PDA

View Full Version : Committees.....Did Ron make Chairman of the Domestic Monetary Subcommittee?

wgadget
11-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Haven't heard any news.

My thoughts were that the committee would be "abolished" before they'd give him the chairmanship.

runningdiz
11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
it won't

Elwar
11-19-2010, 08:06 AM
it won't

That's what happened last time he was up for chair...

Bern
11-19-2010, 09:20 AM
... The House Republican Steering Committee is tasked with selecting full committee and subcommittee chairmen as well as committee membership for the 112th Congress.
The Steering Committee, headed by Speaker-elect John Boehner, is anticipated to begin meeting the week of November 29th.

http://politicalnews.me/?id=6789&keys=Congressman-Lynn-Westmoreland-SteeringCommittee

tsai3904
11-19-2010, 10:03 AM
These representatives are members of the Steering Committee. Feel free to email them and voice your opinion regarding who should lead the Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology.

John Boehner (OH-08) (Chairman of Steering Committee)
Eric Cantor (VA-07)
Greg Walden (OR-02)
Kevin McCarthy (CA-22)
Lynn Westmoreland (GA-03)
Tom Price (GA-06)
Gregg Harper (MS-03)
Jeb Hensarling (TX-05)
Joe Barton (TX-06)
John Carter (TX-31)
Pete Sessions (TX-32)
Cathy Rodgers (WA-05)
Hal Rogers (KY-05)
Cynthia Lummis (WY-AL)
Pat Meehan (PA-07) (incoming freshman)
Joe Heck (NV-03) (incoming freshman)
Todd Rokita (IN-04) (incoming freshman)
Austin Scott (GA-08) (incoming freshman)

More members will be selected this week.

economics102
11-19-2010, 10:35 AM
That's what happened last time he was up for chair...

It's slightly different this time around because Rand Paul is in the senate. I don't think they want to piss off Rand by screwing his father out of the chairmanship he's been waiting like 30 years to get.

sailingaway
11-19-2010, 10:37 AM
It's slightly different this time around because Rand Paul is in the senate. I don't think they want to piss off Rand by screwing his father out of the chairmanship he's been waiting like 30 years to get.

It is circular. Rand GOT into the Senate in part because his father's influence has grown. And people like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck are mentioning how great it will be to have Ron on this committee. If they deep six his appointment it isn't going to go under the radar, even slightly. And whether or not we have enough to elect a president, I'm pretty sure we have enough support to cause real trouble for a Congressman's reelection if we have a serious grudge. Note Sue Lowden. I am NEVER going to consider her losing the GOP nomination to be a loss.

wgadget
11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
America had the Kennedys, the Bushes, and now........the Paul dynasty.

:)

Bern
11-30-2010, 08:55 AM
So the Steering Committee was supposed to start meeting yesterday... Anyone know what's happening?

House Republicans bidding to lead two powerful committees will make their presentations today and Tuesday to the GOP Steering Committee, with final decisions to come on the new chairmen next week, according to Republican leadership aides.

Heated contests include the Appropriations Committee, where Reps. Harold Rogers (Ky.) and Rep. Jack Kingston (Ga.) want the job if Rep. Jerry Lewis (Calif.) doesn't get a term limit waiver.

Also up for grabs is the Energy and Commerce Committee gavel, with Rep. Fred Upton (Mich.) considered the front-runner despite complaints from some Republicans that he's not conservative enough. Reps. Joe Barton (Texas), John Shimkus (Ill.) and Cliff Stearns (Fla.) are also expected to make their pitches on Tuesday in the Capitol Visitor Center.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45675.html

Lucille
11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
There's more than one way for the GOP Statists to skin a cat:

Cantor Says GOP Is Eyeing Term Limits for Leadership (http://www.rollcall.com/news/-200955-1.html)

AuH2O
11-30-2010, 10:47 AM
These representatives are members of the Steering Committee. Feel free to email them and voice your opinion regarding who should lead the Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology.

John Boehner (OH-08) (Chairman of Steering Committee)
Eric Cantor (VA-07)
Greg Walden (OR-02)
Kevin McCarthy (CA-22)
Tom Price (GA-06)
Gregg Harper (MS-03)
Jeb Hensarling (TX-05)
Joe Barton (TX-06)
John Carter (TX-31)
Pete Sessions (TX-32)
Cathy Rodgers (WA-05)
Hal Rogers (KY-05)
Cynthia Lummis (WY-AL)
Pat Meehan (PA-07) (incoming freshman)
Joe Heck (NV-03) (incoming freshman)
Todd Rokita (IN-04) (incoming freshman)
Austin Scott (GA-08) (incoming freshman)

More members will be selected this week.

Where did you get this? I have a different list which I received from a member of the committee. There were only supposed to be 3 freshman to my knowledge.

tsai3904
11-30-2010, 11:09 AM
I gathered those names from news articles. Three freshmen were chosen to be on the steering committee and the freshmen class president (Austin Scott) is also awarded a position on the committee.

The entire list is here:

John Boehner (OH-08)
Eric Cantor (VA-07)
Kevin McCarthy (CA-22)
Jeb Hensarling (TX-05)
Tom Price (GA-06)
Cathy McMorris-Rodgers (WA-05)
John Carter (TX-31)
Pete Sessions (TX-32)
Greg Walden (OR-02)
Tom Cole (OK-04)
Lamar Smith (TX-21)
Ken Calvert (CA-44)
Jeff Miller (FL-01)
Doc Hastings (WA-04)
Tom Latham (IA-04)
John Shimkus (IL-19)
Mike Rogers (AL-03)
Bill Shuster (PA-09)
Steve LaTourette (OH-14)
Hal Rogers (KY-05)
Bob Goodlatte (VA-06)
Cynthia Lummis (WY-AL)
Gregg Harper (MS-03)
Todd Rokita (IN-04)
Joe Heck (NV-03)
Pat Meehan (PA-07)
Austin Scott (GA-08)

sailingaway
11-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I gathered those names from news articles. Three freshmen were chosen to be on the steering committee and the freshmen class president (Austin Scott) is also awarded a position on the committee.

The entire list is here:

John Boehner (OH-08)
Eric Cantor (VA-07)
Kevin McCarthy (CA-22)
Jeb Hensarling (TX-05)
Tom Price (GA-06)
Cathy McMorris-Rodgers (WA-05)
John Carter (TX-31)
Pete Sessions (TX-32)
Greg Walden (OR-02)
Tom Cole (OK-04)
Lamar Smith (TX-21)
Ken Calvert (CA-44)
Jeff Miller (FL-01)
Doc Hastings (WA-04)
Tom Latham (IA-04)
John Shimkus (IL-19)
Mike Rogers (AL-03)
Bill Shuster (PA-09)
Steve LaTourette (OH-14)
Hal Rogers (KY-05)
Bob Goodlatte (VA-06)
Cynthia Lummis (WY-AL)
Gregg Harper (MS-03)
Todd Rokita (IN-04)
Joe Heck (NV-03)
Pat Meehan (PA-07)
Austin Scott (GA-08)

Hanserling had better push for Ron, Ron endorsed Hanserling which pretty much ended Michelle B's momentum for that committee leadership.

Are we going to know how they all vote, in the end?

AuH2O
11-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Are you certain freshman class president gets a seat?

Anyhow, your first list has some that are wrong. Barton, for example. Second list is what I have, with the exception of Scott.

tsai3904
11-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Yea, my first list may be off.

As far as Austin Scott, here is an article that I gathered his name from:

http://politicalnews.me/?id=6791

"In an important step for the state of Georgia, the Republican freshman class elected Congressman-Elect Austin Scott (GA-08) to serve as their president. The freshman class president serves as a representative of the newly elected Republican members in several leadership positions, including a position on the House Republican Steering Committee."

tsai3904
11-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Also, John Boehner has 5 votes, Eric Cantor has 2 votes, and everyone else on the committee has 1 vote.

I don't think we'll know how they voted.

sailingaway
11-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Also, John Boehner has 5 votes, Eric Cantor has 2 votes, and everyone else on the committee has 1 vote.

I don't think we'll know how they voted.

Well, Boehner and Canter shouldn't be too hard to primary, in any event.

Bern
12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
The Steering Committee is vetting candidates for top committee slots, and is planning to make decisions next week.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/131287-the-first-rule-of-steering-committee-is-

TheeJoeGlass
12-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Ron should tell them that if they try to deny him the chair, he will run third party in 12. That should stop them.

hazek
12-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Ron should tell them that if they try to deny him the chair, he will run third party in 12. That should stop them.

Bwahaha you're joking right?

There's absolutely nothing he or we can do if they decide not to give him the chair. Nothing.

sailingaway
12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Bwahaha you're joking right?

There's absolutely nothing he or we can do if they decide not to give him the chair. Nothing.

You are wrong, imho. We can primary Canter and Boehner. Come on, we're stronger than that.

TruckinMike
12-01-2010, 01:43 PM
you are wrong, imho. We can primary canter and boehner. Come on, we're stronger than that.

+1000