PDA

View Full Version : Remember that mayor whose dogs got shot in a botched SWAT raid?

Anti Federalist
11-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Follow along with this for a chuckle...

Cheye Calvo, you’ll remember, is the Berwyn Heights, Maryland mayor whose home was mistakenly raided by Prince George’s County, Maryland police. Calvo’s two black labs were shot and killed, and he and his mother-in-law were bound at gunpoint for hours, even after it was clear that the police had made a mistake. The raid came after police intercepted a package of marijuana sent to Calvo’s address through a delivery service. Police conducted no additional investigation before sweeping in with the SWAT team.

When asked about Calvo’s case in an interview a local newspaper last month, Prince George’s County Executive Jack Johnson offered up a truly bewildering response:

Johnson said he didn’t think an apology was necessary and said he has not spoken with Calvo about the incident.

“Well, I think in America that is the apology, when we’re cleared,” he said. “The authorities have to be able to follow evidence. Sometimes we realize that people are victimized. … At the end of the day, the investigation showed he was not involved. And that’s, you know, a pat on the back for everybody involved, I think.”

He expressed condolences for Calvo’s pets but said he understood the actions of law enforcement.

“I try putting myself in the situation of the sheriff who entered the house,” he said. “They had one set of information at the time. … The thing we have to do is make sure those incidents don’t happen again.”

I’m having a hard time comprehending what sort of mindset you’d need to have to come to the conclusion that Calvo’s innocence equates to “a pat on the back for everybody involved.” As for making sure incidents like what happened to Calvo “don’t happen again,” the utter cluelessness of politicians like Jack Johnson is precisely why they do keep happening. Over and over. It also likely factors into why Johnson presides over the county with one of the worst police misconduct records in the country.

I last wrote about Calvo’s case in response to a Milwaukee police detective who had defended the raid in a letter to the editor of National Review.

http://www.theagitator.com/2008/11/05/more-aftermath-bumbling-in-the-cheye-calvo-case/

Look what just happened to Johnson.

Karma's a bitch, ain't it Jack?

Jack Johnson, Prince George's county executive, and his wife, Leslie, arrested

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2010/11/12/ST2010111204006.html

Two FBI agents were at the front door of their two-story brick colonial in Mitchellville.

"Don't answer it," the county executive said, unaware that more agents were listening in.

Johnson ordered his wife to find and destroy a $100,000 check from a real estate developer that was hidden in a box of liquor.

"Do you want me to put it down the toilet?" Leslie Johnson asked.

"Yes, flush that," the county executive said.

But what about the cash? she asked - $79,600.

Put it in your underwear, the county executive told his wife.

She replied, "I have it in my bra" - which is where agents discovered the money after she answered the door.

That conversation, as documented in an FBI affidavit, led to the arrest Friday of Jack Johnson and his wife. Each was charged with evidence tampering and destroying evidence in a case the U.S. attorney called the "tip of the iceberg" in a broader corruption investigation in Prince George's.

"We don't go on fishing expeditions," U.S. Attorney Rod Rosenstein said at a news conference. "We expect additional defendants and additional charges."

Appearing Friday night outside the federal courthouse in Greenbelt, Johnson vowed to fight.

heavenlyboy34
11-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Poetic justice-nice! :cool:

TonySutton
11-13-2010, 04:28 PM
I love karma, she can be a real bitch ;)

youngbuck
11-13-2010, 04:32 PM
I’m having a hard time comprehending what sort of mindset you’d need to have to come to the conclusion that Calvo’s innocence equates to “a pat on the back for everybody involved.”

I suspect this is the mindset of a large segment of law enforcement, including the prosecution and judges.

pcosmar
11-13-2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.shafted.de/public/Ha%20ha%202.jpg

If this was ever appropriate,, it's now.
;)

Anti Federalist
11-13-2010, 04:36 PM
:D

Thanks Pete, I was waiting for that.

Yes, never more appropriate.

http://www.shafted.de/public/Ha%20ha%202.jpg

If this was ever appropriate,, it's now.
;)

squarepusher
11-13-2010, 04:42 PM
true but sometimes its very hard to wait for 'poetic justice' to occur

and if that really was the mayor he accosted, maybe it was a bit more than poetic justice :)

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer mo'fugger. Hey Jack, how ya likin the possibility of Federal Pound-me-in-the-Ass Prison now?

Hallamaat
11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Hahah. Seriously fucking awesome. :cool:

Reason
11-13-2010, 06:13 PM
lol

malkusm
11-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks, I knew when I saw the story that PG county was where this older occurrence had taken place....wasn't sure of Johnson's involvement.

Philhelm
11-13-2010, 07:02 PM
There are two dead black labs that strongly suggest that Jack Johnson should get the death penalty for his crimes...and a pat on the back.

Anti Federalist
11-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks, I knew when I saw the story that PG county was where this older occurrence had taken place....wasn't sure of Johnson's involvement.

Welcome.

I don't know that JJ was involved any more than his flippant and dismissive remarks, but just those were enough.

If it turns out he had even more to do with the Calvo raid, then, I hope he gets burned for it.

james1906
11-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I hope the jury does the opposite of nullification and piles on more punishment than their garden variety corruption dictates.

GunnyFreedom
11-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Gold

Anti Federalist
11-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Schadenfreude bump

TruckinMike
11-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I love karma, she can be a real bitch ;)

I'm not so sure about karma...

Woe to the wicked! It shall be ill with him, for what his hands have dealt out shall be done to him. ---- Isaiah 3:11

TMike:)

Mike4Freedom
11-14-2010, 05:21 PM
I hope he takes it right up the you know what in prison by the biggest you know what in prison.

pcosmar
11-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Same thing. Regardless of what you call it.
There are spiritual principals that are just as sure as any physical law. (Gravity, Thermodynamics, etc)

This is the law of sowing and reaping.
;)

GunnyFreedom
11-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Same thing. Regardless of what you call it.
There are spiritual principals that are just as sure as any physical law. (Gravity, Thermodynamics, etc)

This is the law of sowing and reaping.
;)

This. Spiritual principle is spiritual principle. You don't have to be a believer to recognize a universal law. One calls it karma, the other says you reap what you sow. It's really the same principle in operation.

"karma" is just a name given to a worldwide observed phenomena. That phenomena happens to be described in great detail in the Hebrew and Greek scriptures.

TruckinMike
11-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Karma just seemed a little vague so I thought I would place something concrete with it. No offense taken, no offense meant. --- now back to our regular broadcast....

TMike

mrsat_98
11-15-2010, 07:31 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/14/AR2010111403340.html

They don't, like , just make this stuff up do they ?

fisharmor
11-15-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/14/AR2010111403340.html

They don't, like , just make this stuff up do they ?

Well, sure they do... but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy...
Maybe if enough "public servants" end up on the receiving end of this type of government fact-checking, they won't be in such a rush to do it to us mundanes.

Arion45
11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Criminal gang on criminal gang violence.

Pericles
11-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Criminal gang on criminal gang violence.

Correct - a red on red engagement.