PDA

View Full Version : Washington ban's alcoholic energy drink Four Loko

Esor
11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
As one very adamant mom writes...

Kudos to Governor Chris Gregoire, who just made the announcement today that the alcoholic energy drink, Four Lokos, has been banned from the state of Washington. Swift action was taken by Washington state lawmakers on the heels of the nine Central Washington University students that were hospitalized after drinking “Four Lokos” at a party.
Just hours after the ban, store reported cases of the popular alcoholic energy drinks flying off the shelves.
A local TV station, KREM, even reported that Hamilton Market near Gonzaga University in Spokane sold 30 cases of Four Loco after the announcement of the ban which is to take effect next Thursday, November 18.
The caffiene and alcohol combination, which comes in brightly colored cans and seemingly innocent flavors – like lemonade, fruit punch and blue raspberry – is the source of a lot of controversy because of the flavors, content and packaging. Each can is a combination of 12% alcohol and caffeine. This brew ends up being the equivilant of having four cups of coffee and four beers, all in one single can.
The bordering states of Oregon and Idaho have yet to ban the drink, but Washington is hoping other states follow suit.
Would you want your kids at college with this legal, yet potentially lethal cocktail? Kudos to Washington state for acting so quickly on this important issue.

http://everykindofmom.com/2010/11/kudos-to-washington-state-for-swift-ban-of-four-lokos-alcoholic-drink/

More and better information can be found here:
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/the-problem-solver/2010/11/four-loko-alcoholic-energy-drink-faces-more-criticism.html
http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20101112/LIFESTYLE/11120312

lester1/2jr
11-13-2010, 05:00 PM
They may ban this but the trend of mixing alcohol w/ caffeine is here to stay.

nate895
11-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I do not support this ban, obviously, but I do not know what crazy nut job would want to drink those things. It just sounds like a recipe for some serious health problems.

Esor
11-13-2010, 05:45 PM
It just sounds like a recipe for some serious health problems.

That's because they are made from purified liquid evil.

Maximus
11-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't drink energy drinks, I'd never drink those, but man... banning Four Locos is stupid

Now the kids will just buy red bull and vodka and mix it, or red bull and jager (jager bombs!)... really what have they accomplished?

dannno
11-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I do not support this ban, obviously, but I do not know what crazy nut job would want to drink those things. It just sounds like a recipe for some serious health problems.

Nah, you wouldn't want to drink them all the time, but for someone who is young and fairly healthy they are perfectly fine. Most of the ingredients are natural and legal, taurine, guarana, caffeine, alcohol.. I enjoy them, but only when I'm going out to party for hours on end and want some extra energy. Only ONE of these drinks is required. I'm guessing the kids who went to the hospital, instead of drinking ONE and moving onto other alcohol drinks, probably all got a case and instead drank two or three or more.. either that or they drank WAYY too much alcohol after drinking one or two of them.

The great part about these things is you drink one and you are good to go.. you can go out to a club or whatever and only have to order one or two drinks since you've already had 2-3 drinks plus a bunch of uppers.

That's because they are made from purified liquid evil.

LOL, ya, they are pretty nuts, but I've always had good experiences.

Guitarzan
11-13-2010, 05:52 PM
^^ Speak for yourself...if one equals 4 beers, I'd need 3.

Esor
11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
My friend drank two and then puked blue for fifteen minutes.

nate895
11-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Nah, you wouldn't want to drink them all the time, but for someone who is young and fairly healthy they are perfectly fine. Most of the ingredients are natural and legal, taurine, guarana, caffeine, alcohol.. I enjoy them, but only when I'm going out to party for hours on end and want some extra energy. Only ONE of these drinks is required. I'm guessing the kids who went to the hospital, instead of drinking ONE and moving onto other alcohol drinks, probably all got a case and instead drank two or three or more.. either that or they drank WAYY too much alcohol after drinking one or two of them.

The great part about these things is you drink one and you are good to go.. you can go out to a club or whatever and only have to order one or two drinks since you've already had 2-3 drinks plus a bunch of uppers.

Consuming one of anything that isn't deadly poison isn't going to kill you, but a consistent does of four beers and cups of coffee in one dose cannot be good for the body. I am young and healthy, and would probably be fine if I drank one right now, but if I drank them consistently, I know I would have some serious problems. Basically, this drink is liquefied stress. Some stress is actually necessary, and stress won't kill you, but too much of it will cause other problems to develop.

Oh, and snake venom is a natural too, that doesn't mean it is good for you. Being 100% natural isn't in-and-of-itself a good thing.

Promontorium
11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
I drank 2 last night. I usually drink 2 on either a Friday or Saturday. I can drink 1 on a weeknight. Assuming 5% as a standard alcohol amount for beer, 1 can is like 4.7 beers.

In Japan there's a similar drink that is nationally popular for all ages called Chu-Hi, although it doesn't necessarily have caffeine, the effect of a higher than usualy alcohol in a tall can can still fool people into drinking too much.

I don't buy the "dangerous" argument about mixing alcohol and caffeine, but yes obviously alcohol is unhealthy, prohibition won't work.

The problem is college kids are stupid. Here's a life lesson idiots, don't overdose.

When I drink a Four Loko, I don't down it like a frat boy, it takes me about an hour, If I drink 2, it might be a 3 hour process, at an estimated 1 drink an hour, by the time I'm done drinking two, I've already processed 1/3 of it. I also know my limits. I've partied in the hottest clubs in various parts of the world, and been to the drunkest parties, and magically I've never gotten so drunk I couldn't take care of myself. I've never "blacked out", I've never "passed out", I've never vomited from drinking, I've only had a couple hangovers. But I'm pretty much still a lightweight, 1 drink will give me a buzz.

You get these dumbass kids who feel obligated to get blind stinking drunk, Four Loko didn't invent college drinking.

Rock and Roll didn't invent violence.
Black people didn't invent smoking weed.
Four Loko didn't invent college drinking, and it hasn't taken it to another level.

STFU AND STOP TRYING TO CONTROL OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES.

Esor
11-13-2010, 07:25 PM
I drank 2 last night. I usually drink 2 on either a Friday or Saturday. I can drink 1 on a weeknight. Assuming 5% as a standard alcohol amount for beer, 1 can is like 4.7 beers.

In Japan there's a similar drink that is nationally popular for all ages called Chu-Hi, although it doesn't necessarily have caffeine, the effect of a higher than usualy alcohol in a tall can can still fool people into drinking too much.

I don't buy the "dangerous" argument about mixing alcohol and caffeine, but yes obviously alcohol is unhealthy, prohibition won't work.

The problem is college kids are stupid. Here's a life lesson idiots, don't overdose.

When I drink a Four Loko, I don't down it like a frat boy, it takes me about an hour, If I drink 2, it might be a 3 hour process, at an estimated 1 drink an hour, by the time I'm done drinking two, I've already processed 1/3 of it. I also know my limits. I've partied in the hottest clubs in various parts of the world, and been to the drunkest parties, and magically I've never gotten so drunk I couldn't take care of myself. I've never "blacked out", I've never "passed out", I've never vomited from drinking, I've only had a couple hangovers. But I'm pretty much still a lightweight, 1 drink will give me a buzz.

You get these dumbass kids who feel obligated to get blind stinking drunk, Four Loko didn't invent college drinking.

Rock and Roll didn't invent violence.
Black people didn't invent smoking weed.
Four Loko didn't invent college drinking, and it hasn't taken it to another level.

STFU AND STOP TRYING TO CONTROL OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES.

+1

But in the parent's eyes, their children arn't stupid. It is the evil Four Loko that did it! BAN THEM ALL!

libertythor
11-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I tried a can of an energy/alcohol concoction once, and that is all that was required for me to ban it for myself. :D

However, the State shouldn't get involved.