PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: You Fix the Budget

thehighwaymanq
11-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Today, you’re in charge of the nation’s finances. Some of your options have more short-term savings and some have more long-term savings. When you have closed the budget gaps for both 2015 and 2030, you are done. Make your own plan, then share it online.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/13/weekinreview/deficits-graphic.html

This thing is pretty cool. You can change different programs, raise taxes, etc etc.

I'm doing it for my history class and I thought I'd share. Its rather fun to play with!

Anti Federalist
11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Full of Fail.

I was able to balance the budget simply by checking every cost cutting measure.

It did not cut nearly deep enough in military spending or government workers spending or debt service (simple there, default), nor did the model project the rapid rise in economic growth that tax and regulation reduction always brings.

thehighwaymanq
11-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Full of Fail.

I was able to balance the budget simply by checking every cost cutting measure.

It did not cut nearly deep enough in military spending or government workers spending or debt service (simple there, default), nor did the model project the rapid rise in economic growth that tax and regulation reduction always brings.

It was totally not deep enough, and a lot is missing from it. But it is a nice interactive that if somebody could change up a but- would be really cool