PDA

View Full Version : How can we best reach the Millions of people, who are offline?

LibertyEagle
10-20-2007, 10:30 PM
1. Signs and billboards create awareness.
2. Slim Jims and other campaign literature handed out personally, door-to-door and at functions, such as gun shows, etc. provide more indepth knowledge of his stances.
3. Letter-writing
4. Letters to the Editor
5. Phone banks
6. Newspaper ads, Radio ads and TV commercials

Anyone have any other ideas? We're missing all the MILLIONS of people who are offline. How can we best reach them in a timely fashion and with a limited amount of money? I'm talking about us here. The grassroots.

Ideas?

ronpaulyourmom
10-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Take the initiative to host Thanksgiving this year and make sure you have plenty of Ron Paul materials around the house, it should be a good conversation starter.

With regards to the slimjim and other grassroots stuff, I really think we should be focusing our efforts on the right crowd. We need to be hitting up people in their 20's and 30's, rockers, bar hoppers, and other anti-establishment types. That is where Ron Paul's message truly resonates, and it seems that while the official campaign is working on swaying the establishment voters, we should be trying to grow the donation base from among the disenfranchised. This group of voters has been largely inactive for a long time, but I have faith in people and faith that they will show up on voting day if they find out about Ron. It's much harder to win over an establishment voter with a slimjim than a disenfranchised one. Leave that job to the campaign and the debates.

LibertyEagle
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Shouldn't some of us be trying to make inroads into our own state GOPs? The campaign can't do that for us. If it's going to happen, it's going to have to be us that does it.

kill the banks
10-20-2007, 11:03 PM
most people are off line , don't read the papers , watch the simpsons and survival , never hear a debate or watch the news [ much ] ... maybe a process of elimination if you just wish to hit your target group ...

they do drink coffee , eat donuts , dinner is fast food , shop at malls and believe there is nothing they can do to change anything ... hand out flyers at those places ! be NEAT & POLITE !

organize something like truckers for constitution / ron paul could blossom to signs on trucks everywhere ... also a simple sign on a bus is a moving message to large target area and cheap [ say in new hampshire right now ] ...

and keep believing and talking ... only ron paul can beat hillary

kill the banks

M.Bellmore
10-20-2007, 11:06 PM
1. Signs and billboards create awareness.
2. Slim Jims and other campaign literature handed out personally, door-to-door and at functions, such as gun shows, etc. provide more indepth knowledge of his stances.
3. Letter-writing
4. Letters to the Editor
5. Phone banks
6. Newspaper ads, Radio ads and TV commercials

Anyone have any other ideas? We're missing all the MILLIONS of people who are offline. How can we best reach them in a timely fashion and with a limited amount of money? I'm talking about us here. The grassroots.

Ideas?

7. Get a bunch of RP supporters and march in a Thanksgiving day parade.

Problem with #6 is that we really need to target the early states and tailor each ad to that state. For example, in MI ads would need to focus on taxes (we just had the dems give us the largest tax increase in history), 2nd amendment (we have a holiday for the 1st day of deer season), economy (our is really bad), and protection of the Great Lakes (not sure how to get this one in). Also some anti-Romney stuff (he is leading in MI).

ronpaulyourmom
10-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Lets start donating for some people to buy a round of drinks on Ron Paul :P

M.Bellmore
10-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Lets start donating for some people to buy a round of drinks on Ron Paul :P

Hey that's not bad, especially during deer season in Northern MI. Tons of hunters are at the bars. "This round of drinks is sponsored by Ron Paul, the favorite repub candidate of hunters and the gun owners of america." Of course most would not remember the next day, which may pose a problem. :D

Suzu
10-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Over 50% of American households were online as of eight years ago. I would think the numbers are quite a bit higher now.

justinc.1089
10-20-2007, 11:41 PM
On the grassroots level, which is what most of us are working with, the best things to do are to go to big events in your area, put out tons of signs everywhere, and if the campaign is doing phone and mailing campaigning and needs volunteers then go volunteer as much as possible.

My meetup group went to a town's festival today and we handed out 1500 slimjims for Ron Paul to everyone. The only other candidates with a presence there were Thompson and Clinton, and the Clinton people were wasting their time in this town lol. But Thompson was pretty popular sadly. However, we were more effective than both of them combined. They even left way before we did. They both had better locations than us but we had a better setup and more motivation so we handed out like literally 10 times the amount of promotional material that they did probably.

Things like that are very effective about getting Ron Paul's name recognized. And that is something he desperately needs. A lot of people were coming up today and asking who Ron Paul is, however I think the majority of those people were not keeping up with politics very well anyway.

Signs are good too. Put signs in places where they won't be taken up, and where lots of people will see them.

Volunteering for the campaign is also important. I know in SC here the campaign is doing stuff with phone calls and mail, and that its critically important to Paul winning here, so I'm going to volunteer all that I can because that part of the campaign here is the win or lose part ultimately. If its done well Paul has a shot, but if its not done well then Paul will probably lose. So I'm volunteering to help, and everyone else should find out what the campaign needs people to do in your state as well and do your part. If its just the typical grassroots stuff then you can devote more time to that.

So in my opinion those are the 3 things we need to do as grassroots people:

1. Have a strong, motivated presence at every single festival, event, sports game, concert, etc., that will let you be there and that will have an audience of possible voters. In other words don't bother focusing on a boyband concert if there is a jamboree festival going on in some town the same day because there will be 100 times the number of voters at the jamboree festival lol.

2. Put out signs strategically. Cover intersections of big roads of areas, and try to cover all the areas so that if I live in one area, I will see a Paul sign at some point. And if someone else lives in another area they will see one too. Try not to put them where people will get rid of them though.

3. Do whatever the campaign is begging people to do in your state. If thats only grassroots activities like 1 and 2, well then you can concentrate on that even better.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, be careful who you give bumper stickers to also. Someone I know that I went to highschool with saw me today, and asked for a few bumper stickers, and well didn't put them to good use to put it lightly. I won't say what he did out of being embarrassed for giving the stickers to him, but it wasn't good, but at least it was only 2 stickers so it didn't do that much damage.

davidhperry
10-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Slim Jims and other campaign literature handed out personally, door-to-door and at functions, such as gun shows, etc. provide more indepth knowledge of his stances.

I've heard from several elected officials and campaign advisors that meeting with people personally is the best way to grow support. When you think about it, it definitely makes sense. i know it's been the most effective method for me thus far.

justinc.1089
10-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Yes, thats the most sure way to gain a vote, but you also need to be getting his name out there, and the only way to do that is to hand out stuff about him to mass numbers of people as well. So just talk to people about him whenever, and when you plan to set aside time to campaign hand out stuff at big events as quickly as possible.

I was thinking about something earlier today after we left that festival, and we averaged handing out a slimjim every 1-4 minutes today. And we still only handed out 1500.

So if we average 1500 every big event, that might mean we would only get Paul's name out to about 6000-8000 people a month at best probably. And even that is not enough.

So its absolutely critical to hand out things like slimjims fast in mass numbers to people.

Paul4Prez
10-21-2007, 12:03 AM
For fast literature distribution, hit up all the apartment complexes in your neighborhood. Leave slim jims or flyers on people's doors. Knocking and talking is great, but takes a lot of time. Go early, go often, and BLANKET them.

justinc.1089
10-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Good idea. Apartments would be a place where you can put out material quickly for lots of people, and it would be easy to.

Good thinking.

Parking lots are another option as well, but kind of get an idea if its ok or not because you don't want the place being upset by your fliers.

M.Bellmore
10-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I just sent off an email to the Oprah show suggesting that they have Obama (her favorite) and Ron Paul on to discuss economic issues. I figure just having RP on probably wouldn't float her boat, but perhaps a discussion involving Obama would.

justinc.1089
10-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Thats a good idea. Emailing tv shows may or may not help, I really have no idea if tv listens to email suggestions for guests or not, but I guess if they get a lot of them they will listen. And this has worked with some shows already I think.

kill the banks
10-21-2007, 12:44 AM
I just sent off an email to the Oprah show suggesting that they have Obama (her favorite) and Ron Paul on to discuss economic issues. I figure just having RP on probably wouldn't float her boat, but perhaps a discussion involving Obama would.

have to say i like the idea of presenting ron paul as a guest to talk shows ... just might get him air time he truly needs to get name recognition

kill the banks

jointhefightforfreedom
10-21-2007, 01:23 AM
SEE Thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27048

LibertyEagle
10-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Over 50% of American households were online as of eight years ago. I would think the numbers are quite a bit higher now.

Being "online" also means dial-up. There are a lot of people who, even if they have internet access, only use it to check email.

We are still ignoring a lot of people. I don't think we can afford to do that.

LibertyEagle
10-21-2007, 03:40 AM
Thats a good idea. Emailing tv shows may or may not help, I really have no idea if tv listens to email suggestions for guests or not, but I guess if they get a lot of them they will listen. And this has worked with some shows already I think.

Yes and Mrs. Paul, at the New York fundraiser, said it was working and asked us to please keep it up!

A Ron Paul Rebel
10-21-2007, 06:52 AM
What do you all think of this?
They get hundreds and thousands of looks every day!

http://www.savegasnow.org/images/ron-pauls-rebels/ron-pauls-rebels-pic-2.JPG

http://www.savegasnow.org/images/ron-pauls-rebels/ron-pauls-rebels-pic-4.jpg

A Ron Paul Rebel

wgadget
10-21-2007, 07:03 AM
And standing on busy city sidewalks in the middle of a weekday with Ron Paul signs (official and homemade) gets LOTS of attention. Especially in groups.

Name recognition is the name of the game...Why else is Rudy the "frontrunner?" Everybody knows he was "there" during 9/11. Barf.

alicegardener
10-21-2007, 07:21 AM
It is illegal to stuff slim jims in mailboxes but you can use duct tape and stick them on the outside of the boxes. This is good in rural areas where driveways are long and farmdogs aren't friendly.

quickmike
10-21-2007, 07:30 AM
It is illegal to stuff slim jims in mailboxes but you can use duct tape and stick them on the outside of the boxes. This is good in rural areas where driveways are long and farmdogs aren't friendly.

Roll them up and put them between the door knob and the side of the door frame, or on the handle if they have one of those, assuming the dogs arent there of course.

I knock on the door and if nobody is home, I leave a slim jim. If theyre home I talk to them if they show interest. If they really really seem interested, I give them a DVD and tell them to watch it and pass it on to their friends and family and make copies.

We gotta do somethign folks. Times a runnin short.

ClampIt
10-21-2007, 07:36 AM
How about a sticker reminder to vote in the primary with the date and give the polling place? This has useful, localized information. Include Ron Paul's logo as "A Public Service of Ron Paul".

These can then be distributed to residents with a slim jim.

Dave
10-21-2007, 08:11 AM

Ideas?

LibertyEagle
10-21-2007, 08:22 AM
What do you find ironic, Dave?

1. I've donated the maximum to the campaign.
2. I've donated over $1,000 to various grassroots efforts initiated on this board.
3. I was one of three individuals who worked on the radio ads for Iowa. I also contributed to the development of the newspaper ads for Iowa.
4. I have handed out hundreds of flyers to people I have come into contact with.

What the hell have YOU done, Dave? Eh?

Dave
10-21-2007, 09:05 AM
I'll PM you.

LibertyEagle
10-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Thank you, Dave, for diverting this thread off topic. :(

Dave
10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Thank you, Dave, for diverting this thread off topic. :(

I'm sorry. It was dumb - I shouldn't have done it.

M.Bellmore
10-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Yes and Mrs. Paul, at the New York fundraiser, said it was working and asked us to please keep it up!

Well then, some of you spam the Oprah show asking for Ron Paul to be on :D
I still think couching it with her favorite candidate though may be an interesting slant. If you eliminate the Iraq war debate, then it becomes a very interesting debate on econonic and social issues.

Matt Collins
10-21-2007, 10:37 AM
RADIO ADVERTISING on conservative talk radio, AND TELEVISION ADVERTISING on the local news casts.

See THIS THREAD on how to best market Ron Paul:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27018

Corydoras
10-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Chipping in for radio and TV is important. I am astonished how many people there are who seem to think that things actually don't exist unless they've seen them on TV or heard about them on radio.

Scribbler de Stebbing
10-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Calling in to talk radio is even better than an ad. Usually you get more than 30 seconds, you tie Ron Paul in with the topic, you serve as proof that real live people support Ron Paul, and by the nature of talk shows, you're targeting political junkies.