PDA

View Full Version : NJ man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner

RM918
11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Brian Aitken's Mistake
A New Jersey man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner.

Radley Balko | November 15, 2010

Sue Aitken called the police because she was worried about her son, Brian. She now lives with the guilt of knowing that her phone call is the reason Brian spent his 27th birthday in a New Jersey prison last month. If the state gets its way, he will be there for the next seven years.

Rest is at: http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/15/brian-aitkens-mistake

Even I didn't know the gun laws here were so bad (and here I was considering trying to go through the trouble). As pointed out in the comments, jury apparently never heard of nullification.

Dripping Rain
11-15-2010, 08:05 PM
:eek::(

KCIndy
11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Aw, man...

I almost wish I hadn't read that. My head is about to pop. :mad: And everyone who lives in New Jersey needs to read this article.

oyarde
11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Aw, man...

I almost wish I hadn't read that. My head is about to pop. :mad: And everyone who lives in New Jersey needs to read this article.

Well , Hoosier , Jersey is one place we can scratch off the list to visit or live .

KCIndy
11-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Well , Hoosier , Jersey is one place we can scratch off the list to visit or live .

No offense to RM918, but New Jersey has never, ever been on the "live there" list. Bad enough are the times I have to visit for business.... Sorry, RM918.... NJ has never struck me as a "freedom-friendly" state.

Hell, Indiana's bad enough! :rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Sue Aitken, grew worried about his mental state. In an interview with a New Jersey radio program last week, she said she works with children who have mental health problems, and she has always been taught to call police as a precaution when someone appears despondent and shows any sign that he might harm himself.

Is this woman 5 years old?

RM918
11-16-2010, 07:01 AM
No offense to RM918, but New Jersey has never, ever been on the "live there" list. Bad enough are the times I have to visit for business.... Sorry, RM918.... NJ has never struck me as a "freedom-friendly" state.

Hell, Indiana's bad enough! :rolleyes:

No need to dance around it, I'm fully aware of what this place is like. I've lived here my whole life and this is where my family is, so it's home for the foreseeable future.

It'd definitely put Christie up a few points in my book if he pardoned this guy, but it's not terribly likely.

pcosmar
11-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Adding never go anywhere near NJ to the "never talk to Police" list of things to never do.

:(

The Freethinker
11-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I live in NJ and am MAD that this happened to this good citizen.

This is why I am triply careful when I go to the range. Hell I think I'm going to buy a new case & lock for the ammo.

Man. This is why I refer to my state as the "Communist People's Republic of New Jersey." :mad:

armstrong
11-16-2010, 10:29 AM
ja;lfgjafgjqa'gfjaq'lfjsgl'afjgl'afjgl'fjg'lagfjla 'fjkgfkln

teacherone
11-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Is this woman 5 years old?

this happens all the time to elementary school teachers--they become rather elementary themselves.

either that or the mental deficients were contagious.

Toureg89
11-16-2010, 12:54 PM
i knew the gun laws there were bad.

i researched their laws a year ago for fun to show a stranger what he could expect in moving from Fl. to Nj.

Brian4Liberty
11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
this happens all the time to elementary school teachers--they become rather elementary themselves.

:D No doubt.

ItsTime
11-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Wait wait wait, he is not a NJ resident, the laws do not apply to him right, he needs to conform to CO law until he becomes a NJ resident? Like when people from VT come to NH they do not need a concealed weapons permit. Or do I have this backwards. Im not up to date on gun laws.

oyarde
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Wait wait wait, he is not a NJ resident, the laws do not apply to him right, he needs to conform to CO law until he becomes a NJ resident? Like when people from VT come to NH they do not need a concealed weapons permit. Or do I have this backwards. Im not up to date on gun laws.

How long to NJ residency ? In my state , he would not yet be a resident .

oyarde
11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Adding never go anywhere near NJ to the "never talk to Police" list of things to never do.

Already did !

Pericles
11-16-2010, 04:47 PM

I have NJ marked on my map as a contaminated area.

osan
11-18-2010, 06:43 AM
I have NJ marked on my map as a contaminated area.

You, sir, insult the contaminated places of the world.

For shame.

ivflight
11-18-2010, 08:21 PM
People need to start calling the cops on cops. There must be retired cops that are breaking the gun laws. Join a gun club, figure out which ones are retired law enforcement, then call in the vehicle/plate a day later, when the guns are probably still in their car. Pretty bastardly but would rattle some cages.