PDA

View Full Version : Academia

eugenekop
11-24-2010, 05:38 AM
On one hand what would have we done without research centers as such Misis institute or Chicago economics school. On the other hand, taxing people to subsidize academia researches does not seem to be something the government should be doing.

What do you think?

BamaAla
11-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Academia is a wonderful thing, but it should never be subsidized by the tax payer.

eugenekop
11-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Why not?

BamaAla
11-24-2010, 05:48 AM
A plethora of reasons. Not the least of which is why should I pay for you to go to college or vice versa?

low preference guy
11-24-2010, 05:50 AM
The Mises institute is not subsidized

eugenekop
11-24-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm only asking about research, not about academic studies. I am just not entirely convinced that the regular folk will wish to donate to researches. There are few who care about researching, yet researching is a tiresome job that requires full wages and a lot of resources.

amy31416
11-24-2010, 06:15 AM
I'm only asking about research, not about academic studies. I am just not entirely convinced that the regular folk will wish to donate to researches. There are few who care about researching, yet researching is a tiresome job that requires full wages and a lot of resources.

We just had a thread that touched on this. Watch the last five minutes of this video:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7076435n

Also, just as corporatism directs which companies will succeed and fail artificially, so do gov't grants direct research artificially--especially toward favored big pharma companies who've lobbied the crap out of the gov't.

I've written grant proposals before and it's just "high-class" begging. Perhaps there are some legit reasons for gov't to get involved in a few scientific research projects, but those should be few and far between.