PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Days (Nov 11) Rather than November 5th

DeadheadForPaul
10-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Some of us have discussed doing a Veterans' Days fundraising push rather than Nov 5th.

Veterans Day is linked to patriotism and supporting the military. We can have the media report on the military donations to Paul making him #1 as well as Dr. Paul's support of the military men and women. You cant spin this a negative way!!! It'll actually make us look a lot better and may even convert some conservatives who were hesitant as well as give us name recognition

Additionally Nov 11 is on a weekend - Nov 5 is on a Monday

The V for Vendetta thing is not well known. I could understand if we were linking to Braveheart (FREEDOM!) but V for Vendetta is not popular among the masses and many people see V as a terrorist.

The Media would LOVE to show RP supporters as wearing creepy masks from some cult movie that no one has seen. I LOVE V for Vendetta but this is going to freak out potential voters. If my grandparents (RP supporters now) saw this before they learned about Dr. Paul, they would think our supporters are a bunch of kooks. I just dont see why we should give the MSM any ammo. I agree with you that the media would be wrong to link Dr. Paul and his supporters to domestic terrorism but LET'S FACE IT: That's Reality. The media and our opponents are looking for ANYTHING to discredit us. Let's not help them to discredit us

DrNoZone
10-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Yes! This is a GOOD idea! I would actually sign up if it were changed (there's no way I'm signing up as it is now).

tfelice
10-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Great idea. I never understood the purpose of tying Dr Paul's support to a movie that not many people are familiar with.

jaumen
10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
If it changes, I'll donate on whatever day it changes to, but I see no reason to change it. There's been what, a handful of blogs talking about it in a negative light? It is such a stretch to construe this as bad, I just don't see it. No one in their right mind would think we advocate blowing up buildings because we're donating on that day.

Ron Paul Fan
I never vote yes, but I did this time and would encourage everyone else(except CasualApathy) to join me in voting the same.

Vvick727
sounds good, but as long as we get this new goal of 430k reached

if we are short of this goal, donate at that moment so we can reach it. don't wait for the 5th or 11th

frasu
10-20-2007, 12:02 PM
True that... and again, it could be a bust of military donations that day!

All ideas are good ideas when are well intended, and I think the same. the V Day is a good idea, but we need to be appeal to the general population... It's time for strategy.

Like other said, if people that we know well, family, are freaked out, how we are going to be able to continue to promote RP

brumans
10-20-2007, 12:02 PM
It's too late. We already have over $400,000 pledged for that day and more being added each day. We can't change it now.. that would confuse people and mess everything up. This is going to be a great donation day for Dr. Paul, and that's all that matters.. regardless of the date.

Drknows
10-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Hey Ron Paul attracts all kinds of people why cant we do both? Is part of the proceeds going to veterans? Do you see what im getting at?

A few people already dumped some money into the 5th idea why crash it?

Kacela
10-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Sounds good. I'll donate $100 each of these days. November 5th to me is the anniversary of the Glorious Revolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution)

MsDoodahs
10-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Dr Knows is right - DO BOTH!

Nothing is prohibiting the start up of a Veterans Day donation drive, nothing at all!

The more things like this we have set up, the BETTER because the appeal is across all sorts of lines, and none of us fit into one specific box, anyway.

:)

tfelice
There's been what, a handful of blogs talking about it in a negative light? It is such a stretch to construe this as bad, I just don't see it.

A handful of blogs now, talk radio & the MSM on the 5th. The globalists will use every opportunity to attack Paul that they can. Someone has a 9/11 truth bumper sticker next to his Paul sticker and all of a sudden all Paul supporters are 9/11 truthers. The handful of people that frequent stormfront like Paul and all of a sudden Ron Paul supporters are white supremacists.

No one in their right mind would think we advocate blowing up buildings because we're donating on that day.

We live in a soundbite culture. Most people do not pay attention to the details, but only read/hear the headlines. "A flood of donations for Ron Paul come in on the day commemorating the acts of a domestic terrorist" is all the general public needs to hear to plant negative thoughts about Paul in their heads.

DeadheadForPaul
I wonder if the campaign would get on this and start a Veterans Day donation drive with the thermometer - that'd be AWESOME

jgmaynard
10-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I look at it like the poster someone did saying "Ron Paul RLOVEution" and showing a masked guy throwing flowers. We're also fighting against tyranny, but instead of throwing bombs, we are throwing money. :O)

JM

katao
10-20-2007, 12:09 PM
For those wanting both - the beauty and power of a single day fundraiser is to see how much can be raised in just one day. It will get the media's attention one way or the other - let's center it around a patriotic, worthy holiday!

ronpaulitician
10-20-2007, 12:11 PM
None of the above. (meaning "both")

cjhowe
10-20-2007, 12:11 PM
The 5th of November makes for potential MSM coverage. News people, they don't like to work. Let's hand them the headline.

tfelice
10-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I wonder if the campaign would get on this and start a Veterans Day donation drive with the thermometer - that'd be AWESOME

They should. Otherwise the crowd that has this fundraising day centered around the movie could wind up hurting the campaign.

The more time I am spending here, I am coming to a conclusion. The grassroots movement will either be the reason Paul gets elected, or the death of his candidacy.

brumans
10-20-2007, 12:15 PM
The November 5th fundraising drive is not going to hurt the campaign, it's going to do the complete opposite. You guys are !@#$ing stupid.

jrich4rpaul
10-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Both. The more fundraising days we get, the better. When you organize a specific day to donate, it's easier to get people motivated. So money bombs, special donation days, etc are all good ideas. Keep em frequent.

steph3n
10-20-2007, 12:16 PM
the HQ starting a Veterans Day fund raiser would be awesome too!

jaumen
10-20-2007, 12:17 PM
A handful of blogs now, talk radio & the MSM on the 5th. The globalists will use every opportunity to attack Paul that they can. Someone has a 9/11 truth bumper sticker next to his Paul sticker and all of a sudden all Paul supporters are 9/11 truthers. The handful of people that frequent stormfront like Paul and all of a sudden Ron Paul supporters are white supremacists.

We live in a soundbite culture. Most people do not pay attention to the details, but only read/hear the headlines. "A flood of donations for Ron Paul come in on the day commemorating the acts of a domestic terrorist" is all the general public needs to hear to plant negative thoughts about Paul in their heads.

And yet I haven't seen a single piece in the MSM calling Ron Paul a white supremacist... nor much at all about him having much to do with 9/11 truthers (a handful of interviews where they asked about him being on Alex Jones, that's about it)....

allyinoh
10-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't think it should be moved. I know people like Malkin try to associate it with bad, but I see it more as good.

It's about symbolism. It's too late, we should go ahead as planned and people should just make sure to tell people it's more about symbolism than the movie.

Beerhall Agitator
10-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Add an option for BOTH!

RadioDJforPaul
10-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Guys I think if we dont move it, some people arent going to give now on the 5th. Some posters are now worried about getting bad press coverage. I think if we move it, we could get more money.

DeadheadForPaul
10-20-2007, 12:32 PM
They should. Otherwise the crowd that has this fundraising day centered around the movie could wind up hurting the campaign.

The more time I am spending here, I am coming to a conclusion. The grassroots movement will either be the reason Paul gets elected, or the death of his candidacy.

It will build up his candidacy but possibly destroy it as well

literatim
10-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I say move it and change the theme "For the Troops". Who runs the website anyway?

NewEnd
10-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Nov 5 will kick Nov 11's ass

;)

CasualApathy
10-20-2007, 12:44 PM
I must say, I am starting to be unsure about the nov 5 idea. I've been for it from the beginning, but the more i think about it, the more i worry about the press. Besides....

Is anyone here seriously going to withdraw their donation if we do veterans-day instead?

literatim
10-20-2007, 12:45 PM
I think the publicity would be better if it was done on Veterans day. Period.

winston_blade
10-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Veteran's Day. Play it safe, plus it gives us more time to get more people signed up.

Sean
10-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Nov. 5th is already started. Why change focus? Saying that I wouldn't mind both.

Keith
I voted for 11/11/07 because the big thing is not to give the opposition a tool to use against Ron Paul.

literatim
Nov. 5th is already started. Why change focus? Saying that I wouldn't mind both.

Who started it exactly?

It certainly wasn't me. I won't contribute to it.

Zack
10-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Yes, Veteran's Day. Not Nov 5th. Not both.

Nov 5th is already getting bad press and it's a TWO WEEKS AWAY. yikes.

Oct. 30th would also make sense, to see how close we can get to the monthly goal.

DeadheadForPaul
10-20-2007, 01:01 PM

How hard would it be for the owner of the website to change "5" to "11"...It's not like there is some huge organization/bureaucracy involved.

It's just a pledge that people donate on a certain day. It'd be VERY easy to move it 6 days later

Ozwest
10-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I may be wrong, but are some old- time Republicans having a hard time dealing with the ever-increasing new blood?

DeadheadForPaul
10-20-2007, 01:05 PM
An example of how blogs can affect mainstream media: Ron Paul's military donations!

Journalists are lazy and often recycle stories. They also check out political blogs to expose news to the masses.

Dont underestimate the ability of "some conservative witch's story on RP = a terrorist named V" to hit USA Today, New york Times, ABC, Faux, etc

tfelice
10-20-2007, 01:07 PM
I may be wrong, but are some old- time Republicans having a hard time dealing with the ever-increasing new blood?

As a 20+ year Republican (does that make me old-time) I appreciate the spirit of the younger supporters. I just think that they are forgetting the need to be pragmatic at times. I also think the younger crowd hasn't experienced the things that us older folks have with regards to seeing campaigns sabotaged by the MSM.

DeadheadForPaul
10-20-2007, 01:08 PM
It's important for us to put ourselves in the place of Joe and Jane American. Most Americans dont know anythng about politics. They just know soundbites. They dont care about the reasons behind issues - sometimes, they dont even care about the issues themselves.

Reputation and perception are EVERYTHING when it comes to elections. It sucks but that's reality. I dont make the rules of the social/political game; I just recognize the rules and play by them. Sometimes you gotta use the system in order to bring it down

tfelice
10-20-2007, 01:09 PM
It's important for us to put ourselves in the place of Joe and Jane American. Most Americans dont know anythng about politics. They just know soundbites. They dont care about the reasons behind issues - sometimes, they dont even care about the issues themselves.

Reputation and perception are EVERYTHING when it comes to elections. It sucks but that's reality. I dont make the rules of the social/political game; I just recognize the rules and play by them. Sometimes you gotta use the system in order to bring it down

Ditto. One of the reasons Nixon lost the 1960 election was because how he looked in the televised debate. Kennedy wore a light blue shirt which appeared as crisp white on B&W television. Nixon wore a white shirt, which appeared dingy on TV. This simple act made Kennedy look younger & fresher than his opponent, even though Nixon was only four years older than JFK.

Gimme Some Truth
10-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Both.