PDA

View Full Version : How can we dampen the negative effect of Nov 5th?

Zack
10-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Maybe I didn't make this clear enough when I posted this. Everyone here is trying to help this campaign. Whether they agree with me or disagree with me.

This thread was not made to continue debates from other threads. If it was, then people would be right in claiming that I'm "picking at scabs". I've noticed that between 1/5 and 1/3 of the people in the other threads share the frustration of being rather upset that this Nov 5th business will hurt that campaign which we all want to help. Soooo I made a thread for those in that minority opinion to consider ways to help the campaign in this regard, without convincing the majority that they're misguided (which I don't think is likely without some official word from HQ).

But what you see, if you read the replys, is a hand full of constructive comments that I agree with, maybe 3 or 4 constructive comments that I disagree with, BUT are at least on the topic of the thread (for example, people giving the opinion that we should promote Nov 5th even more massively, but with no V/Fawkes refrences, in order to drown out the initial videos and blogs)... and LOADS of people either telling me to shut the f__k up for not marching in line with their groupthink, or telling me that I'm "picking at scabs" or flooding the forum with like minded threads. Those people probably only did a speed-read of my original post, since as I've said, this is a different thread topic, and not made to continue debates from other threads.

Two things I take forgranted: A lot of people will donate on Nov 5th (too late to stop), and ANY media attention these donations get will have a negative effect on the campaign. Whether it's a small negative effect or large negative effect, we can still change. Hopefully.

The only thing that would really stop Nov 5th is an official statement from the Paul campaign. The sad thing is that this thing is SOOO radioactive that the campaign can't even acknowledge it, for the purpose of bringing it down (but I presume they're not too happy about it). Already, TWO WEEKS OUT, there has been a negative report on this, albeit from a psycho chick... it's a psycho chick that gets on Fox news and talks to Republican primary voters. :(

That's why the reaction a lot of us had when we heard the news of a V/Guy Fawkes insipred donation day, was something like this:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6319/picardqi7.jpg

First off, ANY media attention this fundraiser will get will include a reference to Guy Fawkes/V. 100%. Even if every Ron Paul supporter stopped all the references today, and all the V-mask type youtube videos were taken down this second. It wouldn't matter. The MSM aren't that stupid. They know that's the point of choosing this day.

Still, one thing we can do to dampen the negative effect of Nov 5th, is to do just that. Get rid of all the V/Fawkes references/videos. It might help a little bit.

The second thing we can do, is make sure we don't donate on that day (for those of us that know it's a bad idea). Not even on accident by forgeting it was Nov 5th. Mark your calendars: No donations that day.

The third thing we can do to dampen the negative effect is to lower the profile of the event. Down-rate related youtube videos. DO NOT comment on youtube videos (not even negative comments). Bury these Digg stories:

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_on_the_5th_of_November

http://digg.com/videos/educational/Ron_Paul_Spread_the_word_November_5th

and especially:

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_Spammers_Needed_Historic_Mass_Donation_Da y_We_CAN_Do_This

Any other ideas on how to stop this event (and other similiarly good natured, misguided events in the future) from killing this campaign of freedom?

steph3n
10-20-2007, 02:09 PM
STOP OPENING NEW THREADS ABOUT IT

Sorry to shout but just stop it!

Zack
10-20-2007, 02:15 PM

Actually, I did look for a similiar thread (any threads made for people to discuss ways to dampen the Nov 5th effect) before I posted. Sorry if there have already been any, but I don't think there have been.

steph3n
10-20-2007, 02:16 PM
There are no less than 5 of them.

jaumen
10-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Really, for the love of God just give it a rest already.

speciallyblend
10-20-2007, 02:18 PM

well put

davidhperry
10-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Will someone please answer me this?!

Why is it so important to reference V for Vendetta? What value does that bring to the effort? Why can't it be a day where we all coordinate to donate a massive amount of money for the campaign?

I don't get what value the movie thing adds. Since it seems to be bothering some people and giving ammo to the critics, shouldn't it be removed?

constituent
10-20-2007, 02:19 PM
actually, this is the right kind of thread to make. this is different. not pro or con, what do we do to handle the blowback?

different situation altogether. even the people participating in the donation drive can admit that the press will spin this negatively (any excuse, we all know this). whether no news is good news or all press is good press is not what we're arguing here.

this thread pertains to people who are concerned w/ the negative "blowback" and how to deal with it.

if you don't care or disagree, state this fact (to yourself) and move on.

steph3n
10-20-2007, 02:20 PM
it is a celebration of Susan B Anthony, I joined the effort because of this now :D

me3
We can't manage blowback. That's interventionism. ;)

Just stay focused on fund raising and getting delegates. Trying to manage negative spin is a zero profit proposition.

jaumen

Why is it so important to reference V for Vendetta? What value does that bring to the effort? Why can't it be a day where we all coordinate to donate a massive amount of money for the campaign?

WHO CARES. Let people do what they want. Stop the freaking whining and drama.

jake

The "V for Vendetta" references are harmful and poisonous. absolute stupidity imo.

constituent
10-20-2007, 02:21 PM
^not the issue. take it somewhere else.

Jordan
10-20-2007, 02:22 PM
There is no reason to damper anything.

If any candidate can raise $500,000 on one day, they're top tier. If Ron Paul does it, the press will be positive regardless.

Why dont we just chill?

jaumen
The "V for Vendetta" references are harmful and poisonous. absolute stupidity imo.

And everyone is aware that you and other people on this forum think so. Now can we move on with our lives?

dircha
For starters, you can stop #@$*ing about it on the forums and get out there and mobilize more supporters.

We have no chance of being competitive for the nomination unless we can mobilize core supporters nationwide to spread the message at the grassroots level and expand our financial support base.

We are fast approaching the time where desperate measures like the 5th of November event will be our only hope.

So unless you can come up with something better - and I haven't seen anything yet - I suggest you give it a rest.

Zack
10-20-2007, 02:23 PM
There are no less than 5 of them.

More than 5, but THOSE are posts about either

A) specific ways to support the fundraiser

or

B) discussion about whether we should have the fundraiser on that day/at all

but not

C) specific ways to dampen the negative effect it will have.

Those are three distinct thread topics. I've seen a few A's, even more B's, but no C's yet. Maybe there are some buried from a while back I haven't seen, but if so, they're pretty buried anyway.

davidhperry
10-20-2007, 02:23 PM
WHO CARES. Let people do what they want. Stop the freaking whining and drama.

Ok, chill. I don't care. But I am wondering why this has been elevated to this level. Wouldn't removing the movie tie-in but keeping the rest solve all the problems?

constituent
10-20-2007, 02:24 PM
i'm w/ me3 on this one, truth be told.

silence is the best damage control, but some will disagree and that is their choice.

jake
10-20-2007, 02:25 PM
people are free to debate the tactics of fundraising efforts.
I support the premise of the "moneybomb" but the whole 'V' angle is very weak, it's cannon fodder for the media if this really takes off.
roll on Nov. 5th. :)

constituent
10-20-2007, 02:25 PM
i wish the pro vs. con on the V dolts would get lost though

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Just... STFU and encourage those raising money for Dr. Paul with a damn good idea. When are some of you going to realize, Ron Paul embraces all?

tfelice
10-20-2007, 02:41 PM
As I said earlier today, the grassroots is either going to get Paul elected, or kill his chances. The more I read these forums, the more I am thinking the latter.

Kandilynn
10-20-2007, 02:43 PM
You could get everyone who has a problem with the V idea to donate on the 4th and the 6th of November. Then it would be a three day spike in donations, which is way cooler than a one day spike.

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 02:43 PM
As I said earlier today, the grassroots is either going to get Paul elected, or kill his chances. The more I read these forums, the more I am thinking the latter.

The Republican Party sure as hell ain't going to get him elected!

literatim
10-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Just... STFU and encourage those raising money for Dr. Paul with a damn good idea. When are some of you going to realize, Ron Paul embraces all?

So you think Ron Paul, who is very much against aggression, wants his supporters to use an aggressive character as center of a fund raising push?

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 02:45 PM
You drama queens are getting annoying. Stop over analyzing everything. I am seeing way too many people posting here about how the campaign is screwing something up or how 9/11 truth people are going to ruin us, etc, etc...

Hearing all this negativity is NOT helpful!

Stop your whining.

No, I am not a "9/11 truther" but I do think there is plenty of room under the Ron Paul tent for them as there is for many other similar "fringe" groups you may not approve of.

BTW, I Dugg all the stories you told us to bury. Get a life and stop nitpicking. You are hurting the movement more than the people who are getting behind the Nov. 5th idea.

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 02:46 PM

The grassroots got him where he is now! You people are incredible. :mad:

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 02:48 PM
So you think Ron Paul, who is very much against aggression, wants his supporters to use an aggressive character as center of a fund raising push?

We aren't blowing shit up on November 5th. We're donating money. WTF?

r3volution
10-20-2007, 02:50 PM
i like turtles !

literatim
10-20-2007, 02:52 PM

Do you really believe Guy Fawkes is an ideal historical figure to represent the views of Ron Paul?

tfelice
10-20-2007, 02:53 PM
The Republican Party sure as hell ain't going to get him elected!

And a group of kids obsessing over a third rate movie aren't either.

Funny how people that are thinking pragmatically about this are told to "STFU" and are called "drama queens". Nice decorum there.

As large as Paul's internet/grassroots support is, we still need a sizeable portion of average Americans to support him. Giving the MSM ammo to continue to paint Dr. Paul as a fringe candidate with fringe supporters doesn't help endear us to the average American that we desperately need.

For Dr. Paul's sake, I hope the November 5 crowd fail in their efforts.

NewEnd
Ah gawt a toad en ma shuue!

Drknows
i like turtles !

haha QFT!

HEY YOU GUYS SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS BAD ASS CLOCK I MADE.
http://www.swfup.com/uploads/swf-38546.swf
embed it on your blogs and sites.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.swfup.com/uploads/swf-38546.swf" width="400" height="120" class="file_border">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.swfup.com/uploads/swf-38546.swf" />
</object>

Kacela
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlPK8rrynE Back to the Constitution day is better.

Ozwest

What was the American Revolution? How many "aggressive character" types can you spot? What a ridiculous statement! Being a whimp and cow-towing to the media, doesn't seem to have done much for the Republic as it stands.

Energy
10-20-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm donating at least $100 on Nov 5. It's early enough to make a huge impact and keep the momentum going. No need to wait. The potential of raising $10,000,000 or even half that will be a positive thing for the campaign.

About http://thisnovember5th.com the text is fine. I think the choice of videos need to be changed. One video has this disturbing-looking image of protesters in costumes (won't go well with the older generation):

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7884/img251ih6.jpg

tfelice
10-20-2007, 02:56 PM
What was the American Revolution? How many "aggressive character" types can you spot? What a ridiculous statement! Being a whimp and cow-towing to the media, doesn't seem to have done much for the Republic as it stands.

You just don't get it do you? We are not "cow-towing to the media". We are just aware of the fact that we don't control the media. It's their sandbox we are playing in, we need to make sure that we don't give them any ammo to use against us.

American

When did we shelf the blowing up shit part? Damn, you guys are no fun.....LOL....:D

I like the idea still, I wish that people would stop making threads about it though.

misconstrued
Do you really believe Guy Fawkes is an ideal historical figure to represent the views of Ron Paul?

Did I say that? If it motivates people to donate then why not? Fact is a lot of Ron Paul supporters, myself included, are fans of that movie. Does it mean we advocate blowing up shit? Absolutely not.

Besides... if you have a better idea start your own gimmick. I'll support you as well.

Zack

Nice language. There are a fair amount of people on here that believe that the Nov 5th thing can only have a negative effect. Whether large or small. There are other people who think it might not be totally negative, but that the choosing of Nov 5th as the fundraising day, will make the whole thing something of a wash.

I wasn't trying to start a discussion on whether or not they're right. Because, as others have pointed out, there are LOTS of other threads to discuss that. If YOU, or other people, want to bring that debate to this thread, that's ON YOU. I was just trying to preach to the choir. To do a very small bit of mobilizing on how (we think) we can help the campaign.

NewEnd
10-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey, how about we just flame and troll some more! That should do it!

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 02:57 PM
You just don't get it do you? We are not "cow-towing to the media". We are just aware of the fact that we don't control the media. It's their sandbox we are playing in, we need to make sure that we don't give them any ammo to use against us.

Walking on egg shells and questioning how any action we take may be perceived by the media and/or general populace is suicide for this campaign.

Spanish for Ron
10-20-2007, 03:00 PM
I copy what I said in another thread:

"The way I see it:

It has spread, and people are going to donate on november 5th. I too think this is a problem because of the theme. But it's gonna happen.

So the only way to prevent the association with V, for those who have problems, is to start opening new webs and creating more vids based on movies (like back to the future), historical facts, etc. so the V thing is just one in a bunch.

I really think this is the only way. Multiple webs, multiple well-done vids about different themes. So start doing it, now"

Really, guys, this is the way. Because of this reasons:

1- It will appeal to everyone. Themes about the right to vote for women (appealing to women), about back to the future (for the 'not so agressive' people) etc etc.

2 - The media will get LOST. They won't be able to attack based on the V thing because there will be so many themes.

V is great inspiration, it has given this date its meaning. But now it's the moment to appeal to everyone. Seriously, something like ten good websites, ten good youtubes, proffesionally made, and this will be unstopable.

literatim
10-20-2007, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlPK8rrynE Back to the Constitution day is better.

Hilarious.

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Zack... Nice language? Pleeeease! Give me a break.

NewEnd
10-20-2007, 03:01 PM
I think we should stop talking about walking right out of Iraq.... alot of people will be offended

We definitely should not talk about abolishing the Fed... nobody cares about the Fed, and it just makes us look like conspiracy kooks

Qut talking about the N.A.U. makes everyone look like a truther.

And for gods sake, lower taxes, in a time of war!!!?? I'm sorry, Americans just aren't going to go for that.

Disband the department of Homeland secuurity? Most Americans will think that's crazy, the MSM will eat us alive.

Lets instead focus on issues of non substance, like what a handful of supporters are wearing, or whether the rEVOLution signs are tacky.

In fact, I hope a massive fundraising push fails, just so I can win a flame war on a forum.

American
10-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Im thinking of making a post called "Rob a bank for Ron Paul" I think it would be the most cost effective way to raise more money for the campaign. What do you think?

You guys are to much, I'm certain the only ones making this into a big deal is YOU FOOLS!!!!!

RevolutionSD
10-20-2007, 03:02 PM
WHO THE F CARES WHAT THE MEDIA SAYS?????????

The November 5th day will raise LOTS of money for RP.
If it was inspired by a movie, SO WHAT?
It's just a good excuse to donate money.
The media can say whatever they want. Do you REALLY think that if Fox News ridicules RP for raising a boatload of money because of V that anyone will jump off the bandwagon, or it will deter potential new voters??

If anything, many americans will think it's COOL that we did this, and that it's related to V. If anything, we will not only raise a lot more money, we will pick up thousands of new voters because of this!

Give it a rest! If you don't want to donate on the 5th, donate on the 4th. Don't come in here telling everyone else what to do, this is a libertarian society, we don't do that!!! :)

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 03:03 PM
And a group of kids obsessing over a third rate movie aren't either.

Funny how people that are thinking pragmatically about this are told to "STFU" and are called "drama queens". Nice decorum there.

As large as Paul's internet/grassroots support is, we still need a sizeable portion of average Americans to support him. Giving the MSM ammo to continue to paint Dr. Paul as a fringe candidate with fringe supporters doesn't help endear us to the average American that we desperately need.

For Dr. Paul's sake, I hope the November 5 crowd fail in their efforts.

Have you ever been accused of being a control freak? No offense, but you really come off this way. As for giving the MSM ammo I think Ron Paul does gives them plenty already by advocating the things he advocates (which I happen to agree with him on)...

NewEnd
I copy what I said in another thread:

"The way I see it:

It has spread, and people are going to donate on november 5th. I too think this is a problem because of the theme. But it's gonna happen.

So the only way to prevent the association with V, for those who have problems, is to start opening new webs and creating more vids based on movies (like back to the future), historical facts, etc. so the V thing is just one in a bunch.

I really think this is the only way. Multiple webs, multiple well-done vids about different themes. So start doing it, now"

Really, guys, this is the way. Because of this reasons:

1- It will appeal to everyone. Themes about the right to vote for women (appealing to women), about back to the future (for the 'not so agressive' people) etc etc.

2 - The media will get LOST. They won't be able to attack based on the V thing because there will be so many themes.

V is great inspiration, it has given this date its meaning. But now it's the moment to appeal to everyone. Seriously, something like ten good websites, ten good youtubes, proffesionally made, and this will be unstopable.

This is some jumpkick flying out of the box kung fu thinking

Drknows
I think we should stop talking about walking right out of Iraq.... alot of people will be offended

We definitely should not talk about abolishing the Fed... nobody cares about the Fed, and it just makes us look like conspiracy kooks

And for gods sake, lower taxes, in a time of war!!!?? I'm sorry, Americans just aren't going to go for that.

Disband the department of Homeland secuurity? Most Americans will think that's crazy, the MSM will eat us alive.

Lets instead focus on issues of non substance, like what a handful of supporters are wearing, or whether the rEVOLution signs are tacky.

In fact, I hope a massive fundraising push fails, just so I can win a flame war on a forum.

Yes i think we should all grow sideburns so we can look like Mitt Romney.

tfelice
Walking on egg shells and questioning how any action we take may be perceived by the media and/or general populace is suicide for this campaign.

It's time you woke up to reality. The media will use every opportunity to paint the campaign as a fringe movement. Don't give them any reason to do so. In a political campaign, especially a national one, every action taken needs to be done so with the awareness of the effect it will have in the media.

This is not about compromising principles or changing strategy. What it boils down to is a handful of kids obsessed over some third-rate movie that aren't willing to think pragmatically.

Go ahead and have your little movie influenced drive. But, don't come crying here if the MSM slaughters the campaign over it.

RevolutionSD
10-20-2007, 03:04 PM

EXCELLENT post. GREAT points.

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Im thinking of making a post called "Rob a bank for Ron Paul" I think it would be the most cost effective way to raise more money for the campaign. What do you think?

Armaments... We need armaments!

NewEnd
10-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Go ahead and have your little movie influenced drive. But, don't come crying here if the MSM slaughters the campaign over it.

Yeah, negativity on these forums was sooo, like six months ago.

Get with the times, man, any fundraising push is a positive... especially one that is going to raise at least a half-million in one day.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 03:06 PM
WHO THE F CARES WHAT THE MEDIA SAYS?????????

The millions of people who use the MSM as their primary news source. You know all those people we need as Ron Paul supporters.

partypooper
10-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Did I say that? If it motivates people to donate then why not?

because for every person it motivates to donate there comes 1000 people it turns-off forever from giving dr paul serious consideration. many of them are intelligent people otherwise willing to listen to serious arguments.

you forget that the money raised is just means to an end - the end being the support for dr paul by the whole country. no money you collect will help if 60% of the population think dr paul is a dangerous radical.

the campaign spent $500,000 trying to portray dr paul as a wholesome, ordinary guy that he really is. say nov 5 turns out to be as successful as you hope (which i don't thnink will happen) and you raise $500,000 - the campaign might end up spending another million of our money on colorless ads just to compensate for the impression that dr paul is a terrorist (???!!!) - that impression being created by your "successful" fundraising effort. sometime raising money is really losing money.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah, negativity on these forums was sooo, like six months ago.

Get with the times, man, any fundraising push is a positive... especially one that is going to raise at least a half-million in one day.

Yeah, like ok man I'll do that.

I'll leave you kids to your fun. As I said before, I just hope your actions don't wind up hurting the campaign, because in the 20 years I have been involved in politics, I have not seen a campaign rise as this one has. Be aware though, that those that oppose us will do everything they can to stop us, and find every opprtunity to do so. I have seen it happen far too many times, and no amount of MySpace friends or YouTube subscribers can stop that.

Tenbatsu
10-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Together we stand. Divided we fall.

Zack
10-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Zack... Nice language? Pleeeease! Give me a break.

I withhold said break.

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 03:10 PM
It's time you woke up to reality. The media will use every opportunity to paint the campaign as a fringe movement. Don't give them any reason to do so. In a political campaign, especially a national one, every action taken needs to be done so with the awareness of the effect it will have in the media.

This is not about compromising principles or changing strategy. What it boils down to is a handful of kids obsessed over some third-rate movie that aren't willing to think pragmatically.

I'm wide awake here and looking at this very realistically when I tell you that you're wrong. What it boils down to is a group of very passionate Ron Paul supporters coming up with a creative idea to help raise money for the campaign. It's a Ron Paul obsession more so than a movie obsession.

If you don't like what they are doing then come up with your own idea!

NewEnd
10-20-2007, 03:13 PM
make soem websites people!!

1831 - Nat Turner, American slave leader, is tried, convicted, and sentenced to death.

November 5 is Nat Turner, slave rebel, memorial day

1862 - American Civil War: Abraham Lincoln removes George B. McClellan as commander of the Union Army for the second and final time.

November 5 is removal of innefective leader day

1872 - Women's suffrage: In defiance of the law, suffragist Susan B. Anthony votes for the first time, and is later fined $100.

November 5 is protest voter day

1916 - The Everett Massacre takes place as political differences lead to a shoot-out between IWW organizers and local police

Novemebr 5 is Everett Massacre Memorial day

DeadheadForPaul
10-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm wide awake here and looking at this very realistically when I tell you that you're wrong. What it boils down to is a group of very passionate Ron Paul supporters coming up with a creative idea to help raise money for the campaign. It's a Ron Paul obsession more so than a movie obsession.

If it's a Ron Paul obsession, why are you willing to damage the reputation of his campaign in order for you to promote some unknown movie which references the actions of a theocratic terrorist and involves a mask-wearing domestic terrorist?

tfelice
10-20-2007, 03:15 PM

That's all well and good, but again you fail to consider how the MSM can spin this against the campaign. I know you don't care what they say, but there are millions that do.

It's already been discussed - Veterans Day. It coincides with the Philly Rally and is a day set aside to remember those that have fought for this country.

CurtisLow
10-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Anyway to make money for the campaign I am all for it. I will be one of the RP supporters that will be giving $100 now and $100 on Nov 5th

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 03:16 PM

I'll leave you kids to your fun. As I said before, I just hope your actions don't wind up hurting the campaign, because in the 20 years I have been involved in politics, I have not seen a campaign rise as this one has. Be aware though, that those that oppose us will do everything they can to stop us, and find every opprtunity to do so. I have seen it happen far too many times, and no amount of MySpace friends or YouTube subscribers can stop that.

We're all on the same side here. This is a generational thing. Focus your concern on issues that are much more likely to cause us problems like states moving up and closing primaries.

You focus on getting the old people on board and we won't judge your tactics. We'll handle the kids :)

tfelice
10-20-2007, 03:16 PM
To the above post I will say that the younger generation should learn from their elders. Many of us have been through more political campaigns that we can count. You would all do well to learn from our successes and failures.

I've said my peace. Good luck to you all. Just remember that your actions have consequences, be prepared for them

Zack
10-20-2007, 03:17 PM

I don't think that the majority of people who are in favor of the Nov 5th deal are doing it to serve their ego. I think they want TO HELP the campaign. Just as those who are trying to shrink its size (and effect) are trying to HELP, but I guess you don't think that. I guess we just want to win... *ahem*.. "flame wars", and to hell with freedom. Yup, you got my number, alright.

NewEnd
10-20-2007, 03:17 PM

500,000 - 700,000 will last alot longer than some lame attempt at a hit piece by the media. In case you haven't noticed, they have been launching hit pieces at us the whole time.

And Schwarzenegger was a porn star, starred in a movie where he thrashed a woman because she made fun of him being a body builder, said "cum" and "cumming" about 10 times in an interview, did tons of ultra-violent movies....

... had accusations of groping women, and yet, he won with 66%.

Chances are Brittney spears will drop her baby on it's head Novemebr 5th, and the whole fundraising story will not even make the news.

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 03:18 PM
If it's a Ron Paul obsession, why are you willing to damage the reputation of his campaign in order for you to promote some unknown movie which references the actions of a theocratic terrorist and involves a mask-wearing domestic terrorist?

Yeah, we're doing it to promote a movie :rolleyes:

terlinguatx
10-20-2007, 03:19 PM

Ozwest

Don't refer to others as "kids" because you disagree with them. And don't put on a fascade with the claim that you've been "involved in politics for 20 years". Guess what Bucko, Ron Paul may be on fire because he appeals to the "fringe dwellers". The new silent majority (not).

NewEnd
I've said my peace. Good luck to you all. Just remember that your actions have consequences, be prepared for them

I've been here a while, and heard plenty of naysayers at every little thread and button telling me the suit would fall apart. It has only gotten stronger.

This too, will pass unnoticed.

And I will be giving my $100.... and I have never even seen the stupid movie.

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 03:21 PM
It's already been discussed - Veterans Day. It coincides with the Philly Rally and is a day set aside to remember those that have fought for this country.

Start a thread or a website on Veterans Day and I'll get some money thrown in for the cause one way or another. I've donated the legal limit already, but I'll loan/give out money to friends/family for this... I'm on board with your idea.

Spanish for Ron
10-20-2007, 03:23 PM
If anyone keeps thinking it's possible to change the date, they are dreaming. It's not possible, and I've said I don't think it was good to associate the fundraising with V for Vendetta.

Only one way: if you are someone that doesn't agree with the theme, and have video editing skills, make the must friggin unbelievable vid about the theme you like which has any relationship with that date. I'm sure we can have more fifths of november in historical facts, movies, etc.

And then make other webs or, better, transform thisnovemberfifth.com in a place for those multiple themes.

The media will not be able to attack, all people will be appealed. There's no other way and i sincerely do not know why are you still discussing if the date is OK. It is the date, no way to change that.

TruckinMike
Gee whiz.... I've lost my motivation now. I resend my pledge of $100 on the fifth, beside, i need a new pair of nikes... I wouldn't want to create a media whirlwind!

Listen folks... there are plenty enough kooky stories for the media to get ahold of... whoever started this double thinking about the 5th is only destroying motivation. You are not going to save the campaign from the media.

What we need to be doing is posting permanent signs along the roadsides. And spreading the message. GIVE up on the media helping or hurting... we must inform the public ourselves to hedge the media attacks..Right now all I see is a bunch of paranoid folks that can't get their heads from the BARK and enjoy the forest. Stop thinking so much. Get out and post some signs.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/1357613106_142df3f50d_m.jpg

Truckinmike

stevedasbach
"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference."
--- Serenity Prayer

If you think this is a really bad idea, then donate as much as you can the day before so that there really isn't a "spike" on the 5th. Otherwise, I think we need to accept that those supporting it aren't going to change their minds.

Besides, if the media wants to marginalize us, they already have plenty of material to work with. In the long run, this isn't going to make or break Ron's campaign.

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 03:26 PM
To the above post I will say that the younger generation should learn from their elders. Many of us have been through more political campaigns that we can count. You would all do well to learn from our successes and failures.

Just because we are "young" doesn't mean we're wrong and just because you're "old" doesn't mean you're right.

I appreciate you expressing your opinion and hope you continue to do so in the future, but don't get grumpy if it doesn't change our minds ;)

RevolutionSD
10-20-2007, 03:29 PM
The millions of people who use the MSM as their primary news source. You know all those people we need as Ron Paul supporters.

You took this out of context and didn't read the rest of my post where I talked about what I meant.

RP4ME
10-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Look the more we bring it up teh worse it is.....I have never seen Vendetta - and most RP supporters havent. Teh movies has always been with us....who cares?

The camapign didnt even know about it.....his son did not even know about it whne he was on a conf call with Meet up steh other nite.....they could come upi with worse.....but it sjust not there.....there will be many attcks on his caharcter/campaign coming up - dont sweat it - if he hs mone Paul will travel far. Just donate!

Drknows
10-20-2007, 03:34 PM
How did south park solve the illegal immigration problem? Maybe thats how you guys can dampen the effect of Nov 5th, LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobacks

American
10-20-2007, 03:34 PM
If you really want to "dampen the effects" of Nov 5th, then STFU and leave the forum. How is that, because the only effect I see is countless useless threads about nothing.

There its solved..

CJP
10-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Nov 5th, 2008, is the day after the general election -- they day we learn the results. When Dr. Paul wins ;), it will be the greatest victory for true freedom in America since the Revolution. Imagine the celebration! (Should we start stocking up on fireworks now?)

So take a moment on the 5th to imagine the Republic restored, beginning one year from that day. Donate if you like. Just remember this: A November 5th like this will redefine the meaning of the day ever after.

If you don't like the whole Nov 5th thing, donate on another day, such as the 11th, or better yet: now! We have a shot at a record day today -- why not go for it now?

The primaries are all early. Time is short. We have a little over 7 weeks to New Hampshire. A New Hampshire victory is absolutely critical to a breakthrough in public awareness of Dr. Paul and the freedom message.

Time spent debating the merits of this day or that = time not spent working towards our goal. So stop squabbling and get to work! *THIS * IS * OUR * ONE SHOT *

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 03:36 PM
I reckon all this agro will inspire people to donate. A form of "blowback" to all the grumpy detractors. Watch out!

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I reckon all this agro will inspire people to donate. A form of "blowback" to all the grumpy detractors. Watch out!

I suspect you're right :cool:

Zack
10-20-2007, 03:44 PM
If you really want to "dampen the effects" of Nov 5th, then STFU and leave the forum.

robatsu
10-20-2007, 04:00 PM
If you don't like the V business, ignore it. That's what I'm doing, they don't speak for me and they don't own me. Picking at scabs does no one any good.

A Ron Paul Rebel
10-20-2007, 04:32 PM
This is all too funny!
...Being worried about 'bad press'.

This whole issue will bring far more supporters
(V fans and other rebels) than will it deter
voters from supporting Dr. Paul.

And the best thing we can do is 'NOT BE AFRAID
OT IT'!

You don't have to 'like it', but please quit being
so damn scared of it.

A Ron Paul Rebel

p.s. Any press is good press (they know this)

p.p.s. Good thing no-one mentioned the Matrix movie :cool:

TheIndependent
10-20-2007, 04:34 PM

Breakin' out the Jean Luc!

TheIndependent
10-20-2007, 04:37 PM
p.s. Any press is good press (they know this)

Howard Dean. Proof positive that negative press can sink a campaign within 7 days flat. I would participate in this Nov 5th campaign if it weren't tied to the movie and more of a generalized volunteer effort, but I really can't attach my name to what V stood for (violent overthrow).

PaleoConservative
10-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Well if you watched the movie, how could you not support of a violent over throw of a government that was killing off it's people like that?

Good grief. . ..a violent over-throw of that government was the only way to go about things.

kylejack
10-20-2007, 04:41 PM
I was thinking we could use rendition on the naysayers here in the forums who are writing Michelle Malkin's material for her.

ValidusCustodiae
10-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Boo hoo I don't like the way some Ron Paul supporters are choosing to raise money.

DEAL WITH IT

Boo hoo I don't like the possible reaction the media might have.

SCREW THE MEDIA

Sniff sniff I wish there was some way to force these people not to donate to Ron Paul on the day of their choosing!

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

Kregener
It strikes me that some of you can't get through the day without a sedative.

:rolleyes:

misconstrued
Howard Dean. Proof positive that negative press can sink a campaign within 7 days flat. I would participate in this Nov 5th campaign if it weren't tied to the movie and more of a generalized volunteer effort, but I really can't attach my name to what V stood for (violent overthrow).

That example doesn't illustrate your point. Howard Dean got the bad press because of what he did. A misstep by Ron Paul like that could sink the ship too, but a supporter doing the same would make 0 difference.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 04:45 PM
That example doesn't illustrate your point. Howard Dean got the bad press because of what he did. A misstep by Ron Paul like that could sink the ship too, but a supporter doing the same would make 0 difference.

How about Buchanan in 96 then?

specsaregood
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
There are a lot of pissed off Americans. Seriously.
Let them write articles about a huge day of donations by pissed off voters.

It isn't any way related to the official campaign. The people that talk bad about it are always going to find something negative to say.

On a side note, Adam Curry, the podcaster that will have Ron Paul on his show (wednesday) liked the idea.
Edit: I bet this topic comes up in the interview.

NewEnd
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
It is a comic book movie

a comic..... book..... movie.

it stood for entertainment and hollywood fireballs

I bet tons of neocons loved it because of the fireballs.... I knwo plenty of people who see movies and never understand the meanings, and listen to music, and still haev malformed opionions that disagree with everything that the bands they idolize stand for.

100 times more people in America know who Ron Paul is, over Guy fawkes. Fawke, I had no idea who Guy was until these nov 5th threads. Fawkin A.

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 04:47 PM
How about Buchanan in 96 then?

What happened then? Before my time :)

paulitics
10-20-2007, 04:48 PM

so what is with the condemnation of Ron Paul truthers here and elsewhere than?

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 04:50 PM
so what is with the condemnation of Ron Paul truthers here and elsewhere than?

I may not agree with them, but I haven't condemned them nor will I. Seems to me that if not for them and Alex Jones the campaign wouldn't have gotten off to such a quick start online. Alex Jones had his troops ready to support Ron Paul from day 1.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 04:54 PM
What happened then? Before my time :)

Buchanan won AK, LA & NH. Allegations came out the the co-chair of his campaign attended meetings organized by "white supremacists" and "militia leaders". Charges were never substantiated, but the co-chair resigned nonetheless. The story broke in mid-Feb, Buchanan was done by March. All this happend after Buchanan already had big support and was winning primaries.

Taco John
10-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Two things I take forgranted: A lot of people will donate on Nov 5th (too late to stop), and ANY media attention these donations get will have a negative effect on the campaign.

That's moronic... First of all, nobody is going to report on it. They barely report that we're making any money period. Second, ANY media attention we get from these donations will be positive: we're raising money.

I wish some of you idiots would quit sabotaging our fundraising efforts from the inside. There's nothing wrong with this fundraiser.

Taco John
10-20-2007, 04:57 PM
This campaign is going to cannibalize itself with these jackass internal mommies who want to censor the efforts of people trying to DO something.

How about you instead START YOUR OWN FUNDRAISER instead of putting down the otherwise successful efforts of others.

You guys are completely missing the point of a decentralized campaign. We don't want the government in our lives, and we sure don't want you telling us how we can and can't raise money.

J4ck
10-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Now bad news for some people...the founding fathers were 'terrorists' too. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist, right?
People should calm down and see how this will turn out. It's not linked to the official campaign so don't worry.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 05:03 PM
This campaign is going to cannibalize itself with these jackass internal mommies who want to censor the efforts of people trying to DO something.

How about you instead START YOUR OWN FUNDRAISER instead of putting down the otherwise successful efforts of others.

You guys are completely missing the point of a decentralized campaign. We don't want the government in our lives, and we sure don't want you telling us how we can and can't raise money.

John no one is telling you how to raise money. There are those of us who are have warned of the potential negative coverage the MSM could get from this tying of this movie to a campaign effort.

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 05:11 PM
John no one is telling you how to raise money. There are those of us who are have warned of the potential negative coverage the MSM could get from this tying of this movie to a campaign effort.

Yeah, but some are sounding like the people we're trying to get rid of. Tear out some of the pages from the political playbook!

Taco John
10-20-2007, 05:17 PM

And there are those of us who don't ****ing care what YOU think of it. It inspired me to reach another $100 into my wallet to donate to Dr. Paul.

I don't care about your warnings. They mean nothing but a bunch of mommy censors who think they know how to raise money better than someone else and are doing it by flapping their gums instead of organizing a competing effort.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, but some are sounding like the people we're trying to get rid of. Tear out some of the pages from the political playbook!

The "political playbook" says that if you are going to win the GOP nomination you have to be able to appeal to mainstream voters. A fringe candidate cannot win the nomination. Just listen to the new radio ad, who is the campaign targeting?

tfelice
10-20-2007, 05:18 PM
And there are those of us who don't ****ing care what YOU think of it. It inspired me to reach another $100 into my wallet to donate to Dr. Paul.

I don't care about your warnings. They mean nothing but a bunch of mommy censors who think they know how to raise money better than someone else and are doing it by flapping their gums instead of organizing a competing effort.

Show some class for pete's sake.

American
10-20-2007, 05:19 PM
The "political playbook" says that if you are going to win the GOP nomination you have to be able to appeal to mainstream voters. A fringe candidate cannot win the nomination. Just listen to the new radio ad, who is the campaign targeting?

OK enough of your nonsense, this Nov 5th thing os to raise money to reach the General populous. Get over it and stop wasting everyones time.

Taco John
10-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Show some class for pete's sake.

No. I'm fed up with this crap. I come to the board to read about progressive efforts. The last week, I have to read a bunch of whiners trying to STOP fundraising efforts. It's bullshit.

Zack
10-20-2007, 05:21 PM
*sigh*

If this thread is going to be the main "let's debate whether or not we should do the fundraiser on Nov 5th" thread, than so be it. That's not what I intended it to be. There plenty of those already. This was supposed to be a thread for people who are tired of arguing that point, and who are ready to find ways to ACT, in order to help the campaign. I think most people did a speed-read of my original post and missed that. Sorry if that was my fault for rambling or ranting in a couple of the sentences.

I have to go to work. I've edited the begining of the first thread comment to emphasize that this thread was intended to serve a unique purpose, and not to continue debates from other threads. Read it, if you like. But if people want to make me look like I'm starting up trouble, and call me a whiner, and continue debates from other threads, then that's what they'll do, and I can't do much about it. The same position I fear RP might be in (more so than usual) pretty soon.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 05:23 PM
No. I'm fed up with this crap. I come to the board to read about progressive efforts. The last week, I have to read a bunch of whiners trying to STOP fundraising efforts. It's bullshit.

I've never seen anyone say to stop the fundraising campaign, but only questioning the tying of it to this movie that few have ever seen, and can be used to paint the campaign in a negative light.

I've seen other suggest to move it to Veteran's Day, but it seems there is a group so committed to tying it to this movie that they won't consider the ramifications or any other options.

Dary
10-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I'll be looking forward to the fundraising campaign going down on April 20th.

Sean
10-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I've never seen anyone say to stop the fundraising campaign, but only questioning the tying of it to this movie that few have ever seen, and can be used to paint the campaign in a negative light.

I've seen other suggest to move it to Veteran's Day, but it seems there is a group so committed to tying it to this movie that they won't consider the ramifications or any other options.

The date is already set and over 4k people are committed to donating. V for Vendetta was a popular movie for young people and is a fun idea. One site on the internet calls it a kooky idea by supporters of a kook(Ron Paul) and all the naysayers go crazy saying it will doom the campaign. When the media starts attacking Ron Paul in earnest it is not going to be over this. They will call him a racist due to what was written in a newsletter and a few supporters. That will be their attack. This V for Vendetta criticism is nonsense. If you don't like don't donate that day. Also don't try to get in others way. The campaign will fail if we try to attack and STOP each others ideas everytime we disagree with them.

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 05:45 PM
The date is already set and over 4k people are committed to donating. V for Vendetta was a popular movie for young people and is a fun idea. One site on the internet calls it a kooky idea by supporters of a kook(Ron Paul) and all the naysayers go crazy saying it will doom the campaign. When the media starts attacking Ron Paul in earnest it is not going to be over this. They will call him a racist due to what was written in a newsletter and a few supporters. That will be their attack. This V for Vendetta criticism is nonsense. If you don't like don't donate that day. Also don't try to get in others way. The campaign will fail if we try to attack and STOP each others ideas everytime we disagree with them.

4000!!! I'm questioning the sincerity of some of these whiners...

Eric21ND
10-20-2007, 05:48 PM
I just posted this on two other forums and they loved this idea of big fund raising push on Nov 5th so just lump it already. I probably got 20+ people to sign on to donate $100, one lady is good for $500.

Create your own ideas instead of taring down the ideas of others.

Energy
10-20-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm giving at least $100 on Nov 5. Define it your own way and call it "Back to the Constitution" Day if you want because that's what's going to happen on Nov 4, 5 2008. "Ron Paul, Bringing Back the Constitution."

Plus, it's one year before the election, we're celebrating the year before the nation "goes back to the Constitution" on Nov 4 or 5, 2008 - nothing kooky about it.

Nov 5 is a great time - early enough to put some serious money in the bank, that's what counts. Especially early enough for a large infusion of cash for the official campaign to lay serious plans for Iowa and early primaries rather than hoping for a big push at the end of the quarter.

I'm all for a mass donation on Veteran's Day.

P.S. IMO, the video at www.thisnovember5th.com with the real life Fawkes-masked protesters in black costumes needs to go IMO.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 05:50 PM

Malkin is not just a site on the internet, she's a Fox News contributor. My point, and others here was that you are just adding fuel to the fire by tying your fundraising campaign to this movie. The MSM is looking for any reason they can to denegrate Paul's supporters - giving them something to chew on may not be the wisest move. You guys feel free to do what you wish, but don't be surprised when the MSM uses this against the campaign.

The topic of this thread is how we should be prepared to combat the negative press that could come from this. It's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Good night folks.

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Malkin is not just a site on the internet, she's a Fox News contributor. My point, and others here was that you are just adding fuel to the fire by tying your fundraising campaign to this movie. The MSM is looking for any reason they can to denegrate Paul's supporters - giving them something to chew on may not be the wisest move. You guys feel free to do what you wish, but don't be surprised when the MSM uses this against the campaign.

The topic of this thread is how we should be prepared to combat the negative press that could come from this. It's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Good night folks.

People will see it as a political beat-up. Geez stop your fretting. Besides, their likely to treat us better when they see all that advertising money in Ron's account.

Paul4Prez
10-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I think people are overly concerned about possible negative effects of linking a big fundraising day to a movie. Most likely, the mainstream media will completely ignore the story.

If the November 5th fundraising drive brings in a lot of new donors, or gets some small donors to up it to $100, then I'm all for it. I just wish that people wouldn't put off donating in October to be able to participate in it.

As for the best way to blunt any possible adverse consequences, I think that's obvious:

donate so much on November 4th and 6th that no one really notices.

DjLoTi
10-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Donate more

NewEnd
10-20-2007, 08:03 PM
We are goignto have to hear this shit allt he way until November 6th, when the media says nothing about guy fawkes... you know why

because the media does nto have time to educate America about who Guy Fawkes was. They are not going to spend 2 minutes of a 1 minute newsclip giving the history of Guy Fawkes... not going to happen.

So can the alarmism, and think rationally for a moment. Nobody in America knows who Guy Fawkes is, and November 6th, that isn't going to change.

I know this will come up time and time and time again, until the detractors have to eat a big heaping helping of crow on November 6... nto only because half a million will be added in one day, but also because the media will not waste it's time trying to explain why a guy from 16th century Ireland was a terrorist.

TruckinMike
10-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Thank you, NewENd, Thank You.

Truckinmike

max
10-20-2007, 09:15 PM
i cant believe that some of you are actually worried that people will be afraid of ron paul because of a fundraising gimmick organized by people not part of the officiial campaign....You guys are acting as if Hitler's Birthday was chosen as the big day....lighten up man...

will you stop living in fear of the damn media!

This is creative...it's fun...and it will raise a ton of cash....

The media smear attacks are coming anyway and there is NOTHING you will be able to do to stop it....believe me, anyone so uptight and weak that they would be "turned off" by this ISN'T AN RP VOTER ANYWAY..

Focus on the MILLIONS of non-voting, disgruntled Americans who really would like a V scenario....Our key to victory is the 50% of the public that doesnt vote because they HATE politicians...

This V thing is perfect for them

Taco John
10-20-2007, 09:21 PM
If I were going to be worried about how something looked, I'd be less concerned about thisNovember5th, and be more concerned about the innotations that "money bombers" carries with it.

I'm personally not concerned about either. I'm concerned about raising money. But I just find all the huffines around the Nov. 5th one to be a bit shallow, considering...

terlinguatx
10-20-2007, 09:28 PM

angelatc
10-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I think we should just hand Congressman Paul the $10,000,000.00 and let them handle the damage. I'm sure they would be happy to do that.

Of course, now that people have decided to go pick another date, it probably won't work.

Pat yourselves on the back for taking a good idea and turning it into a huge headache.

The Good Doctor
10-20-2007, 10:07 PM
All right sounds good. I will use this strategy to detract from Guy Fawkes and focus it on Hitler's b-day.

April 20! I will start the fundraiser!

/sarcasm off

:eek:

i cant believe that some of you are actually worried that people will be afraid of ron paul because of a fundraising gimmick organized by people not part of the officiial campaign....You guys are acting as if Hitler's Birthday was chosen as the big day....lighten up man...

will you stop living in fear of the damn media!

This is creative...it's fun...and it will raise a ton of cash....

The media smear attacks are coming anyway and there is NOTHING you will be able to do to stop it....believe me, anyone so uptight and weak that they would be "turned off" by this ISN'T AN RP VOTER ANYWAY..

Focus on the MILLIONS of non-voting, disgruntled Americans who really would like a V scenario....Our key to victory is the 50% of the public that doesnt vote because they HATE politicians...

This V thing is perfect for them

DeadheadForPaul
10-20-2007, 10:19 PM
I just think of the potential for positive press (Headline: Ron Paul supporters rally on Veterans Day to support troops - Ron Paul #1 in donations from military) to the high potential for negative press (Headline: Ron Paul supporters rally around cause of fictional terrorist)

I also dont see what the big deal is about moving it 6 days later to a sunday when people will be more likely to remember to donate since they have the day off

Whatever.

Revolution9
10-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Actually, I did look for a similiar thread (any threads made for people to discuss ways to dampen the Nov 5th effect) before I posted. Sorry if there have already been any, but I don't think there have been.

Yer a troll and need a good smackdown. I got yer number pal.

Randy

American
10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
LOL^^

Zack's on Crack

argounova
10-20-2007, 11:25 PM
i dont think that we need to rain on their parade, but lets just make our own parade

i recently bought thisnovember11th.com

lets all get together and promote this one!! someone help me build and keep the website, i really have no time to, but i wanted to help take this veterans day idea by the horns in order to scoop up all of those paulites mad about the 5th thing

please spread the word and email me at megalophrosune (at gmail) if you want to hlep

Revolution9
10-20-2007, 11:31 PM
i dont think that we need to rain on their parade, but lets just make our own parade

Holy frigging something or other Batman..someone who actually effing "gets it".

Best
Randy

Gimme Some Truth
10-20-2007, 11:31 PM

lets all get together and promote this one!! someone help me build and keep the website, i really have no time to, but i wanted to help take this veterans day idea by the horns in order to scoop up all of those paulites mad about the 5th thing

please spread the word and email me at megalophrosune (at gmail) if you want to hlep

Go for it!

We should all advertise it ...especially those that dont like the Nov 5th idea.

For me, any way to get Ron more money is a great idea. The thing with V is just a case of getting rid of a corrupt government...which we are trying to do now.

Swamp the internet and raise even more money on veterans day as a show of support for the troops by giving money to a candidate that really does want the troops out of harms way!

Go!Go!Go!

misconstrued
10-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Buchanan won AK, LA & NH. Allegations came out the the co-chair of his campaign attended meetings organized by "white supremacists" and "militia leaders". Charges were never substantiated, but the co-chair resigned nonetheless. The story broke in mid-Feb, Buchanan was done by March. All this happend after Buchanan already had big support and was winning primaries.

Again you are talking about someone directly connected to the candidate/campaign. This is an apples and oranges comparison.

I understand you are genuinely concerned, but I really don't think this will hurt the campaign at all. I've actually got 5 friends who were on the fence about donating to donate now on the 5th because they think the idea is cool.

//sorry for keeping this never ending thread going.

argounova
10-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Go for it!

We should all advertise it ...especially those that dont like the Nov 5th idea.

Swamp the internet and raise even more money on veterans day as a show of support for the troops by giving money to a candidate that really does want the troops out of harms way!

Go!Go!Go!

Exactly~!

michaelwise
10-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Lets offer a return deposit on any Ron Paul signs taken down. Return to Meetup group #? at...1$ each.

Flirple
10-20-2007, 11:50 PM

Yes! Exactly! A healthy bit of rivalry between friends! Both sides stand to gain which means Dr. Paul wins. Competing dates, competing websites, competing themes, same goal. Perfect.

This is also a fantastic opportunity to show everyone that Ron Paul supporters are not a monolith and can't be generalized. It also is a beautiful microcosm of our spontaneous, inventive, and adaptable campaign. We operate as the free market does. Meaning through competition we improve each other and disagreements are resolved in a decentralized manner.

Go for it!

RonPaulCentral
10-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Folks -- a November 5th donation can represent many things. Take your pick.
Personally I like what happened in 2003 --

2003 - The final installment of the Matrix Trilogy (The Matrix Revolutions) is released in theatres simultaneously around the world at 2:00 pm (GMT).

On this day in History - Nov. 5

1271 - Mahmud Ghazan was born (d. 1304). Persian ruler
1414 - Council of Constance (16th ecumenical council) opens
1515 - Mariotto Albertinelli dies (b. 1474). Italian painter.
1522 - Andrés Amaral dies. Caballero portugués y canciller de la orden de San Juan de Jerusalén.
1530 - St. Felix's Flood destroys the city of Reimerswaal in the Netherlands
1549 - Philippe de Mornay was born (d. 1623). French writer
1556 - Second Battle of Panipat: Fifty miles north of Delhi, a Mogul Army defeats Hindu forces of General Hemu to ensure Akbar the throne of India.
1559 - Kano Motonobu dies (b. 1476). Japanese painter.
1592 - Charles Chauncy was born (d. 1672). English-born president of Harvard College
1605 - Gunpowder Plot: A plot by Guy Fawkes to blow up the English Houses of Parliament is foiled when Sir Thomas Knyvet, a justice of the peace, finds Fawkes in a cellar below the Parliament building
1613 - Isaac de Benserade was born (d. 1691), French poet
1615 - Ibrahim I was born (d. 1648). Ottoman Sultan
1660 - Lucy Hay, Countess of Carlisle dies (d. 1599). English socialite.
1660 - Alexandre de Rhodes dies (b. 1591). French Jesuit missionay.
1667 - Christoph Ludwig Agricola was born (d. 1719). German painter.
1688 - Glorious Revolution begins: William of Orange lands at Brixham.
1701 - Charles Gerard, 2nd Earl of Macclesfield dies. French-born English politician.
1714 - Bernardino Ramazzini dies (b. 1633). Italian physician.
1742 - Richard Cosway was born (d. 1821). English artist.
1752 - Carl Andreas Duker dies (b. 1670). German classical scholar.
1757 - Seven Years' War: Frederick the Great defeated the allied armies of France and the Holy Roman Empire in the Battle of Rossbach.
1758 - Hans Egede dies (b. 1686). Lutheran missionary.
1780 - French-American force under Colonel LaBalme is defeated by Miami Chief Little Turtle.
1807 - Angelica Catharina Maria Anna Kauffman dies (b. 30 Oct 1740). Swiss Neoclassical painter and etcher
1815 - Martins Pena was born (d. 1848). Brazilian dramatist and diplomat.
1836 - Karel Hynek Mácha dies (b. 1810). Czech poet.
1838 - The United States of Central America began to disintegrate when Honduras separated from the federation.
1849 - Rui Barbosa was born (d. 1923). Brazilian statesman and writer.
1854 - The Battle of Inkerman was fought during the Crimean War / Batalha de Inkerman, durante a Guerra da Crimeia. A vitória das forças britânicas sobre as russas, permitiu a realização do cerco a Sebastopol.
1854 - Paul Sabatier was born (d. 1941). French chemist, Nobel Prize laureate in 1912.
1855 - Eugene V. Debs was born (d. 1926). American socialist leader.
1855 - Léon Teisserenc de Bort was born (d. 1913). French meteorologist.
1857 - Ida Tarbell was born (d. 1944). American journalist.
1862 - American Civil War: Abraham Lincoln removes George McClellan as commander of the Union Army for the second and final time.
1862 - Indian Wars: In Minnesota, more than 300 Santee Sioux are found guilty of rape and murder of white settlers and are sentenced to hang.
1867 - Nasce Eugénio Tavares, poeta cabo-verdiano.
1872 - Women's suffrage: In defiance of the law, suffragist Susan B. Anthony votes for the first time, and is later fined $100.
1873 - Howard Carter was born († 1939) . British archeologist.
1879 - James Clerk Maxwell dies (b. 1831). Scottish physicist.
1881 - Robert Mallet dies (b. 3 Jun 1810). Irish engineer and geologist
1885 - Will Durant was born (d. 1981). American historian.
1890 - Jan Zrzavý was born (d. 1977). Czech painter.
1892 - J. B. S. Haldane was born (d. 1964). Scottish geneticist.
1893 - Sobral Pinto (Heráclito Fontoura Sobral Pinto) was born in Barbacena- MG (d. 1991). Brazilian jurist
1895 - Walter Gieseking was born (d. 1956). French conductor.
1895 - Charles MacArthur was born (d. 1956). American author.
1895 - George B. Selden is granted the first U.S. patent for an automobile.
1897 - Brasil: Presidente Prudente de Morais sofre atentado
1900 - Martin Dies, Jr. was born (d. 1972). American politician.
1905 - Joel McCrea was born (d. 1990). American actor.
1906 - Fred Lawrence Whipple was born (d. 2004). American astronomer
1911 - Roy Rogers was born (d. 1998). American actor.
1911 - After declaring war on the Ottoman Empire on September 29, 1911, Italy annexes Tripoli and Cyrenaica.
1912 - U.S. presidential election, 1912: Democratic challenger Woodrow Wilson wins a landslide victory over Republican incumbent William Howard Taft.
1913 - The insane king Otto of Bavaria is deposed by his cousin, Prince Regent Ludwig, who assumed the title Ludwig III.
1913 - United Kingdom annexes Cyprus, and together with France declares war on the Ottoman Empire.
1913 - Vivien Leigh was born (d. 1967). American actress ( Gone With Wind, Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn )
1914 - August Weismann dies (b. 1834). German biologist.
1916 - Madeleine Robinson was born (d. 1 Aug 2004). French actress.
1916 - The Kingdom of Poland proclaimed by the November 5th Act of the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
1916 - The Everett Massacre takes place as political differences lead to a shoot-out between IWW organizers and local police
1917 - O Comando do Corpo Expedicionário Português assumiu a responsabilidade da defesa do Sector Português na frente ocidental durante a Primeira Guerra Mundial. Estava subordinado ao 1.º Exército britânico, comandado pelo general Horne.
1917 - St. Tikhon of Moscow was elected the Patriarch of Moscow and of the Russian Orthodox Church.
1917 - Filinto Ramalho was born in Vouzela (d. 2001). Prior of Sacavém (Portugal)
1919 - Félix Gaillard d'Aimé was born (d. 10 Jul 1970). French politician
1920 - Douglass North was born. American economist, Nobel Prize laureate .
1921 - Fawzia of Egypt was born. Queen of Iran.
1930 - Sinclair Lewis is awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature “for his vigorous and graphic art of description and his ability to create, with wit and humor, new types of characters.”
1930 - Christiaan Eijkman dies (b. 1858). Dutch physician. Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1929.
1931 - Ike Turner was born. American musician.
1933 - Paulo César Saraceni was born in Rio de Janeiro. Brazilian actor and director.
1933 - Texas Guinan dies (b. 1884). American saloon keeper, actress, and musician.
1935 - Parker Brothers releases the board game Monopoly.
1937 - World War II: Adolf Hitler holds a secret meeting and states his plans for acquiring "living space" for the German people.
1937 - Rui Claumann was born (d. 1987). Brazilian actor.
1938 - Enéas Carneiro was born. Brazilian politician.
1938 - Joe Dassin was born (d. 20 Aug 1980). French singer.
1940 - U.S. presidential election, 1940: Democrat incumbent Franklin D. Roosevelt defeats Republican challenger Wendell Willkie and becomes the United States' first third-term president.
1941 - Art Garfunkel was born. American musician.
1941 - Elke Sommer was born. German actress.
1941 - Arndt Pekurinen dies (b. 1905). Finnish pacifist.
1942 - George M. Cohan dies (b. 1878). American musician, actor, writer, and composer.
1943 - Sam Shepard was born. American playwright and actor .
1944 - British official Lord Moyne was assassinated in Cairo, Egypt, by the Zionist Stern gang.
1945 - Colombia joins the United Nations.
1946 - United States: Republicans captured control of both the Senate and the House in midterm elections.
1946 - Herman Brood was born. Dutch musician and artist.
1946 - Gram Parsons was born (d. 1973). American musician.
1947 - Peter Noone was born. English musician and actor.
1948 - Peter Hammill was born. English rock musician and singer. Founder of Van der Graaf Generator
1948 - William Daniel Phillips was born. American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate .
1949 - Armin Shimerman was born. American actor.
1951 - I Love Lucy airs for the first time.
1951 - Reggie Walker dies (b. 1889). South African athlete.
1952 - Bill Walton was born. American basketball player and commentator.
1953 - Nobel prize for physics awarded on Frederik Zernicke
1953 - Dimite en Israel el primer ministro, David Ben Gurión.
1955 - Bernard Chazelle was born. French-born computer scientist.
1955 - Maurice Utrillo dies (b. 1883). French artist.
1956 - Art Tatum dies (b. 1909). American musician.
1958 - Robert Patrick was born. American actor.
1959 - Bryan Adams was born. Canadian musician.
1960 - Tilda Swinton was born. American actress.
1960 - Mack Sennett dies (b. 1880). Canadian producer and director.
1960 - Ward Bond dies (b. 1903). American actor.
1962 - A mining accident kills 21 miners at the government-owned Kings Bay Coal Company on Svalbard, leading the Norweigian government to close the mine.
1963 - Maria Goeppert-Mayer receives The Nobel Prize for Physics
1963 - Tatum O'Neal was born. American actress.
1963 - Jean-Pierre Papin was born. French football player.
1964 - The Nobel Physics Prize is announced to go to Townes, Basov, and Prokhorov “for fundamental work in the field of quantum electronics, which has led to the construction of oscillators and amplifiers based on the maser-laser principle.”
1965 - State of Emergency declared in Rhodesia after collapse of negotiations with Great Britain over Rhodesian independence (UDI would follow six days later)
1965 - Famke Janssen was born. Danish model and actress.
1967 - Un golpe de Estado militar en Yemen derroca al mariscal 'Abd Allah as-Sallal.
1968 - Aitana Sanchez-Gijon was born. Spanish actress.
1968 - U.S. presidential election, 1968: Republican challenger Richard M. Nixon defeats Vice President Hubert Humphrey and American Independent Party candidate George C. Wallace.
1968 - The first black woman representative to serve in Congress, Shirley Chisholm, was elected.
1969 - In Chicago, Illinois, Bobby Seale [22 Oct 1936~], the founder of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense, is sentenced to four years in prison on sixteen counts of contempt of court
1970 - Vietnam War: The United States Military Assistance Command in Vietnam reports the lowest weekly American soldier death toll in five years (24).
1971 - Corin Nemec was born. American actor.
1973 - Johnny Damon was born. Baseball player.
1974 - Jerry Stackhouse was born. American basketball player.
1974 - Ryan Adams was born. American musician.
1974 - Stafford Repp dies (b. 1918). American actor.
1975 - Lionel Trilling dies (b. 1905). American critic and writer.
1975 - Sao Tome and Principe adopts constitution
1975 - The Travis Walton abduction happens.
1975 - Edward Lawrie Tatum dies (b. 1909). American microbiologist.
1975 - Angela Gossow was born. German singer (Arch Enemy).
1977 - Richard Wright was born. English football player.
1977 - René Goscinny dies (b. 1926). French comic book writer.
1977 - Guy Lombardo dies (b. 1902). Canadian conductor.
1977 - Jodi Webb was born. Miss Utah Teen USA 1996
1978 - Iranian PM Jaafar Sharif-Emami resigns to Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi
1979 - Al Capp dies (b. 1909). American cartoonist .
1979 - Franz Black was born. Underground Rapper (NYC)-(Brothers East).
1979 - The radio news program Morning Edition premieres on National Public Radio.
1979 - Ayatollah Khomeini declares the USA to be "the great Satan".
1980 - Christoph Metzelder was born. German football player
1981 - Javier Pereira was born. Spanish writer.
1982 - Inauguração da hidrelétrica de Itaipú na fronteira entre o Brasil e o Paraguai, a maior do mundo na época.
1982 - Jacques Tati dies (b. 1908). French actor and director.
1985 - Spencer W. Kimball dies (b. 1895). President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
1985 - Humberto Mauro dies (b. 1897). Brazilian film director
1985 - Reliquary of St Maurus from the 13th century discovered in a cache in the chapel of Bečov Castle.
1986 - BoA was born. Korean singer.
1986 - USS Rentz (FFG-46), USS Reeves (DLG-24) and USS Oldendorf (DD-972) visit Qingdao (Tsing Tao) China—the first US Naval visit to China since 1949.
1987 - Apartheid: In South Africa, Govan Mbeki is released from custody after serving 24 years in the Robben Island prison. He had been sentenced to life for treason against the white minority South Africa government.
1989 - Vladimir Horowitz dies (b. 1903). Russian pianist.
1989 - 19th New York City Women's Marathon won by Ingrid Kristiansen in 2:25:30
1989 - 20th New York City Marathon won by Juma Ikangaa in 2:08:01
1990 - Rabbi Meir Kahane (b. 1932), founder of the far-right Kach movement, is shot dead after a speech at a New York City hotel.
1991 - Kiichi Miyazawa elected premier of Japan
1991 - Robert Maxwell dies at 68. Slovakian-born billionaire publisher (New York Daily News). His body is found floating in the Atlantic Ocean off the Canary Islands
1991 - Fred MacMurray dies (b. 1908). American actor.
1992 - La poetisa cubana Dulce María Loynaz es galardonada con el Premio Miguel de Cervantes de Literatura
1992 - Bobby Fisher beats Boris Spassky to win Chess title in Belgrade
1992 - In Detroit, Michigan, black motorist Malice Green is beaten to death by policemen Larry Nevers and Walter Budzyn during a struggle.
1992 - Arpad Elo dies (b. 1903). American physicist and chess player.
1994 - El ciclista suizo Tony Rominger bate el récord de la hora, con 55,291 km.
1994 - A letter by former US President Ronald Reagan is released that announces he has Alzheimer's disease.
1994 - El Parque de Doñana en Huelva declarado Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la UNESCO.
1994 - Forty-five year old George Foreman becomes boxing's oldest heavyweight champion when he knocks out Michael Moorer.
1994 - At 45, George Foreman, became the oldest heavyweight champion when he knocked out Michael Moorer in the 10th round of their WBA fight in Las Vegas.
1995 - Ernest Gellner dies (b. 1925). Antropologist, sociologist and philosopher
* 1995 - An endless procession of Israelis filed past the simple wooden coffin of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, who'd been assassinated the night before.
1996 - U.S. presidential election, 1996: Democrat incumbent Bill Clinton defeats Republican challenger Bob Dole to win his second term.
1996 - President of Pakistan Farooq Ahmed Khan Leghari dismissed the government of Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and dissolved National Assembly of Pakistan.
1996 - Eddie Harris dies b. 1934. American saxophonist.
1997 - James Robert Baker dies (b. 1946). American novelist, screenwriter.
1997 - Isaiah Berlin dies (b. 1909). Latvian-born historian of ideas.
1998 - Lewinsky scandal: As part of the impeachment inquiry, House Judiciary Committee chairman Henry Hyde sends a list of 81 questions to US President Bill Clinton.
* 1998 - The journal Nature publishes a genetic study showing compelling evidence that Thomas Jefferson fathered a son, Eston Hemings Jefferson, by his slave Sally Hemings.
1998 - Fernando Brochado Coelho dies. Portuguese politician, founder of PPD (Patido Popular Democrático).
1999 - United States v. Microsoft: US District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issues a preliminary ruling that software maker Microsoft had "monopoly power".
2000 - Abdelkhader El Mouaziz won the New York City Marathon, finishing in 2:10:09 and becoming the first Moroccan champion. Ludmila Petrova became the first Russian champion, winning the women's division in 2:25:45.
2000 - Emperor Haile Selassie I given an Imperial funeral by the Ethiopian Orthodox church
2000 - Victor Grinich dies (b. 1924). American businessman.
2000 - Jimmie Davis dies (b. 1899). Singer and politician.
2001 - Roy Boulting dies (b. 1913). English film director and producer
2001 - Jeannette Thorez-Vermeersch dies (b. 26 Nov 1910). French politician
2002 - Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon [27 Feb 1928 – 2007] announces early general elections. They will be held on 28 January 2003.
2003 - Bobby Hatfield dies (b. 1940), American singer (Righteous Brothers)
2003 - The final installment of the Matrix Trilogy (The Matrix Revolutions) is released in theatres simultaneously around the world at 2:00 pm (GMT).
2005 - Rod Donald dies (b. 1957). New Zealand environmentalist
2005 - John Fowles dies (b. 1926). English writer.
2006 - Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging for crimes against humanity.
R.C. Saints - November 5th is the feast day of the following Roman Catholic Saints:
St. Bertilia, St. Dominator, St. Domninus, St. Elizabeth, St. Felix and Eusebius, St. Fibitius, St. Galation, St. Aetus, St. Magnus, St. Sylvia, Pope Zacharias
Ancient Latvia - the festival Katrina
United Kingdom and New Zealand - Guy Fawkes night (also called Bonfire night; or Fireworks night): Failure of the Gunpowder Plot to blow up Parliament in 1605 is celebrated with bonfires and fireworks.
Dia Nacional da Cultura (no Brasil)
Dia do Cinema Brasileiro

cujothekitten
10-20-2007, 11:56 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27033

^look^

SouthernGuy15
10-21-2007, 02:45 AM
What I want to know is how we can MAXIMIZE the effect of Nov. 5th!

SouthernGuy15
10-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Zack,

You are a TRAITOR TO THIS CAMPAIGN!

I totally support the Nov. 5th donations!

SouthernGuy15
10-21-2007, 02:48 AM
I just DUGG this story!

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_on_the_5th_of_November

I think we should all participate!

a_european
10-21-2007, 03:16 AM
I made a thread about this here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27053

Drop the movie as the main theme!

SouthernGuy15
10-21-2007, 04:20 AM