PDA

View Full Version : Eco fascists bashing Rick Scott in FL, think EPA should do 'its job'

tropicangela
11-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Mostly negative comments on the news article.

Paragraph 3 in bold looks significant to me. I don't know much about this.

Rick Scott joins fight against EPA water standards

Gov-elect Rick Scott today sent a letter to the EPA protesting tougher water regulations that officials say will be overly costly to implement. The letter was signed by several new Florida officials, including AG-elect Pam Bondi and Ag Commissioner-elect Adam Putnam and new members of congress.

"The cost of these new mandates could impede our state’s economic recovery and increase the price of utilities, food and other necessities for Floridians," the officials write, asking for a delay.

Background on the issue here (http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/water/epa-plays-catchup-on-costly-florida-water-pollution/1128624). Letter below.

November 12, 2010

The Honorable Lisa P. Jackson
Administrator
United State Environmental Protection Agency
1200 Pennsylvania Ave, NE
Washington, DC 20460

Dear Administrator Jackson:

As the newly elected officials representing Florida, we are writing today regarding the proposed EPA numeric nutrient rules for our state. We are concerned that the EPA’s unprecedented nutrient criteria rulemaking will impose substantial regulatory and economic consequences on Floridians. The rule for rivers, streams and lakes is scheduled to be finalized on November 14, 2010, and we request a delay so that we have time to fully analyze the rule and its affect on Florida.

We are very concerned about the cost of this onerous regulation to Floridians. Businesses across Florida are struggling and our unemployment rate is nearly 12%. We each ran on the platform of fiscal responsibility and heard from numerous constituents about concerns of an overbearing federal government that’s placing burdensome regulations on Florida’s families and employers. According to a study done by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, the EPA mandates set to be finalized this November 14th will impose capital costs of over $4 billion on municipal wastewater treatment utilities and over $17 billion on municipal storm water utilities. The cost of these new mandates could impede our state’s economic recovery and increase the price of utilities, food and other necessities for Floridians.

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) has expressed significant concerns regarding the scientific validity of the numeric nutrient criteria the EPA is set to impose on Florida, even questioning whether the standards are attainable or will achieve environmental benefits. In April 2010, the EPA’s own Science Advisory Board joined the chorus of FDEP, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, the Florida Legislature and others in expressing serious concerns that the EPA’s methods for developing nutrient standards are scientifically flawed.

Therefore, we strongly urge you to delay implementation of the final rule for lakes and flowing waters. Florida is the first state to be subjected to such federal rules, and we must ensure that the science is sound and the benefits are worthy of the costs.

Sincerely,

Rick Scott
Governor-Elect

Pam Bondi
Attorney General-Elect

Adam Putnam
Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services- Elect

Richard B. "Rich" Nugent
Congressman-Elect District 5

David Rivera
Congressman-Elect District 25

Dennis A. Ross
Congressman-Elect District 12

Steve Southerland
Congressman-Elect District 2

Daniel Webster
Congressman-Elect District 8

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/content/rick-scott-joins-fight-against-epa-water-standards

NYgs23
11-15-2010, 08:49 PM
The commenters on that site are the sort of people who assume that any government rule must be good and if you don't think so, you're a shill for big corporations.

Dreamofunity
11-15-2010, 08:50 PM
So, I didn't vote for the guy (I didn't vote) and I don't care much or even know much of him, but I have to give Rick Scott credit for his economic team announcement.

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/blog/rick-scott-names-fiscal-conservatives-economic-team

Can't say much about most of them, but Randal Holcombe is one of my professors. The man is a principled Austrian/Public Choice (http://search.mises.org/search?q=holcombe&site=default_collection)economist. At least Rick is keeping somewhat good company.