PDA

View Full Version : Military leader Tony Perkins threatens left: if DADT repealed, then need a draft

Agorism
11-18-2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/conservative-leader-draft-reinstated-gay-ban-repealed/

The presence of openly serving gays in the military will be so offensive that many Americans will not be willing to serve their country, says one conservative leader who has campaigned against gay rights.

The Family Research Council's Tony Perkins predicted Thursday that President Barack Obama will be forced to reinstate the draft if Democrats are successful in repealing the military's controversial "don't ask, don't tell" policy which forces gay, lesbian and trans-gender members to hide their personal lives or face expulsion from the service.

"Barack Obama is opposed to the draft as a matter of principle, to be sure," wrote Perkins in an op-ed for The Daily Caller. "But the president’s drive to repeal the ban on open homosexuality in the military could have this unintended consequence: It could bring back the draft."

Perkins warns service members that if the policy is repealed, "your military family will be confronted again and again with forced acceptance of a lifestyle you regard as immoral."

"Base 'diversity' efforts will promote the homosexual lifestyle. Parents of younger children will be hard-pressed to shield their kids from these. Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS) will be turned into advocacy centers for acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle. We may even see a military 'czar' appointed for this purpose," said Perkins.
All of these undesirable outcomes will cause a sharp reduction in recruitment. We have a top general and admiral who now say, outrageously: If you don’t like it, 'get out!' They are asking for an exodus," he continued.

The military is not a red state/blue state institution. It unifies our country. It draws its dedicated members from all regions. Still, it is no secret that the military is a socially conservative institution. It recruits heavily from rural areas in the South, the Midwest, and the Inter-Mountain states.
In our larger cities, black and Hispanic recruits are encouraged to consider the military — which has historically been a great ladder of achievement for racial and ethnic minorities.
These are the very areas and groups who have been most resistant to the demands of the homosexual lobby. These are the very regions and groups who have rallied to our side whenever we put a defense of marriage initiative on the ballot
If these regions and groups do not enlist in our all-volunteer force, President Obama will be driven to the place he does not want to go: the military draft.
Like Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), Perkins rejects a leaked Pentagon study that says most US troops don't care whether gays are allowed to serve openly.

"[T]his study was directed at how to implement the repeal, not whether the repeal should take place or not," McCain told NBC's David Gregory Sunday.

"The deeply flawed 'survey' of current members of our all-volunteer military should not lull policymakers into a false sense of security. Or, in this instance, a false sense of national security," Perkins warned.

"The survey presumes that homosexuality is like skin color. Well, it’s not. You can easily have a neighbor in military housing of a different race. That presents no problem for your military family. But if the neighbors are a same-sex couple, then your family is affected in a very serious way. You must explain to your children that their beliefs and deeply-held values about marriage, about questions of religious faith, must be suppressed."

As Right Wing Watch points outs, Family Research Council's own interview with a military recruiter indicates that troops will continue to serve if gays are allowed to serve openly.

"I'm sure this thought has come to you and you may have even been asked about it. If someone considering getting into the military were to ask you if this policy changes, what are you going to say to them?" Perkins asked Sergeant First Class Benjamin Ratcliff.

"I would tell them to serve anyway," Ratcliff replied. "If all men of courage and men that had a moral compass were to leave the military, then we wouldn’t have a military. There would be nobody left to serve and protect. So I don’t really -- I would serve regardless of what comes out of Washington."

This video is from Family Research Council, uploaded to YouTube Aug. 9, 2010.

jmdrake
12-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I've always wondered why Vietnam era draft dodgers didn't fake being gay as opposed to running off to Canada? I mean I know that never worked for Klinger, but that was just TV right?

http://www.smokeysoffice.com/Entertain/MASH/MashPhoto/MiscCast/Klinger7.jpg

libertarian4321
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Military leader Tony Perkins

Military leader?

The guy did a brief stint in the peacetime Marine Corps during the '80s.

If he is a "military leader," every guy who ever put on a uniform is a "military leader."

BTW, it isn't just "Obama and the Democrats" who think the DADT policy should end, there are plenty of Republicans and libertarians who feel the same way, including me (Libertarian and military veteran with a HELL of a lot more service time than "military leader Tony Perkins.")

Depressed Liberator
12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
whatta buiilshiiiet

oyarde
12-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Military leader?

The guy did a brief stint in the peacetime Marine Corps during the '80s.

If he is a "military leader," every guy who ever put on a uniform is a "military leader."

BTW, it isn't just "Obama and the Democrats" who think the DADT policy should end, there are plenty of Republicans and libertarians who feel the same way, including me (Libertarian and military veteran with a HELL of a lot more service time than "military leader Tony Perkins.")

Should I know who Perkins is ?

BuddyRey
12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Isn't Tony Perkins that guy from the movie Psycho who dressed in drag and pretended to be his own mother?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

lester1/2jr
12-07-2010, 05:03 PM
"The presence of openly serving gays in the military will be so offensive that many Americans will not be willing to serve their country,"

good

gls
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I've always wondered why Vietnam era draft dodgers didn't fake being gay as opposed to running off to Canada? I mean I know that never worked for Klinger, but that was just TV right?

LOL, I'd be willing to bet some did. Arlo Guthrie (who endorsed Ron Paul btw) alluded to this in Alice's Restaurant:

just walk in say "Shrink, You can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both ******s and they won't take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization.

Most people would probably rather just leave a country that would send them off to die in some godforsaken jungle for no reason than pretend to be someone they're not, though.

ChaosControl
12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
If anything military recruitment will go up since gays won't have to fear getting kicked out.

Oh maybe 1/10 of 1% of people might decide to not re-enlist, but that number will be offset easily enough.

I personally think people should keep their private life private, but just because it happens to get out doesn't mean someone should be kicked out. Even if I disagree with their lifestyle.

oyarde
12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
LOL, I'd be willing to bet some did. Arlo Guthrie (who endorsed Ron Paul btw) alluded to this in Alice's Restaurant:

Most people would probably rather just leave a country that would send them off to die in some godforsaken jungle for no reason than pretend to be someone they're not, though.

When I was in high school , Alices Restaraunt was Thanksgiving tradition after getting home from morning hunting .

libertarian4321
12-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Should I know who Perkins is ?

You probably should if you don't want America to be come a neocon theocracy.

He's the current head of the right wing religio d-bag organization started by James Dobson- trying to bring the Taliban to America- yay!

oyarde
12-09-2010, 07:44 PM
You probably should if you don't want America to be come a neocon theocracy.

He's the current head of the right wing religio d-bag organization started by James Dobson- trying to bring the Taliban to America- yay!

Well , looks like he is against gay marriage , half the country probably is .

Agorism
12-30-2010, 07:34 AM
bump this. Tony Perkins is now threatening to boycott CPAC 2011 even though FRC has not participated in over 10 years.

RonPaulMania
12-30-2010, 07:46 AM
If anything military recruitment will go up since gays won't have to fear getting kicked out.

Oh maybe 1/10 of 1% of people might decide to not re-enlist, but that number will be offset easily enough.

I personally think people should keep their private life private, but just because it happens to get out doesn't mean someone should be kicked out. Even if I disagree with their lifestyle.

Your wrong on this big time. All of my friends in the military are getting out. Just about every one of them. If you think a very small number of the whole (*****) are going to replace that you should realize your #s and beliefs are naive at best.

You should also believe that men should be able to live and shower with women in the military as well. Again, you don't realize the consequences of ***** in the military. Normal straight guys will be hit on.

Also the idea that lifestyle means nothing in relation to culture forgets that every major civilization which accepted homosexuality had a short life span after the fact. It wasn't homosexuality that was the cause, that would be short-sighted, but the moral decadence that is accompanied by it.

As Aristotle wisely said, "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying civilization."

Agorism
12-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Your wrong on this big time. All of my friends in the military are getting out. Just about every one of them. If you think a very small number of the whole (*****) are going to replace that you should realize your #s and beliefs are naive at best.

...GOOD.

We don't want anyone replacing them.

Not that I buy your argument anyways. I doubt very many care whether gays are in the military.

I also support quotas for gay, lesbians, transgenders in the military leadership (just because it will be awesome.)

Cowlesy
12-30-2010, 07:56 AM
I wish the Family Research Council would get back to researching families and not saying ridiculous stuff.

Agorism
12-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Family Research Council generates 95% of the complaints to the FCC.

They spend their time complaining about episodes of South Park and Family Guy usually to no avail since no one cares.

libertarian4321
12-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I wish the Family Research Council would get back to researching families and not saying ridiculous stuff.

I don't think I've ever heard anything come out of the FRC that wasn't ridiculous. Ridiculous is what they do best.

RonPaulMania
12-30-2010, 07:59 AM
...GOOD.

We don't want anyone replacing them.

Not that I buy your argument anyways. I doubt very many care whether gays are in the military.

I also support quotas for gay, lesbians, transgenders in the military leadership (just because it will be awesome.)

I don't want anyone replacing them either, so I'm with you on that.

And if you don't think the majority of soldiers are straight guys who think ***** are perverted, or minimally weird, then I don't know what to tell you, or if you've seen the average soldier as most come from dye-in-the-wool conservative houses who are also conservative morally.

But having homosexuals quotas is a perversion of culture, morality, sound ethics, and psychology. You won't agree with me and I won't agree with you because fundamentally I'm a moderate realist philosophically who believes in the natural law, and you just have a world view based on things I wouldn't care to postulate as it would just be insulting to you and I don't want to do so as we are being civil.

libertarian4321
12-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Family Research Council generates 95% of the complaints to the FCC.

They spend their time complaining about episodes of South Park and Family Guy usually to no avail since no one cares.

Don't forget wrestling and MMA- evils that will destroy your children if Cartman and Stewie fail!

jmdrake
12-30-2010, 08:01 AM
You know, if we went back to the founding father's vision of having militias instead of standing armies none of this would be a problem. Just sayin.

pcosmar
12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
You know, if we went back to the founding father's vision of having militias instead of standing armies none of this would be a problem. Just sayin.

:eek:
You used the "M" word.
Don't you know the whole point of the OKC bombing was to convince the brainless masses that militias are evil.
:(

Wesker1982
12-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Isn't Tony Perkins that guy from the movie Psycho who dressed in drag and pretended to be his own mother?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You are probably thinking of Tony Perkis

http://johnstamosfever.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/uncle-tony1.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH62Jd5qCj0&feature=related

RM918
12-30-2010, 12:02 PM

You should also believe that men should be able to live and shower with women in the military as well. Again, you don't realize the consequences of ***** in the military. Normal straight guys will be hit on.

Also the idea that lifestyle means nothing in relation to culture forgets that every major civilization which accepted homosexuality had a short life span after the fact. It wasn't homosexuality that was the cause, that would be short-sighted, but the moral decadence that is accompanied by it.

As Aristotle wisely said, "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying civilization."

Just for being hit on? Really? They'd quit JUST for that?

Just come down equally on rules. What would happen if someone instigated unwanted sexual advances on a woman in a shower room? Punish them the same way, which is hopefully better than they do in prison. Gay people are not extremely horny caricatured things that will leap on anything they can get their hands on.

Pericles
12-30-2010, 03:54 PM

There would be much less foreign adventures and a war would have to have the support of much of the country, as average citizens would be fighting it.