PDA

View Full Version : What's a good way to motivate my local meetup?

Starks
10-20-2007, 03:52 PM
In all honesty, we (Prince Georges County, Maryland) are disorganized and don't take advantage of largest open real estate in the county, the UMD College Park campus, to promote the message of freedom.

What should I do? They don't want to listen to me!

LibertyEagle
10-20-2007, 03:58 PM
You don't need groups, in order to promote Ron Paul. Grab some Slim Jims and head out. Hand one to every single person you see. Repeat, over and over again. :)

Starks
10-20-2007, 04:03 PM
You don't need groups, in order to promote Ron Paul. Grab some Slim Jims and head out. Hand one to every single person you see. Repeat, over and over again. :)

Yeah, but I'm a (relatively) poor college student without a car and I don't want to be seen as some lone nut.

foofighter20x
10-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Strippers tend to work for me. :D [/joke]

DeadheadForPaul
10-20-2007, 04:11 PM
water boarding?

BW4Paul
Yeah, but I'm a (relatively) poor college student without a car and I don't want to be seen as some lone nut.
^^^ I am exactly this, too. The key is in how you present yourself. Wear a nice, simple Ron Paul T-shirt (nothing too out there- personally, I like the "Legalize the Constitution" ones on Cafe Press) with a pair of pressed khaki pants, a belt, and respectable non-sneaker shoes. Carry yourself as if you were an official representative of the campaign, and hand out flyers with the confidence of someone who "knows" that s/he is supposed to be there.

If you look nice, extend a flyer to everyone, and say a simple, "Hi, how are you?" as you do so, most folks will grab it automatically.

jgmaynard
Regular meetings, try to attract pretty girls, get in your local newspaper (ANY excuse for a press release!), try to get some events going.

JM

robatsu
10-20-2007, 04:14 PM

Well, that's the price we pay for being lone nuts. You get used to it.

Believe me, this is easier that performing music on street corners, which me and fiddler do from time to time.

It really gets down to if it is the right thing to do, how bad do you want the result.

After a while, it gets pretty easy, although it is a little more comfortable if you do it with a friend or two. Find a Ron Paul friend. There's gotta be more RP supporters than just you in College Park.

Roxi
10-20-2007, 04:20 PM
sign makings, and sign holdings did it for our group, we now have a very organized group and have become close friends!

Starks
10-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't have any money for materials to hand out or large signs...

saku39
10-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Connect with another area Meetup group and see if they'll help you.

me3
10-20-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't have any money for materials to hand out or large signs...
If you ask around, I am sure someone here can get you some assistance. Starting anything is always the hardest part, from there it is all downhill! :)

Misesian
10-20-2007, 05:27 PM
You can get liberty cards pretty cheap.

Otherwise try printing out the tri-fold brochure and hand these out.

If you are an assistant organizer in your group it can be pretty easy for you to get these organized, if not than it'll be more difficult but not impossible.

Simply just start doing things under the assumption that it's ONLY going to be yourself. However be SURE to schedule an event (if you're a meetup organizer) or send an email to the group about what you're going to do and invite them to join you, and inevitably people will. This will be good for sign wavings and also for canvassing with the liberty cards, tri-fold brochures you print at school, or with slim jims.

If you schedule it, they will come.