PDA

View Full Version : TSA: Body-Scan Boycott Would Be A Mistake

Agorism
11-22-2010, 11:23 AM
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2010/11/tsa-boycott-opt-out/132060/1

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/today-in-the-sky/2010/11/22/pistolex-large.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) — With one of the year’s busiest traveling days fast approaching, the Obama administration’s top transportation security official on Monday urged passengers angry over safety procedures not to boycott airport body scans.

John Pistole said in nationally broadcast interviews he understands public concerns about privacy in the wake of the Transportation Security Administration’s tough new airline boarding security checks.

But at the same time, he said a relatively small proportion of the 34 million people who have flown since the new procedures went into effect have had the body pat downs that have come under withering criticism in recent days.

With the Thanksgiving travel rush less than 48 hours away, Pistole implored passengers Monday not to take delaying actions or engage in boycotts of body scans, actions he said would only serve to “tie up people who want to go home and see their loved ones.”

Pistole had pledged Sunday to review security procedures in the wake of a public outcry. But he also said the TSA must balance people’s demand for privacy with the need to protect passengers from those who would try to set off bombs on planes.

A loosely-organized Internet boycott of body scans is under way, and Pistole said he hoped people would exercise sound judgment over the busy Thanksgiving holiday. A National Opt-Out Day is scheduled for Wednesday to coincide with the busiest travel day of the year.

“Just one or two recalcitrant passengers at an airport is all it takes to cause huge delays,” said Paul Ruden, a spokesman for the American Society of Travel Agents, which has warned its more than 8,000 members about delays resulting from the body-scanner boycott. “It doesn’t take much to mess things up anyway — especially if someone purposely tries to mess it up.”

Body scans take as little as 10 seconds, but people who decline the process must submit to a full pat-down, which takes much longer. That could cause a cascade of delays at dozens of major airports, including those in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Atlanta. nationwide security programs, “there is a continual process of refinement and adjustment to ensure that best practices are applied.”

<continued>

ItsTime
11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
The TSA is stopping the people to get to their loved ones, not the boycotts.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
“Just one or two recalcitrant passengers at an airport is all it takes to cause huge delays,” said Paul Ruden, a spokesman for the American Society of Travel Agents, which has warned its more than 8,000 members about delays resulting from the body-scanner boycott. “It doesn’t take much to mess things up anyway — especially if someone purposely tries to mess it up.”

<<<<<Guilty!!!

Anti Federalist
11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
That said, a giant FUCK YOU to all the backpedaling, mealy mouthed, platitude gushing representatives of the ruling class in that article.

tangent4ronpaul
11-22-2010, 11:32 AM
“It doesn’t take much to mess things up anyway — especially if someone purposely tries to mess it up.”

Who needs bombs when you can easily muck up the works and only get a minor slap on the wrist - then go out and do it again the next day?

-t

HOLLYWOOD
11-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeap... and the government's Public Relations firms: ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, FOX have all been broadcasting the propaganda of John Pistole.

He's been on every single major network with of course the corporate press delivering softballs to this Authoritarian to bark his mandates.

This is not to keep people safe, simply to keep Fascist-Corporate America safe from a hijacker(s) slamming a jet into a financial or government tower or shutting down the travel industry which then hits the other dominoes and exposing the Depression we've been in the past 2 years.

Travlyr
11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Submit Damnit! Take the f**in pill.

Fredom101
11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
This reminds me of the show Prison Break, where most of the government officials are portrayed as sociopaths, and the media conspires to bring down innocent men. This guy is not listening to reason, clearly. So what do we do? I say step up the efforts. If opt-out day is ineffective, have another, bigger one in December. Start organizing and have a game plan. This is intolerable.

Bruno
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Hmmm....what we really need is a No-Fly Week. Pick a date in the near future, and encourage all people not to fly that week, to find other travel arrangments. Hit them wear it hurts, and maybe the airlines will put more pressure on the TSA.

txaslftist
11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Hmmm....what we really need is a No-Fly Week. Pick a date in the near future, and encourage all people not to fly that week, to find other travel arrangments. Hit them wear it hurts, and maybe the airlines will put more pressure on the TSA.

Yep. A boycott of the TSA scan is one thing. A boycott of flying is a completely different animal. I've pretty much given up flying, and a lot of other Americans have, too. The rates for air travel this year are the lowest since they started keeping track.

torchbearer
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM

or, like they've done before- the airlines will get bailed out with your money. so you pay for flights you didn't even take.

fisharmor
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
“you have to constantly refine and measure whether what we’re doing is the only way to assure the American people’s safety.”

If a corporation says it's going to keep me safe, and it doesn't, that's actionable.
Yet Barry does it, using stolen money, and if something happens to one of the passengers, tough shit.

I begin to understand how we got here. Airlines and airports probably aren't even remotely interested in providing security, since the current situation protects them legally.

"...most people understand that we’ve got to keep airplanes safe.”

Well, I've always been a little proud to say that I'm not most people.

Roxi
11-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Aimee Allen says she is DONE with flying. Period. :) All of us should take that stance if possible, I know I have.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
If a corporation says it's going to keep me safe, and it doesn't, that's actionable.
Yet Barry does it, using stolen money, and if something happens to one of the passengers, tough shit.

I begin to understand how we got here. Airlines and airports probably aren't even remotely interested in providing security, since the current situation protects them legally.

Well, I've always been a little proud to say that I'm not most people.

The problem arises because most people operate on the false assumption that they have a "right to safety".

It is false because:

1. Rights do not come from government.

2. If rights could be granted by government, where in the United States Constitution does it say that the government will keep everyone safe?

The problem with this false "right to safety" nonsense is that it gives rise to so many anti-liberty actions by government. For example, DUI and "safety" checkpoints, and red-light cameras.

jmdrake
11-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Submit Damnit! Take the f**in pill.

YouTube - Get Your Damn Vaccine! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX1mhiKEPtQ)

Bruno
11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
or, like they've done before- the airlines will get bailed out with your money. so you pay for flights you didn't even take.

I'll buy more gold and silver to keep up with the inflation tax. ;)