PDA

View Full Version : Reason being sophisticates: "What Can Rand Paul Do?"

sailingaway
11-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I think the cynicism goes on with the black leather jackets:

For all the furor the Tea Party movement generated this year, when it came to the mightiest deliberative body in human history, the U.S. Senate, the Tea Party won only one real prize: Rand Paul's election as Kentucky’s junior senator. On the surface he's a Republican, but Paul frames himself as a representative of a supposedly trans-partisan Tea Party, burning with an urge to cut spending and curb debt that he admits his GOP comrades have not shown....

more at link

http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/19/what-can-rand-paul-do

personally, I think they undervalue the ability to even RAISE ISSUES in debate. He'd raise things on the campaign trail, and suddenly capital hill would be falling all over them. Sometimes you just need a new idea.

I think they could let him get sworn in before raining on our parade....

ashura
11-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I think the cynicism goes on with the black leather jackets

You're thinking of Nick Gillespie bro, this is by Brian Doherty. ;)

The article's a bunch of nonsense."Oh no, a libertarian on board means that libertarian ideas can be scrutinized by a wider and more diverse audience!" We WANT those ideas out there asshole! So that people can see how ridiculous both the left and right are on the issues. It's like how a great article described Ron back in the 08 race, a mirror being held up to the Republican establishment revealing how awful they are. Rand will be a mirror for the entire political establishment.

sailingaway
11-19-2010, 07:52 PM
You're thinking of Nick Gillespie bro, this is by Brian Doherty. ;)

The article's a bunch of nonsense."Oh no, a libertarian on board means that libertarian ideas can be scrutinized by a wider and more diverse audience!" We WANT those ideas out there asshole! So that people can see how ridiculous both the left and right are on the issues. It's like how a great article described Ron back in the 08 race, a mirror being held up to the Republican establishment revealing how awful they are. Rand will be a mirror for the entire political establishment.

Yeah, and while I don't pretend to be a 'keeper of the word' isn't it a bit collectivist to think all people with libertarian beliefs would be precisely alike on all issues, in any event?

BenIsForRon
11-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I'd say the article is fairly realistic, except the author doesn't fully realize the power Rand will have if he can utilize the media effectively. If Rand continues to push the agenda on television, he will effectively be casting light on the corrupt republicans, forcing them to do the right thing or risk losing their office.

sailingaway
11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I'd say the article is fairly realistic, except the author doesn't fully realize the power Rand will have if he can utilize the media effectively. If Rand continues to push the agenda on television, he will effectively be casting light on the corrupt republicans, forcing them to do the right thing or risk losing their office.

And he and his Dad have us, of course, and the ear of the tea parties. C4L alone is 500,000 members strong, last I heard. It isn't like there won't be an outpouring of public support for every good idea either of them have.....:D

wormyguy
11-20-2010, 02:32 PM
The article is right - one senator really can't change much. 10 or so is the "critical mass."

DeadheadForPaul
11-20-2010, 02:37 PM
the Tea Party won only one real prize: Rand Paul's election as Kentucky’s junior senator.

Clearly the writer has not seen any speeches by Mike Lee.
This statement reveals that he is either oblivious or likes hyperbolic statements.

There may not be many Senators that agree with Rand on many points, but I believe he is capable of reaching across the aisle and bringing folks together on important issues.

He can be a bridge much like Ron was with Audit the Fed.

Many people are also forgetting that a principled, loud-spoken Senator has an international platform. Rand is bringing our ideas to the entire population. Most people only think of things in terms of Dem vs. Repub. When was the last time federalism or monetary policy or the debt were seriously discussed in the media and by people on the street?

We are CHANGING the debate. All of a sudden decentralization is a topic of interest and is getting support

Rand's election is not some insignificant victory - it has far-reaching implications that will elevate political discourse, inform everyday voters, bring some of the 49% of politically apathetic Americans back into politics on our side, and challenge the duopoly in Washington

acptulsa
11-20-2010, 02:39 PM
We need people to be reminded of this simple fact. We do still have but one real libertarian in the House, and will (with the new term) have but one to really count on in the Senate (and if others prove themselves, good). We do want people to understand this.

Otherwise they'll blame all the mistakes those old neocons and new teaocons start making next year on us.