PDA

View Full Version : Texas lawmaker files bill to require Presidential candidates to show birth certificat

lynnf
11-17-2010, 05:24 PM
and I wonder why this wasn't done before 2008?

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2010-11-16/texas-lawmaker-files-bill-require-presidential-candidates-show-birth

AUSTIN – A state representative on Tuesday filed a bill that would require any candidate for president and vice president of the United States to show his or her birth certificate to the Texas Secretary of State, another indication of just how ambitious the conservative agenda for next year’s session of the Texas Legislature is going to be.

Zippyjuan
11-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Will they have to deliver it in person?

Noob
11-17-2010, 06:50 PM
What about those who are born in America were both of the parents are not even American citizens? Do they count as being natural born citizens?

oyarde
11-17-2010, 06:55 PM
So Obama will not be on the ballot in Arizona ?

Tyr
11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
What about those who are born in America were both of the parents are not even American citizens? Do they count as being natural born citizens?

If you are born in the U.S. you are counted as being in American.

Noob
11-17-2010, 07:48 PM
yes but Natural born citizen by the U.S. Constitution in order to be President?

oyarde
11-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Yes , but I question that , where it says under the jurisdiction of ... I am not a lawyer , but would think that would mean one parent would need to be here lawfully .

Travlyr
11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Verifying qualifications seems fundamental. This should have been standard operation procedure in every state of the union for a couple of centuries already.

libertythor
11-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I hope this spreads so that Obama has to show some humility in 2012 and present his birth certificate. That is if he even runs for reelection.

Stary Hickory
11-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Verifying qualifications seems fundamental. This should have been standard operation procedure in every state of the union for a couple of centuries already.

Exactly, this is silly. The POTUS assumes more power than many kings and dictators had in the past, to expect a citizen who wants to assume this kind of responsibility, to show a legit birth certificate is a no brainer.

These kinds of laws would not even be necessary or considered had it not been for Obama's continuing refusal to do something countless other Americans do for all sorts of services or programs.

lynnf
11-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Exactly, this is silly. The POTUS assumes more power than many kings and dictators had in the past, to expect a citizen who wants to assume this kind of responsibility, to show a legit birth certificate is a no brainer.

These kinds of laws would not even be necessary or considered had it not been for Obama's continuing refusal to do something countless other Americans do for all sorts of services or programs.

you're right, it should have been a requirement all along. if this hole isn't plugged, then any foreign usurper could do this again.

lynn

VBRonPaulFan
11-18-2010, 08:08 AM
i mean, he posted his certificate of live birth which is the birth certificate. and the guy has enough power and money now where he could easily forge any document you guys wanted to see so i just see this as a waste of time. if he runs in 2012 and texas passes this law, he'll just show them the same certificate of live birth, the texas secretary of state will say ok, and everyone will move on.

Travlyr
11-18-2010, 09:13 AM
i mean, he posted his certificate of live birth which is the birth certificate. and the guy has enough power and money now where he could easily forge any document you guys wanted to see so i just see this as a waste of time. if he runs in 2012 and texas passes this law, he'll just show them the same certificate of live birth, the texas secretary of state will say ok, and everyone will move on.
I don't see it as a waste of time at all. If he forges a document and delivers that forged document to 50 Secretary's of State ... and gets away with it ... then he is most certainly "qualified" to be POTUS.

Posting a certificate of live birth, and delivering a certified copy of a certificate of live birth are two different actions. Every State in the Union should require proof of qualifications prior to ballot access.

lynnf
11-19-2010, 03:41 AM
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=230045

That's because in Pennsylvania, and in at least a couple of other states, there are Republican-controlled Houses, Senates and governors' offices where being developed right now are plans to use state law to demand proof of constitutional eligibility from presidential candidates before they would be allowed on the state ballot.

From Pennsylvania, Georgia and Texas there already is confirmation of such plans. Arizona is likely to have the same plan, and other states are expected to be in the works as legislatures approach the dates when they will convene.

bj72
11-19-2010, 01:43 PM
An alternate view....read the entire thread. Looks like the law was written to restrict freedom, not really help vet out eligibility....
http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123669

If you value freedom, I would not support the TX or AZ versions of this type of legislation.

libertybrewcity
11-19-2010, 02:01 PM
The law will pass, Obama will show his birth certificate, and Republicans will look like idiots.

bj72
11-19-2010, 02:32 PM
The law will pass, Obama will show his birth certificate, and Republicans will look like idiots.

I agree this is a likely scenario....but only after similar laws have been passed by more than TX and AZ. I think not only could they look like idiots, but also a few will realize they've been punked and sold out the other forms of recording births that were "free". Even if they were "right", they are being played, and will further sell out our children's freedom in the guise of trying to prove "eligibility". When in essence, these laws would not likely have helped with the form of birth record Obama chose to provide.

Yet again, this is a manufactured "crisis" in order to produce a result. Those in the movement are playing into the rhetoric beautifully. If they'd like to continue their pursuit, and not be "played", they should at least recognize all the legal means of recording birth and delineate them in the state laws. It isn't that hard, look up the "alternate means" in the US Passport guidelines...ya know, for those who do not have a state issued birth certificate, but were born here legally in this country by two parents also born here legally.

Words matter.

Travlyr
11-19-2010, 02:40 PM

I agree this is a likely scenario....but only after similar laws have been passed by more than TX and AZ. I think not only could they look like idiots, but also a few will realize they've been punked and sold out the other forms of recording births that were "free". Even if they were "right", they are being played, and will further sell out our children's freedom in the guise of trying to prove "eligibility". When in essence, these laws would not likely have helped with the form of birth record Obama chose to provide.

Yet again, this is a manufactured "crisis" in order to produce a result. Those in the movement are playing into the rhetoric beautifully. If they'd like to continue their pursuit, and not be "played", they should at least recognize all the legal means of recording birth and delineate them in the state laws. It isn't that hard, look up the "alternate means" in the US Passport guidelines...ya know, for those who do not have a state issued birth certificate, but were born here legally in this country by two parents also born here legally.

Words matter.
Are you arguing that certified validation of qualifications is not important?

oyarde
11-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Possible .

ExPatPaki
11-19-2010, 02:50 PM
One argument I heard is that it doesn't matter whether Obama was born in the US because his father was not a US citizen and his mother was a minor (17 years old) when she gave birth to Obama. As a minor she has no right to transfer her citizenship to her progeny and his father was a Kenyan subject of the British empire.

Therefore Obama is a US citizen since he was born here but not a "Natural born Citizen".

My lawyer friend, she said this argument was BS because according to her, a minor can transfer her US citizenship rights to her offspring.

bj72
11-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Are you arguing that certified validation of qualifications is not important?

No I am not.

Please, read the link I posted, and what I wrote.

I have no problem with certifying the validity of the qualifications for the position, I take issue with the fact they are eliminating valid ways to record birth in the process of that certification that were not even in contention.

What was in contention was whether or not the state of HI had furnished a valid birth record in the form of a birth certificate. There are other means with which to record and validate a birth, and they do not have to be state driven. The state could still include those means in the law, and validate them if a person's parent's had chosen to record their birth in this manner. In fact, it seems any supporting documents or material to support the case were actually drawing the validity more into question (such as comments initially made by family). A private means of birth record can actually have more supporting documentation and be more secure.

Travlyr
11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
No I am not.

Please, read the link I posted, and what I wrote.

Okay, I think I understand your position. States should demand proof of natural born citizenship prior to allowing presidential candidates ballot access. But a birth certificate should not be the only proof required. Other forms of proof should be acceptable.

Jace
11-19-2010, 04:10 PM