PDA

View Full Version : California Prop 19 failed: analysis

american.swan
11-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Proposition 19 in California would have legalized marijuana, but it fell short. Victory seemed almost a foregone conclusion for many; after all, it is California. For millions, both in California and across the country, news of Prop. 19's failure came as a major disappointment. However, it should be considered a great victory for such a radical measure to get 46 percent of the vote in open defiance of federal law, especially considering the intense opposition. Plans are already in the works to put the initiative back on the ballot for the 2012 election, which is expected to have higher turnout from young people. But in order for the ballot initiative to succeed, we must first understand why it failed....(Read more at the link)

http://mises.org/daily/4842

klamath
11-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Absolute bullsh*t on saying the ads were misleading on granting special rights. It very clearly made it absoutely impossible for a business to fire someone that continued to show up stoned. The proponents can twist and lie all they want that it didn't mean that but it did. I didn't realize until afterwards why they put that section in there. A judge had ruled that a medical MJ 615 permit did not protect you from getting fired at work for being stoned so they decided to try and close the loophole with the tricky worded antidiscrimination clause.

dannno
11-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Absolute bullsh*t on saying the ads were misleading on granting special rights. It very clearly made it absoutely impossible for a business to fire someone that continued to show up stoned. The proponents can twist and lie all they want that it didn't mean that but it did. I didn't realize until afterwards why they put that section in there. A judge had ruled that a medical MJ 615 permit did not protect you from getting fired at work for being stoned so they decided to try and close the loophole with the tricky worded antidiscrimination clause.

Um, actually I'm pretty sure you were tricked.

The truth, of course, is that students, nurses, and truck drivers can be prevented from getting high before showing up, just as they are prevented from getting drunk.

From HuffPo:

"It's just stupid to suggest people could legally show up to work high," said Michael Whitney, a spokesman for the Just Say Now campaign, which is backing the measure. "It's no more of an issue than someone showing up at work drunk, and would be handled the same way."

The language of the initiative is written to prevent employers from firing workers for smoking pot in their free time. If the proposition passes, according to the California Legislative Analyst's Office, "employers would retain existing rights to address consumption of marijuana that impairs an employee's job performance."

BenIsForRon
11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
bump for great article.

I always had a sneaking suspicion against those "Stoners against legalization". It's just so sad to see people vote against the liberty of their neighbors out of pure self-interest.