PDA

View Full Version : Murkowski leads by 1,706 - 7,601 ballots challenged by Miller

JacobG18
11-16-2010, 04:06 PM
The Murkowski campaign is all but claiming victory as Sen. Lisa Murkowski leads Joe Miller by more than 1,700 votes after Monday's review of write-in ballots.

The Division of Elections has now counted 92,164 votes for Murkowski and 90,458 for Miller. Murkowski's number will grow as the state continues to go through write-in ballots today, looking to see what name voters wrote on them.

More than 8,000 write-in ballots remain to be looked at. The trend since counting began last week has been for the Division of Elections to count more than 97 percent of them for Murkowski.

Murkowski campaign manager Kevin Sweeney said he won't be claiming victory until all the votes are counted. But, assuming the trend continues, Sweeney said Miller has to be thinking about giving up. Sweeney said he doesn't see how the math works out for Miller to think it's going to do him any good to keep trying to get the courts to toss out misspelled ballots. It looks like there will be enough perfectly spelled ballots for Murkowski to win, Sweeney said.

"It's hard for me to figure that they would be able to look at these numbers and come up with any reasonable move other than facing the fact that Lisa Murkowski won the election," Sweeney said.

The Miller campaign insists that's not the case. Miller spokesman Randy DeSoto said he still thinks the court challenge could get enough votes thrown out for Miller to win.

"The race is far from over," DeSoto said.

The review of write-in ballots began last Wednesday and should essentially finish in the next day or so. The Murkowski campaign's numbers show another 10,000 write-ins remain to be counted. It predicts that Murkowski is going to end up with a total exceeding 100,000 votes given the trend of the count.

That could give Murkowski a lead over Miller in the 10,000-vote range once the counting is over.

Miller ballot observers so far have challenged 7,601 of the votes the state has counted for Murkowski. Miller has filed a lawsuit asking the federal courts to throw out the challenged ballots that are misspelled or otherwise not written perfectly.

But some of the ballots that Miller observers challenged were clearly spelled right and looked to be filled in correctly. So it's likely that not all the challenged ballots would be tossed, even if Miller ended up winning the lawsuit.

Miller spokesman DeSoto, though, said the race is still in play. He said he believes Miller and Murkowski will end up with about the same total of votes, if you subtract the votes Miller challenged but the Division of Elections counted.

Miller argues that state law doesn't allow misspelled votes. But the state and the Murkowski campaign say Alaska courts have indicated in the past that if "voter intent" can be determined from the ballot -- such as if a slight misspelling still produced a name that sounded like "Murkowski" -- that should be the standard.

Miller has said he would drop the fight if it was obvious he couldn't win. But his campaign said Monday that time hasn't arrived.

"At the end of six days of ballot counting, the race between Joe Miller and Lisa Murkowski is still very close," DeSoto said.

Miller was hoping to get a boost from absentee ballots. But Monday was the last big count of absentees and there turned out to be more write-ins than Miller votes.

Only about 600 absentee ballots remain to be counted later this week from military and overseas addresses, according to the Division of Elections.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/11/15/1555926/murkowski-passes-miller-in-vote.html#ixzz15UArgJH9

kahless
11-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Likely rigged. The Progressives in the media have been over the top in support of Murkowski. Probably a signal to their minions in AK to do what they can to ensure a RINO win.

Katie Couric last night spent 10 minutes of the evening news gushing over Murkowski last night as if she was their hero that already won.

oyarde
11-16-2010, 04:32 PM
That is pretty close .

MRoCkEd
11-16-2010, 04:36 PM
It's over, guys.

As sad as this is, Joe Miller will not be a Senator.. :(

AGRP
11-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Don't cry.

There will be plenty of Joe Millers to come.

Maximus
11-16-2010, 05:36 PM
grrrrrrrrrr

nate895
11-16-2010, 05:47 PM
It's over, guys.

As sad as this is, Joe Miller will not be a Senator.. :(

I'll wait for the court fight, but I won't get my hopes up.

low preference guy
11-16-2010, 05:49 PM
^agree. let's watch the court fight. that bitch needs to go home.

nate895
11-16-2010, 05:53 PM
^agree. let's watch the court fight. that bitch needs to go home.

Seriously. In many other states her votes wouldn't count on the grounds of "sore loser laws," where a failed primary candidate cannot file at all for the GE. Let's face it, she was just a sore loser. Miller beat her fair-and-square in the primary, and she should've endorsed him and Miller could have ran some TV ads, and won the race easily. His negatives came from gaffes and a smear campaign.

low preference guy
11-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Let's face it, she was just a sore loser. Miller beat her fair-and-square in the primary, and she should've endorsed him and Miller could have ran some TV ads, and won the race easily. His negatives came from gaffes and a smear campaign.

I don't know how so many Alaskans could've voted for her. As some other forum member said, they had to go out of their way to keep an establishment person in the Senate... *scratch head*

oyarde
11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't know how so many Alaskans could've voted for her. As some other forum member said, they had to go out of their way to keep an establishment person in the Senate... *scratch head*

I cannot figure that out as well .

wormyguy
11-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I cannot figure that out as well .
It's because Alaskans get $1.88 from the federal government for every $1 they pay in taxes, and Miller had the temerity to suggest eliminating pork . . .

itshappening
11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Miller ran a bad campaign from what I can tell

his ads were pretty lame and his campaign was not as slick as Rand who could have easily have gotten "Millered" in Kentucky who also get lots of pork but Miller didn't do it right

the other sad one is how many people in CO voted for that tool Bennet.

wormyguy
11-16-2010, 06:45 PM
If the incident with the blogger had never happened, Miller would likely have won.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Joe Miller, like Rand Paul at the end ("stomping" incident), had supporters who publicly weren't helping and appeared in opposition television commercials:

YouTube - Joe's America - TV AD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL73qsXeW2U)