PDA

View Full Version : Would you guys call Governors Chris Christie, Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry........

BamaFanNKy
11-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Nikki Haley, Mitch Daniels, and Rick Snyder part of the "Liberty movement?"

I ask this with a Kentucky and Senator Elect Rand Paul type of question in mind.

Love to hear your response.

Cowlesy
11-23-2010, 10:43 AM
I do not have enough background on all of them to make an educated response, especially in the case of civil liberty. I believe Christie has moved in the right direction on some forms of economic liberty.

specsaregood
11-23-2010, 10:47 AM
I do not have enough background on all of them to make an educated response, especially in the case of civil liberty. I believe Christie has moved in the right direction on some forms of economic liberty.

Christie does not seem to be part of the "Liberty" movement. Fiscal sanity, sure but not liberty.

JoshLowry
11-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I can say Rick Perry is a definite no. (Forced vaccinations and his push for massive eminent domain seizures)

Haven't really had a reason to dig into the others.

TheDriver
11-23-2010, 10:50 AM
No, I'd say they are a part of the "me-party."

MRoCkEd
11-23-2010, 10:53 AM
No on all counts

ronaldo23
11-23-2010, 10:54 AM

I ask this with a Kentucky and Senator Elect Rand Paul type of question in mind.

Chris Christie really isn't all that bad, especially when you consider he is the governor of NJ, an incredibly liberal state.

He announced recently that he plans to slash 1200 state government jobs, he opposes government workers' ridiculous benefits/pension plans and he opposed that unnecessary high speed rail b/c it would have raised taxes. He's no Ron Paul or anything, but you have to respect a guy who makes the progressives and teachers unions blood boil.

He does have some questionable relationships though, with people like Giuliani. I think he'll prove to be a good (even, great) governor in a liberal state who does what he can to get the budget in order, but as a presidential candidate, we can certainly do much better.

bwlibertyman
11-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Mitch Daniels is a maybe. He balanced the budget without a tax increase while inheriting a one billion dollar deficit I believe. He has called for a truce on social issues. So I think he's a prolifer anti-gayer but says that it's not important enough legislate. He's good on economic freedom. He's called a truce on personal freedom. So I give him a maybe. None of these guys are rpers or rp2ers.

sailingaway
11-23-2010, 10:55 AM

I don't know enough about Nikki Haley, but maybe. The others, no. Some might be better than other candidates, but I wouldn't call them part of the liberty movement.

Bern
11-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Rick Perry is an opportunist, not a statesman. He'll pander when the cameras are rolling and shovel out juicy contracts to his friends behind closed doors.

BamaFanNKy
11-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Rick Perry is an opportunist, not a statesman. He'll pander when the cameras are rolling and shovel out juicy contracts to his friends behind closed doors.

So, he's as effective as a Greg Davis offense?

Slutter McGee
11-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Perry is all talk. His actions don't match what he says. Christie is doing great on economic liberties, but I am not sure I would want him in a Federal Office. Haley could be great and might have the potential to be a real liberty candidate, but her term has started yet. We will see.

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

Elwar
11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Rick Perry is a Bilderberg pawn.

BamaFanNKy
11-23-2010, 02:56 PM
So would you say all of these people have the same principles or are just popular names amongst conservatives?

Kotin
11-23-2010, 03:02 PM
No on all counts

this.

none of them have any understanding of liberty

koob
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Are we talking about Rick Perry or Rick Snyder?

Sola_Fide
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Mitch Daniels throws a little crumb or two out for us deranged libertarians, but thats about it.

Indiana recieved an enourmous amount of bailout money. Obama is in Indiana today talking about it.

BamaFanNKy
11-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Would any of these be looked at as "Social Liberty" types?

Zap!
11-23-2010, 04:41 PM
I can say Rick Perry is a definite no. (Forced vaccinations and his push for massive eminent domain seizures)

Haven't really had a reason to dig into the others.

But the weird part is he talked secession once. That totally threw me off.

KCIndy
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
But the weird part is he talked secession once. That totally threw me off.

He was just posturing for the media in an attempt to appeal to his neocon base. He was never serious about it.

sailingaway
11-23-2010, 05:13 PM
He was just posturing for the media in an attempt to appeal to his neocon base. He was never serious about it.

^^this, he was trying to get tea party attention and unfortunately it threw people off who weren't quite ready to vote for an unknown like Medina.

KCIndy
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Mitch Daniels is a maybe. He balanced the budget without a tax increase while inheriting a one billion dollar deficit I believe. He has called for a truce on social issues. So I think he's a prolifer anti-gayer but says that it's not important enough legislate. He's good on economic freedom. He's called a truce on personal freedom. So I give him a maybe. None of these guys are rpers or rp2ers.

Don't forget that we got a 1% sales tax increase after the whole property tax debacle...

And personally, I'm still more than a little irked at the halfassed way Daniels went about "privatizing" the Indiana toll road. It wasn't a true privatization, it was a fire sale of taxpayer property. :mad:

Zap!
11-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Appeal to his neo-con base? That doesn't make sense. Neo-cons don't like secession, we do.

sailingaway
11-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Appeal to his neo-con base? That doesn't make sense. Neo-cons don't like secession, we do.

He was trying to appeal to the tea party on a 'safe' issue, i.e. one he could growl over but would never be called upon to follow through with.

TheHumblePhysicist
11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Whoever hasn't read the literature, isn't part of the liberty movement. I don't think Chris Christy even knows who Hayek is.

Zap!
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
He was trying to appeal to the tea party on a 'safe' issue, i.e. one he could growl over but would never be called upon to follow through with.

Medina should have brought up the fact that he was a Bilderburger in the debates.

Imperial
11-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Whoever hasn't read the literature, isn't part of the liberty movement. I don't think Chris Christy even knows who Hayek is.

Mitch Daniels, in contrast, has read the literature.

I really like Daniels right now. Despite some disagreements, I think he has a good approach to governance. It may not be Gary Johnson awesome, but it is pretty good nonetheless.

haaaylee
11-29-2010, 08:17 AM

This.

I'm a Texan, and he is slime.

Son of Detroit
11-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Rick Snyder seems pretty solid on economic issues, who knows on other stuff. Lower taxes and spending across the board. The only things that were talked about this election cycle in Michigan were jobs and the economy.

BuddyRey
11-29-2010, 08:31 AM
None of these excite me, because while some of them see eye-to-eye with libertarians on fiscal restraint, they don't seem to understand how a small government philosophy necessitates a laissez-faire attitude toward issues outside the realm of economics as well. I'm betting 9 out of 10 of these guys would have okayed the PATRIOT Act, DOMA, the Iraq War Resolution, and DEA funding without batting an eye.

RedBloodConservative
11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Nikki Haley: Yes, althought Mitt Romney backed her, I believe she fits in with the liberty/tea party movement. I have spoken to her personally numerous time.

Bobby Jindal: maybe, he got a lot of support from the tea party.

Mitch Daniels: being a former Hoosier- Hell NO! He sold one of indianas toll roads to a autralian company, he did cut taxes and balanced the buget, but he isn't liberty or tea party.

If you want someone from Indiana who fits in with the liberty movement, then look at Mike Pence, not mitch daniels!

AuH2O
11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Nikki Haley: Yes, althought Mitt Romney backed her, I believe she fits in with the liberty/tea party movement. I have spoken to her personally numerous time.

Mitch Daniels: being a former Hoosier- Hell NO! He sold one of indianas toll roads to a autralian company, he did cut taxes and balanced the buget, but he isn't liberty or tea party.

If you want someone from Indiana who fits in with the liberty movement, then look at Mike Pence, not mitch daniels!

Selling a toll road earns a "Hell NO!" ? This doesn't seem like such a grave offense, and could actually be a good thing, depending on the context.

Feeding the Abscess
11-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Mike Pence?

Seriously?

Wow. Not even close, dude.

RedBloodConservative
12-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Mike Pence?

Seriously?

Wow. Not even close, dude.

You must not follow Pence then.

smithtg
12-02-2010, 11:42 AM

he is called "slick Rick" for a reason.

Definitely a neo-con/RINO

Chester Copperpot
12-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Rick Perry is a complete globalist anti-american scumbag.. He puts on a good act and Texans eat it up.. but he's a phony in my book

Christie isnt so bad.. Maybe if he starts a state bank Ill consider moving him into the category of liberty..

That goes for all the other governors as well..

Start state banks and get the fed out of the business of state business

JulioForPaul
12-03-2010, 12:44 PM
So, he's as effective as a Greg Davis offense?

The reach of shaggybevo is strong.

I'm skeptical of all these supposed "tea party" newcomers. We will find out real soon who is a fan of liberty and who is not.

BamaFanNKy
12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
The reach of shaggybevo is strong.

I'm skeptical of all these supposed "tea party" newcomers. We will find out real soon who is a fan of liberty and who is not.

ShaggyBevo cried when I posted there. Everytime my posts were seen they went limp like Colt McCoy in the BCS championship.

JulioForPaul
12-03-2010, 02:18 PM
ShaggyBevo cried when I posted there. Everytime my posts were seen they went limp like Colt McCoy in the BCS championship.

I don't see how one can be a fan of the honesty and integrity of Ron and Rand Paul AND be a fan of the corrupt and dishonest programs of the SEC? Does not compute:)

BamaFanNKy
12-03-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't see how one can be a fan of the honesty and integrity of Ron and Rand Paul AND be a fan of the corrupt and dishonest programs of the SEC? Does not compute:)

Nothing says "Clean Programs" like:
http://www.1560thegame.com/media/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/team-pic.jpg

Old School Smack.

angelatc
12-03-2010, 05:49 PM

I'm not big on purity tests. I believe that we have quite a bit in common with Haley and Daniels. Snyder is a moderate.