PDA

View Full Version : Obama: U.S. Would Defend South Korea

Magicman
11-24-2010, 04:19 AM
http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/obama-pledges-us-would-defend-south-korea/19731500

HOLLYWOOD
11-24-2010, 04:23 AM
Even if Russia and/or China stepped in to then back N. Korea?

Barack Obama, spoken like a true Nobel Peace Prize recipient :rolleyes:

cindy25
11-24-2010, 05:43 AM
with what army?
with whose money?

Hu could order the USA out of it, and that would be it

Andromeda
11-24-2010, 06:17 AM
When will countries learn that making alliances is actually a very bad idea? All they have to do is open up a European History Book and read virtually any chapter and they'll clearly see why it's a faulty course of action. Stacking treaty upon treaty and making a whole mess of alliances only hurts countries in the long run. It's been one of the primary causes of wars for the past 1000+ years. There are countless examples to high light why getting involved with other countries' politics and military affairs is a really bad idea. Why don't the people running the country ever remember these examples?

It's time to cut this crap out.

I have a bad feeling this is going to turn into a "don't change horses in the middle of the river" campaign for Obama and give the government more "reasons" to beef security at the airports, beef the military, and keep troops in countries in which we should not be. It's pathetic.

Slutter McGee
11-24-2010, 08:45 AM
I would obviously not want to get involved. North Korea is insane. While I would absolutely be against any sort of war, I would feel better about it than Iraq or Afghanistan now. War in defense of an ally is much better than a war of for the sole purpose of aggression.

Slutter McGee

nandnor
11-24-2010, 08:56 AM
nvm

Elwar
11-24-2010, 09:06 AM
We need to protect our boys down there. We sent our boys there, now we cant just back off, we gotta protect them even when trouble comes.

We can always...bring the boys back home.

YouTube - Pink Floyd - Vera & Bring the boys back home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpeZZFFMT0)

cindy25
11-24-2010, 09:19 AM
it could cause problems with his base, leave an opening for Kucinich. and I would prefer Kucinich over Obama or Romney

cindy25
11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I would obviously not want to get involved. North Korea is insane. While I would absolutely be against any sort of war, I would feel better about it than Iraq or Afghanistan now. War in defense of an ally is much better than a war of for the sole purpose of aggression.

Slutter McGee

North Korea is too closely allied with China.

austin944
11-24-2010, 09:23 AM
When will countries learn that making alliances is actually a very bad idea? All they have to do is open up a European History Book and read virtually any chapter and they'll clearly see why it's a faulty course of action.

The French gave us aid during the Revolutionary War.

Brett85
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Situations like this simply prove why it's a bad idea to have troops all over the world and to be in involved in endless war. Where would we get the troops from if we did go to war against North Korea? We have over 100,000 troops in Afghanistan, over 50,000 in Iraq, over 50,000 in Germany, etc. Our politicians will never learn that having our troops spread out so thin around the world strains our military and makes it harder for us to respond to conflicts that arise.

Pericles
11-24-2010, 10:06 AM
The French gave us aid during the Revolutionary War.

Lucky for us that the French were not a bunch of libertarians, eh?

ExPatPaki
11-24-2010, 10:11 AM
defense of an ally is much better than a war of for the sole purpose of aggression.

They're really not that great of an ally. They keep figuring out ways to do business with Iran despite sanctions.

tangent4ronpaul
11-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Translation: The US is about to be thrown into a THIRD MOTHERFUCKING MANUFACTURED WAR to benefit the mil industrial complex and a globalist agenda - not to mention the furthering of the police state, as that seems to have hit a road bump.... :mad:

-t

Kregisen
11-24-2010, 10:45 AM
The only way I would ever possibly support action to defend S. Korea is if we first take out every troop from Afghanistan AND Iraq. Plus I still want most of our other troops home.

By the way, don't we already have like 50,000 troops stationed in S. Korea?

Sentient Void
11-24-2010, 10:50 AM
South Korea can defend itself from North Korea.

For chrissakes - North Korea is a fucking third world country. South Korea has a GDP that is 3000% that of North Korea, and the value of North Korea's ENTIRE GDP is what South Korea spends alone on it's military.

S. Korea also has over 21 million men and women considered fit for military service, whereas N. Korea has over 8 million men and women. That's a 250% manpower differential in favor of S. Korea.

North Korea is a joke, and not to be feared. S. Korea can defend itself.

Source? CIA World Factbook.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ks.html
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/kn.html

SamuraisWisdom
11-24-2010, 11:26 AM
South Korea can defend itself from North Korea.

For chrissakes - North Korea is a fucking third world country. South Korea has a GDP that is 3000% that of North Korea, and the value of North Korea's ENTIRE GDP is what South Korea spends alone on it's military.

S. Korea also has over 21 million men and women considered fit for military service, whereas N. Korea has over 8 million men and women. That's a 250% manpower differential in favor of S. Korea.

North Korea is a joke, and not to be feared. S. Korea can defend itself.

Source? CIA World Factbook.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ks.html
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/kn.html

Yeah except how many of those 21 million people are actually prepared for conflict? The North Koreans have a million man army at the moment with enough artillery aimed at Seoul to turn it into a dust cloud very quickly. Let's also not forget the fact that the North has nuclear weapons and would more than likely be crazy enough to use them.

Fact is, if the North decided to invade and we decided not to help the South, the Korean pennincula would most likely end up under Kim Jong Il's control.

That said, we really should take our 30,000 troops off the dmz because they're just a speed bump on the way to Seoul for the North. They'd be better off at one of the bases farther south where they could make a difference later on rather than get run over by artillery and a million Northern soldiers.

jmdrake
11-24-2010, 11:45 AM

eh? Are you Canadian, eh?

Anyway, do you think we should have gone to the aid of the French in their war with the British? The fact is that we didn't. And WW I wasn't done to aid the French either. It was done to aid the British (our former masters). The British and French went to war with the Germany and the Austria-Hungarian empire in defense of terrorism by way of Serbia. Yeah, that made a lot of sense.

jmdrake
11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Here's a question. The Korean war ended over 50 years ago. North Korea is a basket case economically. Why is South Korea still unable to defend itself? And don't give me the "The North would play the China card" argument. China is as much dependent on us (right now) to buy their junk as we are dependent on them to buy our debt. I'm sure if the North did a full scale invasion we could come to a "We'll say out of it if you'll stay out of it" understanding with China.

Sentient Void
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah except how many of those 21 million people are actually prepared for conflict? The North Koreans have a million man army at the moment with enough artillery aimed at Seoul to turn it into a dust cloud very quickly. Let's also not forget the fact that the North has nuclear weapons and would more than likely be crazy enough to use them.

Fact is, if the North decided to invade and we decided not to help the South, the Korean pennincula would most likely end up under Kim Jong Il's control.

That said, we really should take our 30,000 troops off the dmz because they're just a speed bump on the way to Seoul for the North. They'd be better off at one of the bases farther south where they could make a difference later on rather than get run over by artillery and a million Northern soldiers.

Yeah, and North Korea also uses very old weapons technology, especially compared to South Korea.

And do you honestly believe that South Korea doesn't already have or at least can quickly and easily build Nuclear Weapons?

We should stay out of it. South Korea can defend themselves fine. North Korea can barely even feed itself due to widespread famine, let alone conduct an effective full-scale military campaign.

ChaosControl
11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I feel sorry for the people in NK who are completely brainwashed into absolute adoration of "The Great Leader".

I swear, NK is essentially a mirror image of 1984. Look out or its what we'll become. NK likes to use fear to manipulate the populace too. Even remotely question their methods and your entire extended family gets sent to a concentration camp.

It is a shame the two nations cannot peaceful reunify. There'd be chaos though. If say we went to war and crushed their government, all with excessively high casualties, potentially catastrophic of which we haven't seen in generations with the threat of nukes, we'd still have a large brainwashed populace to deal with. Not exactly easily manageable.

Heimdallr
11-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Honestly, if there's any form of justifiable intervention, it's in North Korea. That place is hell on earth, and even American corporate imperialism is better than fucking Kim Jong-il.

oyarde
11-24-2010, 04:21 PM
The only way I would ever possibly support action to defend S. Korea is if we first take out every troop from Afghanistan AND Iraq. Plus I still want most of our other troops home.

By the way, don't we already have like 50,000 troops stationed in S. Korea?

Probably about 30,000 .

oyarde
11-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, and North Korea also uses very old weapons technology, especially compared to South Korea.

And do you honestly believe that South Korea doesn't already have or at least can quickly and easily build Nuclear Weapons?

We should stay out of it. South Korea can defend themselves fine. North Korea can barely even feed itself due to widespread famine, let alone conduct an effective full-scale military campaign.

North Korea cannot feed itself. Continue to starve the beast .

speciallyblend
11-24-2010, 04:45 PM
I feel sorry for the people in NK who are completely brainwashed into absolute adoration of "The Great Leader".

I swear, NK is essentially a mirror image of 1984. Look out or its what we'll become. NK likes to use fear to manipulate the populace too. Even remotely question their methods and your entire extended family gets sent to a concentration camp.

It is a shame the two nations cannot peaceful reunify. There'd be chaos though. If say we went to war and crushed their government, all with excessively high casualties, potentially catastrophic of which we haven't seen in generations with the threat of nukes, we'd still have a large brainwashed populace to deal with. Not exactly easily manageable.

I totally agree with you! We will never attack NK unless we are preping for war with china! China is the main reason we cannot bully NK! NK to China is nothing more then a speed bump(buffer country) for our troops!! NK is kinda like the american homeland security for china or a crazy dog chained to keep us away!

speciallyblend
11-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Probably about 30,000 .

yeah, they are there visiting, they do not occupy;)

speciallyblend
11-24-2010, 04:56 PM
North Korea cannot feed itself. Continue to starve the beast .

hmmmm i think this plan would actually backfire! It will have the opposite effect! Starve a Person and they are left with nothing to lose but to attack!!

Us Gov is stealing my money on a daily basis! sooner or later i will say f it!

speciallyblend
11-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Sentient Void
11-24-2010, 06:41 PM
hmmmm i think this plan would actually backfire! It will have the opposite effect! Starve a Person and they are left with nothing to lose but to attack!!

Starve a beast and it *can't* attack. It'll be much too weak. And if it does - you can laugh at it's feeble attempt as you easily crush it in self-defense.

oyarde
11-24-2010, 06:57 PM

The only real way to heal Korea would be for it all to become one and free . In order for that to happen , the North Korean regime will have to collapse . Starving it is the only way . The citizens starve now . Next , starve that 1.1 million Army . China does not want the refugees . They are the only country with any influence .

oyarde
11-24-2010, 06:58 PM

I hate the theft as well .

james1906
11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Would the United States take the side of North Korea so Hyundai gets shut down, removing a more efficient competitor to Government Motors?

Kludge
11-24-2010, 07:01 PM

No kidding. The French were merely fighting a proxy war against Britain. Even if the French hadn't intervened in the American Revolution, the British would've been much more able to cope with an American revolution if there were no French-Indian war. Of course, the burden of the French-Indian war also led to a liberal uprising in France which became known as the French Revolution, which was also a major win for libertarianism.

So... sometimes my passion is torn on the war issue. On one hand, continuing financial burdens of continued global intervention combined with citizen unhappiness at having to deal with a military state will topple the US Government. On the other hand, I don't want innocents killed by war. On the other hand, war kills off a lot of assholes and old ideas. On the other hand, war has a tendency to strengthen government's noose around the people.... but it generally takes too much effort for the government to hang its entire citizenry. ... ... But on the other hand, it will give more combat experience to the government's military, which I wouldn't doubt will be used against "secessionists."

So.... war is bad, except when it isn't.

cindy25
11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
the Kaiser made a similar stupid statement in Aug 1914, to back his ally Austro-Hungary. the old fools in Vienna used that to reject Serbia's offer, which was 99% of what Vienna wanted.

BlackTerrel
11-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Even if Russia and/or China stepped in to then back N. Korea?

Except that wouldn't happen.

sofia
11-24-2010, 10:07 PM
the Kaiser made a similar stupid statement in Aug 1914, to back his ally Austro-Hungary. the old fools in Vienna used that to reject Serbia's offer, which was 99% of what Vienna wanted.

there was no stopping ww1....the zio-globalists wanted it so they could redraw the map of europe and overthrow the great empires...putting communism or..."democracies" in their place

sofia
11-24-2010, 10:10 PM
no fan of NK here.....but this is SOLELY the provokation of US/SK/Israel at play here....

Israel hates NK cuz they sell stuff to Arabs...thats how NK got included in the "Axis of Evil"

USA (a puppet of the Zionists) also needs a war to divert attention from our crumbling economy and Obama's freefall.

and SK is a puppet of US

cindy25
11-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Obama wants a war, just as FDR did-but I am surprised with SK; Seoul would be destroyed; their economy would be set back so far it would take generations to recover. Israel loses also; if there is war in Korea then Iran can do as it pleases

PreDeadMan
11-24-2010, 10:54 PM
we can always...bring the boys back home.

youtube - pink floyd - vera & bring the boys back home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospezzffmt0)

here here!!! Good call! :)