PDA

View Full Version : Airport body scanners are 'just as likely to kill you as terrorist bombs'

Anti Federalist
11-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Airport body scanners are 'just as likely to kill you as terrorist bombs'

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:46 AM on 19th November 2010

The airport X-ray scanner has been touted as one of the best ways to prevent a future terrorist attack.

But now a leading scientist has come forward to say it is just as likely to kill you as a terrorist's bomb blowing your plane out of the sky.

The bizarre warning stems from a statistical coincidence which apparently shows that you are just as likely to die from radiation allegedly emitted by the scanners as you are to die due to a terrorist bob on your flight.

Peter Rez, from Arizona State University, said the probability of dying from radiation from a body scanner and that of being killed in a terror attack are both about one in 30 million, making body scanners redundant.

He said: 'The thing that worries me the most, is not what happens if the machine works as advertised, but what happens if it doesn't.

A potential malfunction could increase the radiation dose, he said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1331185/Airport-body-scanners-just-likely-kill-terrorist-bombs.html#ixzz15zgSjFtf

Reason
11-22-2010, 02:12 AM
/facepalm

CCTelander
11-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Lolz!

Yieu
11-22-2010, 08:36 AM
I guess this is what is meant by 'security theatre'.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Cancerous bump

HOLLYWOOD
11-22-2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2996038&postcount=2

Rehm to TSA Admin: We were told agent orange was safe. Is TSA equipped to handle an opt out?

Streaming show: http://thedianerehmshow.org/audio-player?nid=13366 (http://thedianerehmshow.org/audio-player?nid=13366)

GUESTS

John Pistole Administrator, Transportation Security Administration

Scott McCartney travel editor and "The Middle Seat" columnist for "The Wall Street Journal"

Marc Rotenberg executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center and professor of information technology law at Georgetown University Law Center

David Brenner Higgins Professor of Radiation Biophysics, Director of Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University Medical Center

Frank Cilluffo director, Homeland Security Policy Institute at George Washington University.

Zippyjuan
11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Peter Rez, from Arizona State University, said the probability of dying from radiation from a body scanner and that of being killed in a terror attack are both about one in 30 million, making body scanners redundant.

Obviously we are not using any sort of cost/ benefit analysis based on risk factors in this case. The added cost and inconvenience and loss of personal freedoms is massively higher than the addition reduction of risk from previous security measures (metal detectors and occasional searches). If the ultimate goal is to get rid of ANY risk of travelling by air, there is only one effective means to achieve that goal- get rid of the airplanes and ban them. Then it is impossible for them to be hijacked or blown up or whatever. Otherwise, there will always be SOME risk associated with air travel. As there is with living.

Brian4Liberty
11-22-2010, 02:46 PM
He said: 'The thing that worries me the most, is not what happens if the machine works as advertised, but what happens if it doesn't.

A potential malfunction could increase the radiation dose, he said.

There is s certain percentage of people who die each year from cancer treatments where the machines are not calibrated correctly or due to operator error.

When Radiation Treatment Turns Deadly
By TARA PARKER-POPE

In today’s New York Times, Walt Bogdanich reports on the devastating consequences of medical mistakes related to radiation treatment. He tells the story of several patients who believed they were undergoing lifesaving treatment but instead were hit with lethal doses of radiation.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/23/when-radiation-treatment-turns-deadly/

agitator
11-22-2010, 02:54 PM
And the scanners will cause more people to drive. Thus, more deaths.

Maximus
11-22-2010, 03:10 PM
The terrorists must be laughing their heads off... actually I hope they literally laugh their heads off

Anti Federalist
11-22-2010, 08:59 PM
///

jrskblx125
11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
i just feel bad for the people who are cancer survivors who were told by doctors to avoid radiation. theyre literally forced to choose between something their doctor said to avoid... or getting touched in private parts. i mean the story about the woman with prosthetic breasts made me incredibly angry. no one should have to succomb to this shit.

i do however have questions about the radiation levels. word on the street in my engineering circles is that the radiation is a lot less than typical xrays, which makes sense. but its still an instrument capable of going out of calibration.

people keep trying to justify the safety issues of all this nonsense, and they arent even considering it an infringement on rights. its sickening that the sheep want to speak freely and practice faith freely, but its ok for the govt to touch their private parts.