PDA

View Full Version : Running for President in Mock Election - Need Help

0zzy
10-20-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm running for president in a mock election in my US Government class. We have a debate on Monday and a press conference on Tuesday.

Debate works like this:

Green Party, Democratic Party, Libertarian Party, Republican Party.
I am the Republican President.

Each has a minute opening speech.
Then questions are asked, one minute to respond.
Each of the other candidates have 30 seconds to respond.
Then the next person gets one minute for their next question.

I need help.
I'm going to sound more Libertarian in the eyes of my teacher than Republican.
I need to make the opening speech good.

Tell them

"Republicans are anti-war and small government, I'm bringing that back. You can't attack me on the war, I never supported the war. I represent the party of Robert Taft who opposed getting into the world organizations and world wars, I'm representing the party of Barry Goldwater who were believed in financial and personal responsibility, I am the party of Dwight Eisenhower who got us out of the Korean war, of Nixon who was voted in to get us out of Vietnam. I am the party of Ronald Reagan who warned us about the irrationality of middle eastern politics.

In 2000 my party ran on a no-nation building, no policing-the world foreign policy, obviously we have shifted from that notion. But I am here to tell you today that I am bringing back the true peace candidate, the true Republican candidate. Need I remind you that it was Woodrow Wilson, a democratic president, told us we must save the world for democracy. Every single democratic president afterwards has gotten us into foreign entanglements since then, even Clinton.

And people might call me a libertarian, and I would say "thanks". I believe in liberty. But what me and the libertarian candidate do not have in common is the right to life issue and border security issue, among other things."

or something.

idono.

and any good statistics that could help me?

0zzy
10-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Anyone? :X

foofighter20x
10-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Sounds good to me.

You can undercut the Greens by talking about how a healthy respect for property rights would cut down on pollution since people would be able to sue the big polluters.

Once they face those kind of cost, the polluter is faced with the choice of either polluting less or losing money to those whose property is affected by their pollution.

Edit: Also, you can distinguish yourself from the Libs by stating that Libs traditionally want NO government, while you only want small, constitutional, republican (small R) government: the type of government the Constitution says it guarantees, if only we'd adhere to it.