PDA

View Full Version : Senator Graham says "stunned" at Karzai comments

Agorism
11-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Karzai wants troops out (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AD22O20101114?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FPoliticsNews+%28New s+%2F+US+%2F+Politics+News%29)

(Reuters) - Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who met with Afghan President Hamid Karzai during a recent visit, said on Sunday he was "stunned" at Karzai's comments to a Washington newspaper, which appeared at odds with U.S. military strategy.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Karzai said he wants the U.S. military to scale back the visibility and intensity of its operations in Afghanistan and end night raids that he said incited people to join the Taliban insurgency.

Karzai's comments put him at odds with General David Petraeus, who has made "capture-and-kill" missions a central part of counterinsurgency strategy, the Post said.

"I'm just stunned. We had a great meeting," Graham, part of a visiting congressional delegation that had dinner with Karzai, said on ABC's "This Week."

"We were briefed by our military commanders that the night raids ... are making a huge impact on the Taliban ...," said Graham, adding: "This didn't come up at all" in discussions with Karzai.

"We talked about, quite frankly, looking long term with Afghanistan about having two air bases in a permanent fashion in Afghanistan to provide stability, so at the end of the day, there was no discussion about a difference between Petraeus and Karzai, in terms of strategy," he said.

In the Washington Post interview, Karzai said his comments were not meant as criticism of the United States and that candor could improve what he called a "grudging" relationship between the two countries.

Night raids of Afghan homes by U.S. Special Operations forces had killed or captured 368 insurgency leaders in the past three months, the Post said.

On pulling U.S. troops out of Afghanistan, Graham, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said 2014 was a more realistic time frame than the July 2011 deadline President Barack Obama had set for beginning a withdrawal. Obama's administration is now playing down that date.

"2014 is the right date to talk about. That's when Karzai suggests that Afghans will be in the lead and I'm very pleased to hear President Obama talk about 2014," said Graham.

(Reporting by Tabassum Zakaria; editing by Christopher Wilson)

FSP-Rebel
11-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Great idea, Flimsey. Wait til 2014 to begin a discussion over troop withdrawal and then we might not be able to afford to bring them back. Sheer genius:rolleyes:

awake
11-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Another tinpot propped up dictator who will turn on the ones who should not have placed him into power. Boy can I not wait when the tentacles wither with the dollar.

angelatc
11-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Permanant air bases work wonders at improving stability. I mean, the Saudis were thrilled with us staying there after the war was over, right?

Aratus
11-14-2010, 04:15 PM
senator graham's definition of a great meeting is more photo-op and less talk???
and if not... then what is a "great meeting"...? anyone have any ideas on this...?

Koz
11-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Can we get that guy out in two years?? I'm not a huge fan of DeMint, but he is alot better than Graham.

anaconda
11-14-2010, 05:43 PM
I hope Lindsay didn't hit on Karzai. Would be unprofessional.

Heimdallr
11-14-2010, 05:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man :rolleyes:

moostraks
11-14-2010, 05:47 PM
KArzai: "end night raids that he said incited people to join the Taliban insurgency."

Graham"We were briefed by our military commanders that the night raids ... are making a huge impact on the Taliban"

Me thinks they see the impact on the Taliban issue in two different ways. I love that we are wanting to put in permanent bases to provide stability. THey hate us why???? Folks need to walk a mile in anothers moccassins and figure it out!!!

Agorism
11-14-2010, 06:08 PM
We'll put a boot up his ass, it's the American way.

YouTube - Toby Keith-courtesy of the Red White and Blue(war in iraq) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFs8wTK2tfg)

speciallyblend
11-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Another tinpot propped up dictator who will turn on the ones who should not have placed him into power. Boy can I not wait when the tentacles wither with the dollar.

typical american policy,create the enemy you fight!! We fund them train them then we fight them!!

devil21
11-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Remember that it was not too long ago that Karzai plainly stated that most of the terrorism occuring in Afghanistan was the work of Blackwater, not "insurgents".

Brett85
11-14-2010, 09:34 PM
"2014 is the right date to talk about. That's when Karzai suggests that Afghans will be in the lead and I'm very pleased to hear President Obama talk about 2014," said Graham.

The fact that Lindsey Graham is the leading cheerleader for what we're doing in Afghanistan simply proves that what we're doing over there is not "conservative" in any way.

angelatc
11-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Can we get that guy out in two years?? I'm not a huge fan of DeMint, but he is alot better than Graham.

No, he was elected in '08, so he has 4 years left. We had a good candidate running against him last time around, but he had almost no money. Plus, the TEA Party had not yet awakened the conservatives. I think Conley's effort was ahead of the wave. If he had been running in '10, he might have had a chance.