PDA

View Full Version : Wikileaks Roundup: Man of the Year, Assange the Swede, Blocked at Harvard, Telling th

Agorism
11-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Wikileaks Roundup: Man of the Year, Assange the Swede, Blocked at Harvard, Telling the Truth

http://zeroanthropology.net/2010/11/12/wikileaks-roundup-man-of-the-year-assange-the-swede-blocked-at-harvard-telling-the-truth

A short selection of Wikileaks-related articles from the past week or so that range from the amusing to the distressing:

Who is more popular than Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, and the Chilean miners combined? And leading in votes for TIME Magazine’s 2010 Person of the Year award, ahead of Lady Gaga, and Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert? Julian Assange, for his work with Wikileaks.

But for those of you who think that Assange is an undeserving ass, at least you are in “good company” : Meghan McCain, daughter of John McCain, who thinks the tea party movement should get the award, also thinks that Assange (who is Australian) is guilty of being “un-American” and a “creepy rogue Swedish guy.” M. McCain–surprise, surprise– “writes” for the The Daily Beast, which next to Gawker has been one of the leading online anti-Assange smear machines. What is Assange’s sin by the way? The documents he has published ”changed the way Americans view the war.”

Students at Harvard University, however, do not need to be worried about being contaminated by the influence of the rogue Swedish un-American Australian: Gary King, director of the Institute for Quantitative Social Science at Harvard University says: “I have had a couple of students asking [Harvard] for permission to use the previous WikiLeaks data release, and last I heard they still weren’t allowed to touch it.” See the full story, leaked to Cryptome: “Leaked Documents Provide Bonanza for Researchers,” SCIENCE, VOL 330 29, OCTOBER 2010, p 575.

If Bradley Manning leaked the documents to Wikileaks, then he is one of the very few heroes in uniform who deserved to be thanked and celebrated. In “What We Learned from WikiLeaks,” Jonathan Schell in The Nation reflects on Manning who was deeply pained to learn of the arbitrary arrests of opponents of Iraqi prime minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, and the brutal torture of Iraqis by their own government. (Remember that phrase? It’s one of the stated reasons U.S. propagandists used for justifying the invasion of Iraq.) In particular, the documents reveal the bloody activities of the Wolf Battalion, and how U.S. forces actively collaborated with it in sending them detainees to torture, many of them being killed. Faced with this, Manning allegedly told his spy/snitch, Adrian Lamo: ”That was a point where I was…actively involved in something that I was completely against.” Julian Assange, for his part, once wrote: ”Every time we witness an act that we feel to be unjust and do not act we become a party to injustice. Those who are repeatedly passive in the face of injustice soon find their character corroded into servility.”

Inkblots
11-13-2010, 04:19 PM
"Julian Assange, for his part, once wrote: 'Every time we witness an act that we feel to be unjust and do not act we become a party to injustice. Those who are repeatedly passive in the face of injustice soon find their character corroded into servility.' "

Reminds me of the Mises Institute motto: "Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito." Assange usually comes off as a jerk in interviews and new articles, but even if he's an unpleasant person he does very important work. I hope Wikileaks stands the test of time as a trustworthy channel through which that which is done in darkness can be proclaimed in the light. The very existence of high profile conduit for revealing secret information gives malefactors pause, since it undermines their absolute certainty that their classified actions will never be revealed. In a very real way, Wikileaks may be preventing toture and abuse right now. And for that alone, Assange should be Man of the Year.

libertybrewcity
11-13-2010, 04:55 PM
you can vote for him to be the man of the year! http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2028734_2028733_2028727,00.html

Monarchist
11-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Why is the prime minister of Turkey number one now?

pcosmar
11-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Why is the prime minister of Turkey number one now?

Thanksgiving.
everyone loves turkey.
:rolleyes:

Madly_Sane
11-13-2010, 06:44 PM
lmao

sofia
11-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Assange is CIA disinfo

Andrew-Austin
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Assange is CIA disinfo

No really, he told this to sofia himself before he bellowed a menacing Dr. Evil laugh.

He is also a descendant of Hitler, oh but wait that isn't a bad thing because Hitler was secretly a good guy, just ask sofia whom knows all these things.

sofia
11-13-2010, 09:51 PM
No really, he told this to sofia himself before he bellowed a menacing Dr. Evil laugh.

He is also a descendant of Hitler, oh but wait that isn't a bad thing because Hitler was secretly a good guy, just ask sofia whom knows all these things.

If Assange is such a "threat" to the Establishment powers-that-be....why does the media hype him up so much?

Examples of Assange disinfo:

1. Claims that 250,000 Iraqis have died (reality is closer to 1,000,000)

2. Claims that Iraqi security carried out torture. (reality is that US and Israeli security carried out torture)

3. Claims that Iran is involved in Iraq. (sounds like Bush!)

4. Claims that Pakistan is hiding Bin Laden (how convenient for the warmongers)

5. Claims that 911 truth is a phony conspiracy theory.

Assange mixes 10% disinfo with 90% truth.....ala Glen Beck. Trust me....my instints are never wrong when it comes to sniffing out phonies like Assange, Beck, Palin et al

heavenlyboy34
11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
If Assange is such a "threat" to the Establishment powers-that-be....why does the media hype him up so much?

1. Claims that 250,000 Iraqis have died (reality is closer to 1,000,000)

2. Claims that Iraqi security carried out torture. (reality is that US and Israeli security carried out torture)

3. Claims that Iran is involved in Iraq. (sounds like Bush!)

4. Claims that Pakistan is hiding Bin Laden (how convenient for the warmongers)

5. Claims that 911 truth is a phony conspiracy theory.

Assange mixes 10% disinfo with 90% truth.....ala Glen Beck. Trust me....my instints are never wrong when it comes to sniffing out phonies like Assange, Beck, Palin et al

I don't recall Assange himself making these claims, but they were in some of the leaked docs.(please link to a credible source to back up your assertion about that) I too knew that Beck, Palin, etc. were phonies, but I didn't get that impression from Assange.

sofia
11-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't recall Assange himself making these claims, but they were in some of the leaked docs.

correct...he doesnt state these "facts" as "claims"....He's more subtle. He'll just throw the bullshit in there in a seemingly benign context.....thus diverting from the real facts

Inkblots
11-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Ah, yes. And presumably you have an inside government source with even higher security clearance than PFC Bradley Manning, who leaked you classified documents showing that the previously leaked classified documents are actually fake secret reports, and also giving the real figures to counter the ones that the fake secret intelligence reports were just making up.

In that case, please share them! I'd very much like to examine them. But careful not to reveal your source, you don't want him to end up being tried for revealing classified information and likely getting thrown in jail for 50+ years. For teh disinfoz.

Aratus
11-14-2010, 11:48 AM
yes... lets say it was a bi-monthly continual leak for at least five years since 2002 and/or 2003

eOs
11-14-2010, 12:06 PM
correct...he doesnt state these "facts" as "claims"....He's more subtle. He'll just throw the bullshit in there in a seemingly benign context.....thus diverting from the real facts

I think you just accurately described yourself.