PDA

View Full Version : Commodities: Should I buy silver OR shares in silver companies?

JohnEngland
11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Should I buy silver OR shares in silver companies?

Unsure of which is the best strategy. I suppose it's more expensive to buy shares than to buy silver. Plus, you can't use shares as currency in the event of a big collapse... I suppose.

Hmm, really unsure of how it all plays out.

Buy silver? Or invest in silver companies? Which is best?! :confused:

limerickman
11-18-2010, 05:59 PM
good question id also like to know the advantages of owning miners stocks considering that capital gains tax will have to be paid on stocks but not on metals. Im sure poeple understand the risks with owning stocks but in general do people think miner stocks will outperform the metals by say 2 to 1? just looking for a ball park ratio.

dannno
11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Both :confused:

Dr.3D
11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
good question id also like to know the advantages of owning miners stocks considering that capital gains tax will have to be paid on stocks but not on metals. Im sure poeple understand the risks with owning stocks but in general do people think miner stocks will outperform the metals by say 2 to 1? just looking for a ball park ratio.

Did they change the requirement of paying capital gains tax on metals?
Thought one had to pay CGT on metals.

ivflight
11-18-2010, 06:15 PM
I thought people had to pay collectables tax on pm's. This would be like double the rate on long term capital gains.

cubical
11-18-2010, 08:39 PM
I would buy some physical first, then buy the miners.

JasonC
11-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Captain Hindsight says that you should have bought SLW after the big 08' correction and sold it last week.

ctiger2
11-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Make sure you have 6mo of food first. Priorities! You can't eat silver...

Mike4Freedom
11-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Buy mining stocks and physical.

andymillette
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM
You really have to ask yourself what is your motivation for owning precious metals and/or shares. Are you merely speculating on the drop of fiat currency? Are you trying to leverage yourself? are you looking for insurance? Are you looking to hedge something?

I would first address the insurance issue against worst case situations. Gold and silver (bullion) are money. After you address this, I use an allocation (a small one) to invest in different hard asset companies, and I am diversified with these companies: some juniors, some producers, some large cap, etc...

The advantage of the companies is that they are typically leveraged to the underlying asset; meaning, if silver goes up, the companies (generally speaking) go up more.

Now, keep in mind, precious metal companies (especially the juniors) are highly volatile. You have to be able to stomach a 20% drop (or more) in a matter of days.

Just my 2 cents.

Andy

Arklatex
11-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Do both, in the end though all you want is Physical!

http://www.financialsense.com/node/2196

libertybrewcity
11-19-2010, 07:29 PM
day trade SLV!!!