's the End of the Oil As We Know It...

Once a year, the International Energy Agency (IEA) releases its World Energy Outlook (WEO), and it's our tradition here at ChrisMartenson.com to review it. A lot of articles have already been written on the WEO 2010 report, and I don't wish to tread an already well-worn path, but the subject is just too important to leave relegate to a single week of attention.

Because some people will only read the first two paragraphs, let me get a couple of conclusions out right up front. You need to pay close attention to Peak Oil, and you need to begin adjusting, because it has already happened. The first conclusion is mine; the second belongs to the IEA.

Okay, it's not quite as simple as that; there are a few complexities involved that require us to dig a bit deeper and to be sure our terms and definitions are clear so that we are talking about the same things.

But if we can simply distinguish between two types of "oil" (you'll see why that term is in quotes in a second), the story becomes much easier to follow.

* "Conventional oil" is the cheap and easy stuff. A well is drilled, pipe is inserted and oil comes up out of the ground that can be shipped directly to a refinery. Whether the oil is "sour" or "sweet" doesn't matter; it's still conventional oil.
* "Unconventional oil" refers to things like tar sands, ultra-deep-water oil, coal-to-liquids, oil shale, and natural gas liquids. In other words, oil that is much more difficult and expensive to produce.

The IEA has been producing annual reviews of the world energy situation for a long time and has not mentioned the term "Peak Oil" (as far as I know) until this year's report. And not only did they mention it, they said that as far as conventional oil goes, it's in the rear view mirror:

"Crude oil output reaches an undulating plateau of around 68-69 mb/d by 2020, but never regains its all-time peak of 70 mb/d reached in 2006, while production of natural gas liquids (NGL) and unconventional oil grows quickly." - WEO 2010 Executive Summary

I might quibble that the all-time peak remains 2005 in the US Energy Information Agency data set, but the main point here is that the IEA has not only used the words "Peak Oil" (finally!) but they've done so in the past tense, at least with regard to conventional oil.

The IEA now sees all forms of oil, conventional and unconventional, hitting a high of 99 million barrels per day (mbd) by 2035 (including 3 mbd of 'refinery gains'). Of course, we may wish to take even this tepid estimate of growth in oil supplies with a grain of salt, because in every annual report, like clockwork, the IEA has been ratcheting down its estimate of how much oil we'll have in the future:

http://www.chrismartenson.com/files/u132/WEO_Oil_Estimates_Trends.jpg

more at link: http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/economy-set-starve/48474

Rancher
11-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Industrial Hemp now.

Seraphim
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
I wonder when this will mean 115$ pack of chicken.

My guess? 2013.

Travlyr
11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
The same people who brought laws against the hemp industry are now fear-mongering about running out of oil. I've heard this for 40 years. The date peak oil hits is illusive. Now they say it is behind us. Big deal?

It is only a big deal as long as they keep the hemp industry illegal. Hemp competes directly with oil. If we do run out of petroleum, hemp can sustain the world as it is a much superior product. It's time to bang some political heads. The ruling class is out-of-control.