PDA

View Full Version : DeMint: Maybe it’s time to consider a new RNC chairman

Agorism
11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/14/demint-michael-steele-rnc_n_783226.html

Jim DeMint On Michael Steele's RNC Reelection Bid: 'I Am Looking For Some Alternatives'

There has been a subdued blame game being waged in Republican circles for weeks over who is at fault for the failure to pick up more Senate seats than the six the party gained in the 2010 midterm elections. On one side is the Republican establishment, which has pointed fingers at the Tea Party movement for nominating candidates who weren't viable in a general election format. On the other is a class of activists and practitioners who argue that the Republican National Committee lacked the resources to harness the enthusiasm of the base.

On Sunday, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) added a bit of fuel to the fire when he refused to support the re-election hopes of RNC Chairman Michael Steele, saying he would look for alternatives instead.

"I want to look at the choices," DeMint told "Fox News Sunday" when asked if he would support Steele. "Frankly, I think where we lost a few Senate seats our ground game was not as strong as it could have been. We were actually out-manned on the ground, and going into 2012 we need a really strong leader for the Republican Party to match the get-out-the-vote [efforts] that we saw from the Obama machine last time. So I appreciate Michael Steele's service but I am looking for some alternatives right now. I haven't decided who I would support. But we need a strong national Republican organization to help organize the energy of the Tea Parties and the other citizen activism that we are seeing out there right now. We need to make sure we have a lot of boots on the ground."

As the Washington emissary of the Tea Party movement, DeMint has been accused of encouraging the type of Republican primary disorder that resulted in the nomination of Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle, Ken Buck, and the like. So his coldness toward Steele is not without a personal interest in reassigning blame.

sailingaway
11-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Depends on who. Steele at least has reached out to Ron somewhat in desperation. Compare that to whomever is proposed.

MRoCkEd
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
We need to replace John Cornyn at the NRSC.

Aratus
11-14-2010, 12:50 PM
was this mitch mcconell's sensitive calls? he was mulling over sharron angle sending his good buddy
into an early unexpected retirement. this is the same mitch mcconnell who saw strom thurmond chair
commmittees well into his 90s. mitch's group of actual close friends have either died or retired recently.

nate895
11-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I actually do agree that Steele has been a horrible political boss for the RNC. He simply did not raise enough money. His primary problem was reaching out to the conservative base, which hurt him in the establishment, while not actually gathering the support of the base. If he would have come out full force for the limited government base, he would have been able to corral their resources and get enough resources without the help of the establishment. However, he only leaned in the direction of the conservative camp, which wasn't enough to regather support for the party itself.

FSP-Rebel
11-14-2010, 01:19 PM
It's kinda hard for Steele to raise money for the RNC when much of the grassroots were donating directly to candidates and/or the random tea parties. It's also possible that the big money interests were withholding just to make him look bad so their phony neocon buddies could make this very case at this point in time. Then throw in the pic with Ron holding up the fed buster book and I think it's quite plain to see why they want him gone.

nate895
11-14-2010, 01:29 PM
It's kinda hard for Steele to raise money for the RNC when much of the grassroots were donating directly to candidates and/or the random tea parties. It's also possible that the big money interests were withholding just to make him look bad so their phony neocon buddies could make this very case at this point in time. Then throw in the pic with Ron holding up the fed buster book and I think it's quite plain to see why they want him gone.

I think he could have been a great boss if he would have said one thing in his acceptance speech, and acted on it: "We have ignored the principles of limited government as a party. The last GOP President expanded government leaps and bounds, and we cannot let that happen again if we want to be a real opposition. Let's get our base back and make the case for limited government to the American people."

That would have been an awesome rallying cry and would have seen donations flowing into the RNC before candidates started their races, giving the RNC the ability to rebuild its machine which was critically damaged in '08.

Dripping Rain
11-14-2010, 03:44 PM
We need to replace John Cornyn at the NRSC.

this^ itd funny how he never got any blame when hes the one really responsible

libertythor
11-14-2010, 04:08 PM
this^ itd funny how he never got any blame when hes the one really responsible

Amazing isn't it? A lot of money was wasted on the Fiorina/Boxer race, a contest in which I voted Libertarian because Fiorina is a freaking RINO. Fiorina was also kind of doomed by being overshadowed by Meg Whitman, an abrasive personality.

That money could have been directed to Buck's, Miller's, or Raese's senate races.

Aratus
11-14-2010, 04:11 PM
if mr. steele had talked ms. CEO MEG Whitman of eBay out of the $120 million she spent on herself
and suggested that it go to RNC approved of people, if ms. CEO MEG then spends only $40 million or so
on her own run, would many more Republicans be in the senate who aren't right now? is this the call?

libertythor
11-14-2010, 04:19 PM
if mr. steele had talked ms. CEO MEG Whitman of eBay out of the $120 million she spent on herself
and suggested that it go to RNC approved of people, if ms. CEO MEG then spends only $40 million or so
on her own run, would many more Republicans be in the senate who aren't right now? is this the call?

The call is related to the millions sent to California by the NRSC to a Senate race that was unwinnable due in part to Meg Whitman's abrasive personality.

speciallyblend
11-14-2010, 04:50 PM
does anyone in the rnc even have credibility to be a leader in the liberty movement? love to hear some names?

klamath
11-14-2010, 05:02 PM
I tend to agree with Demint. I don't think more money would have helped. The democrats just got out more voters. People were completely mind numb with tv and radio ads. All minds were made upand it was just who showed up at the polls is what mattered.

nate895
11-14-2010, 05:07 PM
I tend to agree with Demint. I don't think more money would have helped. The democrats just got out more voters. People were completely mind numb with tv and radio ads. All minds were made upand it was just who showed up at the polls is what mattered.

The duty of the RNC is to build a machine to get out voters. They didn't have the money or manpower to do that. That is because Steele didn't go all out for the conservative base, but rather merely reached out to them. Like I said, if he would have come out swinging for limited government, he could have gotten a lot more volunteers and resources to get the voters out.

klamath
11-14-2010, 05:56 PM
The duty of the RNC is to build a machine to get out voters. They didn't have the money or manpower to do that. That is because Steele didn't go all out for the conservative base, but rather merely reached out to them. Like I said, if he would have come out swinging for limited government, he could have gotten a lot more volunteers and resources to get the voters out.
I agree. They didn't do enough to make the conservative voters believe there was any change from the Bush years.

Agorism
11-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Steele thinks Iraq was dumb. That's why DeMint doesn't like him.

I doubt these same people will go all out for Paul if he wins the nomination either.