PDA

View Full Version : George Phillies for President?

RevolutionSD
10-20-2007, 10:38 AM
I just saw a google adwords for George Phillies, libertarian for president. What is he thinking running this year? Is he that selfish that he wants to siphon votes from Ron Paul? Why not just back the Libertarian that's running as a Republican?

I find it bizarre that any Libertarian would run in 2008 and expect to get anywhere close to the attention RP is getting!

Dustancostine
10-20-2007, 10:40 AM
The LP has to have a candidate if RP doesn't win the primary. And even if RP wins the primary they may still want a candidate.

ziggy_encaoua
10-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Your right of course but unfortunately not all libertarians are fans of Ron Paul

What is really scary is there are libertarians running for local & state elections in support of the war & I can't believe they've got the cheek to call themselves libertarians

jgmaynard
10-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah, the National LP will run their own candidate regardless of Ron. Here in NH, we had a libertarian in Republican clothing as governor and when he ran for re-election, the LPNH did not run a candidate and (IIRC) endorsed Benson. I seem to recall the LPNH caught flack for that one from National HQ, but it endeared us to a much more "pragmatic" group of volunteers and voters.

JM

RonPaulIsGood
10-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Ron Paul is much better than the Libertarians. Phillies and Wayne Allyn Root are pro-income tax and appears to be pro-Patriot Act (and appear to be ignorant or hypocrites since they said they support the Constitution). Phillies is anti-Ron Paul. Imperato is pro-war and big government. Steve Kubby is the only true small-government Libertarian candidate but pro-immigration, but Paul is better. Kubby said he endorses Ron Paul.

Don't vote for a Libertarian candidate, vote for Ron Paul

RevolutionSD
10-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Ron Paul is much better than the Libertarians. Phillies and Wayne Allyn Root are pro-income tax and appears to be pro-Patriot Act (and appear to be ignorant or hypocrites since they said they support the Constitution). Phillies is anti-Ron Paul. Imperato is pro-war and big government. Steve Kubby is the only true small-government Libertarian candidate but pro-immigration, but Paul is better. Kubby said he endorses Ron Paul.

Don't vote for a Libertarian candidate, vote for Ron Paul

I'm "pro-immigration" too, I just don't want to give the illegals a bag of goodies as they cross the border. End the welfare state and you've solved the immigration problem.

Shink
10-20-2007, 10:55 PM
That ad angers me when you see the versions taking swipes at Ron. 'real libertarian, don't accept a 2-party candidate,' etc. Makes me mad to think that 10K+ will vote for 'The Party' over Ron. However, I hear they'd lose future ballot access if they just backed Ron...

LibertyOfOne
10-21-2007, 02:51 AM
If the LP does not run someone they will lose ballot access thanks to the shitty laws on the books.

LibertyOfOne
10-21-2007, 02:52 AM
Yeah, the National LP will run their own candidate regardless of Ron. Here in NH, we had a libertarian in Republican clothing as governor and when he ran for re-election, the LPNH did not run a candidate and (IIRC) endorsed Benson. I seem to recall the LPNH caught flack for that one from National HQ, but it endeared us to a much more "pragmatic" group of volunteers and voters.

JM

Neo-Cons are trying to take over the party. In some areas they have won, others they have lost. The LP needs reform to kick out all the leeches.

RonPaulIsGood
10-21-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm "pro-immigration" too, I just don't want to give the illegals a bag of goodies as they cross the border. End the welfare state and you've solved the immigration problem.

Think of what Ron Paul does when Kubby does not: States' rights, Gold Standard, withdraw troops from South Korea and Iran, withdraw from the United Nations, NAU, etc.

Ron Paul is not only an libertarian, but an economic libertarian.

freedominnumbers
10-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Why wouldn't the libertarian party run RP on their ticket as well.

We play it right maybe we can get his name on the ballot in 2 or 3 places.

RP Supporter
10-21-2007, 10:45 AM
From what I’ve read, much of the Libertarian party in fact supports Paul, and people like another Libertarian candidate, Steve Kubby have endorsed him for the Republican nomination. In fact, Kubby said that should Paul get the Republican nomination, he would urge the Libertarian party to change its bylaws or nominate “none of the above” while endorsing Ron Paul at the convention. I think you would still see a splinter Libertarian run, but they would not have the support of the party and would probably get less then 10000 votes.