PDA

View Full Version : Which one am I?

StrictBaptist
11-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I was talking to some guys about the Tea Paty and got asked a question.

they asked if I was a :

Liberterian
Social Conservative
Constitutionalist

Honestly I dont know lol..Whats the differances?

nate895
11-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Well, we could help, if you told us a couple of your political positions, and, more importantly, why you hold them.

specsaregood
11-17-2010, 11:39 PM
they asked if I was a :
Liberterian
Social Conservative
Constitutionalist

Next time they ask you that just answer, "Yes".

StrictBaptist
11-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Ok heres a few of them...

Limited Goverment: Shrink the Goverment, Abolish the Fed Res, Department of Education

Bring our military back home, quit policing the world

Defend Isreal: I believe Isreal is Gods chosen Nation and those who go against it will be under Gods wrath

Pro-Life: Abortion only in the most dire need.

2nd Admendment is guaranteed to every citizen.

Allow the "Homestead" act is every state. Get rid of paying taxes on land, so a citizen can actually "OWN" the property

Privatize Healthcare

Bring in the Fair Tax and Open up the Trade Markets!

Secure our borders and quit spending any money on Illegals

thats a start:)

nate895
11-17-2010, 11:43 PM

Limited Goverment: Shrink the Goverment, Abolish the Fed Res, Department of Education

Defend Isreal: I believe Isreal is Gods chosen Nation and those who go against it will be under Gods wrath

Allow the "Homestead" act is every state. Get rid of paying taxes on land, so a citizen can actually "OWN" the property

Privatize Healthcare

Well, you probably aren't a libertarian (probably). However, you would need to give your reasoning to determine between social conservative and Constitutionalist. Of course, you could be both, and if you are a Constituionalist, you probably are a social conservative.

Theocrat
11-17-2010, 11:45 PM

Privatize Healthcare

Because of your support for Israel (the nation), it would put you closest in the category of "Social Conservative."

By the way, get ready for a wave of insults because of your support for Israel...

StrictBaptist
11-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Because of your support for Israel (the nation), it would put you closest in the category of "Social Conservative."

By the way, get ready for a wave of insults because of your support for Israel...

I am not worried about insults...However my view on Isreal is my personal view, I know others on here have differing opinions on Isreal..

I still support Ron Paul:) and will hopefully be seeing him as President in 2012:)

nate895
11-17-2010, 11:50 PM

As a more rational opponent of Israel, I would suggest StrictBaptist just get out of Dodge now, before the irrational masses attack for being everything from a theocrat to neocon to ignorant moron.

StrictBaptist
11-17-2010, 11:56 PM
As a more rational opponent of Israel, I would suggest StrictBaptist just get out of Dodge now, before the irrational masses attack for being everything from a theocrat to neocon to ignorant moron.

I sure as hell am not no neocon or moron:p

Theocrat
11-17-2010, 11:56 PM

Yeah, tell me about it. :D

nate895
11-18-2010, 12:02 AM
I sure as hell am not no neocon or moron:p

I know you probably aren't. However, modern people have the tendency to lack the ability to reason. Because of this lack of ability, they resort to name-calling instead.

cswake
11-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Welcome to the board. Don't mind the Israel talk, most of us have disagreement about one or more issues. In my opinion, the common thread here is that all of us recognize that our Federal government has violated one or more parts of its contract with the people. (the Constitution) As for "what" you are, it really depends on the definitions. I've seen a lot of discussions here lately that even the members here have different opinions of what something really means. With that said, here's my view of what the "common" definition most people view them as:

libertarian - someone who believes that the sole purpose of any goverrnment is to protect the liberty of citizens. They *do* recognize a place for government in society - limited solely to defense/police, courts, and upholding contracts and property rights.
social conservative - someone who thinks that the government has some purpose dictating how all individuals should act or behave for religious reasons.
constitutionalist - someone who believes that the U.S. constitution should be strictly interpreted. (Article I, Section 8 are the only duties permitted to the Federal government)

The definitions aren't perfect as there are many shades of gray. It's also worth pointing out that there can be overlap between them. For example:

the U.S. Constitution is widely regarded as a libertarian document and thus a constitutionalist is also a libertarian
a social conservative might be both a constitutionalist and a libertarian when it comes to the Federal government, but at the local level believes that their public school should allow prayer, teach religion, etc.
a libertarian Republican, like Ron Paul, doesn't believe government should use its force other than to protect liberty, private property, and contracts; yet, he is a social conservative who doesn't want to use the government's force to impose those same beliefs on the rest of society (He's 100% pro-life, religious, still married to the same woman after 5 decades)

As you can see it's not an easy question or answer. Generally you're in the right camp, libertarians/conservatives have historically been staunch allies since they generally view government as the enemy of liberty. I'd tell you to take this quiz to find out where you generally fall on the Federal level:

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz

Live_Free_Or_Die
11-18-2010, 12:14 AM

lol

"speak of the devil incarnate himself"

"look what the cat drug into the thread"

"someones ears must have been burning"

let me know if I am missing any juicy ones. ;)

Did someone mention they wanted to steal from me in order to defend the State of Israel? Did I miss something in the OT? Isn't defending Hebrews in the twelve tribes of Jacob God's job? Does God require you to steal from me in order to defend the State of Israel?

Theocrat
11-18-2010, 12:20 AM
lol

"speak of the devil incarnate himself"

"look what the cat drug into the thread"

"someones ears must have been burning"

let me know if I am missing any juicy ones. ;)

Did someone mention they wanted to steal from me in order to defend the State of Israel? Did I miss something in the OT? Isn't defending Hebrews in the twelve tribes of Jacob God's job? Does God require you to steal from me in order to defend the State of Israel?

It's going to happen whether you like it or not. Until our nation learns to trust God instead of the Almighty Dollar, we will continue to be bled of our economy by irrational policies towards other nations.

StrictBaptist
11-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the board. Don't mind the Israel talk, most of us have disagreement about one or more issues. In my opinion, the common thread here is that all of us recognize that our Federal government has violated one or more parts of its contract with the people. (the Constitution) As for "what" you are, it really depends on the definitions. I've seen a lot of discussions here lately that even the members here have different opinions of what something really means. With that said, here's my view of what the "common" definition most people view them as:

libertarian - someone who believes that the sole purpose of any goverrnment is to protect the liberty of citizens. They *do* recognize a place for government in society - limited solely to defense/police, courts, and upholding contracts and property rights.
social conservative - someone who thinks that the government has some purpose dictating how all individuals should act or behave for religious reasons.
constitutionalist - someone who believes that the U.S. constitution should be strictly interpreted. (Article I, Section 8 are the only duties permitted to the Federal government)

The definitions aren't perfect as there are many shades of gray. It's also worth pointing out that there can be overlap between them. For example:

the U.S. Constitution is widely regarded as a libertarian document and thus a constitutionalist is also a libertarian
a social conservative might be both a constitutionalist and a libertarian when it comes to the Federal government, but at the local level believes that their public school should allow prayer, teach religion, etc.
a libertarian Republican, like Ron Paul, doesn't believe government should use its force other than to protect liberty, private property, and contracts; yet, he is a social conservative who doesn't want to use the government's force to impose those same beliefs on the rest of society (He's 100% pro-life, religious, still married to the same woman after 5 decades)

As you can see it's not an easy question or answer. Generally you're in the right camp, libertarians/conservatives have historically been staunch allies since they generally view government as the enemy of liberty. I'd tell you to take this quiz to find out where you generally fall on the Federal level:

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz

thanks I took the quiz... It says Liberterian:) I scored a 100/90 on it..

cswake
11-18-2010, 12:33 AM
NP. You shouldn't be smiling though!!! It just means that you have a lot of work to do to get the Federal government down to the size that you think is right. :p You have a lot of friends here who will help here in that cause...

StrictBaptist
11-18-2010, 12:37 AM
NP. You shouldn't be smiling though!!! It just means that you have a lot of work to do to get the Federal government down to the size that you think is right. :p You have a lot of friends here who will help here in that cause...

Good to know:) I am smiling because I am proud to be a part of this movement!!!

Knightskye
11-18-2010, 01:31 AM

Privatize Healthcare

Constitutionalist. Welcome to the forums.

Live_Free_Or_Die
11-18-2010, 02:32 AM
People aren't easily categorized with labels unless the definitions are broad. It is far easier to analyze individual positions. Like most people you do not fit neatly in one label.

Limited Goverment: Shrink the Goverment,

Libertarian (maximum role of any legitimate government is limited)
Constitutionalist (depends most on whether they lean federalist or anti-federalist)
Social Conservative (if it suits them to limit or shrink it)

Abolish the Fed Res,

Libertarian (free markets)
Constitutionalist (depends most on whether they lean federalist or anti-federalist)
Social Conservative (if it suits them to abolish it)

Department of Education

Constitutionalist (no power delegated to regulate education)

Constitutionalist (commerce with all, allies with none)
Social Conservative (if it suits them to quit policing the world)

Libertarian (the market will decide)
Constititonalist (commerce with all, allies with none)
Social Conservative (if it suits them to recognize Gods chosen nation)

Libertarian (eviction theory: evict yes, murder no | otherwise up to individuals)
Constitutionalist (up to states)
Social Conservative (lean pro-life but no unanimous consensus on when life begins or when abortion is a crime of murder)

Libertarian (self defense is a natural right)
Constitutionalist (self defense is a natural right & a well regulated militia is necessary to a free state)
Social Conservative (2nd Amendment applies to whoever they deem worthy... such as "citizens" not "people" as stated in the 2nd Amendment)

Allow the "Homestead" act is every state.

Libertarian (if the state is legitimate to exist, it should compete)
Constitutionalist (states should compete)
Social Conservative (states should be uniform if that is what they believe)

Get rid of paying taxes on land, so a citizen can actually "OWN" the property

Libertarian (taxation is theft)
Constitutionalist (up to each state)

Privatize Healthcare

Constitutionalist (no power delegated to regulate health care)
Social Conservative (if it suits them to privatize it)

Libertarian (taxation is theft)
Constitutionalist (government has the power to tax)
Social Conservative (if it suits them to support it)

Libertarian (open borders)
Constitutionalist (no power delegated to federal political subdivision to regulate immigration, up to individual states trespassing visitors and tourists at state borders)
Social Conservative (if it suits them to support it)

Kotin
11-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Good to know:) I am smiling because I am proud to be a part of this movement!!!

Welcome to the movement and Welcome to the Forums!!!

tremendoustie
11-18-2010, 03:26 AM
I have no problem with you wanting to defend israel, as long as you're not going to force me to pay for it ;). By all means, donate your money towards that end.

Cutlerzzz
11-18-2010, 06:47 AM

Privatize Healthcare

You're almost there, however, you need to ask yourself "are these contradictory?".

Bern
11-18-2010, 06:50 AM
http://www.nolanchart.com/survey.php

roho76
11-18-2010, 07:24 AM
To use our country to defend a religious ideology at all cost to the people of America is most definitely a NeoCon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There is nothing conservative, Constitutional, or Liberterian about that position at all. How is that people think that using our military to defend a religious position is anything different than what we have now?

Elwar
11-18-2010, 08:38 AM
You are an individual with your own thoughts and ideals.

Sola_Fide
11-18-2010, 09:19 AM

Privatize Healthcare

Welcome to the forums brother!

I am a strict baptist too (but more of the Reformed kind). I had to evaluate my position on zionism and come to the conclusion it wasn't Biblical or historically Christian!

The church is the chosen people of God, the new nation of Israel, the holy priesthood... not the unbelieving Jews.

"But you [Christians] are a CHOSEN RACE, a ROYAL PRIESTHOOD, a HOLY NATION, a people for God's own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of the darkness into His marvelous light."

- 1st Peter 2:9

LibertyEagle
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM

they asked if I was a :

Liberterian
Social Conservative
Constitutionalist

Keep in mind that these 3 things are not mutually exclusive. i.e. there is a lot of libertarianism in traditional conservatism and in constitutionalism.

Also, please remember that libertarians disagree on a number of different issues. Abortion and the border are two that come immediately to mind. Dr. Paul's stances are quite different than some of the more vociferous here on these and other subjects.

Andrew-Austin
11-18-2010, 10:22 AM

What does that mean anyways "chosen nation"?

Does every Israelite automatically go to a special part of heaven when they die? Does God just not like the rest of the world as much because there isn't any biblical history in other countries? Just seems kind of petty for God to play favorites. And if Christianity is the true religion why favorite a Jewish country? If a country attacks Israel you say they will suffer God's wrath, so why do we need to defend Israel when God would either thoroughly punish the attackers or ward them off with divine intervention? Is not defending Israel just as much a sin as being the ones who attack Israel? Do you believe in religious freedom and separation of church and state, if so why do you support using tax monies to further this religious view?

Doesn't the position "defend Israel" contradict the stances of limited government and "don't police the world"?

klamath
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
The problem i see with your Israel defence and bringing all the troops home is that as long as we unilaterally defend Israel we will always take on her enemies and they will attack us. When we are attacked we will have to fight in that part of the world and no troops will be coming home.

pcosmar
11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
I am an Angry American.
Regardless of what ever other categories some may try to pigeon hole me into.

On one hand I share your support for Israel. For the spiritual Israel.
However not for the secular and corrupt government that is presently in control of the country of Israel.
And here is a clue,, God does not need the weapons of man to defend his people.
;)

StrictBaptist
11-18-2010, 04:23 PM
What does that mean anyways "chosen nation"?

Does every Israelite automatically go to a special part of heaven when they die? Does God just not like the rest of the world as much because there isn't any biblical history in other countries? Just seems kind of petty for God to play favorites. And if Christianity is the true religion why favorite a Jewish country? If a country attacks Israel you say they will suffer God's wrath, so why do we need to defend Israel when God would either thoroughly punish the attackers or ward them off with divine intervention? Is not defending Israel just as much a sin as being the ones who attack Israel? Do you believe in religious freedom and separation of church and state, if so why do you support using tax monies to further this religious view?

Doesn't the position "defend Israel" contradict the stances of limited government and "don't police the world"?

I believe this Country was founded on the Religious Principles... I do not believe in Seperation of Church and State. I believe that God should be part of this country just as the "Founders" inteneded it to be.

Southron
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I am Reformed Baptist but don't hold it against me. :p

Sola_Fide
11-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I am Reformed Baptist but don't hold it against me. :p

Reformed Baptist here too, brother.

Sola_Fide
11-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Rifleman,

We could pull out the London Confession and have a good talk with StrictBaptist, right? Hahaha..joking StrictBaptist!

Kylie
11-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I believe this Country was founded on the Religious Principles... I do not believe in Seperation of Church and State. I believe that God should be part of this country just as the "Founders" inteneded it to be.

And as an addendum, I would say.....but that doesn't mean that any other religion is not free to practice within this country, and our laws will not be prejudiced toward one religion or another. Religions may compliment our laws, but do not have the ability to legislate.

RileyE104
11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I believe that God should be part of this country just as the "Founders" inteneded it to be.

I'm pretty sure the founders were split on this issue.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought many of them were (or leaned) Deist.

pcosmar
11-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty sure the founders were split on this issue.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought many of them were (or leaned) Deist.

Most were Christian, some may have been Diest, But most were Christian of various denominations and yet adopted a Constitution that forbid the establishment of any one religion as the state religion.
http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_Fathers_Religion.html
A great many that came to the "New World" did so to escape the religious persecution in Europe.

Sola_Fide
11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Congress shall make no law...

The prohibition was on the federal government in establishing a religion. The states individually did have established state churches.