PDA

View Full Version : Target, the dog who survived Afghan war and melted hearts on Oprah, mistakenly put do

cindy25
11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330088/Afghanistan-dog-hero-mistake-Arizona-animal-shelter.html

jmhudak17
11-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Sad story.

MozoVote
11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
While sad, the root cause of the story was the owner not having identifying tags on the dog or a secure yard for it. Any number of dangers can happen to a loose animal.

oyarde
11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
While sad, the root cause of the story was the owner not having identifying tags on the dog or a secure yard for it. Any number of dangers can happen to a loose animal.

I have been places where they would be eaten .

squarepusher
11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
survived afghanistan, can't survive US government agency!

youngbuck
11-16-2010, 08:06 PM
survived afghanistan, can't survive US government agency!

And there you have it - what we should really be fearing.

cindy25
11-16-2010, 08:10 PM

no, the root cause is having government in charge of lost animals. they can't do right anymore than they can run the post office.

in many areas non-profits such as adopt a pet have no kill shelters

james1906
11-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Some of you know I do dog rescue. Most animal shelters in this country are packed full, and even with volunteers, there's still more work than they can handle. People are just irresponsible and when they have a dog or cat they don't want anymore, they expect the government to bail them out. Backyard breeders only magnify the problem because they'll dump the animals they can't sell out on a country road or turn them in to a shelter. Backyard breeder dogs and cats also tend to have numerous health problems, so people who buy the dogs and cats also let them loose or turn them into the shelter.

This was negligence by the shelter, but I can understand how it happened. It's really important to at least put a tag on your dog and make sure you have a secure fence and gate. The sad matter is most get euthanized.

cindy25
11-16-2010, 08:22 PM
there should be a civil suit, against the shelter and personally against the murderer. have it go to a jury. I bet the son of a bitch murderer would end up losing his house, and next time a dog catcher would think twice.

oyarde
11-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Some of you know I do dog rescue. Most animal shelters in this country are packed full, and even with volunteers, there's still more work than they can handle. People are just irresponsible and when they have a dog or cat they don't want anymore, they expect the government to bail them out. Backyard breeders only magnify the problem because they'll dump the animals they can't sell out on a country road or turn them in to a shelter. Backyard breeder dogs and cats also tend to have numerous health problems, so people who buy the dogs and cats also let them loose or turn them into the shelter.

This was negligence by the shelter, but I can understand how it happened. It's really important to at least put a tag on your dog and make sure you have a secure fence and gate. The sad matter is most get euthanized.

Hard to believe they would not put a tag on the collar . I always put them on my bird dogs with my name and address .

Icymudpuppy
11-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Just idiotic to not put a tag on your dog. Unlike a person, who can usually at least ask directions home if they get lost, (alzheimers excepted, but they usually wear a wristband) A dog has only one way to communicate where home is to strangers. A Tag with the Address and Phone number.

My dog gets out of the yard from time to time. Usually when a careless visitor leaves the gate open, and being a curious fellow, he wanders off and gets lost. I always get a call within a few hours at most when he wanders up to some friendly person looking for a treat.

As a professional trapper, 8 times I have captured lost dogs in various wildlife traps and had to call around to shelters to find the owner by asking if anyone had reported a missing dog, and Twice I have been hired to help people find their lost dogs. Guess what. In all cases, the people didn't put a tag on their dog's collar.

You wouldn't let your child leave home without a way to communicate with back home if needed. Why would you let your dog do it?

angelatc
11-16-2010, 11:55 PM
I didn't want to read the article, but dogs slip collars. Microchipping is very inexpensive, and the can't pull out of them.

Of course the should have tags, so your neighbor can call you, but almost all shelters scan for chips before they adopt the animal out, or worse.

cindy25
11-17-2010, 12:17 AM
dogs have incredible homing instincts; we had a terrier mix about 10 years ago who got out by scaling a 5 ft wall, and was lost for 2 months. despite endless looking she just disappeared.

but suddenly in the middle of the night 2 months later she was barking to come in.

if the stupid neighbor had minded her own business this would not have happened.

james1906
11-17-2010, 08:15 AM
if the stupid neighbor had minded her own business this would not have happened.

People need to know that if they send an animal to the shelter, it will likely be euthanized. If you find an animal in your neighborhood, hold on to the animal and put up flyers. Post on craigslist, etc. It's usually easy to tell looking at an animal if it has an owner or not.

Artie Fufkin
11-17-2010, 09:13 AM
we had to put our dog down today so this really breaks my heart

Cowlesy
11-17-2010, 09:14 AM

ah man, sorry to hear that, Artie. :(

angelatc
11-17-2010, 09:19 AM

I am so sorry.

I have a cat that is 17, and she is failing fast. I've spent the last few days trying to talk myself into taking her in that one last time. Been there, done that - it never gets easier.

libertarian4321
11-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I didn't want to read the article, but dogs slip collars. Microchipping is very inexpensive, and the can't pull out of them.

Yup, collars can come off easily. Also, sometimes the little metal tag holders fall off the collar.

If more people supported no-kill shelters and spay-neuter programs, far less dogs would be killed at government pounds each year.

BamaAla
11-18-2010, 01:55 AM

So sorry man. I've never had to put animal down, but I have three at present and I can't imagine what you're going through. :-(

I am so sorry.

I have a cat that is 17, and she is failing fast. I've spent the last few days trying to talk myself into taking her in that one last time. Been there, done that - it never gets easier.

One of those three animals I have is a 17 year old Persian named Pandora. She has had some health problems of late as well but is starting to look up. My thought are with you; I hope she gets better soon.

This story is a sad one. I've got a big ole soft spot for animals and this really does hurt my heart.

cindy25
11-18-2010, 02:24 AM
People need to know that if they send an animal to the shelter, it will likely be euthanized. If you find an animal in your neighborhood, hold on to the animal and put up flyers. Post on craigslist, etc. It's usually easy to tell looking at an animal if it has an owner or not.

this is exactly the point few people understand. calling a government animal shelter is the same as calling the Gestapo in 1930s Germany on your Jewish neighbor.