PDA

View Full Version : Veteran barred from college campus for essay about war

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/bs-md-veteran-suspension-20101121,0,4190864.story

amy31416
11-21-2010, 06:09 PM
That's damn creepy.

I don't know if CCBC did the right thing or not (I think they did, as the safety of other students may be at risk), but one thing's for sure--it won't help his "addiction" to killing. And it certainly won't help other vets to feel comfortable in coming forward with all this shit they have bottled up.

Of course...the safety of the students/teachers may be at higher risk for kicking him out.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I have two problems with this.

1.) This is an institution that is open to and funded by the public. If this was a private institution than I would not have an issue with this because they would be free to enact any security measures they so desired but that is not the case here. I feel that this is a form of free speech restriction.

2.) It was an essay and thus only his thoughts and nothing more. To kick him out of school until he undergoes treatment is like prosecution for thought crime. Nobody was hurt and he was asked to put his thoughts on paper and that is what he did.

I think it is easy to point to an incident like Virginia Tech as your reasoning for this reaction because it will appeal to people's emotions and will excuse them in the mind of the public for reaction in this manner. People will never stop and think that if this can happen to a war veteran who just put his thoughts down on paper than this can happen to anyone and nobody will have a leg to stand on because they already allowed thought crimes to be prosecuted in a way.

That is just my humble opinion though.

t0rnado
11-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Community colleges shouldn't exist in the first place.

Promontorium
11-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Community colleges shouldn't exist in the first place.

Annnnd your opinion is irrelevant. If you don't think government should exist at all, there's no point in trying to nit pick. Just make your signature "government shouldn't exist" and type "..." everytime you want to name specific parts of it you don't like. lol

tremendoustie
11-22-2010, 01:56 AM
The real issue is how much war f***s people up. It messed my uncle up too -- not in the same way, but badly enough.

Everyone's a victim when these greedy and bloodthirsty politicians propagate their endless war.

amy31416
11-22-2010, 08:41 AM
The real issue is how much war f***s people up. It messed my uncle up too -- not in the same way, but badly enough.

Everyone's a victim when these greedy and bloodthirsty politicians propagate their endless war.

Agreed. If BCCC were a school that was worth a damn, that class would be discussing that and how to help the tens of thousands of others who will come home like him until this bloody foreign policy is ended for good.

oyarde
11-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Ridiculous .

Maximus
11-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I feel awful for the guy. The school could have handled this in a much better way.

Bring him in, get him checked out by a shrink, put him back in class if everything checks out.

They made a mistake by first suspending him and then asking him to see a shrink.