PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Needs a Body Language Expert

gravesdav
06-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Ron Paul definately needs stronger body language, especially during the debates. For smarter people who already support him, the message is good enough. However, as I was watching the debates he was fingering his pen, karate chopping, and pointing (i think it was a little better in the CNN debate than the FOX one). These are all horrible body language gestures which makes him come across as nervous, violent, and nuts.
For a person who is getting their first impression of Paul this could be important for them making a decision in voting for another candidate or not voting at all. The message is great, he just has to show strength, that he can lead and be a president.

kylejack
06-09-2007, 08:10 AM
I agree.

peruvianRP
06-09-2007, 08:16 AM
I would not say violent or nuts but I would say nervous. most of us here knows that his been improving as he is getting used to this mass of people. I would not worry too much but it would be a good addition to have some pro give him an advice.

beermotor
06-09-2007, 08:19 AM
This is a difficult issue. It's part of his charm. Not sure which way I fall on this. They talk about this crap in law school a lot, but it is 100% dependent on your personal style. I think his personal style comes across pretty well... i.e. he is projecting "I am not a polished politician schmuck."

lucky
06-09-2007, 08:20 AM
I have seen him do the nervous/excess energy things before also. I do the same things and it makes me identify with him more. Have to be very careful he doesn't seem too polished. He oozes sincerity and that has people drawn to him.

Revolution9
06-09-2007, 08:20 AM
I think he is a natural. He needs no coaching. That will only make a fellow like him stiffen. he is the Man of The People. I do not want to see slick and polished. I have been around actors, entertainers and musicians for a few decades. I want to see him acting naturally..not acting. Romney has been coached. Ghouliani too. They are not top tier due to their coached manner... In fact they are plastic wind up sockpuppets to the human sensibility.

I am tired of slick presentation. Mind you I hate building vanilla/manilla envelope corpoarte crap in my profession as well..but I guarantee you there are alot of folks like me in this who would be disappointed if RP stiffened. He is an intellectual.. The body language issue will divert his mind from sifting through reams of data for the right response. You want good answers or good hair? You want straight talk or straight psoture? He always keeps his hand visible when seated opposite an interviewer. The polished ones [crooks] clasp their hands.. He discusses issues like a Doctor...not a Lawyer. A patina of superficiality is not what is needed here..

Best
Randy

jon_perez
06-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Ron Paul definately needs stronger body language, especially during the debates. For smarter people who already support him, the message is good enough. However, as I was watching the debates he was fingering his pen, karate chopping, and pointing (i think it was a little better in the CNN debate than the FOX one). These are all horrible body language gestures which makes him come across as nervous, violent, and nuts.If you were talking about when Hannity was grilling him, I think it was a natural reaction because Hannity was being extremely pushy and rude.

For a person who is getting their first impression of Paul this could be important for them making a decision in voting for another candidate or not voting at all. The message is great, he just has to show strength, that he can lead and be a president.I actually find Ron Paul's body language to be very effective at conveying his points across. In one of the New Hampshire Town Hall forum videos, he was trying to explain how ineffective FEMA was in dealing with a particular disaster and the expression on his face conveyed exactly how fed up the people were with how FEMA approached their task.

tnvoter
06-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Send in the suggestion to the campaign.

mdh
06-09-2007, 08:48 AM
I like the idea. Ron Paul is a doctor, not a "career" politician really, so he probably doesn't know a lot of this stuff. It's silly, but it's a good point. To be honest, I hadn't noticed the fidgeting when he was not speaking. I think his body language is fine when he's speaking casually (like on TDS with Jon Stewart), but I'd say he should be a bit more aggressive, assertive in larger forums such as the debates where there's a lot of room and stuff. Step up to the camera like you're *getting in the face of your opponents*, y'know...

wecandoit
06-09-2007, 08:55 AM
He doesn't need to change anything..just my two cents.

Dave
06-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Ron Paul is comfortable in his own skin. I am comfortable with him.

I want his focus on his message, not worrying about superficial nonsense.

Why try to turn Dr. Paul into someone else?

Ron Paul is the candidate. We are the supporters.

kylejack
06-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Ron Paul is comfortable in his own skin. I am comfortable with him.

I want his focus on his message, not worrying about superficial nonsense.

Why try to turn Dr. Paul into someone else?

Ron Paul is the candidate. We are the supporters.

Watch the Fox debate again. He fiddles with his pen and looks very nervous. These kinds of things have an effect on how people view him.

angelatc
06-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Sadly, I have to agree. Kennedy proved that television is a visual medium.

Delivered4000
06-09-2007, 09:25 AM
But the whole idea behind Ron Paul is that he is authentic, he's not a fake like Romney or the others

gravesdav
06-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I sent a letter to the campaign. I can see how many of you feel. I don't want a fake politician either. But Ron Paul will never be fake. I think using better body language would make him seem strong and presidential. This coupled with real answers to questions and true discussion on the issues would make him seem as the strong straight-shooting president most people want.

kylejack
06-09-2007, 09:32 AM
But the whole idea behind Ron Paul is that he is authentic, he's not a fake like Romney or the others

Many people can't see past it, though. Using body language does not make Ron fake as long as his message remains genuine. It can only benefit him.

lucky
06-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I know that some think they are helping RP and that is great but leave the man alone. He has ignited mnay of us across party lines by his sincere body language and his awesome ideas. He has come a long ways from when he started.

He had no idea that when he started I am sure that his message would play like it has so fast and so far and so deeply. I have seen this man quickly move into a role that most people would crumble under but he just smiles and carries on. At the end of the NH debate when he stood and walked to the front of the stage and said what he thought about the morals of the country and bitch slapped the candidates was so awesome that I will now follow this man through to the end no matter what. Now at that time showed the most confidence anyone could show and also showed us all that he is ready to carry on.

He just needs us to help carry the message to as many people as possible and get as many donations as possible for this upcoming battle that is so uphill that I wouldn't even consider trying. With all of us though he may make it.

Stay focused on our duties and what needs done. Ron Paul will be just fine.

Mattsa
06-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Ron Paul definately needs stronger body language, especially during the debates. For smarter people who already support him, the message is good enough. However, as I was watching the debates he was fingering his pen, karate chopping, and pointing (i think it was a little better in the CNN debate than the FOX one). These are all horrible body language gestures which makes him come across as nervous, violent, and nuts.
For a person who is getting their first impression of Paul this could be important for them making a decision in voting for another candidate or not voting at all. The message is great, he just has to show strength, that he can lead and be a president.

I disagree. He comes across as a real person. He speaks the truth.......unscripted! something none of the others can do.

I couldn't give a damn if he fiddles with his pen!

Reminds me of our old PM Harold Wilson who used to smoke his pipe while addressing the people on television! LOL!

1k9
06-09-2007, 10:38 AM
This is a difficult issue. It's part of his charm. Not sure which way I fall on this. They talk about this crap in law school a lot, but it is 100% dependent on your personal style. I think his personal style comes across pretty well... i.e. he is projecting "I am not a polished politician schmuck."

Couldn't agree more.

Carl_S
06-09-2007, 11:11 AM
I agree. Speaking on camera is just a skill that is learned. It has nothing to do with who you are. Paul just needs to spend a couple of days with a good PR coach. I've done it and there really is not that much to it. Just some simple guidelines on what to do with your hands, body position, tone of voice and how to handle aggressive interviewers. Most importantly, learn and practice how to get your message across in a clear and concise statement -- then shut up.

Paul is making really obvious and amateur presentation mistakes. I think he likes to keep a lean and mean staff, what 5 or 6 people? Half of those are lawyers. Spending some of that donation money on a good coach will absolutely improve his presentation.

I think this is THE ISSUE for Paul. His message is good. His presentation is not, and that's what makes the first impression.

Benhogan
06-09-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm sure RP and his staff are well aware of this. He's been in politics long enough, he has to be aware.

Personally, I love his natural style. I find the honesty he exudes to be his most endearing quality. He had me convinced he was telling the truth the first time I ever heard him!

My wish is that he could be heard by more people.

propanes
06-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Just an observation or two..

Ron is more comfortable addressing a crowd or in a one on one interview. When he is faced with multiple questioners he is less so.

During the debate, while seated Ron's posture was slouched with head tilted forward. The body language may send a message that detractors will exploit in a campaign. I read somewhere that Ron has had knee surgeries; there is a relation between body posture and individual joint health.

Avalon
06-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I too think some coaching would be money well spent, but I don't feel like we're involved in this decision and therefore discussing it is of little consequence...especially compared to organizing to get his message out and exposure in general.

mconder
06-09-2007, 11:40 AM
He needs people who will go out at the local level and campaign hard for him a lot more than "Body Lanuguage Training." Join your local Meetup!

Erazmus
06-09-2007, 12:02 PM
He doesn't need to change anything..just my two cents.

Agreed. Anytime you have a candidate who acts like a typical politician, I automatically assume he's one of the cookie cutter kind. Ron is different and his approach is real. To coin a phrase, he's keeping it real. Besides, I'd rather Ron focus on his message during the debates than him wondering if his arms are moving in the right direction.

Ron has an honesty about him. I don't want him to change that. People know he is human, I think that's part of his advantage.

Carl_S
06-09-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm sure RP and his staff are well aware of this. He's been in politics long enough, he has to be aware.

Personally, I love his natural style. I find the honesty he exudes to be his most endearing quality. He had me convinced he was telling the truth the first time I ever heard him!

My wish is that he could be heard by more people.

I'm afraid not. Look, I'm as strong a supporter of Paul as you will find. But I watched the 2nd debate in a room filled with people that didn't know who Ron Paul was. They LOVED Giuliani's attack. They thought Hannity, "really shut that guy up." And no, they didn't go search YouTube to find Paul's rebuttal the next day and they've never read the articles that vindicated Paul's statement.

Paul's statement was fine, the presentation was not. It just makes our job so much harder to bring those people back from the abyss.

As for being in politics long enough; I'm afraid most of that has been making prepared speeches on the floor of congress or in front of receptive audiences. This is a whole different animal. You have seconds to get your point across to an audience that will barely listen to what you are saying.

Paul's message is not an easy sell -- even if it is right. Abolish the IRS, close Homeland Security, DEA, FDA, EPA. If you're going to have a chance in hell of selling that, you are going to need all the tools you can get -- because it's not going to be easy. Presentation is just a tool. He needs to pick up that tool and master it quick. This is all going to be over in a few months.

Paul cannot afford to make his job any harder than it already is. He needs a good website. He needs a polished presentation. The website is checked off, now get a presentation consultant and check that off too.

Therion
06-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't care so much about his body language, but I wish that he wouldn't stumble over his words. It shows that he hasn't been coached into just pitching an issue line, relevant to the actual question or not, but still.

CJLauderdale4
06-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I must agree, that I did notice the finger pointing being used a lot. Now it worked great when he pointed down to the middle three Rudy McRomney seats during the Town Hall portion when addressing spending on the pre-emptive wars, but when speaking with the people at home, you'll see the more polished Rudy McRomney sideshow using the subtle chop, the hands together embracing, the finger counting, etc. These are very effective and polished techniques.

Let's go Ron!! We know you can do it!!

mikelovesgod
06-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm afraid not. Look, I'm as strong a supporter of Paul as you will find. But I watched the 2nd debate in a room filled with people that didn't know who Ron Paul was. They LOVED Giulani's attack. They thought Hannity, "really shut that guy up." And no, they didn't go search YouTube to find Paul's rebuttal the next day and they've never read the articles that vindicated Paul's statement.

Paul's statement was fine, the presentation was not. It just makes our job so much harder to bring those people back from the abyss.

As for being in politics long enough; I'm afraid most of that has been making prepared speeches on the floor of congress or in front of receptive audiences. This is a whole different animal. You have seconds to get your point across to an audience that will barely listen to what you are saying.

Paul's message is not an easy sell -- even if it is right. Abolish the IRS, close Homeland Security, DEA, FDA, EPA. If you're going to have a chance in hell of selling that, you are going to need all the tools you can get -- because it's not going to be easy. Presentation is just a tool. He needs to pick up that tool and master it quick. This is all going to be over in a few months.

Paul cannot afford to make his job any harder than it already is. He needs a good website. He needs a polished presentation. The website is checked off, now get a presentation consultant and check that off too.

That's a spot on analysis. People are so brain-washed that we need all this extra baggage or "we're all gonna die". Fear is a powerful tool. So powerful you can't minimize it's effect. When someone thinks taking away these things are going to cause their death or the death of millions try to stop them thinking rationally.

I remember Clinton doing that to Dole in the debates. People froze... they thought, "He's going to make me eat cat food and starve to death if they take away my benefits???" Sorry, fear mongering works. Giuliani "won" telling off Ron Paul. Paul should have immediately said, "I didn't say we invited anything, it should be you re-tracting your comments. What I said was that we have to have a true analysis of what they said are the reasons why they attacked us." He should have started with that line also in the 3rd debate and used the 3 CIA officers who corroborate with this thinking.

Don't think people are so smart they are going to start to understand how these things help the country. They aren't and when people smell fear their ability to reason goes out the window.

joshdvm
06-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I like it when he leans up against the podium, arms crossed holding a pen. I think the pen is a statesmanlike touch, and this demeanor looks very presidential to me.

winston84
06-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I'd have to agree with the idea that Ron Paul needs to project better body language. The key here is confidence, even if Ron Paul's message is right on and authentic, some viewers will be turned off because he doesn't exude confidence.

I know he is a humble and modest man, but I don't think there is nothing wrong with being confident about winning the presidency. This is not even all body language... For example, like during the Daily Show interview, when asked about Romney the only thing he responded with is that his polling numbers were high. Some people can't get the crafted word "2nd tier" out of their mind and RP needs to start being assured of his presidency.

Carl_S
06-09-2007, 01:24 PM
"Presentation is the difference between an author and a President."

Ron Paul is a great man. He's a man who has shown tremendous strength and courage by standing alone in defense of what is right.

Paul is strong enough to accept criticism from his friends and supporters. I have no doubt about that.

Everyone makes mistakes. Just fix them and move on. The country needs Ron Paul.

sunny
06-10-2007, 03:18 PM
hi,
i totally agree - ron paul is great the way he is because that IS the way he is - he doesn't need to change anything!
i met him and hung out with him at the liberty forum fundraiser (in new hampshire this past february, put together by the free state project) and that's just the way he is!
when he got up and spoke to us all he was so easy going and easy to listen to.
he took the time to speak with anyone who wanted to speak with him, pose for pictures with him - whatever! all i could do was smile and think "wow, i have finally met this beautiful man!"
he is a gentleman and a scholar! - cliche but soooooooo true!

sooooooo, i wouldn't change a thing - he's fine just the way he is!!!

sunny

Bradley in DC
06-10-2007, 03:26 PM
He is who he is and he ain't gonna change.

That said, I do know that when he receives outpourings of support it really boosts him--and that comes across. If you want to help in this front, do more to show support around the country.

sunny
06-10-2007, 03:28 PM
joshdvm,
this one's for you. i totally agree. that stance i believe was right after giuliani asked him to retract his statement and dr. paul was so cool and comfortable about his answer...i loved the way he was standing kinda leaning on the podium looking totally relaxed and taking his time and the way he addressed giuliani.
that was a perfect example of how dr. paul gives such darn good answers and NEVER puts down the person or refers to anyone directly - he disagrees with what they are saying - NOT the person! It's so beautiful and he is such a gentleman for doing that....he is the personification of a true statesman! - he IS the only true statesman of the gang of 535!
god bless dr. paul!

sunny

Arkris
06-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't think he needs a body language expert at all. When he talks, he looks like he's being thoughtful and honest; He isn't the typical "slick" politician, and that's his selling point. His honesty is what puts him above all the other candidates and I think that acting like he was coached would really hurt that aspect.

LibertyEagle
06-10-2007, 06:09 PM
He likes to exercise. Perhaps he could work some of the nervous energy off he did something like ride his exercise bike a couple of hours before he went to the next debate.

I agree he is fidgeting too much and in the last debate he stuttered pretty heavily on one question. The only reason I'm raising this is because I want people to hear his message. It is so very powerful. Some of these other things get in the way, unfortunately, for some people.

LibertyEagle
06-10-2007, 06:12 PM
I sent a letter to the campaign. I can see how many of you feel. I don't want a fake politician either. But Ron Paul will never be fake. I think using better body language would make him seem strong and presidential. This coupled with real answers to questions and true discussion on the issues would make him seem as the strong straight-shooting president most people want.

I'm glad you did that. I just love this guy, but this is needed to keep the focus on his message. Thanks for following through.

denvervoipguru
06-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Nobody loves the Doctor more than me, but as someone who's delivered hundreds of presentations to groups, and been a member of groups like Toastmasters...I can tell you this stuff is important.

Experts have long known that communication is largely nonverbal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Mehrabian).

With this in mind, my observations are:

1) Watch your Replays of Your own Debates for Confidence-Building: I've head this man speak and he wow's me with the instantaneous commands of relevant facts and historical references that he's able to use when he speaks. Why? He just plain knows the material. He's very well-read and well-studied.

2) Keep up with the well tailored suits. Earlier in the campaign I was noticing the occasional "baggy-looking" suit that was not complementary. He's a very fit, virile looking man for his age. He's got a good upright and confident posture and when he wears a well-tailored suit that's not loose fitting, he looks great!

3) Relax & Slow down when You Can: Be more slow and deliberate when the timer's not running. Nobody gets more hard-hitting truth into the time-limited debate sequences than Dr. Paul. He EXCELS at this. He also sounds most confident and self-assured when he's speaking under-the-gun like this.

BUT... When you're sitting casually with John Stewart or Bill Maher or the like...RELAX. Take your time. You're the star man...they're not going to cut you off. He talked over and interrupted John Stewart several times and it makes him appear to be desperate or backed into a conrner, etc.

The slower, more deliberate speech will also convey an air of seriousness to the subject matter.

4) Keep Strong and Aggressive on Two things Especially:

A) Out of Iraq. "I'm not a pacifist"..."I suggested letters of marque and reprisal"..."I'm a combat veteran"..."Constitutional restrictions of the Exec Branch", etc.

B) The Republicans CAN'T WIN A GENERAL ELECTION with a pro IRAQ War nominee, PERIOD.

Seer
06-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Three things he can do for body language:

1. He needs to get his elbows away from his body. Watch the debates, he almost all ways has his elbows tucked into his torso and his forearms angled outwards.

2. He needs to find the camera at the next debate and speak directly and plainly to the camera: "I will do what no other candidate in either party will do: I will get you us of Iraq and I will keep us out of the next Iraq."

3. Keep chopping, that was some of his better body language he used.

jfer45
06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
If it brings in more supporters, I agree with the original poster. I somewhat enjoy his style. It doesn't come off to me as being arrogant, flippant, or elitist which in my opinion is a good characteristic. However, I do not think his problem is his body language, but rather his voice. he doesn't have a strong voice; it is not commanding or assertive. It might have something to do with being nervous, but it seems that this "nervousness" is just natural adrenaline.

I'd take Paul's "nervous" reason over Obama's rhetoric any day.