PDA

View Full Version : Checkin up on a new coin dealer

ivflight
11-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I've been watching pm prices for about a year and a half and am starting to wish I had gotten off my butt and done some purchasing. Today I visited a local coin shop to check out their stuff. Before then I had never even touched gold or silver.

I thought they would be very protective of their stuff (I even rolled up my sleeves when I sat down). The whisky-haired owner wasn't shy about setting out about $10k in coins in front of me while he went back to storage to grab some more. I was somewhat disappointed to see that he didn't have anything uncirculated, and pretty much all of the silver was tarnished in some way (not like the super-shiny stuff I see on apmex). The owner explained some things to me (I didn't even know that almost all gold coins were 22 karats).

Anyways, I just wanted to ask what the safest approach is with coin shops. I plan to bring in my own scales, calipers, and maybe a graduated cylinder to measure mass & density. Are there any questions/requests I should be making before buying? Any types of gold/silver I should avoid/seek?

Thanks!

ivflight
11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
I forgot: should I request that the spot price be multiplied by the actual weight of the coin at time of sale? I'm worried that his circulated coins will have lost some mass, but I don't want to piss him off by being too much of a stickler.

cubical
11-18-2010, 05:29 PM
american eagles are .999 gold if I am not mistaken. as are most popular coin bullion.

ivflight
11-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Wiki says American Eagles are 22 karats. Same with Krugerrand's, which I think are pretty popular.

the count
11-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I've been watching pm prices for about a year and a half and am starting to wish I had gotten off my butt and done some purchasing. Today I visited a local coin shop to check out their stuff. Before then I had never even touched gold or silver.

I thought they would be very protective of their stuff (I even rolled up my sleeves when I sat down). The whisky-haired owner wasn't shy about setting out about $10k in coins in front of me while he went back to storage to grab some more. I was somewhat disappointed to see that he didn't have anything uncirculated, and pretty much all of the silver was tarnished in some way (not like the super-shiny stuff I see on apmex). The owner explained some things to me (I didn't even know that almost all gold coins were 22 karats).

Anyways, I just wanted to ask what the safest approach is with coin shops. I plan to bring in my own scales, calipers, and maybe a graduated cylinder to measure mass & density. Are there any questions/requests I should be making before buying? Any types of gold/silver I should avoid/seek?

Thanks!

Check this place out. I have bought there once in a while. Right now they have a pretty good deal for junk silver: $19.49 per face $1 value. So $10 silver is 194.00 at the moment. Exactly what i just bought, and for some reason, no S&H charge.
Others dealer are charging over $210 for the same thing.

http://www.collectons.com/shop/item/8669/90-US-Silver-Coins-Pre-1965-1-Face-Value-Lots

specsaregood
11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
american eagles are .999 gold if I am not mistaken. as are most popular coin bullion.

You are mistaken.

Bruno
11-18-2010, 06:18 PM

silver, not gold

cubical
11-18-2010, 08:48 PM
ah ok, just silver.