PDA

View Full Version : Code Pink protests Bush's new Decision Points book

Agorism
11-20-2010, 02:08 PM
http://codepinkalert.org/article.php?id=5609

Activists move the book to the crime section of the book store, and insert these pamphlets into the books.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/codepink4peace.org/downloads/wheresW-bushsbookmark.pdf

November 15th, 2010

Activists from around the country and all over Texas will be outside the opening of Bush's Presidential Library in Dallas this week. Several thousand spectators are expected to show--CODEPINK and other groups will be at the groundbreaking with signs, banners and handcuffs for the former president and war-criminal-at-large. With the release of George W. Bush's memoir Decision Points, CODEPINK activists are mobilizing throughout the country to make sure Bush is greeted by protests. They have already "greeted him" at book signings in Dallas, Miami, Milwaukee, and elsewhere.
"With his book, media appearances and the opening of his library in Dallas, George Bush is being treated as a respected statesman instead of what he really is: a war criminal," said CODEPINK cofounder Medea Benjamin. "That's why we, the people, have to set the record straight." Medea is on the ground in Dallas and available for interviews at 415-235-6517.
Bush's book is causing quite a stir. In his memoir, Bush claims the German government gave him the okay to invade Iraq but the former German Chancellor says he's lying. Bush claims that the use of waterboarding saved British lives, a claim that British officials dispute. And Bush's admission that he authorized waterboarding has led Amnesty International and the ACLU to call for his prosecution.
"High officials must be held accountable for criminal acts," says CODEPINK cofounder Jodie Evans, was just in Miami at Bush's Book Expo launch. "Otherwise, it sends a clear message to future administrations--including the current one--that they are not required to uphold the basic tenets of human rights and international law."

Activists are also descending on bookstores to move Decision Points into the Crime section at local bookstores, and are downloading special "This Book's Author is a War Criminal" bookmarks to put in each copy.

Photos of books moved to the crime section in bookstores can be located here: http://bit.ly/wheresw

The War Criminal bookmark is available to download and insert in Bush's new memoir : www.codepink.org/downloads/wheresW-bushsbookmark.pdf

AxisMundi
11-20-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm all for protests and free speech, and I certainly agree that some of Bush43's actions were criminal and need to be addressed if nothing more than to serve notice to the current, and future, POTUS', but I think moving books and inserting pamphlets is going to far.

Not only do private property rights trump quite a few Constitutional Rights, such as free speech, such activities costs the store own how much in time and salery to move the books back?

Only goes to show wackyness knows no political ideology or partisan lines I guess.

Agorism
11-20-2010, 02:34 PM
At most it's just littering.

Plus most book stores allow you to pick up the books and look at them with no requirement that you put them back in the correct place. It's no different then if you pick up a shirt at a department store and put it back down unfolded with the idea that someone will probably refold it.

acptulsa
11-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Only goes to show wackyness knows no political ideology or partisan lines I guess.

Well, I'm sure there are whacky ones in there. But I suspect that many of the people who don't care if a store selling an item that makes profit for a war criminal have to spend a bit extra rearranging things. And free speech works both ways--the store has the right to sell speech selectively and the people have the right to say some of the store's select authors stink.

FrankRep
11-20-2010, 02:37 PM
When will Code Pink have a massive demonstration against President Obama?

AxisMundi
11-20-2010, 02:37 PM
At most it's just littering.

Plus most book stores allow you to pick up the books and look at them with no requirement that you put them back in the correct place. It's no different then if you pick up a shirt at a department store and put it back down unfolded with the idea that someone will probably refold it.

I disagree.

How many copies of the book where moved by protestors, and then were required to be moved back?

If I pick up an item, I always mack sure to put it back so the store's workers don't waste time for me being lazy.

Agorism
11-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I disagree.

How many copies of the book where moved by protestors, and then were required to be moved back?

If I pick up an item, I always mack sure to put it back so the store's workers don't waste time for me being lazy.

Hopefully many of the copies were moved to the crime section where they belong.

AxisMundi
11-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Well, I'm sure there are whacky ones in there. But I suspect that many of the people who don't care if a store selling an item that makes profit for a war criminal have to spend a bit extra rearranging things. And free speech works both ways--the store has the right to sell speech selectively and the people have the right to say some of the store's select authors stink.

I'm keeping my eye out to see if Bush43 comes to my hometown for a book signing. I intend on joining te protestors OUTSIDE of the store.

This isn't a matter of capitalism-at-work, in my opinion.

This is a matter of what could be construed as criminal trespassing and vandalism detracting from the actual message of the protestors as the media concentrates on not only one group (Code Pink) but glosses over the very reason for the protest in the first place.

BamaAla
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm keeping my eye out to see if Bush43 comes to my hometown for a book signing. I intend on joining te protestors OUTSIDE of the store.

This isn't a matter of capitalism-at-work, in my opinion.

This is a matter of what could be construed as criminal trespassing and vandalism detracting from the actual message of the protestors as the media concentrates on not only one group (Code Pink) but glosses over the very reason for the protest in the first place.

+rep

I would love to protest him and his book, but it is counterproductive to act like that.

acptulsa
11-20-2010, 02:48 PM

It might well be a distraction. But one thing is certain--our current media wouldn't give The Anti-Federalist Papers an un-glossed review even if The John Birch Society paid them a billion dollars to do it.

So, no, we're not getting the unvarnished truth here. Of course not. Perish the thought.

Bruno
11-20-2010, 03:08 PM

this

charrob
11-20-2010, 03:38 PM

They are joining this (http://www.stopthesewars.org/?p=81) effort on December 16 at the White House. This event is open for all who are interested in joining in to stop the wars. Please help if you can.

t0rnado
11-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Code Pink is just a group of attention whores who hate George Bush. They don't oppose the war and are extremely fucking stupid:

'Code Pink' rethinks its call for Afghanistan pullout

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2009/1006/p06s10-wosc.html

klamath
11-20-2010, 05:13 PM
When they protest Obama's war expansions I will believe that they are really anti war and not just anti republican leftists.

libertygrl
11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Code: Hypocrites. They sure disappeared fast from protesting the wars once Obama came into power. Pathetic.

Vessol
11-20-2010, 06:47 PM

This. Code Pink is a joke, same with the whole "anti-war" left.

speciallyblend
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
well i am sure they can add obama's books next to bush's codepink is full of crap!!

South Park Fan
11-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Why don't they protest the war criminal(s) that currently hold(s) power rather than beat a dead horse by denouncing Bush?

ammorris
11-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Why don't they protest the war criminal(s) that currently hold(s) power rather than beat a dead horse by denouncing Bush?

This. Why waste time protesting the last guy while the current is committing his own atrocities?

Anti Federalist
11-20-2010, 09:51 PM
All of the below.

I'd give all ya'all rep if I could.

this

Code Pink is just a group of attention whores who hate George Bush. They don't oppose the war and are extremely fucking stupid:

'Code Pink' rethinks its call for Afghanistan pullout

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2009/1006/p06s10-wosc.html

When they protest Obama's war expansions I will believe that they are really anti war and not just anti republican leftists.

Code: Hypocrites. They sure disappeared fast from protesting the wars once Obama came into power. Pathetic.

This. Code Pink is a joke, same with the whole "anti-war" left.

This. Why waste time protesting the last guy while the current is committing his own atrocities?

charrob
11-20-2010, 10:03 PM
But they (code pink) are protesting, and have been protesting. Just because the media doesn't pick up on it doesn't mean they've stopped protesting. As stated in a previous post, they plan on joining Veterans For Peace and protesting at the White House on December 16: my question is: where are the antiwar libertarians?

klamath
11-20-2010, 10:15 PM
But they (code pink) are protesting, and have been protesting. Just because the media doesn't pick up on it doesn't mean they've stopped protesting. As stated in a previous post, they plan on joining Veterans For Peace and protesting at the White House on December 16: my question is: where are the antiwar libertarians?
When you get back from the protest post the pictures of the thousands of code pink protesters like I saw when Bush was CIC.

speciallyblend
11-20-2010, 10:16 PM
just called codepink and asked them why they dropped the ball after obama was elected!!! When obama endorsed the bush foreign policy! I asked them if they had any credibility they would also protest obama instead of endorsing bush policy!! left that on their voice mail

General inquiries: info[@]codepinkalert.org or call 310-827-4320

speciallyblend
11-20-2010, 10:21 PM

>anti-war Ron paul Republican with Libertarian Leanings....

any links to show that codepink has been making efforts against obama like they did bush? i haven't seen any pr releases from codepink from pr news or any news service let alone msm!! It would cost codepink 50-99 dollars for pr news service or 100-200 for a full pr release!!

charrob
11-20-2010, 10:26 PM
When you get back from the protest post the pictures of the thousands of code pink protesters like I saw when Bush was CIC.

-When you say there were thousands, are you referring to democrats in general, or code pink in particular?

charrob
11-20-2010, 10:40 PM
just called codepink and asked them why they dropped the ball after obama was elected!!!

It doesn't appear to me that they have 'dropped' the ball. While their group is small, they've continued to protest the wars as well as israeli occupation of palestine in an ongoing basis. They've also been in protest and have called for the freeing of Bradley Manning. They face arrest and police harrassment despite being innocent of crimes. I give them alot of credit for having the wherewithal to continue. Despite all the badmouthing of them on this thread, I've yet to see large numbers of antiwar libertarians at antiwar protests. December 16 there is a protest at the White House; code pink will be there. Rather than be so critical of them, why not join them in their quest for peace?

speciallyblend
11-20-2010, 11:08 PM
It doesn't appear to me that they have 'dropped' the ball. While their group is small, they've continued to protest the wars as well as israeli occupation of palestine in an ongoing basis. They've also been in protest and have called for the freeing of Bradley Manning. They face arrest and police harrassment despite being innocent of crimes. I give them alot of credit for having the wherewithal to continue. Despite all the badmouthing of them on this thread, I've yet to see large numbers of antiwar libertarians at antiwar protests. December 16 there is a protest at the White House; code pink will be there. Rather than be so critical of them, why not join them in their quest for peace?

I am in Colorado no way i can afford dc unless someone wants to pay for my round trip and loss of wages, maybe codepink should protest msnbc,cnn and fox instead of our obama gov! they seem to get coverage from msnbc,cnn when bush was in office. I guess codepink is not protesting the right folks!!! maybe they can put obamas book in the criminal section since bush isn't in office anymore!!! that might get coverage!!! I personally think codepink has dropped the ball!

maybe codepink should use the same media sources they used under bush?? maybe codepink needs to protest msnbc,cnn and fox instead of obama or both!! codepink can afford a press release! love to hear codepink blame msnbc and cnn for not covering their activities!! If that was the case then codepink has more to protest then obama!!

speciallyblend
11-20-2010, 11:17 PM

yeah i have extra money to take off work and fly to dc;) maybe codepink needs to start protesting msnbc and cnn along with obama!!

speciallyblend
11-20-2010, 11:26 PM

this whole op by codepink is a waste of time and past history! how about protesting who is in office now endorsing bush policy! One question for codepink who is in office now bush or obama? this whole op by codepink is a waste of resources and time and purpose!!! This op alone is codepink dropping the ball right now!! This is codepink bush agenda,not anti-war motives to stop obamas undeclared wars!

AxisMundi
11-29-2010, 06:03 PM
this whole op by codepink is a waste of time and past history! how about protesting who is in office now endorsing bush policy! One question for codepink who is in office now bush or obama? this whole op by codepink is a waste of resources and time and purpose!!! This op alone is codepink dropping the ball right now!! This is codepink bush agenda,not anti-war motives to stop obamas undeclared wars!

I do not see any sence in protesting the man who inherited these wars, as opposed to protesting the man who fooled most of a Nation and took us there in the first place under highly questionable motive.

Bush43 is a perfect opportunity to send the strongest possible message to all POTUS' yet to come that We the People will not stand for the type of nonsence exhibited by the last administration's foriegn "policy", and that the Oval Office does not guarentee a person immunity from their crimes.

Agorism
11-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Well if Obama does all the same crimes, then there is no one to prosecute. It just becomes the status quo.

dannno
11-29-2010, 06:22 PM

Ya seriously, wtf :mad:

charrob
11-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Well if Obama does all the same crimes, then there is no one to prosecute. It just becomes the status quo.

That's why it's so important that people start protesting these wars. Code Pink continues to protest (they will be chaining themselves to the White House fence after the _rally_ (http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/29-3) on December 16) but there needs to be lots more people showing up at these things if any change is to take place.