PDA

View Full Version : Only Way To End The November 5th Debate

jrich4rpaul
10-20-2007, 01:10 PM
FIND YOUR OWN MEANING BEHIND NOVEMBER 5TH, AND GO WITH IT.

V fans, go with the V thing. Don't like V? Go with Back to the Constitution Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlPK8rrynE

Don't like Back to the Future? Find another meaning. Some people see it as a fundraiser and nothing else.

Just find your own way to spread the message, and do it. There will be good, there will be bad, there will be ugly... but in the end, all that matters is getting money to the campaign. That is our mission.

Ok, stop the hate responses, stop the debating, this is the only way to solve it, so just do it.

terlinguatx
10-20-2007, 01:11 PM

TechnoGuyRob
10-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Q.E.D.

NinjaPirate
10-20-2007, 01:12 PM
agreed! :D Whoever did the nov 5th website should put the Back to the Constitution clip on there too.

Edit: What's qtf/QED?

TechnoGuyRob
10-20-2007, 01:14 PM
agreed! :D Whoever did the nov 5th website should put the Back to the Constitution clip on there too.

Edit: What's qtf/QED?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=qft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q.E.D.

literatim
10-20-2007, 01:15 PM
The website sets the theme though. If the website gets a neutral theme, then fine. Maybe a place to showcase all the videos.

NinjaPirate
10-20-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=qft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q.E.D.

Thanks!

foofighter20x
10-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Best way to spin Nov 5th is that it is the day that the Glorious Revolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution) officially started with the landing of William III (of Orange) at Brixham.

This is the movement that spawned the works of Locke and saw the implementation of the English Bill of Rights, a sort of pre-cursor to our own Bill of Rights, in the sense that it set the precedent of having a Bill of Rights.

Kind of ties in well with our Revolution and Rights theme. :D :D :D

literatim
10-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Best way to spin Nov 5th is that it is the day that the Glorious Revolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution) officially started with the landing of William III (of Orange) at Brixham.

This is the movement that spawned the works of Locke and saw the implementation of the English Bill of Rights, a sort of pre-cursor to our own Bill of Rights, in the sense that it set the precedent of having a Bill of Rights.

Kind of ties in well with our Revolution and Rights theme. :D :D :D

Works for me. :D

The website sets the theme though.

Drknows
10-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Hell we can make it about pop culture in general im sure we could find more things that happened on Nov 5th.

shrugged0106
10-20-2007, 01:27 PM
US President Bill Clinton beats Bob Dole to win a second term in office.
Millionaire publishing tycoon Robert Maxwell is found dead at sea – several hours after mysteriously disappearing from his yacht off the Canary Islands.
In New York, Rabbi Meir Kahane, founder of the militant Jewish Defence League and Israel's anti-Arab Kach Party, is assassinated.
In Sweden, four young musicians form themselves into a group called 'ABBA'
In America, Republican candidate Richard Nixon becomes the 37th US President.
A popular uprising in Hungary is crushed by Soviet tanks and troops. An estimated 20,000 Hungarians are killed. Many more flee the country.
In America, Dwight D.Eisenhower wins the US Presidential Election with Richard Nixon as his Vice President.
American General Douglas McArthur reports Chinese Communist troops are massing in North Korea.
Britain introduces its first automatic traffic lights in Wolverhampton in the West Midlands.
Italian-born American actor Rudolph Valentino, the cinema's first male sex symbol, marries actress Jean Acker. The marriage lasts less than 6 hours.
World War I: US troops commanded by General Pershing go into action for the first time on the Western Front.
Britain annexes the Mediteranean island of Cyprus.
World War I: Britian and France declare war on Turkey.
The appointment of a British Board of Film Censors to classify films as either a 'U' for 'Universal' or 'Not Suitable for Children'.
Woolworths opens its first British store in Liverpool.
Beginning of the Cuban Constitutional Convention in Havana.
In Sudan, the Madhi defeats an Egyptian force commanded by British General William Hicks before attacking the capital, Khartoum.
In America, Republican Ulysses Grant is re-elected US President.
The ship, the 'Marie Celeste' sets sail. Its found floating but completely deserted on December 5th.
In Britain, the repeal of the law compelling people to celebrate 'Guy Fawkes' Night'.
In the Crimean War: combined British and French forces defeat the Russians at the Battle of Inkerman.
Roman Catholic Guy Fawkes and several of his co-conspirators are arrested in London when guards discover them planting 30 barrels of gunpowder in a cellar underneath the Houses of Parliament. All are later executed for treason. The 'Gunpowder Plot' is commemorated each year in Britain on 'Guy Fawkes' Night'.
American actress Tatum O'Neil - daughter of 'Love Story' actor Ryan O'Neil. Marries American tennis star John McEnroe.
US musician Art Garfunkel - partner of Paul Simon.
British champion jockey Lester Piggott.
Actress Vivien Leigh. Star of the film 'Gone With The Wind' alongside Clark Gable. Marries British actor Lawrence Olivier.13
American TV cowboy Roy Rogers.
English actor Paul Eddington dies of cancer.
British singer and comedienne Marti Caine dies of cancer.
French comedy actor Jacques Tati dies aged 74.
American film producer Mack Sennett - King of Comedy who 'discovered' silent screen star Charlie Chaplin.

shrugged0106
10-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Couldnt Nov 5th be marketed as

"364 more days until Liberty comes home"

or something on that note?

Spirit of '76
10-20-2007, 01:33 PM

Phil M
10-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Well, let's just comb through this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_5

Here's an interesting one:

"1872 - Women's suffrage: In defiance of the law, suffragist Susan B. Anthony votes for the first time, and is later fined $100."

Bobby Johnson
10-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow, this November 5 thing has quite a few people worked judging by the number of threads in just the last couple of days! How hard would it be just to change it to November 11 like I see some people advocating? If the site owner were to act immediately before too many more people signed on, it shouldn't be too confusing should it?

If subscribers could be informed of the date change through their email address wouldn't that eliminate the confusion? Plus the additional time would allow not only new people to sign on but also allow those who uncomfortable with November 5. It seems like changing the date would be win-win situation because the media would report on the amount of money raised.

Although if the date was kept and we supporters raised a lot of money, could the MSM credibly spin it in a negative light? Sure maybe if fifteen thousand dollars was raised but hundreds of thousands of dollars like it looks like it will be?

jrich4rpaul
10-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Wow, this November 5 thing has quite a few people worked judging by the number of threads in just the last couple of days! How hard would it be just to change it to November 11 like I see some people advocating? If the site owner were to act immediately before too many more people signed on, it shouldn't be too confusing should it?

If subscribers could be informed of the date change through their email address wouldn't that eliminate the confusion? Plus the additional time would allow not only new people to sign on but also allow those who uncomfortable with November 5. It seems like changing the date would be win-win situation because the media would report on the amount of money raised.

Although if the date was kept and we supporters raised a lot of money, could the MSM credibly spin it in a negative light? Sure maybe if fifteen thousand dollars was raised but hundreds of thousands of dollars like it looks like it will be?

2 fundraisers is better than one. Find a way to look at Nov 5th, and then we'll do it again on the 11th.

brumans
10-20-2007, 01:50 PM
2 fundraisers is better than one. Find a way to look at Nov 5th, and then we'll do it again on the 11th.

If you have too many (or too close together), they lose their meaning and not a whole lot of people participate.

literatim
10-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I don't mind the date, but the theme needs to go.

jrich4rpaul
10-20-2007, 01:53 PM
US President Bill Clinton beats Bob Dole to win a second term in office.
Millionaire publishing tycoon Robert Maxwell is found dead at sea – several hours after mysteriously disappearing from his yacht off the Canary Islands.
In New York, Rabbi Meir Kahane, founder of the militant Jewish Defence League and Israel's anti-Arab Kach Party, is assassinated.
In Sweden, four young musicians form themselves into a group called 'ABBA'
In America, Republican candidate Richard Nixon becomes the 37th US President.
A popular uprising in Hungary is crushed by Soviet tanks and troops. An estimated 20,000 Hungarians are killed. Many more flee the country.
In America, Dwight D.Eisenhower wins the US Presidential Election with Richard Nixon as his Vice President.
American General Douglas McArthur reports Chinese Communist troops are massing in North Korea.
Britain introduces its first automatic traffic lights in Wolverhampton in the West Midlands.
Italian-born American actor Rudolph Valentino, the cinema's first male sex symbol, marries actress Jean Acker. The marriage lasts less than 6 hours.
World War I: US troops commanded by General Pershing go into action for the first time on the Western Front.
Britain annexes the Mediteranean island of Cyprus.
World War I: Britian and France declare war on Turkey.
The appointment of a British Board of Film Censors to classify films as either a 'U' for 'Universal' or 'Not Suitable for Children'.
Woolworths opens its first British store in Liverpool.
Beginning of the Cuban Constitutional Convention in Havana.
In Sudan, the Madhi defeats an Egyptian force commanded by British General William Hicks before attacking the capital, Khartoum.
In America, Republican Ulysses Grant is re-elected US President.
The ship, the 'Marie Celeste' sets sail. Its found floating but completely deserted on December 5th.
In Britain, the repeal of the law compelling people to celebrate 'Guy Fawkes' Night'.
In the Crimean War: combined British and French forces defeat the Russians at the Battle of Inkerman.
Roman Catholic Guy Fawkes and several of his co-conspirators are arrested in London when guards discover them planting 30 barrels of gunpowder in a cellar underneath the Houses of Parliament. All are later executed for treason. The 'Gunpowder Plot' is commemorated each year in Britain on 'Guy Fawkes' Night'.
American actress Tatum O'Neil - daughter of 'Love Story' actor Ryan O'Neil. Marries American tennis star John McEnroe.
US musician Art Garfunkel - partner of Paul Simon.
British champion jockey Lester Piggott.
Actress Vivien Leigh. Star of the film 'Gone With The Wind' alongside Clark Gable. Marries British actor Lawrence Olivier.13
American TV cowboy Roy Rogers.
English actor Paul Eddington dies of cancer.
British singer and comedienne Marti Caine dies of cancer.
French comedy actor Jacques Tati dies aged 74.
American film producer Mack Sennett - King of Comedy who 'discovered' silent screen star Charlie Chaplin.

pick one :D

foofighter20x
10-20-2007, 01:55 PM

I agree. I'd rather dump the V for Vendetta theme and replace it with the Glorious Revolution one I mentioned above...

But Veteran's Day is just as good.

Bobby Johnson
10-20-2007, 01:56 PM
If you have too many (or too close together), they lose their meaning and not a whole lot of people participate.

My thought as well.

steph3n
10-20-2007, 01:57 PM
"1872 - Women's suffrage: In defiance of the law, suffragist Susan B. Anthony votes for the first time, and is later fined $100."

<<<------------ THIS IS AWESOME!!!

Anyone remember Anne coulter recently saying women should not be allowed to vote? Celebrate Susan B Anthony!

dircha
10-20-2007, 01:59 PM

Why?

Flirple
10-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Perhaps it is best to have competing Nov. 5th websites for the various different movie themes and let the market decide?

foofighter20x
10-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Perhaps it is best to have competing Nov. 5th websites for the various different movie themes and let the market decide?

Or, just message the owner of that site and have them add more reasons to celebrate Nov 5th.

jrich4rpaul
10-20-2007, 02:05 PM

the free market approach, absolutely

literatim
10-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Or, just message the owner of that site and have them add more reasons to celebrate Nov 5th.

He conveniently has no contact information on the site.

Drknows
10-20-2007, 02:10 PM
He conveniently has no contact information on the site.

http://www.myspace.com/thisnovember5th

Wyurm
10-20-2007, 02:13 PM
This nonsense is why I don't come here often anymore. Someone came up with a very good idea and ran with it. The only negativity I've seen about this is here. I'm sure some neo-con bloggers are whining too but that's to be expected no matter what day you do this on. Nov. 5th is already started and going, changing it now would risk the donations of those already signed up. But, the idea is not property of this board meaning you don't have the end say in it. So all you are doing is trying to railroad an idea that is already out there and flourishing. I really don't understand you guys sometimes. There are plenty of other boards dedicated to Ron Paul, I know because thats where I started spending more time. Those boards are promoting this idea. I believe that if this board promoted donating 100 dollars on Nov 5th instead of bickering about image, we could have at least 20k signers if not the rather high 100k.

Hook
10-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I already signed up, so too bad. :D
Nov. 5 it will be.

jgmaynard
10-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I think this is crazy.

1) V for Vandetta is a FICTIONAL movie.

2) V lived under a TRUE tyranny. Under a true tyranny, even violent revolt is justified - The NH Constitution explictly says so and the Founding Fathers also (grudgingly) came to that conclusion. The American Revolution was not fought with pillows.

3) Now, I'm not involved with the campaign officially, but I AM one of the media reps for the Free State Project and have been for years - I know how to get around any press inquiries about this and I'm sure that Ron's press people see it too:

"V lived under a terrible, true tyranny. This grassroots donation campaign is conceived and supported by people who have come together to throw cash, and not bombs, to make sure that a similar situation never comes to fruition in the United States."

Simple as that. Two sentences, it's quotable, distances Ron from V, shows even the fervent supporters are peaceful, and shows his grassroots appeal but brings home the idea of staving off a possible coming tyranny.

4) This is a grassroots movement. If you don't like it, start the 10/11 website! Get donations for that... This is just leaving it to the free market.

5) 10/5 and 10/11 are less than a week from each other - that means that two successful fundraisers in the same week will drive the donations up like mad.

6) This isn't meant to be cold or to chide anyone, but quite frankly, it's easy to say "You should do that" or "You shouldn't do that." It's more difficult, and more fruitful, to actually DO something about it. On the FSP and NHFree forums, we have a great response for when people say people should be doing something different: "Hey! That's a GREAT idea... I think you should do it."

That being said, I donated to the money bomb campaign today and I'll donate again soon regardless of what campaign(s), grassroots or official, are going on.

Maybe I'll do a fundraiser for Nov 16th (my birtday) to celebrate that anthem against government indoctrination in schools: "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II" being released as a single. LOL. :)

JM

dircha
10-20-2007, 02:16 PM
My opinion is that the 5th of November thing is a reasonable approach to rallying core, dedicated Ron Paul supporters to donate and to get the message out more than they otherwise would have.

As it stands right now, we do not have strong enough name recognition numbers to even be competitive for the nomination. So if this is what it takes to get more core supporters mobilized and energized and out on the streets in their home states, then I'm all for it.

In any event, we can not meet our fundraising goals unless we substantially expand our nationwide support base. And we can't afford to buy that support. And since nothing else seems to be mobilizing these people nationally, by the time the 5th of November rolls around, we are going to be in a desperate situation.

Drknows
10-20-2007, 02:18 PM
This nonsense is why I don't come here often anymore. Someone came up with a very good idea and ran with it. The only negativity I've seen about this is here. I'm sure some neo-con bloggers are whining too but that's to be expected no matter what day you do this on. Nov. 5th is already started and going, changing it now would risk the donations of those already signed up. But, the idea is not property of this board meaning you don't have the end say in it. So all you are doing is trying to railroad an idea that is already out there and flourishing. I really don't understand you guys sometimes. There are plenty of other boards dedicated to Ron Paul, I know because thats where I started spending more time. Those boards are promoting this idea. I believe that if this board promoted donating 100 dollars on Nov 5th instead of bickering about image, we could have at least 20k signers if not the rather high 100k.

Right on man! We need to embrace it, Shit Ron Paul welcomed anarchists at his one speech.
Dr. Paul's instructions, "Have Fun!!!

brumans
10-20-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree we should have themes. We should have ONE Vendetta film on the main page, one "back to the constitution" film on the main page and whatever else someone finds that is relevant (hell, someone could create a video marketing the 5th as a ron paul fundraising day and nothing else).

I'm personally creating a Vendetta film.. and I think it's going to be better than what we already have, so I guess we can vote on which videos we want to put up on the main page.

skilt
10-20-2007, 02:28 PM
There is way too much energy being devoted to stopping this fundraiser, trying to modify it. This idea that we will get bad press for it is in a word, RETARDED - as in lacking mental capability. I asked my brother, a political consultant on several successful campaigns, former executive director of a state democratic party, about the pro's and cons. His response = it's all pro. You get publicity and you get a phat check for the campaign. The people who will call us nuts (mainly the blogosphere) are the same people who will continue the name calling because they can't debate the issues. We're trying to get some serious mainstream media attention for raising 10million in one day - what's the problem. You really think if we we're able to pull this off that the MSM would be critical for using movie with a very straightforward message - giving up liberty for security is bad, to accomplish it. Hey, here's a thought, maybe people would go watch the movie, see the parallels for our current times, and support RP. Nah, that's just crazy.

For the record, though it's already been stated - this is about the character V, not guy fawlkes. One man against a tyrannical goverment. The idea that it is too bloody, off message strikes me as lame. I'm sorry to be so critical, but just because you don't get it, doesn't mean you should spend so much energy bringing it down. If you don't want to donate on the fifth, donate today- I did, tomorrow, whatever, but I encourage you to quit being so shrill in your criticism of this idea. It's doing more to detract from moving this campaign forward at the grassroots level. I'm donating on the fifth, before the fifth, and after the fifth - What are you going to do???

Sk

Hook
10-20-2007, 02:30 PM
There is no debate. People are going to do what they want to and there is NOTHING you are going to do to stop it. That is called freedom. :D

literatim
10-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree we should have themes. We should have ONE Vendetta film on the main page, one "back to the constitution" film on the main page and whatever else someone finds that is relevant (hell, someone could create a video marketing the 5th as a ron paul fundraising day and nothing else).

I'm personally creating a Vendetta film.. and I think it's going to be better than what we already have, so I guess we can vote on which videos we want to put up on the main page.

This is assuming the page creator cares. He put up the website despite the fact there were people who were outright against the idea to begin with.

jake
10-20-2007, 02:32 PM
its too late to change now. go with it, and go hard.

brumans
10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
It wouldn't be difficult to change the youtube videos on the bottom of the page at all

Bobby Johnson
10-20-2007, 02:44 PM

If what I wrote above was taken as negative thinking then I am sorry. It was not intended as such. If it helps to know, I signed up yesterday morning.:) I also intend to email the meetup groups in my area well as some of my friends tonight about this fundraising drive.

Kacela
10-20-2007, 02:56 PM
It wouldn't be difficult to change the youtube videos on the bottom of the page at all

Change it to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlPK8rrynE
Back to the Constitution day.